• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffy

A total pain in the ass. New charm tables are decided every time you load, which is better, but I'm not really sure why they even need different tables at all.
The "tables" are just an artifact of the random number generator. The game picks a seed number for the generator, which determines what numbers come out of it, which determines what sort of charms you'll wind up with. For "toy" randomness like in video games it's not unusual to just pick the time of day. But MH3U's mistake was to attach that seed value to a hunter forever which turned into a huge pain for people looking for specific charms.

georly

Is there such thing as a strategy guide for this game? I have a 50% off coupon at best buy, and i'd pay ~$15 just to look at all the armor sets.

Palmer_v1

The "tables" are just an artifact of the random number generator. The game picks a seed number for the generator, which determines what numbers come out of it, which determines what sort of charms you'll wind up with. For "toy" randomness like in video games it's not unusual to just pick the time of day. But MH3U's mistake was to attach that seed value to a hunter forever which turned into a huge pain for people looking for specific charms.

What I mean is why tie it to your load time either? Why not just seed the charms at the moment you get them, so there's absolutely no way to try and game it. Every swing of my pick should have an equal chance of getting X charm.

georly

Barry! I thought you were dead...

The charm tables affected what charms you could get. Some optimal builds were impossible without a perfectly statted charm, which meant you had to be in certain tables. Those tables were decided on character creation, and it took a while to figure out which table you were on.

A total pain in the ass. New charm tables are decided every time you load, which is better, but I'm not really sure why they even need different tables at all.

Load as in... load up the game, or load as in... load up the stage?

tuffy

What I mean is why tie it to your load time either? Why not just seed the charms at the moment you get them, so there's absolutely no way to try and game it. Every swing of my pick should have an equal chance of getting X charm.
It would be nice if the game had real randomness with consistent chances for everything all the time, but for the programmers it's probably a lot easier to just call the srand() and rand() functions (or whatever their pseudo-RNG uses) and call it a day.

Mupod

Male face 13 is a miracle of the universe.

I always play dudes though, so I'm thinking I'll play a girl for once. I kind of want to be a Gundam though.

Shengar

They can be annoying while fighting a big one. Or you might wanna grind them. Can't think of any other reasons. :p
Oh, more than just annoying. They can potentially screw you in numerous way. Blocking your tranquilizer bomb, disrupting you while carving, or disrupt mid combo. For other small mosnter like bhanabra, it's even more wonderful as it can sting and paralyze while a rathian charge in to you.

Ristlager

Has the iPad spoiled me or do I get used to the small 3ds screen and manual camera after a while? Tried the demo and the Gore magala fight(lost to the time), it was a serious letdown with no feeling of being in control. I mastered the claw grip with the psp, but there seems to be no other solution here than to press the l1 over and over again. Gore is hopefully the most chaotic monster? Or are there more monsters in 4 that goes all over the place? Probably because I have playas mhfu far too much, but no monster is close to this crazy... Did the two other monsters very easy and felt a bit more in control there, but far from the precision I have on my iPad.

Hellraider

Oh, more than just annoying. They can potentially screw you in numerous way. Blocking your tranquilizer bomb, disrupting you while carving, or disrupt mid combo. For other small mosnter like bhanabra, it's even more wonderful as it can sting and paralyze while a rathian charge in to you.

I still don't find the cats worth chasing after them. I feel like the better option if you really want to get rid of them is to do it yourself and then focus on the large one.

Kane1345

Man the new 3ds XL is great. Love the c stick and it looks and runs noticeably better than on regular 3ds. Having a great time online with friends just arm wrestling in the gathering hall lol

Cob32

So how does mounting work exactly? I'm playing with hammer and I leap of a ledge with super pound or normal attack and sometimes I mount, other times not.

Do I need to hit a certain part of the monster? Also do monsters build up a resistance to it?

ilium

been playing the whole day. so good. SO GOOD!

started with Bow, because i want to pewpew, but it seems kind of underwhelming right now.

how do i get a 3DS friendscode? i made a NNID already, but didn't see anything about FC.

Hellraider

been playing the whole day. so good. SO GOOD!

started with Bow, because i want to pewpew, but it seems kind of underwhelming right now.

how do i get a 3DS friendscode? i made a NNID already, but didn't see anything about FC.

On your friends list first mii is you. FC is right there.

Aiustis

My MH 3ds came...I have to run to the store because what I thought was a 8GB micro sd, was only 2 and the one in my camera has quite a few thousand pictures.

Durden77

Is this game a little better at introducing new players? I really had fun with Monster Hunter 3 on 3DS for a while, but I felt like I didn't know what the fuck I was doing and eventually lost interest.

Hellraider

So how do you fight kirin?

A popular Gen 2 tactic was sleep and bombs. I used to deal with him with gypceros armor (thunder resist) and long sword. If things are still the same he might be hard to hit but he has low life so you don't need to panic when it comes to time left. Just slash and pray it hits! :p

A popular Gen 2 tactic was sleep and bombs. I used to deal with him with gypceros armor (thunder resist) and long sword. If things are still the same he might be hard to hit but he has low life so you don't need to panic when it comes to time left. Just slash and pray it hits! :p

I meant how do you start the quest, doesnt appear to be through either the guild or village

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom