• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rajang was in 3U?

No, the "Ultimate Quest." I forget the name, but it was one where you had to fight
3 hard large monsters: Ivory Lagiacrus, Brachydios, and Azure Rathalos

EDIT: Looked it up... it's Mark of a Hero in MH3U, and it was to get into G Rank, not High Rank. My memory sucks.

Damn, that's long. You're using late HR gears right? Maybe I should wait for G Rank gears.

I've seen that in Ping's dex. The Caravaneer is crazy dude.

Yeah I used upgraded P Rathian armor for these quests.

I thought I could handle it but
fighting frenzied Zinogre and Rajang at the same time with no possible way to separate them
made me give up.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Is this the right place to ask a few questions? I hope so.

I am tempted to pick this game up but I only have an old 3DS XL, how bad are the old controls? I don't usually play this type of game on handhelds cos of the hand cramps, how are peoples hands holding up to extended play?

Thanks.

I'm playing with this and it's not really a problem at all. I dislike shoulder buttons so I rarely use them, so that might be why my hands feel fine.

Shengar

Yeah I used upgraded P Rathian armor for these quests.

I thought I could handle it but
fighting frenzied Zinogre and Rajang at the same time with no possible way to separate them
made me give up.

Are you serious? G Rank it is then, with a Long Sword or IG lol

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
What good are the combo books?

Each book increases the success rate of item combinations by 5% (iirc).

Example:
Mega Potion = Potion + Honey, 90% success rate

With Book of Combos 1 and 2 in your inventory or in your item box, the success rate will be 100%.

The effect of the books only applies to where they are though, so if you want to combine items during a hunt, you'll have to take them with you. Otherwise you can just leave them in the item box and craft there.

What good are the combo books?

Scenario 1: You buy combo books and store them in your box. If you combine items in your box, the probability of success for the combo is higher.

Scenario 2: You plan on going on a long hunt, and will need to combine items to make more mats in your hunt. Bring some combo books and the probability of success will go up.

The point of them is so you don't waste precious materials by creating "garbage."

Finally got the game and powered through low rank and part of high rank this past weekend. Can't wait to get high enough to play with the rest of you guys. I blame gamestop/ebgames for setting me back so far, wth.

Pila

Stand besides the monster and let it fall. If you ever had smaller monsters jump into the way of your final tranq bomb after a half hour hunt, you'd appreciate the new option.

It happened to me to miss up a capture quest mate...

Smaller monsters are hard to hit with throw, hence Capcom reworked it.
EDIT: Monsters that trapped with Pit Trap that is.

Makes sense, hadn't thought of it.

Fistwell

No, the "Ultimate Quest." I forget the name, but it was one where you had to fight
3 hard large monsters: Ivory Lagiacrus, Brachydios, and Azure Rathalos

EDIT: Looked it up... it's Mark of a Hero in MH3U, and it was to get into G Rank, not High Rank. My memory sucks.
Oh ok, my bad, that makes more sense, misread you. It wasn't to get into Grank though, it was just to finish off SP. It was necessary to access SP alatreon (and incidentally hallowed jhen if I remember correctly).

Was a fun quest. :D

So I just finisbed the quests with the lady beside my house. Do I do the low tier quests now? Same area again? There is no different areas in this game. Besides the town I just went to where there is that singing lady and the guard who wont let me go up.

I meant to ask - how do Hunters for Hire work? I keep seeing that option on my screen, and none show up. I remember I was able to use them in MH3U, but I don't remember how.
I think it has something to do with guild cards... I exchanged GCs with a couple people the other day and now they're showing up in my Gathering Hall.

So I just finisbed the quests with the lady beside my house. Do I do the low tier quests now? Same area again? There is no different areas in this game. Besides the town I just went to where there is that singing lady and the guard who wont let me go up.

You're in Val Haber, right? First off, talk to everyone on the map that has a quotation mark above their head. That'll give you more quests. You begin a quest by talking to the Guildmarm lady.
Also, you'll unlock more areas to hunt in as time goes on. You start in Ancestral Steppe and stay there for a while, then you eventually move on to more and more places.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I meant to ask - how do Hunters for Hire work? I keep seeing that option on my screen, and none show up. I remember I was able to use them in MH3U, but I don't remember how.
I think it has something to do with guild cards... I exchanged GCs with a couple people the other day and now they're showing up in my Gathering Hall.

They have a little quest and you hire them and they go out to do that quest. If they win they bring back some extra mats, it's pretty nice to get extra stuff.

They complete the hunt in the time it takes you to do one quest. So make sure to come back to check the guild hall! Hunters are only hirable if they shared their guild card with you.

Volcynika

HR2 on multi and at the second area in single player. Loving the dual blades like I did in 3U.

Friend and I were doing a non-big monster hunt on the ice area, and then it's like "Oh, guess the monster roaming the area is here since music started up." Then I was like
"WHY IS THERE A SHARK WITH LEGS, RUN RUN RUN!"
We weren't prepped for it so we got the hell out of there.

burgerdog

Did you guys beat your urgent? It was way too late for me so I couldn't say any longer. He seemed fairly easy, just have to dodge lasers 24/7.

ohlawd

when are you supposed to use the dragonator for dahren? low rank. it sideswipes its body twice in the first phase and its head is near the drill. been using it here and I might be using it too early/late?

You're in Val Haber, right? First off, talk to everyone on the map that has a quotation mark above their head. That'll give you more quests. You begin a quest by talking to the Guildmarm lady.
Also, you'll unlock more areas to hunt in as time goes on. You start in Ancestral Steppe and stay there for a while, then you eventually move on to more and more places.
Yeah. I just finished every question mark quest in Val Haber. The captain told me about going to another part of the world with Caravans. Went there. Talked to 2 NPCs and went back to Val Haber. Now the huge building opened up and started doing quests wit HR1 rating and theyre almost exactly the same as the ones I did before with the exception of some of them. Question is, does the game has a story mode or is it now go and do this? Not that I mind, cause Im really loving the game.

Iryx

when are you supposed to use the dragonator for dahren? low rank. it sideswipes its body twice in the first phase and its head is near the drill. been using it here and I might be using it too early/late?

When it appears far ahead of the ship and it tries to ram the ship head-on.

When it charges the front of the boat. You'll see it in the distance, and it'll jump twice.

I hit the button just as the head dips under the sand the second time. It'll come up and get a spike right to the face.

Yeah. I just finished every question mark quest in Val Haber. The captain told me about going to another part of the world with Caravans. Went there. Talked to 2 NPCs and went back to Val Haber. Now the huge building opened up and started doing quests wit HR1 rating and theyre almost exactly the same as the ones I did before with the exception of some of them. Question is, does the game has a story mode or is it now go and do this? Not that I mind, cause Im really loving the game.

Ahhh, the place that you went is the Gathering Hall, and that's where you do online quests and raise your Hunter Rank. There is no story in the Gathering Hall, just quests.

If you want to continue the story (which you definitely do to unlock things), go back to Harth (which I'm guessing is the Caravan town you just unlocked). Also, go do some Expeditions as well... there's a point where the only way to advance is by doing 2 or 3 Expeditions. The place you go on Expeditions (called Everwood) is really cool and linear and has good drops.

I have never seen fake Jhen ram the front of the ship

Me neither, always at one side or the other in the first stage for me.

Does anyone know if patch 1.1 on the eshop actually fixes anything in the game or is it just for the free potions and mario costumes?
I can't get it to download but I'm not that bothered if its just the free stuff.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Does anyone know if patch 1.1 on the eshop actually fixes anything in the game or is it just for the free potions and mario costumes?
I can't get it to download but I'm not that bothered if its just the free stuff.

I think you'd have to be on the latest version to play online.

wiibomb

it just sets up the paid DLC portion of the game and by that it gives the first piece for free

for this special case no, this update is not required for online

I can play online but I am plagued by frequent disconnects. That's why I'm wondering if the patch fixes something. I have tried to contact Capcom about it but heard nothing yet.

Edit: How often do other people DC when playing online?

Edit 2: Thanks for the responses!

Fistwell

Me neither. What's the Dragonator even there for? The only time I got to use that thing was on Gore Magala when he attacked the boat...
Dahren does come to the front and does the same diddly dance jhen used to (I believe) if you don't do enough damage before that sequence is scripted to occur. If you deal enough damage it skips that to directly go to final showdown. It's happened to me once or twice when we were really fkcing around.

wiibomb

I can play online but I am plagued by frequent disconnects. That's why I'm wondering if the patch fixes something. I have tried to contact Capcom about it but heard nothing yet.

Edit: How often do other people DC when playing online?

Edit 2: Thanks for the responses!

I don't know why, may be it's my internet set up, but I keep disconnecting pretty often too..

ClearData

I'm a noob on 3DS and I just started the game yesterday. Had a question about monster cam. When I select the target on the TouchPad I have to hit L once to refocus my camera on it?

ohlawd

Dahren does come to the front and does the same diddly dance jhen used to (I believe) if you don't do enough damage before that sequence is scripted to occur. If you deal enough damage it skips that to directly go to final showdown. It's happened to me once or twice when we were really fkcing around.

oh that's why. I've fought it four times and I enter the final showdown after hitting it a couple times when it switches over to port side. if it's exactly like jhen then leaving it alone here should trigger fake jhen hitting the bow

wiibomb

I'm a noob on 3DS and I just started the game yesterday. Had a question about monster cam. When I select the target on the TouchPad I have to hit L once to refocus my camera on it?

everytime the monster moves you have to press L to make the cam look to the monster, with 1 tap to L, with 2 taps you can just place the cam behind you (and you can invert those 2 controls controls with the options menu)

Great%20Jaggi.png
Seltas.png
Velociprey.png
Yian%20Kut%20Ku.png
Tetsucabra.png
Gore was claimed.

I am taking Great Jaggi. Hope it's still available.

GoldChain

Yeah, you have to tap L or L2 to refocus on the monster no matter where you are facing, as long as you are on the same map.

TheGrue

Is there a way to jump down through webs or branches that doesn't involve finding where they end and jumping down? That primate can poke through the trees and it makes me jealous, but I haven't figured out a way to do it myself.

Kane1345

The 3D effect in the grand guru's chamber is really good for some reason. Really stood out for me. Just met infected Tigrex, well that sure was something. The increased challenge vs normal tigrex was very welcome.

Mupod

yeah I soloed the gathering hall one last night with a bowgun, wasn't even a pierce bowgun and I was mostly just poking around and exploring on his back to see how he was different from Jhen. He charged the boat, and came right up to it just like Jhen did. Timing for the dragonator was the same for the head-on charge and it was actually a lot easier to break his big tusk with the second one. He died shortly after the second dragonator and the boat was still at 'normal' despite being hit by almost everything during the boat phase while I was goofing off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom