• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So how do you gunner guys solo multiple monsters? I go on an expedition and after one is dropped I don't seem to be able to carry enough ammo for two. I hit all my shots to their weak points and everything, but there just isn't enough to go around. Eventually I'm just getting by on normal shots and they get away.

So how do you gunner guys solo multiple monsters? I go on an expedition and after one is dropped I don't seem to be able to carry enough ammo for two. I hit all my shots to their weak points and everything, but there just isn't enough to go around. Eventually I'm just getting by on normal shots and they get away.

Bring crafting materials and craft more ammo mid-quest.

Shengar

No need to apologize for being quicker on the draw! We were both doing the same thing whenever a monster was on its ass.

Both of you used CB? Is that mean CB doesn't have super armor when attacking?
Interesting, I should take a note
Though most of the time, its CB user that trip all the time

tuffy

Lots of normal lv. 2 shot. I carry 99 huskberries and 99 needleberries (both of which are buyable from the shop) which are combine-able for up to 396 normal lv. 2 shots on top of the 99 I can carry with me. Though I'll sometimes ration out my other shots per monster (50 normal lv. 3s against one, 49 against the other), there's always been enough lv. 2 to go around.

No need to apologize for being quicker on the draw! We were both doing the same thing whenever a monster was on its ass.

yep, I still cling to the same attack pattern, I have to renew it a little bit.
I don't even use normal guard very often. I have to learn how to be less spammy.

That was my thing in MH3U. I was using great sword. My technique was a bit like butterfly and the bee. To evade and then release a level 3 charge attack at the right spot. Was not really technical marvel, but carried me into G-rank while playing solo.

ilium

Bring crafting materials and craft more ammo mid-quest.

Lots of normal lv. 2 shot. I carry 99 huskberries and 99 needleberries (both of which are buyable from the shop) which are combine-able for up to 396 normal lv. 2 shots on top of the 99 I can carry with me. Though I'll sometimes ration out my other shots per monster (50 normal lv. 3s against one, 49 against the other), there's always been enough lv. 2 to go around.

sigh.

i can only bring 20 nitroshrooms with me, which limits my power coatings to 70 max per quest. that's not nearly enough for multiple monsters. (that's usually not even enough for 1) only upside is that bow has unlimited arrows. but bowguns have unlimited level 1 shots as well.

why do you hate bows so much capcom? :(

Does gaijinhunter work for Capcom or something? If not they should pay him, his promotion of the game is outstanding.

I just heard on the bombcast that he is a guest on the latest 8-4 Play. I haven't listened to them in a while but I'll have to catch this one.

He's ironically a producer on the Kingdom Hearts series.

I will never understand how he finds the time to make these videos. Hahaha.

tuffy

sigh.

i can only bring 20 nitroshrooms with me, which limits my power coatings to 70 max per quest. that's not nearly enough for multiple monsters. (that's usually not even enough for 1) only upside is that bow has unlimited arrows. but bowguns have unlimited level 1 shots as well.
To be fair, normal level 1 shots are half strength and not much good for anything besides blasting the occasional Bnahabra. Surely bows can fight at regular strength with normal arrows so long as one's stamina holds out, which I've always thought was one of their big advantages in a long chain hunt.

Shiina

Is anybody else getting disconnected all the time, i sometimes make a whole hunt before i get the dreaded error 003-4099. but usually happens half way through.

I have tried two different routers and two different 3DS handhelds and it still happens.

I have setup static IPand DNS with port forwarding setup that nintendo recommends.

But still no luck. Anybody have any ideas or a fix.

I have the same. Yesterday I read that setting the wifi encryption to WPA2 instead of WPA/WPA2 might help and I did that and had a disconnect-free hunt but that doesn't mean anything. Disconnecting in the lobby is one thing, but disconnecting mid-hunt is really infuriating.

ooteeni

I have the same. Yesterday I read that setting the wifi encryption to WPA2 instead of WPA/WPA2 might help and I did that and had a disconnect-free hunt but that doesn't mean anything. Disconnecting in the lobby is one thing, but disconnecting mid-hunt is really infuriating.

I'm wondering if its a region thing, I'm in Australia. A few others that have this problem are from aus too.

Tonight i managed two hunts in a row before a disconnect at the begining of the 3rd...another disconnect halfway through 1st hunt and two just waiting in the lobby.

Every time i try the urgent hr2 i'm booted halfway through.

Fandangox

Almost 20 S. Magala's and no Phosgem. This is getting ridiculous.

But he's super easy to take down now.

I have had the phosgem for a while, I pretty much have everything to keep upgrading my gunlance forward except I need a Regular Gore Magala Nyctgem to get to those first. WHICH JUST WON'T DROP.

One question. I shouldnt stick to one weapon for the whole game right? Do I have to switch between weapons depending on the monster? Really new no this and really liking the charge blade.

cheesekao

One question. I shouldnt stick to one weapon for the whole game right? Do I have to switch between weapons depending on the monster? Really new no this and really liking the charge blade.
It's up to you. If you like a weapon just use it but some monsters can be killed quicker with other weapons.

You guys have no idea how much I was internally yelling to lay off and let Dah'ren get closer. Lost 4 carves....

All but one random group I've done this with kills the monster off the map...sometimes so far off we couldn't even carve the belly. I finally changed one of my chat messages to "Let it get closer", just so I'd have something to spam when people won't lay off.

It did work...the time I used it was the only time the rest of the team backed off, and we got all the carves. Dah'ren really needs more health, just to help prevent this.

Fandangox

In 3U I went basically Gunlance only, without much issue. Here I am using others aside from that, not really necessary, but its fun to play the other playstyles and some other weapons are slightly better geared against certain monsters.

ramyeon

I have had the phosgem for a while, I pretty much have everything to keep upgrading my gunlance forward except I need a Regular Gore Magala Nyctgem to get to those first. WHICH JUST WON'T DROP.
Desire sensor is real D:
Does all of his attack embedded to you muscle memory now?
At least when you done with Dalamadur, your HR will be sky high lol
That's a plus, and yeah pretty much lol. Took him down with only 1 or 2 hits before.

Pains me every time I carve a Scale+ from his tail :(
Meanwhile I got 2 phosgems and 2 plates out of my first 3 HR S. Magalas. Probably because I don't need them (yet).
:(

Just took down another and still no luck.

deim0s

Feel free to switch and try out weapons for a monster anytime. It really depends on how you use the weapon on them.

Am a GS user, so for Rathalos/Rathian I switch from CB since I'm more comfortable or so used to fighting them with it - they fly around a lot, so when they land they'll find a level 3 charge to the head. With a group I just go whatever I feel like at the time.

Does anyone know when the materials exchange refreshes its inventory?

Do the Caravan 1 star meat quest then check if the inventory changes. Repeat till you get what you want.

Shengar

All but one random group I've done this with kills the monster off the map...sometimes so far off we couldn't even carve the belly. I finally changed one of my chat messages to "Let it get closer", just so I'd have something to spam when people won't lay off.

It did work...the time I used it was the only time the rest of the team backed off, and we got all the carves. Dah'ren really needs more health, just to help prevent this.

It's not just about health. Dah'ren is so slow compared to its bigger cousin due to the fact that most players will break its two feet, which slowing their movement speed during the final showdown. Then, Dah'ren got flinched too easily and moved backward a lot.

I think it could be easily solved if only Capcom actually put Dah'ren in accessible area, or make it accessible.

Fandangox

Desire sensor is real D:

Like I have 4 Gore plates, 2 rathian rubies, 1 rathalos rubies, like 11 wyvern gems, the rare zinogre drop, a bunch of beaks, the phosgem, 3 rath plates.

I AM NOT USING ANY OF THOSE I JUST WANT THE GEM.

At this point I can almost reach the end of the Princess Panoply Tree which I may as well do cause my current gunlance is still stuck in 299/180.

ilium

To be fair, normal level 1 shots are half strength and not much good for anything besides blasting the occasional Bnahabra. Surely bows can fight at regular strength with normal arrows so long as one's stamina holds out, which I've always thought was one of their big advantages in a long chain hunt.

fair enough, i assumed level shots 1 are 100% damage.

but you see, i was just doing high rank seltas queen caravan quest. i was using an element bow she is weak to, ~95% of my shots hit the target from critical distance and around half of them the head, which is her weakspot. and there really wasn't much time between my shots. i also sleep bombed her twice, used all my power coatings and it still took me nearly 40(!) minutes to kill.

neither does this seem right nor is it any fun. :\

Both of you used CB? Is that mean CB doesn't have super armor when attacking?
Interesting, I should take a note
Though most of the time, its CB user that trip all the time

I'm not sure. Does super armor prevent you being launched by the really big attacks?

That was my thing in MH3U. I was using great sword. My technique was a bit like butterfly and the bee. To evade and then release a level 3 charge attack at the right spot. Was not really technical marvel, but carried me into G-rank while playing solo.

GS was my main in 3U too, which is probably why we have a similar approach to CB.

Mupod

The general rule is to always bring materials for combination. Combination skills can in some situations actually contribute much more to your damage than actual damage abilities - for example if you were to fight dual black gravios with an LBG, getting the most out of your water ammo would be worth more than any armor skills.

Preparation can have dramatic effects on bowguns, which is why item sets are so great for them. Choosing the right weapon and supporting it with armor skills is important too. If I bring a hammer with 200 lightning element instead of 200 fire to Khezu that won't make much difference, but accidentally bringing the wrong HBG could make things difficult if not impossible.

I guess it is it's possible to over-prepare though. I fought Dahren Mohran with an HBG for fun, brought tons of ammo materials to combine, and ended up being 1 inventory space short as I carved an Earth Dragongem. Didn't have time to discard anything :(

ramyeon

Just played a round of S. Magala with a random room that triple carted. I'll never know if there was a Phosgem in that one... :(

Shengar

I'm not sure. Does super armor prevent you being launched by the really big attacks?
Nope, just small attacks. Big upswing always send everybody up in the air, even LS that executing their spirit combo lol
I always thought that CB doesn't have super armor due to SnS doesn't have one too except their unsheathe attack, lead me to conclusion that every shield bearer doesn't have super armor whatsoever.

VandalD

You can mix up your weaponry as little or as much as you want. People tend to at least swap between different elemental weapons if they stick to one weapon type, but you don't even have to do that, though it's helpful to do so. Have you tried all the 1 star weapon tutorials? Maybe you'll find something you like even more than or on the same level as the Charge Blade.

What I enjoyed doing in Tri was playing most of the game with Sword and Shield, then going online and helping people in lower ranks with weapons I wasn't as familiar with, keeping my higher rank armor on so I could make more mistakes and not punish them with a faint.

I just did both the "Frenzied Rathian & Kecha" and the HR "Congalala & Gypceros" quests last night as a gunner.
First, make sure you have a gun that rapid fires something one of them is weak to. That'll conserve ammo.
Second, bring materials to combine to make more Normal 2 shots.
Finally, bring a trap and tranquilizers, and cap the first monster. That'll save a good 15-25 rounds of ammo right there.

I just got the Rathling Doombringer, and it rapid fires Normal 2 and Flaming shots, and I haven't ran out of ammo yet though I got pretty close in the Congalala/Gypceros one.

ohlawd

Really? It was so easy whenever I fought it alone or with randoms.

edit: awesome, a +5 evasion talisman.

I've seen people cart to Seltas Queen more than anything else so far

recently got a +6 evade charm too. high enough for me to gem in + get rid of negatives on low slot sets

Mupod

Seltas Queen is killing people online left and right.

The new Barroth.

Wut. It's so slow. Cool as hell and probably my favorite 4U monster but you'd have to be very careless to get carted by it repeatedly.

On the other hand I fought Garuga last night, I used to farm him in F2/FU so I figured it would be a walk in the park. He's not. Maybe it's my weapon choice. I need to figure out how to reliably avoid his run up->peck move as HBG, even evade extender doesn't get me far enough and I don't have time to sheathe. It's constantly in rage mode too, although I expected that. One positive thing is he only needs regular earplugs - for some reason I assumed he needed high grade. Maybe I got mixed up because I used to wear his set to get high grade earplugs.

Come to think of it is there a quick list of monsters that need earplugs/high grade? I know some of the obvious ones but my memory isn't perfect and some monsters changed. I believe Brachy only needs normal earplugs now whereas he needed HGE before.

Pila

You mean you actually read what your cat tells you!?! O_O'
I haven't been paying close attention myself, but I wouldn't count on it too much. My support cat has been plenty helpful, spotting monsters on the map, letting me know the paint is coming off, calling out capture readiness, setting up traps, etc. But it's never been very consistent. Sometimes they call it out, sometimes they dont, sometimes they set up a trap, sometimes they don't... They kind of do what they want. Or maybe that's just my green kitty Polka and yours is better.

Sure thing I read what the little fellas have to say, they better deliver quality hunting support or I'll just feed my rathalos pet with fresh palico meat. =P

A word about Bowgun stuff (credit here)

Here is how Normal shots work (damage wise):
LV1: 6
LV2: 12
LV3: 10

An advantage of level 3 is that it ricochets more than the others. In MH3U, this was a broken mechanism underwater because particles moved slower, causing it to do massive damage. Since there is no underwater in MH4, you'll almost always want the raw power of Normal 2 shots. It's also easier to find rapid fire/crouching fire guns with Normal 2.

Also, when you rapid fire, you're doing 70% damage per hit. So, assuming you land all three, you just let one round do 210% damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom