• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Dalamadur has some ridiculous drop chances. Does anyone need help with him?

I spent all last night learning that damn fight. I'm barely to the point where I could farm him; the problem is finding 3 other people who wont get instagibbed by that beam.

I was in a couple rooms last night where a single beam carted the 3 other players and ended the quest right there. Infuriating...

Scher

Thanks. There is an elemental damage number next to the double lightning bolts. What does that mean in this case if it's not elemental?

It means that damage contributes to paralyzing the monster. So if you deal enough paralysis damage, you will reach a threshold at which the monster will be paralyzed.

Shiina

I spent all last night learning that damn fight. I'm barely to the point where I could farm him; the problem is finding 3 other people who wont get instagibbed by that beam.

I was in a couple rooms last night where a single beam carted the 3 other players and ended the quest right there. Infuriating...

The iframes on the superman evade are like half an hour long. You can just mistime it, then keep spamming it and you won't get hit. Ideally I'd only want to do it with 2 other people so you can cut the tail and back blade before it dies. Just had a run with 4 people where the tail didn't get cut and you need a lot of tail shells for the glaive.

Kinsei

Banned
The thing is, once you faint for the first time in the mission, you're screw, since the effect stop working after that. Using LR Zinogre Armor with taunt on HR mission to farm HR armor is a nightmare.

Max potions and ancient potions raise your health after you die.

Exile20

I was at HR3 for the longest time but cant get to hr4 at all.

I have the urgent quest available and did it like 5 times already. Can someone help?

Cob32

Just made myself a new all purpose set.

Full Tigrex X
3slot weapon
Handicraft+5 charm with 1slot

Attack up M
Autotracker
Scavenger
Sharpness + 1
Evasion + 1
Slow sharpening

I can gem in attack up xl instead of evasion if I wish also.

Pachimari

I'm trying out the various weapons in the tutorials now, and the combat is very satisfying. I have grown to love it much more than in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U and Freedom Unite on iPhone. That said, I really need help with 2 things:

• How can I map things to the dpad and the shoulder buttons? Can I only choose between pre-defined sets or is it freely customizable?
  • Why don't the camera lock onto a target when I click the L-button once?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The iframes on the superman evade are like half an hour long. You can just mistime it, then keep spamming it and you won't get hit. Ideally I'd only want to do it with 2 other people so you can cut the tail and back blade before it dies. Just had a run with 4 people where the tail didn't get cut and you need a lot of tail shells for the glaive.

I got through it, but I'm not looking to go back for a while. First fight to make me rage at people when they just couldn't grasp the superman. Which sucks because I really want that glaive :(

Shiina

I got through it, but I'm not looking to go back for a while. First fight to make me rage at people when they just couldn't grasp the superman. Which sucks because I really want that glaive :(

I just got the gem so now I have to make it. Killed it 5 times now and I've gotten 2 tails and 1 back blade. So unlucky.

Valus

What is a good Insect Glaive weapon/armor set for High Rank? I'm currently using the poison glaive and high rank Tetsucabra, but I'm sure there's something better. I don't want to bother making all the glaives right now since apparently I'll have to remake them anyway once I get to G-rank.

So can anyone tell me a good all purpose glaive and armor set to get me through HR?

I'm trying out the various weapons in the tutorials now, and the combat is very satisfying. I have grown to love it much more than in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U and Freedom Unite on iPhone. That said, I really need help with 2 things:

• How can I map things to the dpad and the shoulder buttons? Can I only choose between pre-defined sets or is it freely customizable?

I can only seem to get that to work if I touch the picture of the monster on the bottom screen. I miss just using L

jorgejjvr

What is a good Insect Glaive weapon/armor set for High Rank? I'm currently using the poison glaive and high rank Tetsucabra, but I'm sure there's something better. I don't want to bother making all the glaives right now since apparently I'll have to remake them anyway once I get to G-rank.

So can anyone tell me a good all purpose glaive and armor set to get me through HR?

I've been using the Magala one for a long time now and kept upgrading it, it has served me well, I am now thinking to replace it with the Hermitarus one because in he long run has more attack

The target camera will only lock onto large monsters after they have seen you and their icon shows up. Touch the monster icon to set the lock.

Didn't you always have to mark it by touching its icon first? I didn't play too much MH3 so I don't remember.

Yes, this is exactly how it works in 3 as well.

Pachimari

I can only seem to get that to work if I touch the picture of the monster on the bottom screen. I miss just using L

The target camera will only lock onto large monsters after they have seen you and their icon shows up. Touch the monster icon to set the lock.

I think I removed the monster icons from the touch screen, when I customized my setup. Do you guys know how to map things to buttons?

I'm having problems playing this game online. I keep disconnecting every hour or so which is making it pretty unplayable. I can play PC games online all night with no problem so I'm not sure whats up. Despite being a PC gamer for a couple of decades I'm crap with technical stuff, can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Help me neogaf, you're my only hope.

I think I removed the monster icons from the touch screen, when I customized my setup. Do you guys know how to map things to buttons?

I don't think that's something you can map to a button, especially since it would also require a toggle if there were two large monsters. It's touch screen or nothing. I play 3U with the classic controller pro and still use the touch screen on the gamepad for this.

HR7 keys done. A few were pretty dang rough. I got called a noob and kicked for the first time lol. It was more funny than anything, first time I've gone down twice online.

Gonna try out the urgent later then I'll finally be G-rank and I can craft some real armour

burgerdog

HR7 keys done. A few were pretty dang rough. I got called a noob and kicked for the first time lol. It was more funny than anything, first time I've gone down twice online.

Gonna try out the urgent later then I'll finally be G-rank and I can craft some real armour

So what you're saying is that I've been wearing fake armor this entire time? God dammit.

Pachimari

I think you can only map the monster mark to a button if you have a CPP or a N3DS. If you do, it will be in the options.

I don't think that's something you can map to a button, especially since it would also require a toggle if there were two large monsters. It's touch screen or nothing. I play 3U with the classic controller pro and still use the touch screen on the gamepad for this.

I meant more like, if I can map anything to the buttons? Will I only be able to use the dpad for camera controls?

I have a New Nintendo 3DS.

jorgejjvr

Any words of wisdom regarding HR7? I am having a really hard time myself, first time I found myself really losing. I hardly have any money, and I thought my armor was pretty good, about 76-82 in defense each. And i currently lack the money to do much of anything. I guess part of it is learning the new monsters, first time I faced that Akantor, his beam and roar destroyed me lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
dat gore magala triple explosion move...

I think I might make some dual blades because there is no time to fuck around with this guy.

Which weapon are you using?
I really do recommend the Veloci armor (assuming Melee), getting decorations to make it Attack Up M. It's easy to get, looks OK, and does the job well.

I'm switching between Charge Blade and Bow and I think i have a blade master Velicdrome set already. I went from that to Tetsucabra.

I meant more like, if I can map anything to the buttons? Will I only be able to use the dpad for camera controls?

I have a New Nintendo 3DS.

If you have a New 3DS then you can use the c-stick to move the camera and I believe you can also use ZL and ZR.

You can change what ZL/ZR do in the options. Off the top of my head you can have them move the camera left and right, function as up and down on the dpad, or as a chat shortcut and monster mark. Just look in the control options, it's all in there.

You can also change how the target cam affects the camera and if you want it to require a double tap as opposed to a single one. Beyond that, I can't think of anything else. If you want item shortcuts, you can put them on the touch screen.

bobohoro

What do I do with all those plates when I just want a friggin' tail from a tail carve? Stupid Shagaru Magala! ;/

I wish the thing would make a decent armour, but nope. Well it probably really is time to make and upgrade the Magala IG, since I have quite a few plates from both of 'em.

And I can't decide on which cats to use. Especially since they are so uneven in their performance, the same cat can go from being the quest hero to utterly useless in the span of doing the same mission twice. But they are cute and I like AI companion customisation, so I want to have the best palico there ever was!

ilium

For those that know, the Power type of bows. What damage does the power shot do? Is it based upon the charge level? Also, Would it be a bit faster if I just went for a higher raw damage weapon instead? Taking ages to down some monsters, so I am wondering if I am a bit too low.

the power shot is always 1 charge level higher than the shot you started your "combo" with.
unless your first shot is already max charge, then it's the same.

let's take gore's bow as an example. the charge levels are: spread(charge 0) - pierce(charge 1) - spread(charge 2) - [rapid(charge 3)]

so if your first shot is charge 1 your power shot will be charge 2. however, if your first shot is charge 2 your power shot will only be charge 3 if you have the Load Up skill active which increases the charge capacity of your bows.

damage is as follows: charge 0 = 40% charge 1 = 100% charge 2 = 150% charge 3 = 170%

now, i don't have the math to back my assumption up, but i think you're generally better off doing a charge 1 > powershot charge 2 combo, instead of charge 2 > powershot charge 2 (or 3) because it takes less time and stamina. charge is 3 is not really worth it, so you can safely ignore the Load Up skill, unless you want to use Seregios Bow.

edit: your elemental damage is much more important than your raw damage. you want to have one bow of each elemental to capitalize on your enemies weakness to get the optimal damage.

Any words of wisdom regarding HR7? I am having a really hard time myself, first time I found myself really losing. I hardly have any money, and I thought my armor was pretty good, about 76-82 in defense each. And i currently lack the money to do much of anything. I guess part of it is learning the new monsters, first time I faced that Akantor, his beam and roar destroyed me lol

I was just super cautious. Used my CB shield a lot more than normal. Luckily there were some insect glaive users mounting since a lot of the fights are on flat surfaces. For Akantor at least, if you get hit once, get back to full health immediately. Each hit can do like 70% damage. I had Defense Up L and it still did that much. It's crazy. Teostra seems intimidating but you can get some good hits when it does the sweeping breath attack. When it drops the powder just back up. Kushala isn't that different from Rathalos/ian. Just watch the tornadoes. Dah'ren is the same. Super easy. Had everyone disconnect and did half the fight solo lol.

Main thing is just make sure your health is constantly high and don't take any unnecessary risks. Let the fight drag out if need be.

I recently got this urgent available, is the tell very noticeable for the beam?

Yeah HR is killing me here whether its guild or village. Monoblos, Rajang, Teostra, Anaktor etc all make me faint at least once with armor with about 380 defense and take anywhere from 15-25 minutes. I don't remember 3U being this hard so it's time for me to
git gud
I guess

jorgejjvr

I was just super cautious. Used my CB shield a lot more than normal. Luckily there were some insect glaive users mounting since a lot of the fights are on flat surfaces. For Akantor at least, if you get hit once, get back to full health immediately. Each hit can do like 70% damage. I had Defense Up L and it still did that much. It's crazy. Teostra seems intimidating but you can get some good hits when it does the sweeping breath attack. When it drops the powder just back up. Kushala isn't that different from Rathalos/ian. Just watch the tornadoes. Dah'ren is the same. Super easy. Had everyone disconnect and did half the fight solo lol.

Main thing is just make sure your health is constantly high and don't take any unnecessary risks. Let the fight drag out if need be.

great tips thanks :D

I'm a IG user myself so ill probably do the mounting myself lol

For Akantor how do you dodge that massive and long breath beam attack, it one KO me from the completely other end of the stage

and im guessing beating these monster give considerably good amount of armor/weapons maybe?

I guess I just need to be patient and need practice against them

Beats

For Akantor how do you dodge that massive and long breath beam attack, it one KO me from the completely other end of the stage

and im guessing beating these monster give considerably good amount of armor/weapons maybe?

You just have to run to Akantor when it goes to the other side of the map and then stay to the left or right of it to not get hit by the beam. If you know that it's going to the other side of the map after digging underground you have enough time to run across.

I have no idea how to dodge it. I super man dived through it. It seems like it'll only do it when everyone is on the opposite end of the arena. Oh and yeah these dudes can make some seriously good gear.

Kinsei

Banned

You should always be close to Akantor. Being a fair distance away from it is a death sentence. To track it's movements underground paintball it and zoom the map in.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Uhhhhhh... why is Gore Magala so hard?

I have armor that maximizes defense as much as possible at this point, upgraded as much as possible, then eat food to maximize it even more.

Gore is up on a cliff so I start climbing the cliff, he shoots a fireball through the ground which comes out the cliffside and knocks me down while taking 1/3 of my health. As I fall down he jumps down so just as I am getting up he claws me to knock me back down. Another 1/3 of my health gone. Then immediately, as I am on the ground, does the explosions move. Fainted.

I like challenge that makes sense. This does not. This creature has never made sense in its appearances in the game thus far. I am not the type to try over and over again at something that requires so much time between attempts and getting such a short, non-learning experience while in the battles since the only rule appears to be that he's ridiculously OP and if you get hit once you're just about fucked.

Edit: I mean just psychologically speaking this kind of boss makes no sense because he's so ridiculously beyond other monsters that if you put up with it, the others seem like a joke afterwards, and the main content of your game shouldn't seem like a joke.

Kinsei

Banned
Uhhhhhh... why is Gore Magala so hard?

I have armor that maximizes defense as much as possible at this point, upgraded as much as possible, then eat food to maximize it even more.

Gore is up on a cliff so I start climbing the cliff, he shoots a fireball through the ground which comes out the cliffside and knocks me down while taking 1/3 of my health. As I fall down he jumps down so just as I am getting up he claws me to knock me back down. Another 1/3 of my health gone. Then immediately, as I am on the ground, does the explosions move. Fainted.

I like challenge that makes sense. This does not. This creature has never made sense in its appearances in the game thus far. I am not the type to try over and over again at something that requires so much time between attempts and getting such a short, non-learning experience while in the battles since the only rule appears to be that he's ridiculously OP and if you get hit once you're just about fucked.

It's powerful but is very limited in where it can hit. Stick close to it's back legs and only a couple of it's attacks can actually hit you. If it's on a higher level just wait until it comes down after you.

Shiina

Nobody wanna farm Dalamadur? Alternatively helping people with his urgent (HR7) as long as they can superman dive.

All I'm asking for is that people help me cut his tail and back blade fin thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom