• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, Pink Rathalos (HR4 Urgent) is a serious damage dealer.

Me and my roommate did fine up until this point, never got triple carted (except for in our own solo caravan) but we ended up getting destroyed fast. We ended up getting 2/3 shot KO'ed.

Time to try to upgrade to high rank armor it seems like.

Kazerei

Banned
Alright, I made the Gold Rathian high rank armor set, upgraded it as much as I could with heavy armor spheres, upgraded the Brachydios greatsword as much as I could, and got the powercharm, powertalon, armorcharm, and armortalon in my pouch. I think I'm ready for G Rank now :D

I just finished Caravan 4* Quests and haven't done any Guild stuff. Where does Low Rank / High Rank Figure in? Is that Guild Hall stuff only? I'm running Tetsu armor set that I crafted form Carvan 3*. Is it a Low Rank set? Will I have to reforge it again if I go to the Guild? and again for High Rank? And G rank?

Basically, I'm confused about all the LR, HR, G stuff I keep seeing.

Shiina

I just finished Caravan 4* Quests and haven't done any Guild stuff. Where does Low Rank / High Rank Figure in? Is that Guild Hall stuff only? I'm running Tetsu armor set that I crafted form Carvan 3*. Is it a Low Rank set? Will I have to reforge it again if I go to the Guild? and again for High Rank? And G rank?

Basically, I'm confused about all the LR, HR, G stuff I keep seeing.

Caravan 1-6 is LR, 7-9 is HR and some quests in 10 are G but not all. You also unlock some HR stuff in 6 later on.
Guild 1-3 is LR, 4-7 is HR and 8-10 is G1/2/3.

A progression that makes sense would be Caravan LR -> Guild LR -> Caravan HR -> Guild HR -> G

aka_bueno

While you guys are worrying about hunting monsters and stuff, I'll be here working on my tan with my poogie and 2 palicoes...

SRxeDfP.png

Salaadin

Is azure rathalos a decent set for a GS user? I remember using it in mh3u and liking it but I'm not sure if they changed it.

I don't want to give up my sharpness in this low rank gore/cenataur/tetsu set but I think I'm going to have to soon. High rank is right around the corner

Is there a good link for an armor/skill guide? Just not sure what I should be going for as a horn user going into HR4 quests. Bone armor isn't going to cut it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Is azure rathalos a decent set for a GS user? I remember using it in mh3u and liking it but I'm not sure if they changed it.

I don't want to give up my sharpness in this low rank gore/cenataur/tetsu set but I think I'm going to have to soon. High rank is right around the corner

Rath Soul set is one of my favorites in MH3U because it is extremely versatile and accommodates a lot of different weapon types but it's not as versatile (still good though) in MH4U considering how you can get much better skills way earlier on now.

I would use it with a great sword ONLY if the greatsword you plan on using is the seregios GS because razor sharp gives you a lot more wiggle room with how often you need to roll to sharpen (also it doesn't get benefit from sharp+1) and you have the ability to gem in either quick sheath.

I don't think you can gem in fast charge without a good talisman but if you can I would suggest doing that instead.

The high affinity from the expert +3 the set gives you lets you sort of get away with not having crit draw.

Honestly the LR diablos set has let me blast through village solo quests, I am half way through village 9 star and HR5 in guild and I haven't had a single issue.

Keeping your weapon current and having relevant armor skills matters a lot more.

250 defense should be sufficient for anything in high rank.

I'd like to know if over forging is in this game though, because that would let you bring lowrank sets up to High rank tiers of defense if that's a concern.

oakenhild

What use does sharpness have on a hammer?

Also, when a hammer loses power later on in fights, and starts deflecting, is there a way to restore that power?

Also, when a hammer loses power later on in fights, and starts deflecting, is there a way to restore that power?

Sharpness stops thing from deflecting. Doesn't really make sense, but its a mechanic, so sharpen your hammer and it will gain back its power/stop deflecting.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Sharpness also is your damage modifier. It doesnt matter if it's a hammer or a sword sharpness impacts 2 major things.

Damage modifier
Bouncing / piercing

At red sharpness your attacks do 50% damage
At orange they do 75% damage
At yellow they do 100% damage
At green they do 105% damage
At blue they do 120% damage
At white they do 132% damage
At purple they do 144% damage.

Also certain monsters require a certain sharpness level for your attack to penetrate their hide on certain body parts. If they don't meet that sharpness level then they bounce, bouncing deteriorates the weapon sharpness twice as fast and won't let you chain your attacks together.

To recover sharpness use a whetstone.

Alternatively weapons built from seregios parts have a trait in which if you roll 5 times with the weapon draw it self sharpens a bit.

Mupod

well ideally you'd get focus and crit draw but that stuff is rare in high rank and all the skills on rath soul are good for GS. Earplugs especially, since it's a free charge. I'd say it's more of a hammer set but it works great for anybody.

Sharpness is the single most important thing as any blademaster class. It has a significant effect on weapon damage and whether or not your attacks will bounce off of monsters.

You restore it by sharpening with a whetstone. Yes, I know that doesn't make sense on blunt weapons, it's video games. It's always worth it to stay at your max sharpness. Hammers do have some moves that will NEVER bounce off of monsters, most notable the charged-up super pound. But that doesn't mean it'll do full damage.

oakenhild

Sharpness stops thing from deflecting. Doesn't really make sense, but its a mechanic, so sharpen your hammer and it will gain back its power/stop deflecting.

Sharpness also is your damage modifier. It doesnt matter if it's a hammer or a sword sharpness impacts 2 major things.

Damage modifier
Bouncing / piercing

At red sharpness your attacks do 50% damage
At orange they do 75% damage
At yellow they do 100% damage
At green they do 105% damage
At blue they do 120% damage
At white they do 132% damage
At purple they do 144% damage.

Also certain monsters require a certain sharpness level for your attack to penetrate their hide on certain body parts. If they don't meet that sharpness level then they bounce, bouncing deteriorates the weapon sharpness twice as fast and won't let you chain your attacks together.

To recover sharpness use a whetstone.

Alternatively weapons built from seregios parts have a trait in which if you roll 5 times with the weapon draw it self sharpens a bit.

Thank you both. I was sharpening my LS, but when I switched mains (thanks to someone else here for that newbie tip) to hammer, I stopped sharpening, as it didn't make sense to me. Doh! Back to sharpening, I suppose.

Salaadin

Rath Soul set is one of my favorites in MH3U because it is extremely versatile and accommodates a lot of different weapon types but it's not as versatile (still good though) in MH4U considering how you can get much better skills way earlier on now.

I would use it with a great sword ONLY if the greatsword you plan on using is the seregios GS because razor sharp gives you a lot more wiggle room with how often you need to roll to sharpen (also it doesn't get benefit from sharp+1) and you have the ability to gem in either quick sheath.

I don't think you can gem in fast charge without a good talisman but if you can I would suggest doing that instead.

The high affinity from the expert +3 the set gives you lets you sort of get away with not having crit draw.

Honestly the LR diablos set has let me blast through village solo quests, I am half way through village 9 star and HR5 in guild and I haven't had a single issue.

Keeping your weapon current and having relevant armor skills matters a lot more.

250 defense should be sufficient for anything in high rank.

I'd like to know if over forging is in this game though, because that would let you bring lowrank sets up to High rank tiers of defense if that's a concern.

Thanks a lot for this writeup.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Where do you get abrasives? Also, is it worth trading Tiny Spalls with the guy at the end of expedition runs? Do you get anything good out of him?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
There any good armor set generators for 4u? Looking for something where I can key on the stats I want and it spits out armor

The kiranico armor set building is pretty solid

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor

Lets you mix and match armors from the list and even lets you decide how you want to gem them. Also it tells you what abilities you get and what materials you need.

The downside is you cant pick talismans, but for that you can look for and download Athena's ASS (armor set searcher, would not recommend googling this at work though lmao)

Vuze

There any good armor set generators for 4u? Looking for something where I can key on the stats I want and it spits out armor
I'm working on an English version of my favorite Japanese skill sim (masax' GANSIMU). If somebody is fluent in Java and wants to help, maybe shoot me a PM just in case I run into any problems. :)
Apart from that, see the previous responses though I guess Athena's ASS is what you're looking for.
Man all this time I have been using Pings MH4G dex on my laptop, for some reason it won't work anymore :(
Huh, you're not the first person I hear this from. I wonder what's the issue. I've been using the 4G Dex for months now and this has never happened to me. Any antivirus that might be blocking it?

Salaadin

I'm working on an English version of my favorite Japanese skill sim (masax' GANSIMU). If somebody is fluent in Java and wants to help, maybe shoot me a PM just in case I run into any problems. :)
Apart from that, see the previous responses though I guess Athena's ASS is what you're looking for.

Huh, you're not the first person I hear this from. I wonder what's the issue. I've been using the 4G Dex for months now and this has never happened to me. Any antivirus that might be blocking it?

The kiranico armor set building is pretty solid

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor

Lets you mix and match armors from the list and even lets you decide how you want to gem them. Also it tells you what abilities you get and what materials you need.

The downside is you cant pick talismans, but for that you can look for and download Athena's ASS (armor set searcher, would not recommend googling this at work though lmao)

Thanks! I'll check them when I get home.

So I was able to beat Dalamadur on my first try solo without carting. Thought might as well since I was going to be stuck in a hospital for a couple hours.

Now to try the Ukanlos urgent.

Thanks to diablos991 for the tips!

Pbae

Is Morgharl Armor worth it for a Charge Blade user?

All these stats and stuff are over my head since this is the first MH game I've played but It's the rarest armor I can make so far.

Is Morgharl Armor worth it for a Charge Blade user?

All these stats and stuff are over my head since this is the first MH game I've played but It's the rarest armor I can make so far.

That has evade+1, right? If so, then yes. Evade is awesome on charge blade.

Nope, I tried disabling it and nothing... I even tried to dl his MH4 one, and that worked fine. So strange, it worked perfectly up until the other day :(

I feel like Cephadrome and Cephalos were contracted out to people who hate the game and when they were finished absolutely no one in the development team bothered to play test it to see if it was actually fun or interesting to fight.

Really feels like the game is wasting my time with that fight. If I didn't win that quest I was going to put the game away for a long while.

Well the maestro skill will be useful. Buffs last 50% longer.
I know that and I've been able to craft 3 sonorous decorations since my last post but only two armors have it by default so I need to branch into a new set and just get it via decorations right? I'm just completely lost as to what armor set to go for.

Also, what is the point where it no longer has any benefit? Ie, one gem adds +2 to the skill and the bone armor vembraces have +3 on their own

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Once I learned how to trap monsters I don't think I've killed one more than a few time since. It's so much more satisfying also all dem items :eek:

Rathian / Rathalos are so un-fun as melee, way too much airtime. Was a lot more manageable with a Bow back in MH3U.

Flash Bomb those asshats down and smack it in the head.

Trying to farm Gypceros head for Barroth set and went 0/10 so far. Then I checked the Wiki and found out the drop rate is 5% or so. Oii!

Man all this time I have been using Pings MH4G dex on my laptop, for some reason it won't work anymore :(

It might have something to do with a computer's Unicode settings. I've had that issue before with a program that used multiple languages. It just... crashed. It can be fixed if that's the issue, but you have to go deep into Windows settings.

R0ckman

I know that and I've been able to craft 3 sonorous decorations since my last post but only two armors have it by default so I need to branch into a new set and just get it via decorations right? I'm just completely lost as to what armor set to go for.

We'll I either super buff a sets abilities to 20 or skill set up based off of the quest and create equip sets to save that I can jump into depending on what I'm fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom