• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

Got really lucky getting the last Zinogre Plate I needed for my Narg set. Dropped as a shiny so I almost didn't pick it up because the area was full of felyns but I was like "well I could do with a free first aid pot".

Okay so I'm using the great sword and I'm at a point where I can craft like 3 swords that do about the same amount of damage but have different elements. Is it worth it to make all of these?

They would be:
Khezu shock sword
Shattenstolz
Ludroth Bone Sword+

Faiz

S. Magala plates can get right hosed.

3% drops on an advanced low rank quest you can't repeat all the time because it might not come up randomly really sucks. Not hard by any stretch but I want the next level of Magala CB. :(

I'm about to start trying for this today too :/.

ilium

since i am close to fighting seregios in single player i was taking a closer look at the seregios bow to see if it's any good. according to general consensus on the internetz it is supposed to be one of the best bows, and the best seregios weapon.

but honestly, i don't see it...

+ it's special ability gives c.range coatings the same 50% damage bonus as power coatings
+ third highest raw damage of all bows (384, final upgrade)
+ 30% affinity (final upgrade)
+ power shot

- can only use power, c.range and paint coatings
- no elemental damage
- load up skill is pretty much mandatory to make it en par with every other bow regarding charge level
- rapid shot arrow type, which according to gaijin hunter's tumblr is the lowest potential damage arrow type
- power shot (drains stamina extremely fast without dash juice)

so while the seregios weapon bonus is kinda nice because it basically gives you 20 more power coatings the downsides to this bow are huge.
no status effects coatings which means, no sleeping, no paralyzing, no poison. i think those are pretty important on- and offline. it's a rapid arrow bow, so you want to hit enemy elemental weak spots with it. but there is no element damage on this bow.

huh.

Okay so I'm using the great sword and I'm at a point where I can craft like 3 swords that do about the same amount of damage but have different elements. Is it worth it to make all of these?

They would be:
Khezu shock sword
Shattenstolz
Ludroth Bone Sword+
Note affinity is crit rate, so Shatten crits like nuts.

Regardless though, just compare sharpness, and ease of crafting (including their next form in the weapon tree)

I just built the carapace hammer. How big of a deal is it that it doesn't have much green level sharpness? It's mostly yellow.

I was previously using the boosted hammer, but the carapace has much more raw damage.

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/hammer/carapace-hammer
Sharpness boosts attack power by a percentage (so like going down to orange nerfs damage quite a bit), and some monsters will repel attacks that are below a certain sharpness.

Shiina

They would be:
Khezu shock sword
Shattenstolz
Ludroth Bone Sword+

Elemental GS aren't that great most of the time and Schattenstolz actually has white sharpness (with Sharpness+1) which I don't think any other weapons have in LR.

wiibomb

since i am close to fighting seregios in single player i was taking a closer look at the seregios bow to see if it's any good. according to general consensus on the internetz it is supposed to be one of the best bows, and the best seregios weapon.

+ it's special ability gives c.range coatings the same 50% damage bonus as power coatings
+ power shot

- no elemental damage
- load up skill is pretty much mandatory to make it en par with every other bow regarding charge level
- rapid shot arrow type, which according to gaijin hunter's tumblr is the lowest potential damage arrow type

so while the seregios weapon bonus is kinda nice because it basically gives you 20 more power coatings the downsides to this bow are huge.
no status effects coatings which means, no sleeping, no paralyzing, no poison. i think those are pretty important on- and offline. it's a rapid arrow bow, so you want to hit enemy elemental weak spots with it. but there is no element damage on this bow.

huh.

from my experience with bows (I mained bow in MH3U), raw damage tends to be more efficient than elemental for bows, and status while working once or twice, it isn't as useful as it sounds, while the power coatings are really handy, making my hunts less time consuming as they always help me bring down the monster faster

EDIT: well, I mained bow and HBG in MH3U, to be fair

Valus

Welp I managed to solo everything to unlock the Stand Tall quest and fought the boss last night. Now I see what I need to make its set, fuuuuuuckkkk.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wanting that replay ability. I was hunting a seltas and it went to the area on the cliffs where we come out on top. I got there and it was sarting to fly up to meet me, so I jumped for an air attack and that was the final blow. It was badass seeing it pop up "mission complete!" in mid-air, then us both falling all the way down, especially as a gunner.

ilium

from my experience with bows (I mained bow in MH3U), raw damage tends to be more efficient than elemental for bows, and status while working once or twice, it isn't as useful as it sounds, while the power coatings are really handy, making my hunts less time consuming as they always help me bring down the monster faster

EDIT: well, I mained bow and HBG in MH3U, to be fair

sure, but why would i chose seregios bow over let's say exterminator bow II which has 12 less raw damage but also 220 dragon, if i'm fighting a monster that is weak to said element? or any other elemental bow for that matter.

edit: i accidently hit post reply lol, wasn't done yet.

and a monster that is paralyzed for a couple of seconds is pretty huge during multiplayer, if your team can just hit it for that duration. what i like to do for example is loading paralyze coating when someone mounted, so i can paralyze it right after which gives the team even more time to hit it. if i'm playing with a hammer user the opening gets even bigger because he will usually try to KO it as well. that's like 30sec free hits.
and sleep bombing can be pretty important in singleplayer, because let's face it, bow kill times in 4u are pretty high.

R0ckman

Do they First Aid meds that I get from Felynes get taken from me at the end of the quest? I never seem to have them in storage.

R0ckman

Wanting that replay ability. I was hunting a seltas and it went to the area on the cliffs where we come out on top. I got there and it was sarting to fly up to meet me, so I jumped for an air attack and that was the final blow. It was badass seeing it pop up "mission complete!" in mid-air, then us both falling all the way down, especially as a gunner.

Need recording feature for hunts.

Fandangox

Need recording feature for hunts.

That'd be great, there's been lots of times where I am sharpening right there as a boss just narrowly comes off attacking me with their huge attacks. "No fucks given"

Or a multiplayer quest where my 3 teammates all threw their tranq bomb at perfect sync and caught the Rathalos.

They all would have made great gifs.

deim0s

I knocked over Brachy yesterday and was right at the 3rd flash on a full charge GS swing when a Rhenpolos decided to charge into me. Needless to say, I re focused all my attention on that Rhenopolos. Wtf was he thinking?

ALL RHENOPLOS AND KONCHU MUST BE WIPED OUT!

D:

wiibomb

sure, but why would i chose seregios bow over let's say exterminator bow II which has 12 less raw damage but also 220 dragon, if i'm fighting a monster that is weak to said element? or any other elemental bow for that matter.

it might work better for those monsters that are resistant to dragon, in that bows case of course..

I know its powerful and good enough to be a kind of jack-of-all-trades bow

and a monster that is paralyzed for a couple of seconds is pretty huge during multiplayer, if your team can just hit it for that duration. what i like to do for example is loading paralyze coating when someone mounted, so i can paralyze it right after which gives the team even more time to hit it. if i'm playing with a hammer user the opening gets even bigger because he will usually try to KO it as well. that's like 30sec free hits.
and sleep bombing can be pretty important in singleplayer, because let's face it, bow kill times in 4u are pretty high.

about this second part, yes, in multiplayer I would absolutely go for statuses on bows since they are very useful, but for solo or even for speed hunts a powerful bow is more useful

Leezard

Isn't the whole point of the Seregios weapons their special ability? On bowguns, you get one extra loaded ammo for each dodge, which means you might never have to reload. Melee weapons get some sharpness every 5 dodges. Bow should get something similar to what the bowguns get, no?

ilium

Isn't the whole point of the Seregios weapons their special ability? On bowguns, you get one extra load for free for each dodge. Melee weapons get some sharpness every 5 dodges. Bow should get something similar to what the bowguns get, no?

yes, the bow's special ability gives c.range coatings the 50% damage bonus you only get with power coatings. that's cool but compare that to auto-reload and auto-sharpening because you can only hold 20 c.range coatings. that's not all that much. and the downsides of the bow are pretty huge compared to that.

it might work better for those monsters that are resistant to dragon, in that bows case of course..

I know its powerful and good enough to be a kind of jack-of-all-trades bow

yea, i guess it's a jack of all trades weapon, but the thing is, there is no elemental resistance. you either deal more damage because something is weak to it, or you just do regular damage without an elemental bonus. and why would i not have one bow for each elemental and choose accordingly?

about this second part, yes, in multiplayer I would absolutely go for statuses on bows since they are very useful, but for solo or even for speed hunts a powerful bow is more useful

i'm going to craft the bow and try it obviously, because why not. but on paper it just seems weak compared to bows that exploit elemental weaknesses.

+ power shot

- no elemental damage

huh.

Sounds like a sweet bow if you're solo or grinding a monster you've beaten before, and kinda lackluster for Multiplayer.

wiibomb

yea, i guess it's a jack of all trades weapon, but the thing is, there is no elemental resistance. you either deal more damage because something is weak to it, or you just do regular damage without an elemental bonus. and why would i not have one bow for each elemental and choose accordingly?

AFAIK, it's a multiplier that directly affects the raw damage, monsters do have a resistance to certain elements, and each positive resistance makes the multiplier do a negative on the raw damage, making them deal less damage than the same weapon without the element.

that's why going full fire bow against a rathalos is such a bad idea

so what's the best way to GP with charge blade? is it to press R+A on idle (sword unsheathed), avoiding to press R first? this part I can't really understand in the gaijin hunter "practicing GP" tutorial...

wiibomb

so what's the best way to GP with charge blade? is it to press R+A on idle (sword unsheathed), avoiding to press R first? this part I can't really understand in the gaijin hunter "practicing GP" tutorial...

I'm pretty lost with that part too, haven't managed to make GP outside of pure luck moments where either the monster roars or another hunter accidentally hits me

ilium

AFAIK, it's a multiplier that directly affects the raw damage, monsters do have a resistance to certain elements, and each positive resistance makes the multiplier do a negative on the raw damage, making them deal less damage than the same weapon without the element.

that's why going full fire bow against a rathalos is such a bad idea

yea, but who brings a fire weapon to a rathalos fight? ;)
if i have a dragon or thunder elemental weapon however, why would i choose seregios bow instead? i always choose my bow according to the monster i fight so i get the most damage out of it. that's why it's so difficult for me to understand what seregios bow exactly brings on the table.

edit: then again, maybe i overvalue elemental damage? i wish we had the exact math for damage values.

I'm pretty lost with that part too, haven't managed to make GP outside of pure luck moments where either the monster roars or another hunter accidentally hits me
i can do the one with a X swing first, but it can only work if you see the attack coming long before it hits, due to the delay.
The "instant" GP remains quite difficult to get for me. Glad I am not the only one. Any tip?

edit: then again, maybe i overvalue elemental damage? i wish we had the exact math for damage values.

Agreed. I'd be really happy to see elemental vs raw weapons for LBG, Bow, Long Sword, DB, and a couple others. One eventually popped up for MH3, so hopefully we'll see formulas or a calculator soon.

Yup. I ran into that problem the other day and realized I only had a handful of popfish around. Lots of scatterfish these days though, it's all my cats haul in.

I switch to it situationally with normal 2 as my primary shot and that works great. My one true love is pierce HBG though, looking into those next. Gravios looks like it'd work but I'm closing in on Kushala Daora in the caravan quests.

My favorites were always the piercing heavy bowguns too. Was a disappointing roller coaster to first find out Nargacuga wasn't in the game, then discover I could still trade for Nargacuga parts, only to do so and find out the Nargacuga bowgun isn't in the game anyway.

I just loved the sound it made in MH3U when firing pierce with super low recoil. Probably my favorite weapon in series.

wiibomb

yea, but who brings a fire weapon to a rathalos fight? ;)
if i have a dragon or thunder elemental weapon however, why would i choose seregios bow instead? i always choose my bow according to the monster i fight so i get the most damage out of it. that's why it's so difficult for me to understand what seregios bow exactly brings on the table.

I can only think that may be if you do not have a weakness bow for the monster or even if you are in such slack to rather not change the weapon, then the seregios bow works pretty well since it works for everything..

about the elemental damage... it was posted some pages back
edit: nope, that was the sharpness damage

I can only think that may be if you do not have a weakness bow for the monster or even if you are in such slack to rather not change the weapon, then the seregios bow works pretty well since it works for everything..

about the elemental damage... it was posted some pages back
edit: nope, that was the sharpness damage

Yeah, it's a really complicated one that they change every game, so the MH3U formulas most likely don't work.
It's also a different calculation specific to each weapon, making it even more complicated.

This is my first Monster Hunter game. I'm still early (Caravan 4*), but how on earth do I keep my item box organized? Thank goodness there's the combo list, but is there are sort option?

This is my first Monster Hunter game. I'm still early (Caravan 4*), but how on earth do I keep my item box organized? Thank goodness there's the combo list, but is there are sort option?

Press x to sort while the box is open. Works on your equipment box and item pouch too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom