• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sifl

Every time I try to beat Ukanlos, my group dies in the stupidest ways. 2 people just died carving his tail as he was under the ice, then 1 of them died again like 5 mins later.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I recently got this urgent available, is the tell very noticeable for the beam?

This fight was super overwhelming at first. But I will let you in on the things I found out to save you some time.

He has what appears to be 3 main position points on the map. (2 after he destroys one of them) Get used to where his head, tail, and feet are at each spot so you know where to do damage.

I noticed his beam attack always came right after a transition. He basically brings his head up and is already charging. The beam looks pretty reckless initially so keep your composure and don't dive right away. Wait for the beam to sweep towards you and then do a superman across the beam. Or use a farcaster to warp back to base if you are late at noticing/planning.

Always keep topped off HP and eat foods that give feline defender (hi) to have a chance at surviving if you mess it up.

Basically stay locked onto his head and watch him when he is transitioning. You can climb the rock he first appears around and you will be safe from the beam but you won't be able to attack. You can use this initially to study his movements, but might piss people off if you just hang out up here all day.

Made a Hunting Horn from Gore Man but it doesn't have knockdown/hearing protection which hurts. How do you craft masetro gems, don't see them showing up. Still using bone armor.

Kinsei

Banned
I finally got the Rathian ruby I needed. Now the only rare high rank material I need (that I know of) is an S. Zinogre Umbrage.

Made a Hunting Horn from Gore Man but it doesn't have knockdown/hearing protection which hurts. How do you craft masetro gems, don't see them showing up. Still using bone armor.

You need Najarala sounders. Najarala is a 4* monster so you'll be fighting it soon.

ohlawd

fuuuuuck this. been geting into lobbies where they hunt everything but key quests >_>

someone carry me through HR3 key quests

41-4980-4433-1176

That feeling when one person keeps carting.

And I haven't noticed any differences with Taunt/without.

It feels like they are a targeting me at about the same rate. I think that would be most useful on something like a Lance set if it does actually cause them to target you more.

You need Najarala sounders. Najarala is a 4* monster so you'll be fighting it soon.
Ah, I've fought him a few times but haven't picked any up I guess. Time to grind!

Edit: What do you need to break? Fought him two more times and didn't get any sounders. I'm up to HR 4 online so it's something that needs to be done so I can use new armor.

This fight was super overwhelming at first. But I will let you in on the things I found out to save you some time.

He has what appears to be 3 main position points on the map. (2 after he destroys one of them) Get used to where his head, tail, and feet are at each spot so you know where to do damage.

I noticed his beam attack always came right after a transition. He basically brings his head up and is already charging. The beam looks pretty reckless initially so keep your composure and don't dive right away. Wait for the beam to sweep towards you and then do a superman across the beam. Or use a farcaster to warp back to base if you are late at noticing/planning.

Always keep topped off HP and eat foods that give feline defender (hi) to have a chance at surviving if you mess it up.

Basically stay locked onto his head and watch him when he is transitioning. You can climb the rock he first appears around and you will be safe from the beam but you won't be able to attack. You can use this initially to study his movements, but might piss people off if you just hang out up here all day.

Thanks, I'll probably try him later today if I have time.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You shouldn't have any need to heal as a lance user, his attacks are telegraphed far in advance for you to either evade away from or guard. Did you take advantage of the lance's triple evade and counter moves?
If you dodge, you'll have to drop guard to recover that stamina. If you were trying to recover stamina and you have to guard because of the timing of his attacks, you'll still take damage, as well as lose the stamina you were trying to gain back. He can easily whittle you down in this manner because he starts out enraged which is relentless and the battle area is so small.

Try this out as an exercise: always stab his dick. See if you can't continuously put yourself in a position where you can keep doing that.
He runs away too quickly to keep on him with lance. Might need to use sword & shield or switch axe to be able to have guard while keeping up with him, but I really really really really do not like games that take so long to have a single short shot at trying again to learn almost nothing. Give me quick retries and I'll go at it for several hours, and have in many games. The theatrics and delays with the losing side are what get to me. It's just a waste of time and maddening. This game is either getting shelved indefinitely or maybe sold while I can still recoup the full expense since I got it on a deal.

Faiz

Ok it took me a minute to get used to Tigrex's new movement, but you guys were right. Total kitten. Even with the infection.

Pachimari

If you have a New 3DS then you can use the c-stick to move the camera and I believe you can also use ZL and ZR.

You can change what ZL/ZR do in the options. Off the top of my head you can have them move the camera left and right, function as up and down on the dpad, or as a chat shortcut and monster mark. Just look in the control options, it's all in there.

You can also change how the target cam affects the camera and if you want it to require a double tap as opposed to a single one. Beyond that, I can't think of anything else. If you want item shortcuts, you can put them on the touch screen.

Yeah I have seen this. Oh well, so it's only pre-defined stuff. It's all well though, I'm very satisfied with the controls.

Raide

Run up against a wall with Gore Urgent. I just cannot predict his moves enough and he just destroys me over and over.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Run up against a wall with Gore Urgent. I just cannot predict his moves enough and he just destroys me over and over.
It would be so much better if losing didn't mean several minutes of BS before getting back to the trying. New tactics could be experimented with, observations could stay fresh in the mind, patterns more easily adapted to, etc. But no, there is all this garbage between the short moments of actual interest/the only gameplay that matters since the rest is gated behind it, the cinematics and relocating and tasks of retrying functionally just being really long load times that can't even load themselves. The gameplay-to-blahblahblah ratio taking an avalanche of a shift to the latter.

Reknoc

Yesssssssss. Right well, time to retire my Insect Glaive as no moment will top the Pink Rath kill I just did. She limps off so I give chase, as she goes in the air and before she changes map I vault up and deliver the killing blow forcing her lifeless corpse to come crashing down into the ground.

K.Sabot

Yesssssssss. Right well, time to retire my Insect Glaive as no moment will top the Pink Rath kill I just did. She limps off so I give chase, as she goes in the air and before she changes map I vault up and deliver the killing blow forcing her lifeless corpse to come crashing down into the ground.

I never go for that shit, too scary.

What if you killed it in the loading zone and nobody could carve? Happened to me before and it was soul crushing.

Faiz

And with that, first triple cart of the game to Shagaru Magala. Shaggy puts too many explosions down and the breath that returns from behind you can DIAF.

Definitely need to bring stacks of mats for additional mega potions next time.

la_briola

Is there any High Rank armour with both Sharpness +1 and Evasion+ or Evade distance+?
This gives Evasion+1, Sharpness +1 and Evade Extender:

Nargacuga Cap
Diablos Mail
Ceanataur Vambraces
Gore Faulds
Arc Greaves
-----------------
+6 Evasion OO- (if you have this charm)
-----------------
2x Evasion Jewel 1
7x Jumping Jewel 1

-----

If you are 8* in the singleplayer you can try for that, same skills as above:

Nargacuga Helm
Nargacuga Mail
Tigrex Vambraces S
Gore Faulds
Arc Greaves
-----------------
OO-

And with that, first triple cart of the game to Shagaru Magala. Shaggy puts too many explosions down and the breath that returns from behind you can DIAF.

Definitely need to bring stacks of mats for additional mega potions next time.

He triple carted me too. Double carted me the second time through. That guy was insanely hard - definitely the hardest I've fought so far this game.

Santiako

This gives Evasion+1, Sharpness +1 and Evade Extender:

Nargacuga Cap
Diablos Mail
Ceanataur Vambraces
Gore Faulds
Philia Greaves
-----------------
+6 Evasion OO- (if you have this charm)
-----------------
2x Evasion Jewel 1
7x Jumping Jewel 1

-----

If you are 8* in the singleplayer you can try for that, same skills as above:

Nargacuga Helm
Nargacuga Mail
Tigrex Vambraces S
Gore Faulds
Philia Greaves
-----------------
OO-

Thanks! I'll check them when I get home.

la_briola

Thanks! I'll check them when I get home.

I did edit my post, made an error. Should be good now.

Second set:
20150223203814xru35.png

If you have the Evasion charm you can even get Evasion +2.

Faiz

He triple carted me too. Double carted me the second time through. That guy was insanely hard - definitely the hardest I've fought so far this game.

Yeah I was expecting a challenge! Wasn't quite expecting it to go down quite like that, heh.

I may step back and make a Gore/Ceanataur set before going again. I'm still running Tetsucabra.

bobohoro

I think I'm done with this game for today, and for who knows how long since the rest of the game is gated behind this completely unfun and chore-like experience that is the opposite of what I play games for. 30 hours isn't a bad run, I guess.

Gore is the first real challenge and honest indicator of what lies ahed in HR and beyond, and even for that, it might be pretty tame in comparison. So if you dislike the situation you are in that much and the notion of even thougher and more erratic fights ahed of you sounds more horrific than exciting, yeah, I guess it would be a reasonable point to stop, or at least think about if it is worth your time and frustration.

If you want to try again, I'd suggest to stick with the weapon you are most comfortable with/know the most about. Switching to a different weapon for certain fights is a valid strategy, but only if you know the ins and outs of the mechanics. If you are not familiar with a Lance it will probably not help you on a fight you are stuck with. Either take it to a fight with a monster you can easily beat and learn your moves or try to stick with the weapons that brought you this far.

From the posts you made it seems to me that you have your weapon drawn for most of the time. This isn't really ideal, since you sacrifice a lot of mobility and the ability to superman jump in emergencies. Sheathe your weapon when Gore is flying away and try to run around into a more favourable position, the best is between its hindlegs, like many have already mentioned. Poke that dick, but don't overcommit, better to leave yourself some reaction time to get out of the way than to get one more combohit in.

Be prepared. Take healing items with you and don't just rely on the stuff provided by the guild. Take some traps to get free hits, maybe demondrug/armourskin to boost your stats. Every little thing might count.

And finally, be patient and back off if your are in a tight situation. You can always leave the area, even go back to camp to heal up. You have 50 minutes, at worst, use them for hit-and-run tactics and put priority on staying safe and alive.

Now, if someone could explain how the talisman melting pot works, that'd be great. So far it's been... put in 3 shitty talismans, get back 1 shitty talisman.

There is nothing to understand, as far as I observed. You put three in, get one random talisman out. There is no enhancement or better luck factor involved, you just get another shot at a talsiman for three others you don't need.

godbugs sell for more btw.

In my experience, while godbugs sell more, nullberrys seem to produce more and overall come out on top in terms of money/resources.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I just realized it's kinda funny how i've been using low rank armor all the way through village 9 quests.

The LR diablos set gemmed for punish draw with the seregios GS is legit as fuck.

Punish draw makin monsters get dizzy all day like my name champagne.

Because I use the seregios GS I don't need to worry about sharp+1, and not only do I get crit draw, punish draw (which has a baked in attack up S), and quick sheath but I also get tremor resistance and for giggles I use a +10 psychic talisman until I get something better.

Psychic is like the nicest quality of life thing when hunting new things, since you never have to waste time at the beginning of a hunt looking for it.

I swap it out for a gathering +10 when going on expeditions because it means more chances for mats when you find treasure areas.

Yeah I was expecting a challenge! Wasn't quite expecting it to go down quite like that, heh.

I may step back and make a Gore/Ceanataur set before going again. I'm still running Tetsucabra.

Most definitely. On the second time around, I ate for Feline Foodie, since I knew I'd be getting carted at least once lol. I will say - the area you fight him in is pretty badass.

Psychic is like the nicest quality of life thing when hunting new things, since you never have to waste time at the beginning of a hunt looking for it.

I swap it out for a gathering +10 when going on expeditions because it means more chances for mats when you find treasure areas.

Heck yeah it is! I've been rocking Velociprey armor (now S) since the beginning for melee, and having that Psychic on is just awesome. It's well worth the added convenience, even if it doesn't help your fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom