• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

I actually prefer to exploit a monster's elemental weakness. They all have one, so I have a weapon with all elements to and statuses.

-Alternis
Huh? He's talking about Armorcharms, Powertalons, etc. the items. They don't have anything to do with weapon elements. Did you quote the wrong post? lol

I'm right with you on that, though, since I have a non-elemental, fire, electric, two water, paralysis, and sleep lance at the moment.

Garou

Spoiler-y question about a greatsword you can make in G rank that has a gimmick.

So does crit draw work on the Chaos gore magala greatsword? The one with -affinity that switches to + affinity after fighting the frenzy? The raw on it is really high!

CritDraw in 4U gives a 100%-boost for that strike, so of course it "works", but you won't always crit since in sum you will have below +100%.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Not a lot, if it's the same as MH3U--check the status menu before and after equipping them to see--but I'd bring one/both for really tough fights since I have plenty of space with the new Field Pouch and I sure as hell ain't gonna be gathering on those quests.

Oh wow, there is a status menu! And it tells me what these food skills do! Very useful.

And I just made the stronger talons so I now have all 4 items. Gonna keep them on me at all times, I need all the help I can get.

There any other items like this or is this it?

PKrockin

Oh wow, there is a status menu! And it tells me what these food skills do! Very useful.

And I just made the stronger talons so I now have all 4 items. Gonna keep them on me at all times, I need all the help I can get.

There any other items like this or is this it?
There aren't any other "having this in your inventory increases your stats" but you can pop (Mega/regular) Demondrugs/Armorskin to increase your attack and defense for one quest, and there are Might/Adamant Seeds/Pills which temporarily boost attack and defense.

bo6FmC1.jpg

Same colors don't stack.

Shengar

I still can't fathom how the hell Everwood is as flat as a board.
Mounting there without IG is a pain in the ass, maybe I really should create one for Everwood
I can't even imagine how many hours that takes. I put about 150 hrs into 3U, and was probably at HR50...or was it 150? Regardless, my point stands.

I've seen three individual in MH3U online with HR999
Crazy I say

I've just got to say that Kirin is an excellent hunt. It's like Kelbi's Revenge, and is a worthy ranged adversary.

I just did this hunt and I agree, except from a Close Quarters perspective. Boy did I ever chase its ass across the Everwood and back. To be fair, once I caught up to it, it really didn't like my five phial Ultra-Burst present. It did stop him from running away though.

Also, does the Kirin start to show up on Expiditions after you finish the research quest? It didn't say anything in the mission results screen, but the guildmarm hinted that Kirin would show up in the Everwood if I finished it.

Kinsei

Banned
Where do you gather large barrel bombs in the arena? There has to be a way, or they wouldn't give you sleep coatings in the Kut-Ku match.

Any long range users try out the Nargacuga armor? Looks pretty cool, not sure how well the evasion skills work. I'm guessing it'll be an OK armor for now, with a few added decorations.

Seil

I just did this hunt and I agree, except from a Close Quarters perspective. Boy did I ever chase its ass across the Everwood and back. To be fair, once I caught up to it, it really didn't like my five phial Ultra-Burst present. It did stop him from running away though.

Also, does the Kirin start to show up on Expiditions after you finish the research quest? It didn't say anything in the mission results screen, but the guildmarm hinted that Kirin would show up in the Everwood if I finished it.

It doesn't appear in expeditions, but some other monsters in expedition become capable of dropping Kirin guild quests.

At least to my knowledge.

EX Rathalos armor complete. It's got 7 points in brutality and I can't find any info on how to make jewels for it. Can anyone further into G-rank check what it needs?

BBboy20

That's a bummer. Also, never use a bombing cat. I tried for like 20 quests and they seem to get sick satisfaction from throwing the bombs at you, even when you are 60 degrees to the side of the monster.

I am thinking of changing to gunner because the outfits are SO CUTE.
They still haven't fixed that?

Is there any reason for that pile of stash in cat caves to exist? Never figured that out even in FU.

sonicmj1

I've been trying to clean out all the low rank Caravan quests before moving into high rank, but they just keep going on and on, don't they? Have some dual infected Tigrexes, then a couple of Dah'ren Mohrans, then a Gore Magala chain hunt, etc. etc. etc. It's like its very own collection of low rank "postgame" stuff.

Back in original Monster Hunter 4, there weren't any high-rank Caravan quests, so all the "post-game" for the Caravan came at 6*.

Is it weird I've been doing nothing but caravan quests so far at ~42 hours in? I feel like I'm alone lol. Everyone else seems to be playing online and all that.

I'm not exactly missing out on anything if I don't start that for a while, right?

Kinsei

Banned
Is it weird I've been doing nothing but caravan quests so far at ~42 hours in? I feel like I'm alone lol. Everyone else seems to be playing online and all that.

I'm not exactly missing out on anything if I don't start that for a while, right?

I did nothing but Caravan quests until I finished them.

Speaking of which, does anyone want to do the HR1 quests? All of them, not just the key quests.

Salaadin

Do what you like. If you're having fun, then you're doing it right.

aka_bueno

I'm about 3/4 of the way into 5* Village Quests and HR3 in the Gathering Hall (haven't played much online).

I've been switching between Hammer and Charge Blade but want to pick up a ranged weapon to switch it up. I dabbled with the Bow in MH3U so I want something different now, is there a general pro/cons to the different ranged weapons for MH4U? Are any of them good for both solo/online or are they mostly just more of a group play weapon?

Curious about the Heavy Bowgun...

So I just made the Kaiser Blade Charge Blade, pretty bummed it is still the same weapon skin.

What's the best Charge Blade to work towards from here? Continue on with Blackguard? Or should I move on to something else entirely?

Kinsei

Banned
So I just made the Kaiser Blade Charge Blade, pretty bummed it is still the same weapon skin.

What's the best Charge Blade to work towards from here? Continue on with Blackguard? Or should I move on to something else entirely?

Blackguard is pretty shit until you can turn it into the Sentinel Blade. The Dear Lutemis, Gore Magala CB (Sorry I forget it's name) and Guardsqual are all good at the point you;re at.

Seil

I'm about 3/4 of the way into 5* Village Quests and HR3 in the Gathering Hall (haven't played much online).

I've been switching between Hammer and Charge Blade but want to pick up a ranged weapon to switch it up. I dabbled with the Bow in MH3U so I want something different now, is there a general pro/cons to the different ranged weapons for MH4U? Are any of them good for both solo/online or are they mostly just more of a group play weapon?

Curious about the Heavy Bowgun...

As far as I'm aware, they all work fine solo, though Bow and HBG are probably superior for solo use. Despite that, I'm toying around with the LBG. HBG is for general shot power, LBG is better at status/elemental damage due to its rapid fire mechanic which lets you get multiple shots from a single... shot. LBG is weaker, but more mobile.

I'm not much of a gunner though, so someone else can probably give better insight lol.

tuffy

Speaking of which, does anyone want to do the HR1 quests? All of them, not just the key quests.
That sounds like fun. I'm still decked-out in my low rank gear while I power through the Caravan quests, so it shouldn't be too much of a rout either.

Kinsei

Banned
Here's my guild hall in case any of you want to do some HR1 quests. Keep in mind that I have high rank gear so they'll go pretty fast.

28-1235-1657-8284

aka_bueno

As far as I'm aware, they all work fine solo, though Bow and HBG are probably superior for solo use. Despite that, I'm toying around with the LBG. HBG is for general shot power, LBG is better at status/elemental damage due to its rapid fire mechanic which lets you get multiple shots from a single... shot. LBG is weaker, but more mobile.

I'm not much of a gunner though, so someone else can probably give better insight lol.

That's good to hear, I'll test out both Bowguns and see which I like better. I kinda wanna go HBG for the heavier hits and probably bigger weapon models?

Any recommendations on good Gunner armor/skills?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Finally got good enough scrap to make my cat SO CUTE.

Tho my defender is still in the dumb Mario stuff for maximum defense. Can't wait to get rid of that. Mega Man and Isabelle armors are going to be the shit!

Emalde

I'm dying spending the entirety of my day like this. Does anyone here happen to have a G-rank Deviljho Guild Quest they can share? Running Tetsucabra/Monoblos over and over in the hopes of having one come up hasn't been successful thus far.

Laic2SE.jpg

This took at least 25 Savage Jho runs, so I could probably do this in my sleep now. Ughhhh.

Kazerei

Banned
Dios great sword worth it?

I have a 3 way split in this upgrade path. Tigrex GS, Dios Blade, or Executioner.

IMO the Tigrex GS is a little better, but harder to make. You'll need rare parts from other monsters besides Tigrex, plus it seems like there are more people to farm Brachydios than Tigrex with.

For your first weapon I would just recommend something good and easy to make. The Brachy GS fits that description.

Shengar

Finally got good enough scrap to make my cat SO CUTE.

Tho my defender is still in the dumb Mario stuff for maximum defense. Can't wait to get rid of that. Mega Man and Isabelle armors are going to be the shit!

I want Basarios set for my cat, but it seems the monsters just won't drop Handsome Scrap+ D:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I want Basarios set for my cat, but it seems the monsters just won't drop Handsome Scrap+ D:
Just now I had it where the first level was just straight up a chest no monster. So I focused on setting things up for the two monsters using a two-type to have 3 on the harder, and made the last palico a treasure one to maybe enhance the earnings. That was the only trip I got handsome scrap, so maybe that is how it comes. Just gotta keep checking back for the right route to show up, I guess. (I'm just assuming they change after each quest like the fishing does)

I have decided fuck the gore quest for now I'm just farming and getting through some HR quests. Also I noticed that in Dundorma you can fish in the river and I caught 3 Coinperch Ls really quickly and then some mediums and smalls from there. Really easy money boost. I wonder how often they replenish to such levels.

burgerdog

I've had terrible luck with my n3DS ;l Hasn't even been a month and I dropped it about two feet on a wooden surface and scratched the right edge of it, top and bottom part. About a week ago I chipped it while grabbing the cable box remote. Sucks hunter bros, I've never fumbled with a handheld like this. My vita and 3DS XL are in perfect condition still.

I beat the Shagaru Magala and I did not enjoy that fight. It was too projectile heavy, the monster was summoning pillars of darkenss like it was a KoF final boss. My stamina bar was below 50% for most of the fight. I'm gonna go to HR4 quests next.

Seil

I have decided fuck the gore quest for now I'm just farming and getting through some HR quests. Also I noticed that in Dundorma you can fish in the river and I caught 3 Coinperch Ls really quickly and then some mediums and smalls from there. Really easy money boost. I wonder how often they replenish to such levels.

The fish constantly cycle as you catch them, just like they would elsewhere. It's just a matter of the rarity of the fish. It's also the source of Dundorma Tuna which are traded to the Veggie Elder for stuff and Cathangeafish/fry which are used at the Wycoon like Cathangea/seeds.

I've occasionally just sat there fishing while watching a show or something, since it's so mindless and simple. Multitasking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom