• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Woah just got to guild 8 and it jump considerably in difficulty. That second monster the Alz something lol his hits hurt and I was literally across the other side of the stage and he did this massive beam or sonic boom of sorts and it reached me from all the way from one end of the stage to the other and it completely one hit KO me. Woah. It's this expected? I thought my armor defense has been pretty good, until now lol. And how do you Dodge this. And damn I also have some weapons and armor to make but low on money. Yikes.
Do you mean 7?

MegaMelon

Whoo, just reached g rank. Any recommended armours to start with? Eventually I plan on making the amazing Seregios and Ukanlos armours but I need a crutch to get me there in one piece.

Whoo, just reached g rank. Any recommended armours to start with? Eventually I plan on making the amazing Seregios and Ukanlos armours but I need a crutch to get me there in one piece.

I've read Velociprey X is pretty good. 18 points in attack, so easy Attack up large or even extra large, Detect, Halve Stun, and 4 points in Handicraft, so sharpness+1 with a decent charm.

cMHcqyz.png

Madouu

Congrats to those that have reached G Rank already, I'm taking it pretty slow (especially since I had to restart my 30hr save after a system transfer).

For the insect glaive users, do you know if there's an easy way to get the orange essence out of Rathian? I've tried a bunch of angles and the wings almost always get in the way, seems pretty hard to get.

Reknoc

Congrats to those that have reached G Rank already, I'm taking it pretty slow (especially since I had to restart my 30hr save after a system transfer).

For the insect glaive users, do you know if there's an easy way to get the orange essence out of Rathian? I've tried a bunch of angles and the wings almost always get in the way, seems pretty hard to get.

Hope there's small monsters around that give orange.

Other than that just mount. I think I'm starting to realise that mounting for a IG user is more to get the full buff than to get some free hits on the monster.

JimPanzer

the testsucabra g-rank armor is really easy to farm and served me well until I got my Regios X

Wolfe

Oh okay. So when is it G? And how do I Dodge that move, am I supposed to experience this difficulty spike or am I just weak? Lol. Haven't had this trouble with a monster in awhile

Even his roar does quite the damage

Pretty sure in 3 it started at HR8, then once you hit that or after that it shows your "real" HR number.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I finally killed that magala. God that took me sooo many tries.
I want new armor, can someone recommend me something to work towards now? Just hit 6/7star village quests.

Lombax

Banned
So I am a bit confused about armor. Do I get the Skill points associated with each part of armor individually or only when it is a full set?
What governs my active skills and skill points?

I'm sure this is a basic question I just want to know if I should only be crafting new armor as a fully set once I have all the materials.

As an example here is what I am rocking at the moment:

20150223_073444.jpg

I finally killed that magala. God that took me sooo many tries.
I want new armor, can someone recommend me something to work towards now? Just hit 6/7star village quests.

This:

or

are popular choices because they're easy as hell to make and have decent skills for starter high rank armor.

So I am a bit confused about armor. Do I get the Skill points associated with each part of armor individually or only when it is a full set?

I'm sure this is a basic question I just want to know if I should only be crafting new armor as a fully set once I have all the materials.

http://s2.postimg.org/3wna4b79l/20150223_073444.jpg

Skills activate when you have 10 points (positive or negative) into them, and most will upgrade into better versions of the skill at 15, 20, and some even at 25 points (like the attack up skill). Negative 10 means a negative version of that skill activates. So -10 Attack would mean Attack Down (small).

Complete sets will always have a few skills active, and sometimes several points into another skill but not enough to activate them. Then you use Decorations (gems) to add points to that skill to make it activate.

You can mix armor pieces from different sets that give points to things you want, and generally at endgame, that's the best way to get multiple top tier skills on yourself at once, even if you end up looking funny due to non matching pieces.

Mets9

Seems like in Italy MH retail sales surpassed Zelda in the first week and is the first title in consoles's sales chart :)
(It will probably be surpassed by the order though)

jorgejjvr

Guys, I have money problems what to do xD and these hr7 guild quests are kicking my butt, any suggestions?? They better give some kick as armor after all that trouble xD

MikeDip

This:

or

are popular choices because they're easy as hell to make and have decent skills for starter high rank armor.

Skills activate when you have 10 points (positive or negative) into them, and most will upgrade into better versions of the skill at 15, 20, and some even at 25 points (like the attack up skill). Negative 10 means a negative version of that skill activates. So -10 Attack would mean Attack Down (small).

Complete sets will always have a few skills active, and sometimes several points into another skill but not enough to activate them. Then you use Decorations (gems) to add points to that skill to make it activate.

You can mix armor pieces from different sets that give points to things you want, and generally at endgame, that's the best way to get multiple top tier skills on yourself at once, even if you end up looking funny due to non matching pieces.

I'll look into these, thanks!
What's the best way to get those + parts from the monsters? Can I get those on expeditions now or do I need to wait for a quest from 6/7star village quests to send me to those monsters?

I'll look into these, thanks!
What's the best way to get those + parts from the monsters? Can I get those on expeditions now or do I need to wait for a quest from 6/7star village quests to send me to those monsters?

7* has a dual Velocidrome quest, and I think a hunt a Tetsucabra, also. You just need to do the Daimyo Hermitaur urgent and then talk to the people around the city.

Edit: Yep, just checked. "The Hero & the Captain's Trap" for dual Velocidrome (even has hunt 6 Velociprey as a bonus mission for extra +parts) and "Hunt-a-thon" Tetsucabra lets you hunt as many Tetsucabra as you want for 50 minutes (you only need to kill 2 and turn in a paw pass ticket to succeed, though).

MikeDip

7* has a dual Velocidrome quest, and I think a hunt a Tetsucabra, also. You just need to do the Daimyo Hermitaur urgent and then talk to the people around the city.

Edit: Yep, just checked. "The Hero & the Captain's Trap" for dual Velocidrome (even has hunt 6 Velociprey as a bonus mission for extra +parts) and "Hunt-a-thon" Tetsucabra lets you hunt as many Tetsucabra as you want for 50 minutes (you only need to kill 2 and turn in a paw pass ticket to succeed, though).

Thanks so much, very helpful!
Working on the Daimyo right now, just got the materials to upgrade to a Blackguard (Charge Blade) so I'm pretty happy with that.

bobohoro

Jumped off a ledge and landed a mount on Azure Rathalos while it was flying.

That was satisfying as hell.

I leapt off a ledge with a jumping Charge Axe attack ready to hit Brachy. Problem was, it jumped straight at me with its flying exploding fist punch. An epic duel that ultimately ended with me exploding in mid-air and hitting the floor.
Strangely enough, it was quite satisfying as well.

Some of the scens that can happen in this game are just too awesome.

And I finally got my HR armour, Velociprey with Attack XL gemmed in, so I can start online HR again. Also got a few more CBs, I'm sitting at 7/8 different ones right now, should probably farm a few Rathians, since that line has three branches and I want them all.

Thanks so much, very helpful!
Working on the Daimyo right now, just got the materials to upgrade to a Blackguard (Charge Blade) so I'm pretty happy with that.

No problem. Oh, I'm using Charge Blade a lot, too. I hope you noticed that Blackguard's Paralysis isn't active unless you have the Awakening skill (I didn't at first). Still, it has really high raw, so it's decent.

Also, quoting myself so more people get this:

This has probably been linked in the thread before, but here:

https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh4gdex/en_us

It's a 50 megabyte standalone program, no installation required. Has everything you could possibly want. Specific monster weaknesses, item carve percentages, armor set pictures for both male and female, an armor set builder for set mixing (my favorite part about this is as you add pieces to the set, it keeps a running count of all the materials you'll need to build each piece), detailed breakdowns of what you can gather from each screen of every area, etc. I've had it open constantly for the past week.

Sane_Man

So I just beat shagaru magara. Am I now in high rank? Does this mean I should be making new armor? I have used the tetsubra armor through most of the game and the extra health helps a lot, so hoping I can make something like that again.

Mupod

Skills only activate when you have +10 total, and some get stronger at +15, +20 etc. So, to take Velociprey as an example - you get +13 to Attack, +10 to Stun, and +7 to Psychic. This gives you attack up (small) and halve stun.

If you put in attack decorations to give you 2 more points in attack, that will take you to the next tier (+15) and you get attack up (medium). Not all abilities level up like this, many are just one and done at +10. However all the abilities on Velociprey can go higher, Stun for example if you get it to +15 you'll be immune to stun entirely.

You'll notice it doesn't have enough points in Psychic to do anything. You'll need decorations or a charm to activate that skill. Psychic in particular is not super useful at +10, but at +15 it constantly tracks monsters and makes paintballs obsolete - if you do use that skill, don't fall out of the habit of using paintballs.

Anyways, early on just stick to full armor sets. Later in the game it's best to mix and match a little since the armor will come with negative effects. But that works the same way, you only get the negative if it reaches -10. One +1 decoration will negate it.

So I just beat shagaru magara. Am I now in high rank? Does this mean I should be making new armor? I have used the tetsubra armor through most of the game and the extra health helps a lot, so hoping I can make something like that again.

Go to Dundorma and do the stuff there and you'll get another Urgent to kill Daimyo Hermitaur. Doing this unlocks 7* quests, which are High Rank. And yes, you can remake Tetsucabra, but the high rank version, Tetsucabra S. See my previous post for details:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153304841&postcount=7618

lyrick

Yes in the village you are now High Rank 7 Star quests take place in zones with high rank materials and monsters that have High rank Drops. In these quests you start in random zones and with minimal box supplies.

There are a few High Rank Monsters and a couple Elder Dragons still hidden in the 6 star quests and Low rank Urgents (some require HR4+ Guild Ranks though).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have now found 5 talismans and they are all worthless to me since they don't apply to the weapons I use.

On the upside, I have made some bitchin weapons, including this ice blade which is just a beautiful piece.

Mistle

I think this only applies to urgent quests, key quests are definitely shared. If I'm not totally wrong here you also get hunter points (which improve your HR past HR7) for quests others posted. So it really comes down to urgent quests, which are only completed for the person who posted the quest.
If I join a group and complete a quest in a HR rank that I personally haven't unlocked yet, will it appear as "finished" when I do unlock it?

Kule

I feel kind of stupid but every time I start the game on my new 3ds I have to enable circle pad pro. I saw online it should be automatic at the system level so how do I activate it?

Mupod

That 2-slot +4 evade distance charm last night was definitely a blessing but also kind of annoying. Since I'm using Rath Soul gunner armor it already has something like -12 health. Putting in 6 evade dist gems drops that down to -18 - and I don't have enough slots to gem it out. But thinking about it, I don't HAVE to. If i want to minmax I can just bring some mega nutrients to every quest and gem in critical eye +3 instead. But that would get really annoying.

I fought a Brute Tigrex last night. That's maybe the second-angriest monster I've ever seen, incredibly intimidating even by Tiggy standards. He gets tired out quick though, and he's adorable when asleep.

My next stop is Stygian Zinogre, which will upgrade my Najarala gun but I might want to get drinks unlocked first. I get that as soon as I get to HR4, right?

From past experience, HBG utterly wrecks Zinogre. But my -15 dragon resist would probably cause problems and I can't counteract it without drinks (felyne dragonslayer). I'm thinking I could just yolo it and try regardless, but I'm trying to take my time and enjoy the game at my own pace. Also part of me wants to wait until I make the Black Gravios pierce HBG before taking on Dahren Mohran...maybe I'll do that first.

Filth

I feel kind of stupid but every time I start the game on my new 3ds I have to enable circle pad pro. I saw online it should be automatic at the system level so how do I activate it?

Enable it from the main menu and save. I'm in the different boat. My new new 3ds can't use the circle pad pro. I'm pretty sad. :/

Pila

Seems like in Italy MH retail sales surpassed Zelda in the first week and is the first title in consoles's sales chart :)
(It will probably be surpassed by the order though)

Say what? Nice to hear :) tried to buy the game at my local Euronics but the clerk was like: "Moster Anter? Uuuhhhh..." so I just got it from the eShop.

Well just killed my very first Tigrex... real talk, I expected something more awesome, I've been playing MH for a while and people were always telling me how awesome Tigrex was... guess I really need to hit high rank ASAP, gotta play this game even more!

NewGame

Banned
Once you hit G rank you pretty much want to make Tetsu and the go right along to Selly.

I am really mad that theres no s.magala quest, you need to find someone with an urgent. So much angst right now.

Kinsei

Banned
Say what? Nice to hear :) tried to buy the game at my local Euronics but the clerk was like: "Moster Anter? Uuuhhhh..." so I just got it from the eShop.

Well just killed my very first Tigrex... real talk, I expected something more awesome, I've been playing MH for a while and people were always telling me how awesome Tigrex was... guess I really need to hit high rank ASAP, gotta play this game even more!

He's still a joke in high rank too. Tigrex has never been the same since MHFU.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Is overforging low rank / high rank armor in MH4U?

You know how in tri you could keep boosting the defense of low rank and high rank armor pieces to be close to g-rank armor in terms of defense? Can we do that in 4U?

Pretty sure in 3 it started at HR8, then once you hit that or after that it shows your "real" HR number.

G rank started in HR6 in MH3U

philberto

Neo Member
Thanks for the really helpful armor tips guys! I was finding the choices overwhelming and now I have something I can shoot for as I'm about to take on my first Tetsucabra.

I've put in about 10 hours and I think I'm mostly over the initial hump. I gave MH3 an honest shot for about the same amount of time and it didn't grab me at all, but I'm pretty much addicted at this point. The comparisons to Dark Souls are a bit overplayed, but that game and it's systems seem to have eased me into the game a little bit. It probably has to do with the complexity of the mechanics rather than any direct comparison between the combat.

I really hesitated to pick the game up and I'm really glad I did in the end. I'm kind of amazed at how charming the game is while also be really complex and challenging. If anyone is worried about playing it on the old 3DS, the experience is not that bad. I can see how the C-stick would be helpful, but the target camera does a decent job (at least at this point). Better load times and a higher framerate would be nice though.

Condom

Last MH is played was Portable 3rd where I used the scraps glitch to get money.

With having hit High Rank a couple of days ago, it has been money/item farming the whole time. I like to have 5+ decent weapons so goddamn that does literally require a million zennies.

Mupod

Is overforging low rank / high rank armor in MH4U?

You know how in tri you could keep boosting the defense of low rank and high rank armor pieces to be close to g-rank armor in terms of defense? Can we do that in 4U?

Curious about this too.

Also, do I need to hit G rank in order to take the limiter off my HBG? Will that unlock if I got to 10* caravan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom