• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ckman

What is a good Insect Glaive weapon/armor set for High Rank? I'm currently using the poison glaive and high rank Tetsucabra, but I'm sure there's something better. I don't want to bother making all the glaives right now since apparently I'll have to remake them anyway once I get to G-rank.

So can anyone tell me a good all purpose glaive and armor set to get me through HR?

I use the Magala one mainly when fighting dragons, if not I use one based on the elemental advantage. Other than that, I use the Daimyo Hermitaur one.

jorgejjvr

Nullberries? That use to be a quick way to make a lot of money in 3U. Farm them then turn around and sell them. even better if your farm is 3 stars

im not a 100% how that works. I put Nulberries with the Wycoon right? put it in 3 stars/rounds, and then wait, but for how long and how many do i get back?

jorgejjvr

I use the Magala one mainly when fighting dragons, if not I use one based on the elemental advantage. Other than that, I use the Daimyo Hermitaur one.

thats the one im working on right now, i think the next upgrade requires Guild 8, im in 7. All this upgrading requires lots of $

I also have the Magala one

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's powerful but is very limited in where it can hit. Stick close to it's back legs and only a couple of it's attacks can actually hit you. If it's on a higher level just wait until it comes down after you.
I figured that out, but the second I get there he flies across the room and starts shooting at me in just barely over the amount of time it takes to put my sword away. If I'm unlucky, he does the explosion move, which seems inescapable unless you're already sitting next to him, and he is more than happy to chain until I'm dead. When my palicos are out I have half a chance of him being distracted, but then he KOs them and it's 100% focus on me.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
dat gore magala triple explosion move...

I think I might make some dual blades because there is no time to fuck around with this guy.

Fun fact

That triple burst explodes outwards in a V shape from his mouth, with the majority of the hitbox being aimed outwards. What this actually means is standing directly in front of him (but not too close to his face) means the explosion cannot hit you at all.

I'm a great sword user so I would wait for him to use this move to break the feelers. Very easy to get a level 3 charge in when he's using that move.

That attack mainly punishes people who run away behind him or to the side.

Dice

Yes, I saw the pattern of the explosions, but so far he has only used that move on me after flying across the room before I can run to him. He moves crazy fast.

R0ckman

thats the one im working on right now, i think the next upgrade requires Guild 8, im in 7. All this upgrading requires lots of $

I also have the Magala one

No joke, I was doing all the upgrading then I notice I went from about 200,000 to like 30,000. I'm back up there from grinding again though.

jorgejjvr

No joke, I was doing all the upgrading then I notice I went from about 200,000 to like 30,000. I'm back up there from grinding again though.

Guess im going to have to grind as well, do some of the older quests again, we'll see, i desperately need money. It sucks that the money gets divided into all the players, i guess 2-3 is best

then theres offline, and selling nulberries which im not 100% sure how it works. Someone explain it?

ilium

, and selling nulberries which im not 100% sure how it works. Someone explain it?

you go to the wycoon, place an order for the item you want and for how long you want.
if you tell him to get nulberries for 5 rounds you have to complete 5 quests and then the order is complete and you can place a new one.

godbugs sell for more btw.

Guess im going to have to grind as well, do some of the older quests again, we'll see, i desperately need money. It sucks that the money gets divided into all the players, i guess 2-3 is best

then theres offline, and selling nulberries which im not 100% sure how it works. Someone explain it?

Go to the wycoom guy.
Multipy Items.
Place Request
Find either Nullberries or Godbugs (I don't know which sells better)
If you have a catalyst, use it.
Pick the max amount of days.

Each quest counts as a "day." I usually just let them sit there til they're done, but you can take some out early if you're desperate for cash. When you go to collect (Inbox), you can pick "sell items."

Now, if someone could explain how the talisman melting pot works, that'd be great. So far it's been... put in 3 shitty talismans, get back 1 shitty talisman.

jorgejjvr

you go to the wycoon, place an order for the item you want and for how long you want.
if you tell him to get nulberries for 5 rounds you have to complete 5 quests and then the order is complete and you can place a new one.

godbugs sell for more btw.

thanks!

Any other money making tips are welcomed

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yes, I saw the pattern of the explosions, but so far he has only used that move on me after flying across the room before I can run to him. He moves crazy fast.

If you have a weapon that can guard be liberal with the guard until you get the hang of everything.

Sure you'll have to sharpen your weapon more but guarding generally preserves your position and reduces the damage massively at the cost of some stamina and sharpness.

You can block the entire explosion.

Also you can super man dive through explosions without getting hurt. So if you think it's coming just get ready to dive.

XaosWolf

I just got 2 carted doing the capture a rathalos quest.

He always either running backwards and forward for no reason, or spamming fireballs from the air. First cart he set me on fire and poisoned me and I died in the middle of using a potion. Second time he just spat fireballs til I died.

Fucking' hate his instant jump-back spit as theres no tell for when he's going to do it.

Qurupeke

I made a room for HR3 hunting. It's not only for the key quests. If anyone is interested in helping me clearing them:

ID: 51-8145-5576-7326
Pass:0001

jorgejjvr

I found these other great tips for making money

1. Best way to make money is doing speed runs, as you get further in the game and get better gear, just hunt large monsters whose parts you do not need and sell them straight from the reward box.

2. You can convert guild points to money through replication, you can speed run lower end monsters and sell their junk, or you can run through a mission with a frenzied creature and they may give you a frenzy crystal or 2 netting you 2k per crystal plus the reward.

kulekitsune answered:

3. In Dundorma- the city with the Assembly- There is a bridge over a small creek. On the left side, there is some rigging/netting that has a fishing spot over the side. You can catch fish called Coinperch here endlessly. the small sells for 250, the medium for 500 and the large for 2,500. They don't need special bait or anything, and you can also get Glutton Tuna and Gastronome Tuna that have a chance of giving you various random items when eaten on a quest. You can also catch Canthagea fish, which can be used for gratuities to make the farms produce more bugs, shrooms, plants and berries. Fighting monsters made me about 20,000 minus consumed items in about an hour and a half, fishing in Dundorma made me that much without consuming items in twenty minutes. It gets hella boring, though.

4. Just to add onto kulekitsune's answer, if you are going to do this method I suggest getting ranger as one of your armour skills means the fish will take the bait on the first attempt.

No idea what replication is though

I just got 2 carted doing the capture a rathalos quest.

He always either running backwards and forward for no reason, or spamming fireballs from the air. First cart he set me on fire and poisoned me and I died in the middle of using a potion. Second time he just spat fireballs til I died.

Fucking' hate his instant jump-back spit as theres no tell for when he's going to do it.

After a while, you'll start seeing his tells for his fire moves a little more... You'll be doing a lot of dodge-rolling to get out of the way. Some of those fireballs are fast!
Other advice is to make sure you eat for Firestarter before the quest.

I'm on 5* Caravan quests, and was looking to try out the charge blade. Is the Dah'ren CB a good start? High attack, water element with an element phial. I can craft his, Rathian's, and Zamtrios' as well.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm on 5* Caravan quests, and was looking to try out the charge blade. Is the Dah'ren CB a good start? High attack, water element with an element phial. I can craft his, Rathian's, and Zamtrios' as well.

It's good. The Seltas CB outclasses it at the start of high rank though.

tuffy

What bugs me is the timing of Rathalos' homing claw crab is different. I used to be able to roll away from it consistently without any Evasion skill, but now it gets me every single time. I'm going to need to master avoiding that move or he's going to give me trouble in the future.

Kinsei

Banned
What bugs me is the timing of Rathalos' homing claw crab is different. I used to be able to roll away from it consistently without any Evasion skill, but now it gets me every single time. I'm going to need to master avoiding that move or he's going to give me trouble in the future.

You have evade distance up, don't you? Just keep rolling towards him as he's flying up and he'll go over your head.

I was out on an expedition and starting fighting a Tetsucabra. Then a Seltas shows up, then after I beat the Tetsucabra, a fucking Gypceros shows up and starts dealing poison damage, all while trying to loot thr monster i just defeated, and the Seltas still flying around and fucking with my shit. Shit was nuts. Never fainted though. Felt proud of myself, as MH noob and all.

I've always tried to tackle Rathalos with a ranged weapon. In MH3U, it was showering it with arrows. In this one, it's the Royal LBG line with rapid fire water shots. It makes it a lot easier being able to see his whole body when you're fighting him to see his tells.

stupei

A few possibly dumb noob questions.

I take it I get Talismans through mining and it's all down to RNG? Or am I wrong? Haven't found one yet, but that's the impression I got from talking to people in game -- and a cursory glance at google where most results are for MH3U and specify farming runs in the "volcano."

Also I've seen a couple videos that have really helpful general beginners tips, but are there any guides that give a useful breakdown for stuff you'll specifically need to know for multiplayer? I went online once and there were a handful of things I felt like I was missing or unprepared for just because they're different. Like what's that pinging sound meant to signify -- presumably meant to communicate between players -- and how do I make it? Does it happen automatically as a result of certain actions or is it manual and meant to draw the other players' attention? Anywhere that breaks down that stuff in one place so that I don't feel so useless and clueless would make me feel better the next time I hop online would be a huge relief.

can anyone help me with my Urgent Dah'ren Mohran?

Sure. Gimme your guild hall id.

A few possibly dumb noob questions.

I take it I get Talismans through mining and it's all down to RNG? Or am I wrong? Haven't found one yet, but that's the impression I got from talking to people in game -- and a cursory glance at google where most results are for MH3U and specify farming runs in the "volcano."

Also I've seen a couple videos that have really helpful general beginners tips, but are there any guides that give a useful breakdown for stuff you'll specifically need to know for multiplayer? I went online once and there were a handful of things I felt like I was missing or unprepared for just because they're different. Like what's that pinging sound meant to signify -- presumably meant to communicate between players -- and how do I make it? Does it happen automatically as a result of certain actions or is it manual and meant to draw the other players' attention? Anywhere that breaks down that stuff in one place so that I don't feel so useless and clueless would make me feel better the next time I hop online would be a huge relief.

Getting talismans is RNG in mining but they won't start showing up until you're at least to Frozen Seaway. Much more common from high rank onwards, too.

The ping sound is start (to bring up your menu), then X.

It also happens automatically when a player puts a trap down. Players usually use it to signify that they've found the monster, even before they've paintballed it.

Dice

Well lancer with the guarding ability definitely lasted longer, but with my palicoes dead he did eventually whittle down my health so I had to try and do something for myself, which he capitalized on since he is fast enough and the space is closed enough to have no time to heal or run away.

I think I'm done with this game for today, and for who knows how long since the rest of the game is gated behind this completely unfun and chore-like experience that is the opposite of what I play games for. 30 hours isn't a bad run, I guess.

Cob32

I just full superman dive this attack now.

ohkay

Man, I think low rank has made me forget how to play. I failed the gore kill quest because I've gotten used to being really aggressive. Time to get back to playing defensively and being patient looking for my openings.

Iryx

Doing the HR5 Urgent solo, and damn this Pink Rathian. Triple carted first try after 30 minutes, second try I finally captured him after 40 minutes, after going trough all my Potions , Mega Potions and Antidotes as well as most of the supply healing.
Screw your stupid Spinning Tail Flip. Screw your stupid Roar into wind pushing into Tail Flip. Endless charges and wind pushing preventing me from getting close after her attacks. Getting into a position to do any more than one hit without risking losing half my health was so frustrating. I don't remember her being this tough at all in 3U.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Is the Arachnoscale a good charge blade? I could grind that easily it seems, I like the sharpness of it. Lower damage than my blackguard though. Is it worth it?

stupei

Getting talismans is RNG in mining but they won't start showing up until you're at least to Frozen Seaway. Much more common from high rank onwards, too.

The ping sound is start (to bring up your menu), then X.

It also happens automatically when a player puts a trap down. Players usually use it to signify that they've found the monster, even before they've paintballed it.

Cool, thank you for the info!

Yeah I thought I might be early to find any talismans (just left Harth), but one of the NPCs told me to go start mining to get them so I thought maybe there was a chance I was supposed to be able to get at least one early, just to see how it works, and maybe I was going about it the wrong way.

Doing the HR5 Urgent solo, and damn this Pink Rathian. Triple carted first try after 30 minutes, second try I finally captured him after 40 minutes, after going trough all my Potions , Mega Potions and Antidotes as well as most of the supply healing.
Screw your stupid Spinning Tail Flip. Screw your stupid Roar into wind pushing into Tail Flip. Endless charges and wind pushing preventing me from getting close after her attacks. Getting into a position to do any more than one hit without risking losing half my health was so frustrating. I don't remember her being this tough at all in 3U.

Monsters definitely roar and use wind strategically to catch you in the middle of an attack and immediately follow up with one of their own.

In 3U they just kind of roared for nothing

Well lancer with the guarding ability definitely lasted longer, but with my palicoes dead he did eventually whittle down my health so I had to try and do something for myself, which he capitalized on since he is fast enough and the space is closed enough to have no time to heal or run away.

I think I'm done with this game for today, and for who knows how long since the rest of the game is gated behind this completely unfun and chore-like experience that is the opposite of what I play games for. 30 hours isn't a bad run, I guess.
You shouldn't have any need to heal as a lance user, his attacks are telegraphed far in advance for you to either evade away from or guard. Did you take advantage of the lance's triple evade and counter moves?

Try this out as an exercise: always stab his dick. See if you can't continuously put yourself in a position where you can keep doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom