• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

I just hit HR and I have no idea what to do for armor as a GS user. I just use Tetsucabra right now. Diablos looks good, but I'm not sure when I'll encounter it. What should I get to help me get through the first part of HR?

Salaadin

IMO the Tigrex GS is a little better, but harder to make. You'll need rare parts from other monsters besides Tigrex, plus it seems like there are more people to farm Brachydios than Tigrex with.

For your first weapon I would just recommend something good and easy to make. The Brachy GS fits that description.
That's kinda where I was leaning. Thanks.

Good thing in this game is that you can't really screw up. You just craft and re craft until you have anything and everything you want

Seil

I just hit HR and I have no idea what to do for armor as a GS user. I just use Tetsucabra right now. Diablos looks good, but I'm not sure when I'll encounter it. What should I get to help me get through the first part of HR?

I'd say grab Tetsu S or Velociprey S as an early HR armor set. Velociprey is less defensive, but has Attack Up M which is easily upgraded further, and 8 points in Psychic which you could upgrade to get Autotracker. Tetsu is Tetsu.

I'm about 3/4 of the way into 5* Village Quests and HR3 in the Gathering Hall (haven't played much online).

I've been switching between Hammer and Charge Blade but want to pick up a ranged weapon to switch it up. I dabbled with the Bow in MH3U so I want something different now, is there a general pro/cons to the different ranged weapons for MH4U? Are any of them good for both solo/online or are they mostly just more of a group play weapon?

Curious about the Heavy Bowgun...

You can defintely solo with guns. I've used heavy bowguns almost exclusively in both single and multiplayer, into high rank in 4U, and through G rank in 3U. I tend to use light bowguns as an infrequent change of pace, usually only online as a support gunner. Bows never clicked with me, so I have little experience with them.

At least between the guns, you can sort of think of them like the difference between sword and shield and great swords. Light bowguns rely a lot on exploiting elemental weaknesses and statuses, and allow for easy movement, while heavy bowguns rely on raw damage and are extremely powerful, but are slow and clunky, requiring careful positioning and proper timing to know when to shoot, and when to start packing up.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Am I broken? I like these egg quests. People online seem to hate them very much.
Just did the one with the powederstone, that was fun!

Prototype

Anything wrong with farming adv armor spheres to juice up my LR Handicraft set just until I get to something good in HR?
It'll certainly make life easier in high rank. I kept my sets upgraded as I went. Helps a lot, so your not constantly chugging pots the whole time and can focus on hunting.

I know this is minor as all hell, but I really wish the Ace palico wasn't assumed to be male. I named mine after my female cat, and it grates me every time my Ace refers to itself in the masculine.

On the bright side, the game seems to be doing well beyond expectations in Australia. Some stores in Sydney were sold out in a couple days of release, got new stock and was promptly sold out again.

VandalD

Blackguard is pretty shit until you can turn it into the Sentinel Blade. The Dear Lutemis, Gore Magala CB (Sorry I forget it's name) and Guardsqual are all good at the point you;re at.
What's wrong with Blackguard? I'm using it currently.

Running through HR1 with a friend and another random atm.

50 8310 0866 8438
Joined! Edit: And we broke up! Nice few hunts though.

Wow this game just keeps getting better and better. This is my first Monster Hunter, I just killed Gravios on my first try. This time I did my research and made a pair of water element dual blades, my main, and he went down easier than I thought he would. Easier than Gore Magala. I thought it would just get harder after Gore but the knowledge of elements and weaknesses and all that really pays off.

I tried all the weapons in the tutorial missions and honestly I don't know how you guys use anything other than dual blades. They just seem much easier and more intuitive to use than any other weapon. The dodging is just so much better than any other weapon, as far as I could tell. Makes a lack of shield moot imo.

Cerity

Thanks to loony and bloodballs for that session. My mates 3ds actually ran out of batteries during that last fight haha.

Seil

Wow this game just keeps getting better and better. This is my first Monster Hunter, I just killed Gravios on my first try. This time I did my research and made a pair of water element dual blades, my main, and he went down easier than I thought he would. Easier than Gore Magala. I thought it would just get harder after Gore but the knowledge of elements and weaknesses and all that really pays off.

I tried all the weapons in the tutorial missions and honestly I don't know how you guys use anything other than dual blades. They just seem much easier and more intuitive to use than any other weapon. The dodging is just so much better than any other weapon, as far as I could tell. Makes a lack of shield moot imo.

SnS barely uses its shield, instead making use of its ability to dodge out of pretty much any attack. It's mobile and aggressive, being able to dodge at any point in your combo means you can stick to the target like glue. It can also do jump attacks up ledges letting it mount from more positions.

Evade Lancing is also a thing, where you actually utilize the lance's triple backhop to close distance, and rather than guard, evade through pretty much any attack through the use of Evade+ and Evade Distance. Also lets you stick to the monster and harass them =p

I like DS, but I don't like how rooted they make me feel in comparison to say SnS.

shaguru's gem has a 2% carve chance

Welp
9T1kgIr.gif

No, didn't have those, although dash juice sounds awesome for these types of quests! Thanks for the tip.

Yeah they vastly improve the experience with those, but really I don't mind them until they start getting crazy. Don't ask about the Heaven's Mount quest. Ugh.

Anyway, I want to hunt a a Brachydios or two, and then move on to High Rank Guild! Anyone want to help me do that?

19 6796 1088 8288
Pass: 1991

Shiina

^ I got one during the 4 urgent kills. Thought I didn't need it but today it turns out I did and I made myself an Edgemaster + Razor Sharp set. Looks super clownsy but those skills are worth it.

Shengar

It has been the most frustrating experience for me. I've been fighting him online over and over every night for a few nights now with no luck.

The desire sensor is real.

Take a break and try other monster before you do Shagaru again. That'll keep the frustation out, at least a bit.

Seil

Yeah they vastly improve the experience with those, but really I don't mind them until they start getting crazy. Don't ask about the Heaven's Mount quest. Ugh.

The 3 egg one? I just ate for the egg buffs and wore a +10 transportr charm since I have it, though loc lac would've worked fine. Didn't touch the monsters, just ran for the nest, grabbed the egg, waited for them to come then jumped down and had a pretty easy, if lengthy for the last route, run.

R0ckman

Farming S. Zinogre and his tail is taking a majority of the battle to come off. What weapon should I use on him? I'm using a thunder level 4 switch axe with a fair amount of blue sharpness. If I wasn't trying for the tail the battle would be waaay easier.

Farming S. Zinogre and his tail is taking a majority of the battle to come off. What weapon should I use on him? I'm using a thunder level 4 switch axe with a fair amount of blue sharpness. If I wasn't trying for the tail the battle would be waaay easier.

Mount and a couple of level 3 charges to the tail, plus another 2 during a shock trap should do it. GS has always been my weapon of choice for tail cutting.

Might as well put this here for future reference if anyone is interested: Teostra has a <30% health threshold before you can cut the tail and break its horns. Not sure if there are any other monsters like that in this game with a threshold before breaking parts.

Kensuke

Made a new set with G rank Rajang and Rusted Kushala parts. Grinding Rajang was a painful experience. That guy is most definitely the toughest monster. Getting two 'Rajang Hearts' almost made me cry, haha. This set has cool skills:

Honed Blade
Razor Sharp
HG Earplugs
Latent Power +1

Purple sharpness now stays with me for quite a long time. I love it. I just wish I could get latent power to +2 or replace it with challenger +2.

Made a new set with G rank Rajang and Rusted Kushala parts. Grinding Rajang was a painful experience. That guy is most definitely the toughest monster. Getting two 'Rajang Hearts' almost made me cry, haha. This set has cool skills:

Honed Blade
Razor Sharp
HG Earplugs
Latent Power +1

Purple sharpness now stays with me for quite a long time. I love it. I just wish I could get latent power to +2 or replace it with challenger +2.

That's an awesome set.

Can't wait to hit G Rank and farm for my GS set:

Critical Draw
Fast Charge
Honed Blade
High Grade Earplugs

Gonna be head flinching monsters almost all the time with one level 3 charge using the highest raw powered GS the game has to offer >=D

jorgejjvr

Anyone down to play some HR7 in 10 mins? Thinking of grinding against some of them like the silver Rathalos to get armor before doing the urgents

Garou

That's an awesome set.

Can't wait to hit G Rank and farm for my GS set:

Critical Draw
Fast Charge
Honed Blade
High Grade Earplugs

Gonna be head flinching monsters almost all the time with one level 3 charge using the highest raw powered GS the game has to offer >=D

That will most definitely need an excavated GS with EdgeMaster +5 and a charm with Earplugs +7 or something like that. Better get on those Lv135+ Guildquests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom