• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
where the hell were you guys yesterday when I needed a party

smh

Helping my friends hit HR3 4 and 5 :p

I'd be down for azure rath farming in like 8 hours when I get home from work haha. But then again I need to hit HR6 first I think I've just been farming it in the village 9 solo.

can't help but feel that Bow got the short stick in this game regarding armor skills.
I just was noticing this last night :( This definitely sucks, I'm just hoping that there is a "right" combination that somehow I missed, though deep down I know that's not the case :(

Frankenarmor & gemming, here I come..

Mupod

A word about Bowgun stuff (credit here)

Here is how Normal shots work (damage wise):
LV1: 6
LV2: 12
LV3: 10

An advantage of level 3 is that it ricochets more than the others. In MH3U, this was a broken mechanism underwater because particles moved slower, causing it to do massive damage. Since there is no underwater in MH4, you'll almost always want the raw power of Normal 2 shots. It's also easier to find rapid fire/crouching fire guns with Normal 2.

Also, when you rapid fire, you're doing 70% damage per hit. So, assuming you land all three, you just let one round do 210% damage.

I generally stick to pierce 2 and normal 2 bowguns, but normal 3 is actually very useful on many monsters. It's got a longer range, you don't need all the ricochets to hit in order to match normal 2's damage, and I like it for breaking extra parts or getting more staggers. For example it feels like it's excellent at knocking Raths out of the air or fucking up Gore Magala's everything.

It's just that normal 2 ends up being more practical, for example my current HBG can hold a few more than it can with normal 3. If you're using siege mode and are expecting a big opening normal 2 is better for getting up close and blasting away at something's face. Also nicer if you're aiming for a smaller weak point like Zinogre's face, although I guess you could use pellet for that too. I should make a pellet set for whenever I manage to unlock Kirin.

PKrockin

I read that wrong at first and got scared Caedeus was in this game. That was one of the most dull fights ever. Luckily the music was great.
I thought the setpiece was pretty cool. You ain't in no kiddie pool in the backyard of the Moga Woods anymore, you're deep, deep in an enormous underground tunnel/cavern all alone except for your shaka friends whom you depend on for air. Although the fight was boring the atmosphere was good. Within the single player story context I really liked it. It falls apart and becomes a complete bore on subsequent playthroughs. I honestly might have preferred it if you could only play it once, but that's not really Monster Hunter.

ohlawd

to be fair you only need a couple kills of Azure Los for the complete set. I had trouble finding a lobby that fit two requirements; actually hunt an Azure Los, not freaking something else and no one triple carting

finished the set yesterday night so I'm good <_<

Razor Sharp is hella nice because the lances I have garbage white/blue sharpness and I can't upgrade further until G ;_;

Anyone know if, people who bought the LE MH4U edition n3dsxl get the free gore theme that capcom is giving to digital purchasers?

NM found out the answer is no, only eshop purchasers get the theme

ilium

I just was noticing this last night :( This definitely sucks, I'm just hoping that there is a "right" combination that somehow I missed, though deep down I know that's not the case :(

Frankenarmor & gemming, here I come..

yea..
i mean, i love mix & matching armor... for fashion! i spent countless hours playing fashion souls. but this was only possible because armor in those games just wasn't that important.

just a heads up tho, Zinogre U and Nargacuga X seem to be decent allround gunner sets.

Mupod

to be fair you only need a couple kills of Azure Los for the complete set.

I just heard a faint cry off in the distance, like someone just killed their 56th Rathalos and didn't find a ruby. By the way, you need two.
I got mine in 4 runs but still

ohlawd

I just heard a faint cry off in the distance, like someone just killed their 56th Rathalos and didn't find a ruby. By the way, you need two.
I got mine in 4 runs but still

yeah shit I forgot about the rubies lols

I was farming regular Los and got enough rubies before Azure

I generally stick to pierce 2 and normal 2 bowguns, but normal 3 is actually very useful on many monsters. It's got a longer range, you don't need all the ricochets to hit in order to match normal 2's damage, and I like it for breaking extra parts or getting more staggers. For example it feels like it's excellent at knocking Raths out of the air or fucking up Gore Magala's everything.

It's just that normal 2 ends up being more practical, for example my current HBG can hold a few more than it can with normal 3. If you're using siege mode and are expecting a big opening normal 2 is better for getting up close and blasting away at something's face. Also nicer if you're aiming for a smaller weak point like Zinogre's face, although I guess you could use pellet for that too. I should make a pellet set for whenever I manage to unlock Kirin.

Oh that's a great point about Raths in the air. I've shot down many-a-Rath from Normal 3's.
I just feel like there aren't many monsters that can be abused with the extra ricochet from Normal 3s, since it takes a certain kind of massive monster to get hit by all of it. Granted, I'm a LBG player and not a HBG player, so I tend to use Elemental Rapid Fire shots more... so a monster like Gravios I wouldn't even use Normal shots, just water.

Interestingly it was exactly the 20th S.Magala I'd killed too. I have enough mats to forge the armour set as well but damn that helm is silly looking.
Did you grind him in village or online? I don't see any hr village quests for him but I'm only at 8* there

ramyeon

Did you grind him in village or online? I don't see any hr village quests for him but I'm only at 8* there
Online, but in both cases the quest appears and disappears randomly. If you don't have it just do a steak quest run or something and then check again, rinse and repeat. Kind of frustrating.

Edit: Oh yeah the village one is LR. Guild quest is HR, he's the urgent between HR6 and 7.

Kinsei

Banned
If you're doing the same for HR2/3 I'd be in. The completionist in me wants to do them all, but some gathering/fishing quests can get pretty tedious alone. :D

I actually just came to see if anyone would be up for doing the HR2 quests in about an hour.

Anyone know which quest unlocks Ceadeus stuff? Once I craft its charge blade I'll have boss weapons of every element.

I'm pretty sure it's the HR7 quest "Advanced: Naked and Afraid". It's a dual Deviljho quest in the arena, and judging by the name I don't think you're allowed to wear armor.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
to be fair you only need a couple kills of Azure Los for the complete set. I had trouble finding a lobby that fit two requirements; actually hunt an Azure Los, not freaking something else and no one triple carting

finished the set yesterday night so I'm good <_<

Razor Sharp is hella nice because the lances I have garbage white/blue sharpness and I can't upgrade further until G ;_;

Yeah I just need the 2nd ruby and 2 more tails I think.

Rath soul set was my favorite high rank set in 3U, it's insanely versatile and works very well for nearly all weapon types. Particularly because of earplugs and razor sharp. It's easy to get stuff like crit draw even in low rank now which is weird so I feel like it sort of diminishes the value of rath soul a bit, but the expert +3 is just so versatile.

The set was my "I want to learn a new weapon" set in 3U because its bonuses worked for so many weapon types. They worked with SnS, DB, both lances, switch axes, and even hammer.

I'm thinking since I've been using the seregios GS the razor sharp is very valuable to me and I have a sheathing +5 talisman I'll just gem in quick sheath and that'll be that, I can use the expert +3 as a ghetto crit draw lol.

la_briola

That can't be right since Ceadeus parts were in regular MH4.

16:29 < MuchiMuchiPink> caedus x
16:29 < MuchiMuchiPink> This can be made once you get to G3 and works with just about every weapon so it&#8217;s become a favorite. Note you need to beat Shagaru to unlock Caedus trade parts.
16:30 < MuchiMuchiPink> he doesn't mention though whether this is the regular one you met in SP or the G3 one. So I'm not quite sure about this.

I think he has it from gaijinhunter.

tuffy

I'm pretty sure just a single normal 3 ricochet is needed to match a normal 2 shot's damage, and normal 3 has a longer effective range. For fairly big monsters with good ricochet zones (like under Rathian's wings) it can be a big help.

But unless there's someplace to buy popfish in bulk like before, it's not a shot that can be relied on full-time though.

R0ckman

Never thought I'd get so attached to my Palicos, was fighting S. Zinogre and he pinned Ace and started eating him. Lost my damn mind, ran over and furiously bashed his skull in until his face broke and he screamed in sheer pain, my Palico jumped up and ran out from his grasp. Leave my cat alone!

Yeah I just need the 2nd ruby and 2 more tails I think.

Rath soul set was my favorite high rank set in 3U, it's insanely versatile and works very well for nearly all weapon types. Particularly because of earplugs and razor sharp. It's easy to get stuff like crit draw even in low rank now which is weird so I feel like it sort of diminishes the value of rath soul a bit, but the expert +3 is just so versatile.

The set was my "I want to learn a new weapon" set in 3U because its bonuses worked for so many weapon types. They worked with SnS, DB, both lances, switch axes, and even hammer.

I'm thinking since I've been using the seregios GS the razor sharp is very valuable to me and I have a sheathing +5 talisman I'll just gem in quick sheath and that'll be that, I can use the expert +3 as a ghetto crit draw lol.

Man, that armor set is just amazingly good still (carrying over from MH3U). It's an incredibly bowgun set too, giving Normal Up, Expert+2 and Earplugs. I need to grind up HR to get to Azure Los.

I usually don't play past HR in most MH games, but I'm really into skills much more than I was in the past. I feel the compulsion to make armors for various situations and playstyles.

Pila

Never thought I'd get so attached to my Palicos, was fighting S. Zinogre and he pinned Ace and started eating him. Lost my damn mind, ran over and furiously bashed his skull in until his face broke and he screamed in sheer pain, my Palico jumped up and ran out from his grasp. Leave my cat alone!

Yesterday some monster (Los maybe) was chewing my palico and I was like: "Great, eat the fella, I'll focus on your tail". I've hunted monsters too much, I'm turning into one of them.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wellllll... since my armor was already AttackUp S I went ahead and boosted that to M and also used an attack palico that blows the True Demon Horn. That allowed me to take down a Kecha and Basarios and still have 15 Normal S, 69 Pellet1, 43 Pellet2, and 43 Pierce1 left. I didn't even get into my Thunder or Sleep shots. This is working out to a good balance if I eat for Defense M and Defender (Hi). That Basarios in particular went down way faster than I could manage with my ever-dulling blade. I got 2 guild quests for him, too, so I can farm a bit.

I also decided to ditch speed setup to make my psychic and stun resistance 100%. Flash at me, Gypceros.

Salaadin

I knocked over Brachy yesterday and was right at the 3rd flash on a full charge GS swing when a Rhenpolos decided to charge into me. Needless to say, I re focused all my attention on that Rhenopolos. Wtf was he thinking?

Mupod

I'm pretty sure just a single normal 3 ricochet is needed to match a normal 2 shot's damage, and normal 3 has a longer effective range. For fairly big monsters with good ricochet zones (like under Rathian's wings) it can be a big help.

But unless there's someplace to buy popfish in bulk like before, it's not a shot that can be relied on full-time though.

Yup. I ran into that problem the other day and realized I only had a handful of popfish around. Lots of scatterfish these days though, it's all my cats haul in.

I switch to it situationally with normal 2 as my primary shot and that works great. My one true love is pierce HBG though, looking into those next. Gravios looks like it'd work but I'm closing in on Kushala Daora in the caravan quests.

R0ckman

Does anyone know where defense Palicos spawn a majority of the time? One of the cats told me that certain forte' like to hang out on specific maps but did not give a full breakdown, just gave me like one or two examples.

Edit: Actually found out how to explain my, "monster magnetized attack" thing. You know how when you do an attack or combo, you are basically locked in and committed to the direction you are moving when you attack? Well it seems when monsters do combo moves they actually do not have this limitation, and have a more reliable "Lock on" or "magnetism". Let's say a dragon lunges at you, you dodge and they miss, immediately after that miss they can swiftly reposition and fire ball you as if they were anticipating you dodging in that very spot. Same when I was fighting Zinogre, if I dodged one of his attacks, he was able to lock his second part of the combo on to my position after the dodge. Granted once you learn all this it's easy to anticipate and deal with, but to me it just doesn't really make sense why the monsters get this ability. I don't recall them having it in MH3U.

Netto-kun

Anyone know which quest unlocks Ceadeus stuff? Once I craft its charge blade I'll have boss weapons of every element.
I believe it's a HR7 quest where you also have to reach HR100 for the quest to appear.

Fight TWO Deviljhos NAKED in the ARENA.

No, I still haven't unlocked it in 4G even though I really want the Ceafeus CB.

Edit: Beaten like a naked hunter against Dalamadur.

Online, but in both cases the quest appears and disappears randomly. If you don't have it just do a steak quest run or something and then check again, rinse and repeat. Kind of frustrating.

Edit: Oh yeah the village one is LR. Guild quest is HR, he's the urgent between HR6 and 7.
Well if that's the case does anyone wanna help me farm shaguru online lol

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Decided to focus on the Insect Glaive for a bit...I don't really understand the whole "Essence Deal", but I love having a cool bug partner to attack with.

Finally getting around to doing the urgent gore quest at 3 stars.
I got him pretty good damaged but was forced to end via subquest after he kept trapping me in corners.

Any good tips for him? Typically i do a kind of bull fight thing where I stand in a place, shoot with light bowgun, and take off as they charge. I know i'm supposed to hit the feelers, but are there other places with a lot of damage? Maybe something I can give the kitties to help them along too?

R0ckman

Finally getting around to doing the urgent gore quest at 3 stars.
I got him pretty good damaged but was forced to end via subquest after he kept trapping me in corners.

Any good tips for him? Typically i do a kind of bull fight thing where I stand in a place, shoot with light bowgun, and take off as they charge. I know i'm supposed to hit the feelers, but are there other places with a lot of damage? Maybe something I can give the kitties to help them along too?

Trap him when he goes into demon mode. Then bash his head in, two traps or a mount and trap while in demon mode should knock him out of it if you use the time to attack his feelers.

mr.rager

Desire sensor is back with a vengeance. Need a Seregios Dissenter to upgrade my hammer and I haven't got a single one. At least I can make both of his armor sets...

PKrockin

I knocked over Brachy yesterday and was right at the 3rd flash on a full charge GS swing when a Rhenpolos decided to charge into me. Needless to say, I re focused all my attention on that Rhenopolos. Wtf was he thinking?
I almost carted to Gypceros just now because a Genprey jumped on me from behind and paralyzed me right as Gypceros started to play dead.

Genprey are just as annoying as Rhenopelos IMO. Much worse when you're just trying to mine some ores and they relentlessly attack you every two seconds, respawning the instant you kill them.

With dual blades in MH3, aside from slime procs I was always a little bummed I couldn't stun or knock over monsters as often as others in my party.

That's changed with Felyne and Melynx in 4U. I inflict paralysis 3+ times per fight on average. You just have to be super aggressive with the demon mode attack.

S. Magala plates can get right hosed.

3% drops on an advanced low rank quest you can't repeat all the time because it might not come up randomly really sucks. Not hard by any stretch but I want the next level of Magala CB. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom