• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iryx

It's so nice when you get lucky drops, just got two Rubies from one Azure Rathalos, farmed that armor set in just 5 kills.

Victrix

*beard*
Is this the right place to ask a few questions? I hope so.

I am tempted to pick this game up but I only have an old 3DS XL, how bad are the old controls? I don't usually play this type of game on handhelds cos of the hand cramps, how are peoples hands holding up to extended play?

Thanks.

Try the demo - I found it pretty much unplayable.

Someone else said it's better with a circle pad pro, but I don't have one, so I can't say one way or another.

Leezard

Is this the right place to ask a few questions? I hope so.

I am tempted to pick this game up but I only have an old 3DS XL, how bad are the old controls? I don't usually play this type of game on handhelds cos of the hand cramps, how are peoples hands holding up to extended play?

Thanks.
I play with a circle pad pro, and that works well. The better grip is really good, and I prefer the extra sliding pad to a nub.

R0ckman

Was fighting the dragon on the ship last night and just had to break down in laughter at the felynes manning canons and the ballista, the meow sounds and going back and forth grabbing ammo and canons with me was just too much. I love these guys so much more than the shakalaka. Though it would be interesting if they had a game where you could choose various different types of Lynians and they all have different abilities.

Valus

Been grinding gathering hall quests solo trying to get the HR7...I made it to HR6 last night.

I really want the Stand Tall 6* caravan quest. Does anyone know if it will unlock right away when I hit HR7? Or will I have to complete a certain quest chain to unlock it even after getting to HR7? If it's the latter, which quest chain is it?

And also, is unupgraded HR Tetsucabra good enough for the journey? So far the only battle that's given me trouble was frenzied Tigrex. Still beat it my first try, but I did cart twice.

Mupod

I managed to take down Savage Deviljho without carting on my first try! I even got two gems and 4 jars of black blood!

I only managed to fight him a couple times in 3U because spawning him was a pain in the ass, and I stopped playing before his event quests came out. He didn't seem that bad because he just spammed breath attacks all day. Is that still the case?

Kinsei

Banned
I only managed to fight him a couple times in 3U because spawning him was a pain in the ass, and I stopped playing before his event quests came out. He didn't seem that bad because he just spammed breath attacks all day. Is that still the case?

It did the breath attack maybe 6 times through the whole fight. Now he spams pin attacks. Make sure you bring a full stack of dung bombs when you fight him.

Chuckpebble

Been grinding gathering hall quests solo trying to get the HR7...I made it to HR6 last night.

I really want the Stand Tall 6* caravan quest. Does anyone know if it will unlock right away when I hit HR7? Or will I have to complete a certain quest chain to unlock it even after getting to HR7? If it's the latter, which quest chain is it?

And also, is unupgraded HR Tetsucabra good enough for the journey? So far the only battle that's given me trouble was frenzied Tigrex. Still beat it my first try, but I did cart twice.

That quest requires you to have done Fear Factor, which in turn requires you to have done a whole chain of other quests. Its confusing, just check out the quest list here:

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/quest/caravan

The pre-requisite quests are on the right. I'm trying not to spend too much time there because of spoilers.

Valus

That quest requires you to have done Fear Factor, which in turn requires you to have done a whole chain of other quests. Its confusing, just check out the quest list here:

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/quest/caravan

The pre-requisite quests are on the right. I'm trying not to spend too much time there because of spoilers.

Thanks man, I think I actually did that quest already, it's a Najarala solo fight, right? I'll double check when I get home. If I did then nice, just need to survive the HR6 key quests and I'm home free.

When you get the little brown stone type things coming off a boss is that an indication that you're hitting a breakable point or that you've broken it on that hit? Sometimes hard to tell if it's a monster with lots of movement.

wwm0nkey

Not related to gameplay but I'm just curious. Does Nintendo have a deal with Capcom for the series or is it just best selling on 3DS and thats why Capcom keeps it there?

Only wondering because of the potential for this to pull a Revelations later on since I assume its running on the same engine and the game finally did well over in NA/EU.

la_briola

Not related to gameplay but I'm just curious. Does Nintendo have a deal with Capcom for the series or is it just best selling on 3DS and thats why Capcom keeps it there?

Only wondering because of the potential for this to pull a Revelations later on since I assume its running on the same engine and the game finally did well over in NA/EU.

It's just cheaper for them, I guess.
They are more or less reusing PS2 assets for 10 years now.
PS2->PSP->Wii->PS3/3DS/WiiU->3DS

Kinsei

Banned

I think there's a deal, but it's also possible Capcom is still pissed over the MHP3rd HD debacle.

wiibomb

it's kind of complicated, but no, Capcom and Nintendo have no contract or nothing whatsoever to keep MH on anything Nintendo related, they did a collaboration of course, but that's more about forging good relations with capcom than anything else..

it's speculated that capcom may be keeping MH on Nintendo related systems because Nintendo handhelds sell better and because Nintendo greatly helps capcom with marketing for the franchise, that is something Sony never did when MH was over their systems

but nothing is written and the next in the series is not even announced

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So is there any fun trick to getting what I want out of the talisman melding dude?

80% of my talismans are fucking gunner talismans and I'd only considering using 3 of them because the rest are all the same fucking thing.

So anyway I could turn these into maybe fast charge talismans or something? Or do I just have to pray to the RNG gods as I meld? Or is there some way to influence melding?

wwm0nkey

It's just cheaper for them, I guess.
They are more or less reusing PS2 assets for 10 years now.
PS2->PSP->Wii->PS3/3DS/WiiU->3DS
Yeah, but the game still does look great so I don't think there would be an issue in pulling a Revelations and unlike RE4 they should still have the source textures to make a "HD" version. I only think they would consider this now, now that they see it sells over here.

I think there's a deal, but it's also possible Capcom is still pissed over the MHP3rd HD debacle.

What exactly happened with that?

JimPanzer

So is there any fun trick to getting what I want out of the talisman melding dude?

80% of my talismans are fucking gunner talismans and I'd only considering using 3 of them because the rest are all the same fucking thing.

So anyway I could turn these into maybe fast charge talismans or something? Or do I just have to pray to the RNG gods as I meld? Or is there some way to influence melding?

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/64668725526/charm-crafting-marathon-in-mh4

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/68362939883/mh4-charm-creator-trick-lock-2nd-skill

Ahhh, the place that you went is the Gathering Hall, and that's where you do online quests and raise your Hunter Rank. There is no story in the Gathering Hall, just quests.

If you want to continue the story (which you definitely do to unlock things), go back to Harth (which I'm guessing is the Caravan town you just unlocked). Also, go do some Expeditions as well... there's a point where the only way to advance is by doing 2 or 3 Expeditions. The place you go on Expeditions (called Everwood) is really cool and linear and has good drops.
Awesome. Just did the expedition. Killed the velocidrome. Thanks man. I'm new to this game

Lunar15

There's nothing more satisfying than blasting a monster though a hole in the floor and then falling down, hitting it, and mounting it.

It's pretty great.

wwm0nkey

They wanted to localize it, but due to the game not having trophies and Sony not willing to upgrade the infrastructure of a-hoc party it ended up never happening.

Well that really sucks.

I'm 110% fine with my n3DS version, but still hope I can double dip again later on lol

H1PSTER

Let's hunt Nerscylla

High Rank

Room: 37-7399-4828-1211

Password: 4763

Of course afterwards we'll hunt anything you need but I desperately want high rank armour.

wiibomb

Has capcom never fixed any bugs or tricks from their games or something?

this is localization, so nope, nothing should be fixed (not even the hacked guild quests), and to be honest, this is not a glitch or a hack or even a bug, it's simply some people realizing how the game works and trying to get it to work

Bento

Question! What's the lowest Recoil a weapon can have? I've seen Very Low and Minimum, is there anything lower than that?

tuffy

Question! What's the lowest Recoil a weapon can have? I've seen Very Low and Minimum, is there anything lower than that?
Minimum is the lowest, as I recall. It's usually overkill for anything other than explosive shots or status 2 shots though.

ohlawd

wtf Rathalos gimme a fucking plate

and there is a single HR Los quest. it's frenzy and advanced tho so it doesn't show up all the time

edit: just got one woot

Okay, it's really hard to find any guides on the Wyperium, specifically how you get Cathangea items. I've figured out that Expeditions occassionally have the seeds on some of the blue items, and APPARENTLY there's some kind of Cathangea fish or some such in Dundorma, but seriously, how the fuck does any of this work? How can I find out what an effective method to getting this stuff is? How do I know what gives me more crap than the other ones? There seriously needs to be a guide.

ilium

been farming Blue Yian Kut-Ku since yesterday to get 3 Kut-Ku Auricle for my kut-ku bow. 10% and 25% chance to get one. i have 0 so far.
at least the fight is super easy and gives some money, but still...

the desire sensor is strong.

XaosWolf

What I heard for 3U is that it raises the more you play with people on your friends list, and if it gets to a certain point, an NPC will give you some free items. Not sure how it works in 4U.

Ah, thanks. MHP3rd had the same. The Guildmaster gave you Yukomo tickets for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom