• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veal

It's just cheaper for them, I guess.
They are more or less reusing PS2 assets for 10 years now.
PS2->PSP->Wii->PS3/3DS/WiiU->3DS
These are definitely upgraded assets all around. Went back and played the original for shits and giggles. Was pretty rough.

R0ckman

Anyone know how I get Kirin in the quests? Who drops him? I need a few more hides to make the electric insect staff. Damn, I should have captured him during the urgent quest he appeared in.

Cerity

people having issues with those egg/delivery quests, don't forget about the transporter skill. Get an armour set together with that and bring some dash juice.

EZMODE

Wolfe

It's just cheaper for them, I guess.
They are more or less reusing PS2 assets for 10 years now.
PS2->PSP->Wii->PS3/3DS/WiiU->3DS

Lol cmon dude that's ridiculous, not to mention the fact that Nintendo does have an exclusivity deal for the game at the moment. And the only reason it's exclusive to 3DS right now is due to $$$, and not the money they're supposedly saving from reusing PS2 assets (which they're not).

I definitely wouldn't mind a PS3 or above visuals as long as they included a way for me to play in 3D, I started with 3U so for me MH has never not been in 3D, and I like it that way.

la_briola

These are definitely upgraded assets all around. Went back and played the original for shits and giggles. Was pretty rough.

I think the models are the same, but they improved the textures and most importantly the lighting. "More or less", not copy & paste. :p

Lol cmon dude that's ridiculous, not to mention the fact that Nintendo does have an exclusivity deal for the game at the moment. And the only reason it's exclusive to 3DS right now is due to $$$, and not the money they're supposedly saving from reusing PS2 assets (which they're not).

I definitely wouldn't mind a PS3 or above visuals as long as they included a way for me to play in 3D, I started with 3U so for me MH has never not been in 3D, and I like it that way.

I don't think you have a source to back this up.

The reusing of assets can't be understated, but I think the real reason was the popularity of the Wii and the the 3DS.

Man, I am having the worst luck getting a Kut Ku Auricle. I've been farming Blue Yian for a couple days and have gotten 5 Splendid Beaks (5% carve, 3% Cap), and no Auricles (10% Shiny, 25% Ear). I've broken the Ear every time! Rawr!

wiibomb

I think the models are the same, but they improved the textures and most importantly the lighting.

I don't think you have a source to back this up.

Monster Hunter Tri remodeled the monsters, MHTri rathalos, diablos and rathian are new models, its very clear too compared to the older gen games. there is also a theory that was comented back in those days that said that rathalos from the first and second generations is a different rathalos from the third which places in a new geographic area named "new world"

the same remodeling has happened over the course of the series as well as making touches to the old models, this is notable in this game where models of the games look a lot more sharper

la_briola

Monster Hunter Tri remodeled the monsters, MHTri rathalos, diablos and rathian are new models, its very clear too compared to the older gen games. there is also a theory that was comented back in those days that said that rathalos from the section generation is a different rathalos from the third which places in a new geographic area named "new world"

the same remodeling has happened over the course of the series as well as making touched to the old models, this is notable in this game where models of the games look a lot more sharper

I'm not saying they are doing a copy & paste job.
Of course they are improving on existing models, but a PS3/PS4 Monster Hunter would need MUCH more work.

I doubt we'll see a PS3/4 MH any time soon, it would most likely be a massive bomba in Japan and the Western market isn't large enough to offset the lack of sales there.

Lance also has a jumping attack. That said, IG and SnS are king. There are times where the SnS is just perfect while the IG may be a pain, but then there's all the other times lol.
My guild card is embarrassing. I thought I'd be using CB/Hammer about 1/3 and 2/3 IG. I've done less than 5 hunts with anything but IG. It's just so much fun.

The only problem with the IG is that it's almost TOO good.

wiibomb

I'm not saying they are doing a copy & paste job.
Of course they are improving on existing models, but a PS3/PS4 Monster Hunter would need MUCH more work.

yeah that's true, but even if the work wouldn't be a problem, there is the problem that Japan is in love with portable gaming now, so changing to the PS4 wouldn't be such a good idea in that sense, and going to the Vita is even worse...

I think portable gaming is the main reason behind MH on the 3DS, the game is surely adapted to that environment (no open world, and more "questy") and honestly I prefer that since I do not have much time at home

la_briola

My guild card is embarrassing. I thought I'd be using CB/Hammer about 1/3 and 2/3 IG. I've done less than 5 hunts with anything but IG. It's just so much fun.

The only problem with the IG is that it's almost TOO good.

Hate IG in fights where getting red juice is a pain in the ass. That's balance, I guess.

Gurrry

Tempted to get this game after my test tomorrow... or maybe even dl it tonight. But the only thing is I hate MH on a tiny ass screen. Playing 3g on WiiU spoiled me.

Also - is there voice chat if you play with randoms?

la_briola

Tempted to get this game after my test tomorrow... or maybe even dl it tonight. But the only thing is I hate MH on a tiny ass screen. Playing 3g on WiiU spoiled me.

Also - is there voice chat if you play with randoms?

Just get the demo and see for yourself!

No voice chat, it's a shame.

jorgejjvr

Insect Glaive
Rarity 9
Attack 806
True Attack 260
Defense +50
Affinity
Slot ooo

what does it mean by true attack? and affinity?

and its raw damage better than element?

Seil

Insect Glaive
Rarity 9
Attack 806
True Attack 260
Defense +50
Affinity
Slot ooo

what does it mean by true attack? and affinity?

and its raw damage better than element?

True attack is, well, the real attack value. Like, the displayed raws are inflated to give a general idea of how weapon types compare. The true attack of the starting SnS and GS are the same. It's the motion values and other stuff in the damage formula that truly set the weapons apart.

Affinity is essentially crit rate. Positive means you have that chance to deal critical damage. Negative affinity means you have a chance to deal below normal damage.

For some weapon types, raw is king and element is just a nice supplement. For some, like SnS or DS, you still need to balance the two and sharpness, but you're gonna want to abuse elemental weaknesses and stuff.

Edit: Heh, on the element I misread "its" as "is". Yeah, raw is always higher than element.

guys i need to finish some hr3 quests, including the urgent mohran to enter the hr4 business. I could use some help.

made a room, 15 8828 5975 2847
code is 0307

wiibomb

Raw damage is always better than element damage.

I'm sorry but I have to say that's not true for all weapons, element-status work by multipliers and with weapons of high DPS, its a lot better to have high element, for example the Dual Blades and the Sword and Shields.

on the other hand, what you said is true for hammers or Great Sword which do not have as high DPS for that multiplier

I think that for IG element-status is better because of the DPS

NewGame

Banned
Raw damage is always better than element damage.

Can you please go back to mhfu thanks. :)

Elemental is much stronger in this rendition of Monster Hunter. Try using any of the Dahran Morhan weapons against a fire monster- you'll see a dramatic difference in quest time.

I'm sorry but I have to say that's not true for all weapons, element-status work by multipliers and with weapons of high DPS, its a lot better to have high element, for example the Dual Blades and the Sword and Shields.

on the other hand, what you said is true for hammers or Great Sword which do not have as high DPS for that multiplier

I think that for IG element-status is better because of the DPS
Not every monster is weak to that element in that weapon though so elemental weapons can be useless if they're basically immune to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom