• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It never got tired, it raged more often, and a hit from it while it wasn't raging could take out half of your health

I can definitely see it not getting tired being a major factor. But it couldn't hit me even when raging so Iunno. I was expecting to get triple carted, and only got hit once haha.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ooooookkaaaaayyy...

I saw a guy on youtube who was taking waaaay less damage than I was in the fight, enough for it to be like a 8-10 hit death instead of 3. That is a huge difference, enough to make me think it is actually possible for non-psychopaths to work through. I did some calculations and my armor could definitely be better. He was using zamtrios armor but didn't say how far it was upgraded, either way my armor is 16 behind that at base level, so the medium armor bonus doesn't even catch up there, and who knows is if the spread widens with armor spheres. I wonder if he bothered to go through the green armor spheres.

That zamtrios set enables carnivore, which could be magnificent, but in the time it would take to farm that I'd probably be able to do plesioth since I already have a decent amount of mats for that, and it could be even better. Since it doesn't use faulds, if I went with zamtrios for those I'd have 6 slots for gems not including weapon. So I could get speed sharpening or tremor resistance. While farming what I need I may also get proper scraps for some better cat armor and level the cats up more.

He wasn't using any potions, but I could easily do mega demondrug, mega armorskin, and mega dash juice on top, perhaps even an armor horn to help my cats survive longer. Then a weapon that hits harder faster and has something gore is weak to would be a lot better. Say, a khezu shock sword, which would be easy to acquire since I'm most of the way there. That would be able to guard as well and still giving some good wallops on his head since trying to combo him is a joke, and perhaps paralyze him sometimes. Then I could use a mess of pitfall and shock traps since I'd have quick setup ability.

Question is... am I up for this much work to jump over the insanely-much-higher wall that came out of nowhere? How often will it keep locking me in tiny spaces with such insane beasts like this, requiring such extensive setup? Would I enjoy this as so much here seems gear-dependent for the real challenge monsters while said monsters make the others seem like a joke in comparison? I don't know. I just know I'm very sleepy right now so I can't deal with it's bullshit until I'm rested.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'd be okay if this game would stop making me attack and kill a monster as it sleeps, nestled around its eggs/future children. I know they're not real but...I feel weird anyway :-/
Smashing Kecha Wacha around gave me a tinge of guilt. I felt like I was attacking Dumbo.

Kinsei

Banned
I can definitely see it not getting tired being a major factor. But it couldn't hit me even when raging so Iunno. I was expecting to get triple carted, and only got hit once haha.

It was also faster too. That combined with the hitboxes made it much harder to dodge.

jorgejjvr

reaching HR 50. that thing is no joke. killed it and were killed by it earlier with two gaffers - much harder than g-rank 2 quests.

I don't think they're that difficult. I've been able to solo eight of then in the village. I'm only missing a pulsating blast heart but I can't obtain it :(

-Alternis

la_briola

zlCfzTCvVl8CdNzRQq

Okay you guys seriously overhyped the Tigrex. Frenzy Tigrex didn't even make me use a damn potion.

EDIT: And that's the first time I've ever fought a Tigrex.

Wait until you are HR50 and meet Molten Tigrex. :p

I don't think they're that difficult. I've been able to solo eight of then in the village. I'm only missing a pulsating blast heart but I can't obtain it :(

-Alternis

Guild/Online M.Tigrex is another beast. ;-)

JimPanzer

-Alternis

yes, I thought the same after fighting the village version, but the online version destroyed us and we were all in g-rank gear.

jorgejjvr

What would you say is good defense for G rank? As in, to defeat all the monsters? My current defense is 444,im guessing G rank defense should be around 600?

R0ckman

zlCfzTCvVl8CdNzRQq

Okay you guys seriously overhyped the Tigrex. Frenzy Tigrex didn't even make me use a damn potion.

EDIT: And that's the first time I've ever fought a Tigrex.

Being hard and being annoying to fight are two different things.

Speaking of which I think in some cases some of the more hardcore of the series are letting Capcom slip by with poor coding under the covering of "difficulty". I was fighting Zinogre, he did his tail slam and the tail still had a damage hit box on it a second after being slammed on the ground. I was doing a leaping attack, touched the tail after it had been slammed, with the sound and animation already completed, and I was sent flying by touching it. Absolutely ridiculous.

JimPanzer

What would you say is good defense for G rank? As in, to defeat all the monsters? My current defense is 444,im guessing G rank defense should be around 600?

yes, 600 is good. no matter what defense though B.Tigrex will often 2-hit-kill you because some of his stuff is very hard to dodge.

Tendo

So I tried theh guild quests yesterday. "OH a fishin quest. Easy. OH GOD WHAT IS THAT I'M DEAD."

Stupid red tusked thing :(

Been meaning to ask this for a bit ...

Why was there a nicely dressed normal colored Palico on my island asking me to recruit him after one of the times I did the meowster hunters game??

I accepted him even though I don't need more bombers mainly because I want to cleanse my stable of these radioactive colored cats (and it had cool skills anyway).

Ooooookkaaaaayyy...

I saw a guy on youtube who was taking waaaay less damage than I was in the fight, enough for it to be like a 8-10 hit death instead of 3. That is a huge difference, enough to make me think it is actually possible for non-psychopaths to work through. I did some calculations and my armor could definitely be better. He was using zamtrios armor but didn't say how far it was upgraded, either way my armor is 16 behind that at base level, so the medium armor bonus doesn't even catch up there, and who knows is if the spread widens with armor spheres. I wonder if he bothered to go through the green armor spheres.

That zamtrios set enables carnivore, which could be magnificent, but in the time it would take to farm that I'd probably be able to do plesioth since I already have a decent amount of mats for that, and it could be even better. Since it doesn't use faulds, if I went with zamtrios for those I'd have 6 slots for gems not including weapon. So I could get speed sharpening or tremor resistance. While farming what I need I may also get proper scraps for some better cat armor and level the cats up more.

He wasn't using any potions, but I could easily do mega demondrug, mega armorskin, and mega dash juice on top, perhaps even an armor horn to help my cats survive longer. Then a weapon that hits harder faster and has something gore is weak to would be a lot better. Say, a khezu shock sword, which would be easy to acquire since I'm most of the way there. That would be able to guard as well and still giving some good wallops on his head since trying to combo him is a joke, and perhaps paralyze him sometimes. Then I could use a mess of pitfall and shock traps since I'd have quick setup ability.

Question is... am I up for this much work to jump over the insanely-much-higher wall that came out of nowhere? How often will it keep locking me in tiny spaces with such insane beasts like this, requiring such extensive setup? Would I enjoy this as so much here seems gear-dependent for the real challenge monsters while said monsters make the others seem like a joke in comparison? I don't know. I just know I'm very sleepy right now so I can't deal with it's bullshit until I'm rested.
What is your current gear, anyways? If you're using armor with very negative dragon res then yeah that would definitely affect your survivability.

Scher

How are you guys so far along :(

Do I have to beat all the hr1 quests to get to hr2?

Is online a good way to get good gear?

There are certain quests that are considered key quests, and those are what you need to do in order to unlock the urgent quest that allows you to increase in rank. Also, I'd say online is a pretty good way to gear up if you can find people willing to farm a particular monster. Monsters can go down really fast if you have four people.

Mupod

Holy cow. Artian S and upwards looks amazing.
F_artiaS.png

I loved the item descriptions of this set in 3U. Essentially it's excavated ancient power armor, they couldn't figure out how to make it function again but it's still wearable as armor.

Huge goddamn pain in the ass to get though. Considering how few rusted fragments I've found in 4U, that hasn't changed.

microfolk

If you're having a LOT of trouble with trying to find an opening, paint ball and just leave. You can heal in another zone and still keep an eye on him. If he's red on your map that manes he's still "in combat" and would still be enraged. He'll turn blue when he has settled down. It might be longer, but it may be easier. Also, I hate to take you out of your comfort zone, but try a different weapon or strategy. Gun/lances can block while moving, a luxury that charge blade doesn't have. I was able to solo very very high by myself using a gun lance. You just block while moving at them and poke when you can. It's a war of attrition, but one you usually win.

I could, and I surely will when I'll hit G-Rank, but I don't think it will be worth the hassle right now when I'll probably need just a couple more hunts before I have enough mats to complete the set and also because I can kill a Yian in 10-15 minutes even now, but I'd like to understand better how to approach it while it's raging with a weapon that can't shield its eternal charging and pecking.
I'd love to gain a deeper knowledge of the monster (and of my weapon\the battle system) because this is the best way for me to appreciate the game, but at the same time I'm a lazy-ass and I don't really want to fight it dozen of times to learn every aspect of the fight when I can ask here. :p

Nonetheless thank you!

I loved the item descriptions of this set in 3U. Essentially it's excavated ancient power armor, they couldn't figure out how to make it function again but it's still wearable as armor.

Huge goddamn pain in the ass to get though. Considering how few rusted fragments I've found in 4U, that hasn't changed.

Yeah, I'm debating whether I want to make the grind or not. It has outstanding skills for a LBG user:
Rapid Fire +10
Recoil +10
Precision +5
Loading +5

With some gems/talismans, it could be a beastly good status/elemental armor set.

jorgejjvr

All my current armor parts is around 78-82.I think my defense is currently around 385, im in hr7. And I need heavy armor sphere, how do i get those? I've gotten advance and hard but not heavy

Also, do the hr7 quests gives you better defense than what i currently have?

Oh and the previous post was from my brother, we share the account at times

ilium

when i was entering my house to change equipment, one of my cats was sitting in the corner even tho it was supposed to train! so when i entered i kind of jumpscared it. it had a ! above it's head and suddenly began to train really hard...

it's the little things...

Holy cow. Artian S and upwards looks amazing.
F_artiaS.png

yea, i love the look, too. one day i'll craft it together with a good LBG and just pretend i'm playing fallout or something.

High Rank quests are insane, first time I've ever made it this far in a Monster Hunter game. Don't really want to return to the campaign now, lol. Playing online is just so much fun.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
What is your current gear, anyways? If you're using armor with very negative dragon res then yeah that would definitely affect your survivability.
Tetsu helm, faulds, and greaves. Barroth mail and vambraces. All upgraded up to but not through the green armor spheres. Nothing is activating except Defense M, which still doesnt catch them up to where zamtrios and such would be. I really hope this game doesn't make a habit of breaking the natural progression curve with insane monsters that are 10x harder than anything previously faced like gore here. If you play in the guild will you graduate to higher things or are you truly locked behind your story progress?

All my current armor parts is around 78-82.I think my defense is currently around 385, im in hr7. And I need heavy armor sphere, how do i get those? I've gotten advance and hard but not heavy

Also, do the hr7 quests gives you better defense than what i currently have?

Oh and the previous post was from my brother, we share the account at times

heavy armor spheres are obtained through mining in g rank and they have a very very low percent drop rate as quests rewards for 6,9-10 star village quests and high rank guild quests

Pics_nao

Created a new character. That female Seregios armor looks so dope that I couldn't resist. Still gonna continue my 90+ hour main file of course.

ohlawd

lol another failed random lobby

alright, here's another episode of who wants to carry ohlawd through his key quests: road to HR5 edition

21-5436-2631-2333

Ooooookkaaaaayyy...

I almost always go Fish and Bread and Fry it. Gives Defender (Hi), where damage is sometimes negated. I use poison SNS, and mount him 4 or 5 times a fight. Had LR Tetsucabra armor with 3 spheres per piece. Auto guard talisman.

So max HP, easy to drink potions with SNS, easy to mount multiple times by hanging around a small ledge (mounting up ledges and down ledges, two mount hits per jump), and auto blocking hits I didn't even think would hit me or didn't even see coming

If you get to the BS area with the cliffs (7?) just wait somewhere else until he leaves, or use a dung bomb to get him to leave (but to use the dung bomb you have to climb the cliffs to get near him which defeats the whole point of making him leave in the first place)

Tetsu helm, faulds, and greaves. Barroth mail and vambraces. All upgraded up to but not through the green armor spheres. Nothing is activating except Defense M, which still doesnt catch them up to where zamtrios and such would be. I really hope this game doesn't make a habit of breaking the natural progression curve with insane monsters that are 10x harder than anything previously faced like gore here. If you play in the guild will you graduate to higher things or are you truly locked behind your story progress?
Well, Monster Hunter has a habit of throwing seemingly insurmountable walls at you that you come back to later and go "wow this wasn't as bad as I remember it being" :^)

Your story mode progression will not affect your ability to do online content, with two exceptions: G-rank difficulty (but by the time you reach that point low-rank single player will become a joke for you) and Apex monsters (which is endgame content).

I hit some major walls in my first Monster Hunter game, and going online helped me out a lot, not only for letting me access gear earlier than I could have playing SP alone but also for helping me learn patterns.

Gore Magala comes a lot earlier online, as the 2* urgent quest. Try beating him up with GAFers and see if it gives you any new insights to the fight.

jorgejjvr

Anyone want to hunt some HR7 monsters? I'm specifically looking for getting gems from teostra and kushala Daora.

ID is 40-4672-5222-0692 and code is 1234.

-Alternis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom