• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerdog

Alright so the full Nerscylla set is supposed to tell you when you can capture a monster right? Well I've had it for days now and haven't noticed anything.

How exactly does it alert you to the monster being captureable..?

Throw a paintball at them, the pink dot will flash when it's ready to get captured.

ohlawd

new page

21-5436-2631-2333

ohlawd's road to HR6 :D

edit: full

Alright so the full Nerscylla set is supposed to tell you when you can capture a monster right? Well I've had it for days now and haven't noticed anything.

cap guru needs the monster marked by a paintball or something

When you use the paintball on a monster, the little icon on the map blinks when it's close to dying.
Capture it when that happens.

are they not all pretty much the same? just trap em when they start limping and retreat to their nest. thats what i did for the 2 quest. the monkey thingie was pretty annoying tho. i had to get help for him, didn't know i had to tranq him. i killed that sob twice.

also, i don't need to slay the monster to complete hunting quest then? you kinda didn't answer that part :p

lol i also just google em. the game pretty much just has the same monsters and the little icon gives you a hint more or less on what the monster looks like although its not always that accurate imo.

IIRC some of them don't limp, or will get killed before they start limping. It's my usual method for hunting a monster, but there's been a few times I accidentally killed a monster.

Busaiku

Hurray, Rathalos set complete.
Though honestly, besides the extra defense, it's kinda lame compared to Kut-ku.
Less slots, more negatives, and no Fire Attack.

But at least I can take more than 2 hits from Gore Magala now.

Shengar

Paintballed it, and it will flashes when its ready for capture.

You need to hit it with a paint ball. When the monster is flashing on your map then it is catchable.

JCho133

You need to hit it with a paint ball. When the monster is flashing on your map then it is catchable.

Ohhhhhh that's what that means! I'd been wondering for so long. 2 years of playing monster hunter and I'm still such a noob aha.

Thanks to everyone who helped me understand capture guru

okay so I got to the beach town, how close am I to getting to Frozen Seaway/Volcanic Hollow/Heaven's Mount?

I'm looking for Dragonite Ore basically because I want to build a Kaiser Blade

Also, does Kaiser Blade actually have a different look than Defender's Blade? I was disappointed when that was the same weapon skin

Sorry if this has been answered before, but where in the heck are all the Rank 6 Caravan quests? Do they just continue to dole them out one by one? Do you ever get to redo them?

Kinsei

Banned
I've finished all of the 9* quests! I've just got to finish farming Brachydios and then it's time for my first apex monster. I'm really excited!

unlocked the rest of HR5

what the hell, there really isn't a standalone Los quest

Really? There is in the village 8* quests.

Dumb question, but where's the weapon tutorials in the game? I know Freedom Unite had a weaponsmaster or something, I talked to every person in the first town but I can't find the equivalent. Just finished the Unique Mushroom fetch quest. I'm using the Charge Blade, I watched gaijinhunter's tutorial but I can't figure out how to get the shield boost to activate.

Neonsands

Neo Member
So I just killed a Gypceros that somehow managed to have a live Konchu attached to its wing. Like the whole fight, I kept seeing the yellow shell on the wing and wondering what it was. After the Gypceros went down for the count, the Konchu fell and immediately decided to roll into me while carving. Fun.

Dumb question, but where's the weapon tutorials in the game? I know Freedom Unite had a weaponsmaster or something, I talked to every person in the first town but I can't find the equivalent. Just finished the Unique Mushroom fetch quest. I'm using the Charge Blade, I watched gaijinhunter's tutorial but I can't figure out how to get the shield boost to activate.
1* Caravan quests from the guildmarm. She has one for every weapon against a Great Jaggi

Wanchan

They're listed in the Rank 1 village quest.

Beats

Any tips for fighting Teostra? I don't get hit all that much by it, but when I do it does a lot of damage. I know I have to watch out for its explosion which isn't that hard to avoid, but it feels so relentless in general. : \

If you want to buff your shield you have to hit R to cancel the burst attack.

Two ways to get to the burst attack:
Any sword string into shield bash (X+A) then hit (X+A) again to start up the burst
Or in axe mode, just do A, A, A to get to the burst move

You can get fancier of course, on a downed enemy you can run up to them in sword mode and do X, R+X, A, etc.

1* Caravan quests from the guildmarm. She has one for every weapon against a Great Jaggi

They're listed in the Rank 1 village quest.

Thanks! I thought the only quests in Rank 1 where the two you do for the Caravaneer, totally overlooked the tutorials there.

If you want to buff your shield you have to hit R to cancel the burst attack.

Two ways to get to the burst attack:
Any sword string into shield bash (X+A) then hit (X+A) again to start up the burst
Or in axe mode, just do A, A, A to get to the burst move

You can get fancier of course, on a downed enemy you can run up to them in sword mode and do X, R+X, A, etc.

Thanks, I think you solved my problem! I thought you just needed to be in axe mode, then press A then cancel that with R. I didn't realize it was the third attack of that combo that needed to be canceled. Now that I know that I just need to figure out the timing. Down (toward your characters rear)+A in axe mode also goes straight to that move, right?

If anyone is HR5 or above could you help me farm a normal high rank Rathalos? Need a couple of mats. Haven't had any luck find rooms with randoms.

Status weapons are a bit better as "all purpose" weapons, particularly those that paralyze or sleep the monster, but in general elemental weapons will kill a monster faster, and thus are preferred.

HOWEVER, in multiplayer, when you've got more people (and thus more sources for DPS), paralyzing a monster, leaving them completely vulnerable for 15 seconds to four players wailing on it, will probably be faster. Sleep is also a bit more useful IMO as it gives people a chance to sharpen up, potion, and the plant 8 Barrel Bomb+ on their face.

So yeah I read up on this topic. It seems that "status damage" doesn't actually damage the health of the monster. It damages a separate meter that inflicts the status on the monster once a certain threshold is met, then resets. It also degrades over time.

So back to the chainsaws for me!

So yeah I read up on this topic. It seems that "status damage" doesn't actually damage the health of the monster. It damages a separate meter that inflicts the status on the monster once a certain threshold is met, then resets. It also degrades over time.

So back to the chainsaws for me!

Thought I mentioned that!

That's what I get for gaffing on my phone.

Thanks, I think you solved my problem! I thought you just needed to be in axe mode, then press A then cancel that with R. I didn't realize it was the third attack of that combo that needed to be canceled. Now that I know that I just need to figure out the timing. Down (toward your characters rear)+A in axe mode also goes straight to that move, right?
I think you can do X+A in Axe Mode to go straight to burst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom