• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I discovered light bowgun and it's pretty fun even though your armor sucks so you have to run away a lot. I made a whole set of velociprey armor so now I look like I work for M. Bison, and I got speed setup and psychic. Trying to decide if I want to do all that farming to get 6 more blue kelbi horns to finish getting sense. Does it really significantly lower how much monsters target you? Could be worth it then, and it would trade out with psychic.

I was fighting the velocidrome and it got all weak and was limping toward it's hidey hole. I was far away running at an angle to it so I went into quick aim mode and led my shot so he walked his face right into a cluster shot just before he got to the hole. That was pretty awesome. My gun is the green blade shower so it can rapid fire pellet shots. That was great for managing all the velociprey. Strangely tho for something with "blade" in the name it can't fire slicing shots.

So according to the reddit link to get more monsters I need to just go back and finish up the low rank stuff right? I mean you don't get locked out of them if you're now in high rank right?

Dalamadur urgent room

70-3559-2997-1456
No pass
So according to the reddit link to get more monsters I need to just go back and finish up the low rank stuff right? I mean you don't get locked out of them if you're now in high rank right?
Yep I went back and did the rest of the low rank stuff as well while I already had High rank unlocked

I'm sorry but I have to say that's not true for all weapons, element-status work by multipliers and with weapons of high DPS, its a lot better to have high element, for example the Dual Blades and the Sword and Shields.

on the other hand, what you said is true for hammers or Great Sword which do not have as high DPS for that multiplier

I think that for IG element-status is better because of the DPS

I don't know personally if this is true or not, but having switched to using DB and doing a ton of research on it, many experienced people I've read say this is a common misconception.

They say even with SnS and DB, and even against a monster with the correct elemental weakness, most of your damage comes from Raw. SnS and DB will have a higher percentage overall of elemental damage compared to other weapons, which makes it more important to correspond your weapon's element to the monsters weakness, but they still do mostly raw damage.

This is important when comparing two different weapons with the same element. For example: Yaegaki (The final Moh'ran SnS) has 280 Raw and 530 Water.

Meanwhile, Gartered Rood (final Seltas Queen SnS) is 392 Raw 260 Water.

From what I've gathered in my reading recently, even though Yaegaki seems better because it's element is so high, even against a monster weak to water element, Gartered Rood is better in every case, because the difference in raw is so great.

Now if we're comparing the Tidal Najarala SnS with Seltas Queen SnS, the numbers are close enough that it's basically a tossup depending on just how vulnrable the monster is and on which parts, making the weapons essentially comparable.

Again, this is just what I've read from a bunch of upvoted reddit comments and vaarious blogs, overall I'm still personally pretty inexperienced. But I thought it a good idea to point out since when I switched to using DB a bunch I thought Element was king and it seems that just isn't the case. It's still important, but not so much that you should forgo a huge amount of Raw for more elemental damage.

Kinsei

Banned
So I discovered light bowgun and it's pretty fun even though your armor sucks so you have to run away a lot. I made a whole set of velociprey armor so now I look like I work for M. Bison, and I got speed setup and psychic. Trying to decide if I want to do all that farming to get 6 more blue kelbi horns to finish getting sense. Does it really significantly lower how much monsters target you? Could be worth it then, and it would trade out with psychic.

I was fighting the velocidrome and it got all weak and was limping toward it's hidey hole. I was far away running at an angle to it so I went into quick aim mode and led my shot so he walked his face right into a cluster shot just before he got to the hole. That was pretty awesome. My gun is the green blade shower so it can rapid fire pellet shots. That was great for managing all the velociprey. Strangely tho for something with "blade" in the name it can't fire slicing shots.

It's not worth it in single player. The cats die to quickly for it to be of any use.

wiibomb

Not every monster is weak to that element in that weapon though so elemental weapons can be useless if they're basically immune to it

of course, but that's a given..

if you attack a rathalos with a fire dual blade, of course you are just doing tickles to the monster...

I was referring to use a high DPS weapon with the element of the monster weakness

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's not worth it in single player. The cats die to quickly for it to be of any use.
That's a bummer. Also, never use a bombing cat. I tried for like 20 quests and they seem to get sick satisfaction from throwing the bombs at you, even when you are 60 degrees to the side of the monster.

I am thinking of changing to gunner because the outfits are SO CUTE.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I'm at HR4, anyone wanna hunt some deviljho to get the talons to improve those inventory items? I think we can get those at HR4 no?

Raide

Urgh. If only I knew about the Guild Quest stuff when it came to farming certain materials. Hardly ever bumped into Kut but found out I can have him all the time if I want him! Made getting parts so much easier.

tuffy

I've been trying to clean out all the low rank Caravan quests before moving into high rank, but they just keep going on and on, don't they? Have some dual infected Tigrexes, then a couple of Dah'ren Mohrans, then a Gore Magala chain hunt, etc. etc. etc. It's like its very own collection of low rank "postgame" stuff.

Urgh. If only I knew about the Guild Quest stuff when it came to farming certain materials. Hardly ever bumped into Kut but found out I can have him all the time if I want him! Made getting parts so much easier.
I protest wearing low rank kut-ku armor. Probably the ugliest set in the game. I did it back in MHFU, and immediately regretted it lol.

Of course the atk up skill is solid though

Raide

I protest wearing low rank kut-ku armor. Probably the ugliest set in the game. I did it back in MHFU, and immediately regretted it lol.

Of course the atk up skill is solid though

Yeah, the attack upgrade I why I want it. Seem to be hitting a wall where some enemies just take ages to die. Now stuck on Gore solo and HR2 version lol. I know worse things are out there!

Would anyone like to do the 4* urgent (Pink Rathian) with me? I can help you do yours too if you'd like. After, I'm planning to do a few 5* quests.

ID: 69-9736-7788-7018, no code

You can climb walls with an egg, or blow up the rock with a barrel bomb.

Also smack them in the butt

When I found out about this, I was like...
Es3FISPjOZzAA.gif

Cerity

Does lowering monster stamina lower their ability to spam moves?

Something like that, they get tired a lot quicker so their attacks get slower, attack less and often just stand there catching their breath. Opens up a boatload of oppurtunities for damage.

Stamina damage is one of the reasons I ran with the hammer for so long in 3rd gen. Knock monsters over, knocking monsters out and tiring them out almost feels like domination of them sometimes.

Fandangox

I just saw someone online at hr59?? How many ranks are there??

That's G rank. After Rank 7, one enters G rank, which is based on points depending on how many quests one has taken. So after doing the Rank 7 urgent is not uncommon for one's rank to jump to the 20s or 30s.

MikeDip

That's G rank. After Rank 7, one enters G rank, which is based on points depending on how many quests one has taken. So after doing the Rank 7 urgent is not uncommon for one's rank to jump to the 20s or 30s.

Oh I see! Weird!

ilium

Man, I am having the worst luck getting a Kut Ku Auricle. I've been farming Blue Yian for a couple days and have gotten 5 Splendid Beaks (5% carve, 3% Cap), and no Auricles (10% Shiny, 25% Ear). I've broken the Ear every time! Rawr!

been farming Blue Yian Kut-Ku since yesterday to get 3 Kut-Ku Auricle for my kut-ku bow. 10% and 25% chance to get one. i have 0 so far.
at least the fight is super easy and gives some money, but still...

the desire sensor is strong.

haha!

:(

bobohoro

Insect Glaive
Rarity 9
Attack 806
True Attack 260
Defense +50
Affinity
Slot ooo

what does it mean by true attack? and affinity?

and its raw damage better than element?

You came this far and never researched weapon stats? I'm kinda impressed and amazed. :D

True attack is simply your weapons attack power (806) divided by its class multiplier (3.1 for IG) which comes out at 260. You then look up the damage multiplier of your attack, the resistance of a monster part to your attack and factor in sharpness and arrive at the damage your attack does.

Affinity is your chance of a critical. A critical does 25% more damage (or less with negative affinity). To compare weapons, just calculate Attack*(1+0.25*affinity).

For raw/element, see answer to next post.

They say even with SnS and DB, and even against a monster with the correct elemental weakness, most of your damage comes from Raw. SnS and DB will have a higher percentage overall of elemental damage compared to other weapons, which makes it more important to correspond your weapon's element to the monsters weakness, but they still do mostly raw damage.

This is true. I don't think there is any weapon in the game where the true attack value of raw is outclassed by the true attack value of element. So the bulk of your damage always comes from raw. Element does additional damage, it does not subtract from your raw power.

This is important when comparing two different weapons with the same element. For example: Yaegaki (The final Moh'ran SnS) has 280 Raw and 530 Water.

Meanwhile, Gartered Rood (final Seltas Queen SnS) is 392 Raw 260 Water.

From what I've gathered in my reading recently, even though Yaegaki seems better because it's element is so high, even against a monster weak to water element, Gartered Rood is better in every case, because the difference in raw is so great.

From a quick glance, this is true. Even with the higher affinity there is still a 65 gap in terms of raw true attack. Since the elemental multiplier for SnS has been changed to 10, you'd only have a 27 true elemental attack gap. The Yaegaki has the advantage of more white sharpness without +1 to balance that out, I guess, but the Gartered Rood seems like the superior weapon overall.

Now if we're comparing the Tidal Najarala SnS with Seltas Queen SnS, the numbers are close enough that it's basically a tossup depending on just how vulnrable the monster is and on which parts, making the weapons essentially comparable.

I'd still say the Seltas Queen comes out on top, even though the white sharpness advantage is pretty large.

But I'm no SnS-Expert, so I might overlook some significant mechanic that boosts elemental damage there further. To compare weapons, you have to look at the whole picture. Sacrificing sharpness for more raw might lead to more sharpening, more bounces and ultimately slower kill times, but Sharpness+1 can help with that.

MikeDip

How much do these armor/power charms and talons actually affect things?

I'm sorry but I have to say that's not true for all weapons, element-status work by multipliers and with weapons of high DPS, its a lot better to have high element, for example the Dual Blades and the Sword and Shields.

on the other hand, what you said is true for hammers or Great Sword which do not have as high DPS for that multiplier

I think that for IG element-status is better because of the DPS

Can you please go back to mhfu thanks. :)

Elemental is much stronger in this rendition of Monster Hunter. Try using any of the Dahran Morhan weapons against a fire monster- you'll see a dramatic difference in quest time.

Guess you two didn't read the damage multipliers I just posted, and those are for MH4U. Raw > Element any day of the week. I'll take a high Raw damage weapon with some Element, rather than a high Element weapon with lower Raw power.

PKrockin

How much do these armor/power charms and talons actually affect things?
Not a lot, if it's the same as MH3U--check the status menu before and after equipping them to see--but I'd bring one/both for really tough fights since I have plenty of space with the new Field Pouch and I sure as hell ain't gonna be gathering on those quests.

jorgejjvr

Not a lot, if it's the same as MH3U--check the status menu before and after equipping them to see--but I'd bring one/both for really tough fights since I have plenty of space with the new Field Pouch and I sure as hell ain't gonna be gathering on those quests.

I actually prefer to exploit a monster's elemental weakness. They all have one, so I have a weapon with all elements to and statuses.

-Alternis

Ultrabum

Spoiler-y question about a greatsword you can make in G rank that has a gimmick.

So does crit draw work on the Chaos gore magala greatsword? The one with -affinity that switches to + affinity after fighting the frenzy? The raw on it is really high!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom