• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep forgetting to complain about this but wind pressure, my god it's such a pain in the ass to see your hunter stuck flinching for what seems like forever.

This is my first Monster Hunter game. I'm still early (Caravan 4*), but how on earth do I keep my item box organized? Thank goodness there's the combo list, but is there are sort option?
when in the box, tap X to sort your stuff.
works with you quest inventory too, and can be very useful!

edit : beaten

so I will take advantage of the new page :
how guys do you "instant GP" with CB? I can only do the trick with a X swing before, and that has too much delay to work on close attacks...

Airan

so what's the best way to GP with charge blade? is it to press R+A on idle (sword unsheathed), avoiding to press R first? this part I can't really understand in the gaijin hunter "practicing GP" tutorial...

There are two guard point opportunities:

1) Press R+X at the same time when in sword mode. You know if you successfully do the guard point because your hunter will slot the sword into the shield before changing into the axe (if you press R to guard THEN press X, the slotting is bypassed)

2) Press R in axe mode to do a spinning side slash, which will bring your shield forward. I believe this is the same animation as press X after a dodge but I've not tested GP'ing with that.

how guys do you "instant GP" with CB? I can only do the trick with a X swing before that has too much delay to work on close attacks...

Can't help with that but if you want a shiny new CB join me for some HR Nerscylla hunts.

59-8332-6038-9173

There are two guard point opportunities:

1) Press R+X at the same time when in sword mode. You know if you successfully do the guard point because your hunter will slot the sword into the shield before changing into the axe (if you press R to guard THEN press X, the slotting is bypassed)

2) Press R in axe mode to do a spinning side slash, which will bring your shield forward. I believe this is the same animation as press X after a dodge but I've not tested GP'ing with that.

thanks, you clarified it. I have to try this now.

Airan

thanks, you clarified it. I have to try this now.

Also don't worry too much about the timing for R+X, it's actually very generous (the blocking will stay active for about 0.7 seconds).

Standard Tigrex is a recommended monster to practise GP'ing - he will charge at you no matter the distance, and his charge is heavily telegraphed. I think there's a caravan 4 quest you can jump into quickly.

Anura

since i am close to fighting seregios in single player i was taking a closer look at the seregios bow to see if it's any good. according to general consensus on the internetz it is supposed to be one of the best bows, and the best seregios weapon.

but honestly, i don't see it...

+ it's special ability gives c.range coatings the same 50% damage bonus as power coatings
+ third highest raw damage of all bows (384, final upgrade)
+ 30% affinity (final upgrade)
+ power shot

- can only use power, c.range and paint coatings
- no elemental damage
- load up skill is pretty much mandatory to make it en par with every other bow regarding charge level
- rapid shot arrow type, which according to gaijin hunter's tumblr is the lowest potential damage arrow type
- power shot (drains stamina extremely fast without dash juice)

so while the seregios weapon bonus is kinda nice because it basically gives you 20 more power coatings the downsides to this bow are huge.
no status effects coatings which means, no sleeping, no paralyzing, no poison. i think those are pretty important on- and offline. it's a rapid arrow bow, so you want to hit enemy elemental weak spots with it. but there is no element damage on this bow.

huh.

Rapid shot shouldn't be a negative, it's a great shot type! For pierce shots to be good you need a long monster and spread shots generally suck at hitting the weak points, something that's so important to getting good bow times. Rapid shots can really hone onto the head and deal some good damage.

Basically:
Pierce is amazing in certain situations.

Rapid is great at getting at weak points and for all purpose bowing.

Spread isn't very good... It has it's uses though

Dimmle

I'm coming into Monster Hunter 4U with about 20 hours of MH3U under my belt and I can't express how much more satisfying it is to begin a Monster Hunter game with some foreknowledge. Hell yeah, I know how to cook a well-done steak. Hell yeah, I know what's up with those weird goats. I'm ready.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Finally HR3! I have used the S&S 5 times and hammer 70 times. Might have to start upgrading and using something that will let me start cutting tails.

If you love the hammer and wanna cut tails I would recommend you give the switch axe a shot.

the axe mode feels similar to the hammer without charge attacks and slightly slower, while the sword mode lets you go to town on anything. It's pretty fun!

Lets see if asking again helps:

What's is the best mining strategy at beginning of the game? What is the best quest to mine?

I'm to weak to fight Yian Kut-Ku but the amount of minerals I'm missing is just ridiculous.

how guys do you "instant GP" with CB? I can only do the trick with a X swing before, and that has too much delay to work on close attacks...
I switched start/select in options to Kick, with a CB out that maps to morph

Lets see if asking again helps:

What's is the best mining strategy at beginning of the game? What is the best quest to mine?

I'm to weak to fight Yian Kut-Ku but the amount of minerals I'm missing is just ridiculous.
Go into the Gathering Hall and choose the Harvest Tour quests. 50 minutes of zero pressure mining

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Capturing a Gypceros is incredibly annoying. It does so many things that makes it seem like it's about dead but apparently it can still escape a trap at that point and the next two in even worse states. Does it have to literally be laying belly up crying for mercy or something? I'm going to have to bring trap and tranq crafting mats galore since it barely lets me hold a handful at a time.

Great game, seems better attuned to new players in early quest mode but still not an easy game in the wide world of gaming. I like most of the new monsters and old ones often seem more aggressive, entertainingly so. Poking around quest level 7, HR3 in hall. First thing to give me momentary grief so far was actually the Purple Gypceros 7 village quest. Expecting to divert a bit to do some Yian Garuga GQ.

Very much skewed towards Insect Glaive here, where I focus on a Fire/Poison/Blunt and a Dragon/Ice/Slice Rare 4 for now. Secondarily back to GS.

Capturing a Gypceros is incredibly annoying. It does so many things that makes it seem like it's about dead but apparently it can still escape a trap at that point and the next two in even worse states. Does it have to literally be laying belly up crying for mercy or something? I'm going to have to bring trap and tranq crafting mats galore since it barely lets me hold a handful at a time.
you didn't use electric traps did you?

R0ckman

Only for the last one which it didn't even go into because it just flew away.

Doesn't work on him.

Seems the cats start talking more when you are in HR, does that depend on their level too? They hardly said anything when I was early in the game using them. Maybe their enthusiasm was too low, also, how do you feed these guys?

Raide

I'm coming into Monster Hunter 4U with about 20 hours of MH3U under my belt and I can't express how much more satisfying it is to begin a Monster Hunter game with some foreknowledge. Hell yeah, I know how to cook a well-done steak. Hell yeah, I know what's up with those weird goats. I'm ready.

Fully agree. Not as terrifying going up against monsters and learning how things work, like combining etc, is much easier.

Still some new things to learn.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Has anyone ordered this from amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E94MQ7I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It looks like a nice carrying case to throw in a bag, but i'm very skeptical because of the listed shipping options. They each say that there is no tracking number and no "insurance" (whatever that means). Also it says that you should get it in 30-50 days.

I'm very much on the fence regarding a purchase. Any thoughts?

Doesn't work on him.

Seems the cats start talking more when you are in HR, does that depend on their level too? They hardly said anything when I was early in the game using them. Maybe their enthusiasm was too low, also, how do you feed these guys?

you have to feed them?!?

PKrockin

Press x to sort while the box is open. Works on your equipment box and item pouch too.

i seriously hope none of you guys do this

I still fear the day I accidentally hit X and resort my equipment box to the horrible default.

Page 1 and 2 for talismans because I get new ones constantly.

Page 3: Weapons. Columns 1 and 2: Greatswords. 3 and 4: Hammers. 5 and 6: Horns. 7 and 8: Lances. 9: Gunlances. 10: Other.

Page 4: Armor. Each set lined up in its own row. None of this grouping by hat, chest, arms, etc. garbage.

VandalD

Thanks for having me along, Kinsei. Pretty sure you did most of the work there. Think I spent most of the little bits of fighting time trying to get essence.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well all I know is this thing was making heaving noises, taking long pauses standing still while we just tore into it, attempting attacks it couldn't do anymore, starting a charge and falling over, and it still escaped the trap after I dropped 6 tranq bombs on it's face. I guess I just have to wait until it plays dead and set a pitfall under it. That seemed to be it's usual last move, but it didn't always get to it.

wiibomb

Has anyone ordered this from amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E94MQ7I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It looks like a nice carrying case to throw in a bag, but i'm very skeptical because of the listed shipping options. They each say that there is no tracking number and no "insurance" (whatever that means). Also it says that you should get it in 30-50 days.

I'm very much on the fence regarding a purchase. Any thoughts?

do you really need to carry the CPP? that is a kind of limitation since most cases/pouches don't take the CPP in mind

i seriously hope none of you guys do this

I still fear the day I accidentally hit X and resort my equipment box to the horrible default.

Page 1 and 2 for talismans because I get new ones constantly.

Page 3: Weapons. Columns 1 and 2: Greatswords. 3 and 4: Hammers. 5 and 6: Horns. 7 and 8: Lances. 9: Gunlances. 10: Other.

Page 4: Armor. Each set lined up in its own row. None of this grouping by hat, chest, arms, etc. garbage.

they should let set "sorting types". I use X every time I put my head in this mess and I find your method awesome, but, like you said, I would be afraid to make the mistake.

Raide

Dear Capcom and Nintendo.

Is it possible for use to have some new arrows? Tranquilizing arrows would be amazing but where are the sonic arrows or flashbang arrows? A few more power bows would also be great.

Thanks

Bow Users.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
do you really need to carry the CPP? that is a kind of limitation since most cases/pouches don't take the CPP in mind

I have the New monster hunter 3dsxl so I don't have the CPP, but i'm glad that the picture shows the CPP on the older model 3ds xl, so I know that my XL should fit

Well all I know is this thing was making heaving noises, taking long pauses standing still while we just tore into it, attempting attacks it couldn't do anymore, starting a charge and falling over, and it still escaped the trap after I dropped 6 tranq bombs on it's face. I guess I just have to wait until it plays dead and set a pitfall under it. That seemed to be it's usual last move, but it didn't always get to it.
You're confusing a monster running out of stamina with it being captureable. Gypceros playing dead is something it does at low HP but isn't necessarily the same as it being cappable. The two telltale signs are it limping away and it going to sleep.

If you want to know for sure, though, the armor skill Capture Guru will let you know via the paintball icon on the map flashing.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Funny, it walked right through the one I brought with me. That's probably why the starter bin gives you a pitfall trap instead.

Yeah, it shouldn't be working on him. He's made of a rubbery substance.

You know....now that you mention it. I always bring shock traps but both times i've gone to cap it I had decided to use the pitfall trap because it was the free one.

I guess in my mind I just jumbled it up lol.

Raide

Oh, I think "feeding your Palico" just means taking them out with you and giving them the meal boost.

I alternate between hunting with them, getting them to train and then resting. Most quests seem to advance 1 day, so I try and cycle my Palico chums as much as possible. Still wish I could swap out my main one sometimes.

R0ckman

You're confusing a monster running out of stamina with it being captureable. Gypceros playing dead is something it does at low HP but isn't necessarily the same as it being cappable. The two telltale signs are it limping away and it going to sleep.

If you want to know for sure, though, the armor skill Capture Guru will let you know via the paintball icon on the map flashing.

You can also bring a support cat. They tell you when it can be captured.

wiibomb

I have the New monster hunter 3dsxl so I don't have the CPP, but i'm glad that the picture shows the CPP on the older model 3ds xl, so I know that my XL should fit

I bough this and works perfectly:

nBzp7bk.jpg

(that's my n3DS)

and its also pretty cheap: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IFWSDAO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

another more expensive option is this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D84DRNC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've seen in person both and they are pretty good, the second one is very nice, but not that nice to justify the extra cost from the first one

Reknoc

Dear Capcom and Nintendo.

Is it possible for use to have some new arrows? Tranquilizing arrows would be amazing but where are the sonic arrows or flashbang arrows? A few more power bows would also be great.

Thanks

Bow Users.

Dear Bow Users,

We have read your complaint and decidced we'll be taking Bows out of the next mainline entry again.

Kind Regards,
Capcom

PKrockin

That means it's tired. It just needs to be low enough on health to cap. Limping and going to sleep are sure signs you can capture it. I was kind of baffled by that in 3U. It's a little counterintuitive. I don't think it's confirmed Gypceros is always ready for cap when it plays dead, either, it might just be when it's relatively low on health. Wait for the limp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom