• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any armor recommendations for a dual blade user, currently in 5* Caravan? I'm still in my Tetsucabra set. It seems like all of the good stamina and sharpness sets come way later from where I'm at now...

Can a Great Sword break Monblos horn? I can't remember if they could break horns or not.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but quite literally, with any weapon, if you can reach it, you can break it, with the exception of blunt weapons/ranged weapons (besides slice shots) not being able to cut off tails.

Kinsei

Banned
Thanks for the quest Netto-Kun! I was Elise.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but quite literally, with any weapon, if you can reach it, you can break it, with the exception of blunt weapons/ranged weapons (besides slice shots) not being able to cut off tails.

You can;t smash Hermitaur's shell with anything other than a blunt weapon (Assuming it's the same as MHFU).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Got to HR2. Nerscylla freaking SUCKS for a gunner. I wiped those things so fast for fun with longsword, but here I fainted twice. All that moving around is no good on uneven terrain with shitty reticle controls (which you have to use because scope mode is waaay too vulnerable) Plus it's so hard to capitalize on the opportunity after you get a mount. Should you just carry bombs for that and get them ready before you mount?

Raide

Got to HR2. Nerscylla freaking SUCKS for a gunner. I wiped those things so fast for fun with longsword, but here I fainted twice. All that moving around is no good on uneven terrain with shitty reticle controls (which you have to use because scope mode is waaay too vulnerable) Plus it's so hard to capitalize on the opportunity after you get a mount. Should you just carry bombs for that and get them ready before you mount?

Yeah, the increase of variable terrain heights really makes shooting a pain in the ass sometimes. Wasting precious ammo! Even as a Bow user, missing important flinch shots really sucks. I really wish there was a slight touch of auto aiming for some terrain mitigation.

Coming from the PSP games and playing MH4U solo until the 9* quests, I just tried the online mode for the first time. Immediately found two players who made this an amazing experience, we all got from HR1 to nearly HR3 in no time!

Only text chat und especially such a shitty implementation is a bummer though. Why didn't they make some fix quick and automatic answers and localize them? On the other hand, I learned how to say "Mounted it!" in Spanish and Italian. :p And manual chat in gathering hall only is a bad idea, too. How possible is a patch for things like this?

I'm really looking forward to play with you, too!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I played with a dude in green armor with a long sword named Leo.

His mount shout was Cowabunga.

I added him to my friends list after.

tuffy

Yeah, the increase of variable terrain heights really makes shooting a pain in the ass sometimes. Wasting precious ammo! Even as a Bow user, missing important flinch shots really sucks. I really wish there was a slight touch of auto aiming for some terrain mitigation.
Variable terrain is why I updated my camera controls to adjust for height when hitting the lock-on trigger and to point my gun in the direction of the camera when going into the 1st person scope. Though I still need to fine-tune my aim to hit weak spots, at least I'm facing the monster reliably.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah. Ledges are fine, but when there is just a slight incline and that results in you shooting the ground.... -_____-
And that is all the webbed level Nerscylla wants to fight in... -_____-
And even when you're aware and make sure to get the shots lined up, it's just too slow for how much it moves around.... -_____-

I think I'm definitely taking a liking to the idea of keeping up my skills with multiple weapons. Just in general with the way the gunner armor is around half that of blademaster armor, it feels like it is really intended as a support role with others, not a solo thing. I mean there is no reasonable way to keep at a distance with Nerscylla and the pellet shot wasn't hitting hard enough. It took soooo long to die.

bobohoro

If you want to do all of the HR2 quests come and join!

07-4303-6439-8459
Password: 8825

Aww, missed it. Sorry had work to do.

Oh and just discovered that Nescylla armour is even more awesome than I initially thought. The colour option changes the whole thing, you can even run around as an, arguably very ugly, multicoloured Gundam!

How do I find/craft new talismans? Kiranico fails me on this one...

Talismans are everywhere (seriously, I'm drowning in those things), they come from mining and quest rewards. You can craft new ones in the 4th story village.

Mupod

if monsters only kick off a mounted person when staggered, I wonder if you could get away with firing off some status bowgun shots. I know those do a small amount of damage, but you could intentionally target a part that likely won't break. I'm not planning on trying it out with randoms but it would be worth testing I think.

mjc

Good god, this Gravios quest in the 5 star is the most insufferable thing ever. Whoever thought of giving monsters near invulnerability needs to be taken to an asylum. I've spent about a half hour trying to kill him with a bow since my charge blade didn't work well....still ticking. Bows suck.

jorgejjvr

Good god, this Gravios quest in the 5 star is the most insufferable thing ever. Whoever thought of giving monsters near invulnerability needs to be taken to an asylum. I've spent about a half hour trying to kill him with a bow since my charge blade didn't work well....still ticking. Bows suck.

How is he invulnerable?

mjc

How is he invulnerable?

So far as I can tell, the only way to hit him is in the belly or the tail. Doesn't help that aiming with bows is all jazzed up. Focus aiming should be swapped to the left circle pad when you're aiming, you're stationary anyways.

Edit: I'm sure bows are fine. But you have to fight controls half the time to make it work IMO.

Mupod

Gravios is a tank but he''s got a bit of a glass jaw. If you break his chest open it exposes the soft squishy bits. When I'm impatient I typically bring a bunch of bombs and a pitfall trap to get it broken right away and speed up the fight. Also he's comparatively weak to poison.

He really is a lot easier with ranged weapons though. Kind of disappointing how little he's changed since 2nd gen, even with proper hitboxes he's almost as annoying to melee since he has that backup beam. Or maybe that's just black gravios' thing. It sucks.

getting kinda stuck with analysis paralysis. I just have HR Velociprey and Poison SNS. I don't know what armor to get at Caravan 8, or just keep with velociprey until G rank armor.

but even at G rank I'm still undecided on what to do with SNS.

R0ckman

So far as I can tell, the only way to hit him is in the belly or the tail. Doesn't help that aiming with bows is all jazzed up. Focus aiming should be swapped to the left circle pad when you're aiming, you're stationary anyways.

Edit: I'm sure bows are fine. But you have to fight controls half the time to make it work IMO.

His back is also a weakness.

tuffy

Isn't there a good pierce bow available or something?

I just grabbed whatever HBG I had with pierce clips and brought him down in about 12 minutes on my first go. Would surely do better with a weapon that didn't need reloading every third shot, but it was good enough at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom