• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

Is there a reason that there's no free chat during a hunt, because it's starting to really bother me.
Always fun when one guy is obviously out of potions and runs back to camp for more. Once he's used those up he's running around fighting at 10% health and you're still just sitting there spamming FOLLOW ME and trying to get him to take your Mega Potions as he runs right past you three times

Kinsei

Banned
Thanks for having me along, Kinsei. Pretty sure you did most of the work there. Think I spent most of the little bits of fighting time trying to get essence.

Glad I could help.

We really wrecked that Gore Magala, huh? The poor thing never even went into frenzy before it died.

blackflag

Damn, having a helluva time breaking Monblos horn. Using the Gore Magala hammer. I know an Ice weapon would be good but I don't even see an Ice hammer thats decent in my list of possible things to make. Never had this much trouble with Diablos horns in previous games.

Damn, having a helluva time breaking Monblos horn. Using the Gore Magala hammer. I know an Ice weapon would be good but I don't even see an Ice hammer thats decent in my list of possible things to make. Never had this much trouble with Diablos horns in previous games.

I've noticed that Ice weapons are surprisingly lacking up until mid-late High Rank. It was the same in MH3U as well and drove me nuts.

WorldStar

Banned
Always fun when one guy is obviously out of potions and runs back to camp for more. Once he's used those up he's running around fighting at 10% health and you're still just sitting there spamming FOLLOW ME and trying to get him to take your Mega Potions as he runs right past you three times

How do yo give someone potions?

wiibomb

How do yo give someone potions?

go to the items list in your pouch, select the item and chose the "give" option, then select how many you want to give and to who you want to give it..

when you finally position yourself in the give position a beep will ring in the hunters sound and the receiver need to press A in front of you to receive it

it's worth noting that you can only trade item from rare2 and bellow.. so no carve trades or rewards

PKrockin

Do any of the books do anything besides the combo book?
I believe the monster list books only give you a little description of the monster to read in your Hunter Notes in the Start menu. There's also the records for shortest/longest and number of times killed/capped but that's on your Guild Card too I think.

Moondrop

Banned
I soloed my way to the Guild Mohran, I don't know why I thought I couldn't solo it too. ;)

A bit concerned about my connection though; dropping too often.

wiibomb

Just made a Gunner Set. If I have the option to remove the Limiter for a Heavy Bowgun should I do it?

for multiplayer the crouch options is good since the monster doesn't always focus on you as the target, but on solo the crouching fire is worthless as more than half of the time you will be hit by the monster in either the set up or the proper shooting

as a personal recommendation, take out the limiter, the crouching fire is not as good as having more power in th HBG

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
All this talk about charge blade has made me switch over from Long Sword. I've blasted through a few tutorials and I'm now ready to roll.

Mupod

Just made a Gunner Set. If I have the option to remove the Limiter for a Heavy Bowgun should I do it?

It's only available on higher rank guns, starting at rarity 6.

It depends on the gun, your playstyle, and what you're fighting. For example, I'm solo and using a weapon that gets 11 shots of my primary shot (normal 2) when the limiter is off. It's very, very unlikely that I'll ever get in a situation where I can fire more than that in a row safely - a successful mount barely gives me time to fire off all 11. In that case, siege mode is pretty pointless and you benefit greatly from the increased power.

I generally almost always take the limiter off because that's my playstyle, I usually just make a fast reloading gun with a high ammo capacity for the shot I intend to use. I also solo a lot so I don't always have huge openings for siege mode. There's exceptions like catching a tired monster in a pitfall trap, but over the course of the fight the damage boost from removing the limiter is probably much more useful.

However if you were to fight Dahren Mohran where you can safely siege mode all goddamn day, I guess you'd want to make something like the Diablos gun that's designed for it.

Removing the limiter also improves your shield but it's rare I even put that on. Never, actually. I'm thinking it'd be nice for Rathalos now that he likes to spam that stupid poison dive thing.

Also, HBG Wyvern fire kinda sucks. It's fun though.

Tom_Cody

since i am close to fighting seregios in single player i was taking a closer look at the seregios bow to see if it's any good. according to general consensus on the internetz it is supposed to be one of the best bows, and the best seregios weapon.

but honestly, i don't see it...

+ it's special ability gives c.range coatings the same 50% damage bonus as power coatings
+ third highest raw damage of all bows (384, final upgrade)
+ 30% affinity (final upgrade)
+ power shot

- can only use power, c.range and paint coatings
- no elemental damage
- load up skill is pretty much mandatory to make it en par with every other bow regarding charge level
- rapid shot arrow type, which according to gaijin hunter's tumblr is the lowest potential damage arrow type
- power shot (drains stamina extremely fast without dash juice)

so while the seregios weapon bonus is kinda nice because it basically gives you 20 more power coatings the downsides to this bow are huge.
no status effects coatings which means, no sleeping, no paralyzing, no poison. i think those are pretty important on- and offline. it's a rapid arrow bow, so you want to hit enemy elemental weak spots with it. but there is no element damage on this bow.

huh.
Gaijin Hunter said this about it on reddit:

Gaijun Hunter said:
The Seregios bow is the best in the game next to Rare Tigrex. You have to use load up to unlock the charge 3 but the attack power and power shot is ridiculous. And to add more to that, the Seregios bow (only) has a special effect that close distance coatings also get the 1.5x attack power effect of power coatings. That means not only do you get more power phials, but the c. distance ones are all critical hits if you are close, so you can ignore critical distance as long as you are near the monster.
Because monsters move so fast in MH4G/U, rapid is very good. Mid distance is safer than close and you can hit a very specific area whereas a moving monster will make it so half your spread arrows miss. Also the high attack bows that have power are all rapid, not spread. Hope that helps clarify why it's so popular!
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaijinhunter/comments/2t5glr/bow_tutorial/cnvwhv4

I'm a beginner to the series, but I'll just add that I personally prefer power shot bows and I get why it is a beast for single player.

Faiz

i seriously hope none of you guys do this

I still fear the day I accidentally hit X and resort my equipment box to the horrible default.

Page 1 and 2 for talismans because I get new ones constantly.

Page 3: Weapons. Columns 1 and 2: Greatswords. 3 and 4: Hammers. 5 and 6: Horns. 7 and 8: Lances. 9: Gunlances. 10: Other.

Page 4: Armor. Each set lined up in its own row. None of this grouping by hat, chest, arms, etc. garbage.

Sounds tedious. I learned to embrace the auto sort long ago and have next to no trouble finding gear when I need to which, thanks to set registration, is pretty rare.

Question for Bowgun users:

In general, when someone mounts a monster in Multiplayer, they request that you don't attack the monster. Now, if you're ranged, does that matter? What I mean is, I can shoot at the monster's foot/wings/head/tail, and that won't mess up the mounter, correct?

Beats

for multiplayer the crouch options is good since the monster doesn't always focus on you as the target, but on solo the crouching fire is worthless as more than half of the time you will be hit by the monster in either the set up or the proper shooting

as a personal recommendation, take out the limiter, the crouching fire is not as good as having more power in th HBG

It's only available on higher rank guns, starting at rarity 6.

It depends on the gun, your playstyle, and what you're fighting. For example, I'm solo and using a weapon that gets 11 shots of my primary shot (normal 2) when the limiter is off. It's very, very unlikely that I'll ever get in a situation where I can fire more than that in a row safely - a successful mount barely gives me time to fire off all 11. In that case, siege mode is pretty pointless and you benefit greatly from the increased power.

I generally almost always take the limiter off because that's my playstyle, I usually just make a fast reloading gun with a high ammo capacity for the shot I intend to use. I also solo a lot so I don't always have huge openings for siege mode. There's exceptions like catching a tired monster in a pitfall trap, but over the course of the fight the damage boost from removing the limiter is probably much more useful.

However if you were to fight Dahren Mohran where you can safely siege mode all goddamn day, I guess you'd want to make something like the Diablos gun that's designed for it.

Removing the limiter also improves your shield but it's rare I even put that on. Never, actually. I'm thinking it'd be nice for Rathalos now that he likes to spam that stupid poison dive thing.

Also, HBG Wyvern fire kinda sucks. It's fun though.

Thank you. I'll give it a shot in solo and multi. Also, is there a downside to the Power Barrel? I put one on my Biting Blast HBG, but there weren't any other changes besides the attack increase.

In general, when someone mounts a monster in Multiplayer, they request that you don't attack the monster. Now, if you're ranged, does that matter? What I mean is, I can shoot at the monster's foot/wings/head/tail, and that won't mess up the mounter, correct?

I just plain wouldn't attack the monster. I've been knocked off by a glaive user's insect before, and I'd imagine that's also ranged.

tuffy

Thank you. I'll give it a shot in solo and multi. Also, is there a downside to the Power Barrel? I put one on my Biting Blast HBG, but there weren't any other changes besides the attack increase.
The only downside is that Power Barrel, Silencer and Shield are all mutually-exclusive.

But since the Silencer and Shield are of limited use at best, I always install a Power Barrel.

Anything that staggers the monster will fling the mounter off; this includes bowgun shots and arrows.

VandalD

Glad I could help.

We really wrecked that Gore Magala, huh? The poor thing never even went into frenzy before it died.
That fight was ridiculous. He barely even got to attack, let alone frenzy.
I soloed my way to the Guild Mohran, I don't know why I thought I couldn't solo it too. ;)

A bit concerned about my connection though; dropping too often.
I've seen others talk about connection issues too. I've DC'd or had the hall leader DC, but it hasn't been that often. I definitely have a strict NAT (which I can do nothing about, yay ISPs), and MH3U never worked for me when I tried to join anyone else's tavern. It was constant error codes with that game unless I hosted, and then I'm sure most people wouldn't have been able to connect to me, probably unless they had an open NAT. I don't know what they changed, but 4U has been pretty damn good for me, especially compared to 3U. It's almost like we're playing on servers instead of relying on peer-to-peer.

zlCfzTDJOCkzmqweT5

#ibad #umad

How do you do guild quests while in Harth?

When do you recommend starting online play? I'm HR1 and at the 3 star village quests. Actually, i'm not even sure how to play online... Anyway, my friend code is 3136-6739-2160 if anyone wants to join.

When do you recommend starting online play? I'm HR1 and at the 3 star village quests. Actually, i'm not even sure how to play online... Anyway, my friend code is 3136-6739-2160 if anyone wants to join.

You can go wherever you want pretty much at any point in the game. Just bring up your map and pick to go to the guild hall.

After picking the guild hall icon, there'll be an option to "Change your online status".

Set it to online, and you should be able to figure the rest out from there :).

Renewed

Press start, move to the next page and go over to Guild Quests. You pick which monster and what level to add to your Guild Quests. As you fight and complete that quest, the quest monster levels up.

To play online, go to World map and tap on Gathering Hall. You'll see Online Status. It's all straightforward from there. You can make a gathering hall which has an ID you give to people and you can give it a passcode.

Hale-XF11

3DS limitations I guess. And yeah, it's quite a problem...

Is the 3DS really that limited or is MH4U just taking up too much of the system's processing power or something to be able to handle it? I've mentioned this earlier in the thread, but Heroes of Ruin does voice chat in lobbies, during the loading screen and while out on missions and it works great. I'm trying to understand why more games, but especially this one, don't take advantage of the built-in mic. The tech is there, but no one's supporting it.

R0ckman

For those looking for rare drops from monsters, its best to go here - http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/

and checking out the loot drop charts, what I do is go to the quest that will give me the most amount of rolls for the item. So one that will give me a chance at it from completing the quest, from breaking a part, from a shiny and from a carve. That's 4 chances. Pick up those shinies, many of my drops came from those and their 1%, never gone over 10 hunts for a rare item drop.

tuffy

Is the 3DS really that limited or is MH4U just taking up too much of the system's processing power or something to be able to handle it?
Considering that 4 Ultimate has to remove much of the OS from memory and do a full reboot in order to get back to the main menu on regular 3DSes, I don't think there's any power to spare for voice chat.

ilium

when do you unlock those wynstones in caravan? i just realised that the single player is extremely unfun for me, so i wonder how much longer i have to endure it. i'm at 8* urgent.

Shiina

when do you unlock those wynstones in caravan? i just realised that the single player is extremely unfun for me, so i wonder how much longer i have to endure it. i'm at 8* urgent.

After the S.Zinogre quest in 9*. That's I think 4 keys into 9*.

Kinsei

Banned

You need to finish the story (urgent to get into 10*) to get all of the wystones.

R0ckman

How do monsters behave in online battles with multiple players? Finally near a point where I want to play with others. I'll probably goof around with randoms in HR3 to HR4 and then stick to hunting with GAF members.

I'm hearing people running out of potions and stuff, hard to believe actually, playing by myself that usually never happened unless I was spammed multiple times, which didn't happen often or I was just not properly equipped to face the monster, which rarely happened. I know some monsters have some really devastating moves but typically there should be enough people in online hunts where the weaker players can get away with being a little more cautious. If they come in with 10 potions, 10 mega potions and an ancient just in case they get carted from a spam that catches them off gaurd, they should be fine with 3 other hunters.

Kinsei

Banned
How do monsters behave in online battles with multiple players? Finally near a point where I want to play with others. I'll probably goof around with randoms in HR3 to HR4 and then stick to hunting with GAF members.

I'm hearing people running out of potions and stuff, hard to believe actually, playing by myself that usually never happened unless I was spammed multiple times, which didn't happen often or I was just not properly equipped to face the monster, which rarely happened. I know some monsters have some really devastating moves but typically there should be enough people in online hunts where the weaker players can get away with being a little more cautious. If they come in with 10 potions, 10 mega potions and an ancient just in case they get carted from a spam that catches them off gaurd, they should be fine with 3 other hunters.

People running out of potions doesn't happen until G rank and higher where a single attack can take off over half of your health.

You'll find that most of the time, you'll get hit by attacks not aimed at you when you're online. It's easy to control monster AI solo, but sometimes it's hard to tell what player is being targeted online, so you'll dodge in a direction you think is safe, but the monster tries to attack a player in the direction you rolled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom