• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilium

All of it's bleed attacks have to hit you three times to inflict the status ailment. Roll as soon as you get hit with a scale to avoid the other two hits. If you can't get the timing down then just fight it close to an area exit.

That's what I do, rolling away as soon as a scale hits me but there's a short stun, so it doesn't work most of the time.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I bough this and works perfectly:

(that's my n3DS)

and its also pretty cheap: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IFWSDAO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

another more expensive option is this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D84DRNC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've seen in person both and they are pretty good, the second one is very nice, but not that nice to justify the extra cost from the first one

I've been thinking about that case as well, the only thing that bothers me is I wonder if I will get tired of looking at the outside of it after a while cause there's a lot going on on it. Silly, but still a factor. It's in my wishlist tho, thanks!

ChrisD

So, I always assumed Pellet shots were kinda worthless and really only used for small monsters. I'm seeing a lot of love for it here now, though. What are the benefits of it? I feel like it would be a terrible idea online since you'll be tripping up your teammates.

Pellet is awesome for breaking parts and against big monsters in general. But you're correct in your assumption that Blademasters will hate you for it. Really more of a solo thing.

I dont care if the Insect Glaive is a noob weapon, the thing just works incredibly well. The mounting, insect making you stronger and some great combos. I can't get enough of them!

R0ckman

That Gore Magala is high rank. Yeah, you probably want to make a better armor set.

Seregios? That's one of the most fun fights in the game IMO.

Had a blast with him, he wasn't so hard from what I remember, got caught in a spam and got carted once, but other than that he was all around easy.

I dont care if the Insect Glaive is a noob weapon, the thing just works incredibly well. The mounting, insect making you stronger and some great combos. I can't get enough of them!

People are calling it a noob weapon? Why? It's an interesting weapon.

Pretty backwards advice in my opinion. You should be learning monsters in single player to not be a burden on your team in multi player, not relying on your team to carry you through it.

You can get experience from both though. And both ranks have different progression in terms of what monsters you go up against. I don't mind carrying someone as long as they don't triple cart every time. They will learn over time.

Also, I don't think many people learn monsters down to a tee before heading online. Many probably just play as they go since it's more fun to experience things with a group.

If you're worried about carrying people I'm pretty sure there is a lobby option to advertise that you don't want people who aren't good. Failing that you still have the kick option if their performance doesn't meet your standards.

Thinking it over more it might just be better to find others who are good and create a private room for the best clear times, since you can't really tell if a random person is good or not until you see them in action, which could mean time spent on a hunt being lost due to something you couldn't predict before hand.

Like I said before the only thing I'll mind is if someone triple carts repeatedly, since in that case everyone is getting penalized for one person's failure when they should probably train in single player. Someone's offense not being optimized is something I can live with if at least 2 people on the team are getting good hits in.

wiibomb

I've been thinking about that case as well, the only thing that bothers me is I wonder if I will get tired of looking at the outside of it after a while cause there's a lot going on on it. Silly, but still a factor. It's in my wishlist tho, thanks!

there's also the other side where there are the 10 games released in the 10 years of the franchise history, if you get tired of one side, just flip it to check the other one :)

and seriously, I've been looking at the pouch non stop since I have it, I truly like what they did with every flagship monster

R0ckman

Because the general public consider it easy to use and overpowered.

Honestly things like the GS are easy to use too if you know when and when not to use the attacks. How is the game going to get more popular in the west if people want it to be frustrating for new player as soon as they pick it up?

Shiina

You can get experience from both though. And both ranks have different progression in terms of what monsters you go up against. I don't mind carrying someone as long as they don't triple cart every time. They will learn over time.

Also, I don't think many people learn monsters down to a tee before heading online. Many probably just play as they go since it's more fun to experience things with a group.

If you're worried about carrying people I'm pretty sure there is a lobby option to advertise that you don't want people who aren't good. Failing that you still have the kick option if their performance doesn't meet your standards.

Thinking it over more it might just be better to find others who are good and create a private room for the best clear times, since you can't really tell if a random person is good or not until you see them in action, which could mean time spent on a hunt being lost due to something you couldn't predict before hand.

Like I said before the only thing I'll mind is if someone triple carts repeatedly, since in that case everyone is getting penalized for one person's failure when they should probably train in single player. Someone's offense not being optimized is something I can live with if at least 2 people on the team are getting good hits in.

I didn't want to come off as elitist or anything but I was applying my own feelings towards common online courtesies to other people. I would absolutely hate it if I was the one dragging down the team so I was thinking that people should at the very least kill a monster in village before they attempt to kill it with others online. For those that exist in village anyway.

Because the general public consider it easy to use and overpowered.

Easy to use is probably not that far off but you're not going to get SnS/GS/HBG times with Insect Glaives.

Valus

Honestly things like the GS are easy to use too if you know when and when not to use the attacks. How is the game going to get more popular in the west if people want it to be frustrating for new player as soon as they pick it up?

I agree. It's also stupid to get mad at what other people are using in a co-op only game. As long as they are performing well enough it shouldn't matter, but life just isn't that simple for some people. They like to feel superior to other players by using the less popular or more skill based weapons, and don't hesitate to point out their superiority to you.

You weren't kidding. Though that was my first time ever fighting it.

Haha yeah, it was my first time too. Awesome looking boss (and great intro cutscene) but just really easy. I'm hoping the subspecies will provide more challenge.

Kinsei

Banned
I agree. It's also stupid to get mad at what other people are using in a co-op only game. As long as they are performing well enough it shouldn't matter, but life just isn't that simple for some people. They like to feel superior to other players by using the less popular or more skill based weapons, and don't hesitate to point out their superiority to you.

Haha yeah, it was my first time too. Awesome looking boss (and great intro cutscene) but just really easy. I'm hoping the subspecies will provide more challenge.

Oroshi Kirin is even easier than regular Kirin.

Good god, this Gravios quest in the 5 star is the most insufferable thing ever. Whoever thought of giving monsters near invulnerability needs to be taken to an asylum. I've spent about a half hour trying to kill him with a bow since my charge blade didn't work well....still ticking. Bows suck.

lol, he's easy as heck!

Here's what you do ...
Use IG.

That's it. Just bug and mount. Seems that the bug doesn't care about monster def, it hits regardless. Once you get that white and red you mount it and go ham.

Thought him and the other rock monster were pushovers until I used a hammer/ CB and realized "this shit isn't gonna work too well ..".

Leezard

Good god, this Gravios quest in the 5 star is the most insufferable thing ever. Whoever thought of giving monsters near invulnerability needs to be taken to an asylum. I've spent about a half hour trying to kill him with a bow since my charge blade didn't work well....still ticking. Bows suck.

Use a Ludroth LBG, it can rapidfire Water shots. Really fast and easy with that setup.

PKrockin

Sheesh, that sure is a lot of straw men and passive aggressiveness. I agree with him that if you're having trouble with a monster the problem is probably not your armor or weapon unless you're getting one-shotted, it's your skill.

From my own experience I have a really hard time believing anyone is learning much with 4 players wailing on a monster chaotically, stunlocking it, and spreading the its damage and attention among 4 players. When it's just me vs. monster it's much easier to focus and learn its patterns.

When I go online, it's generally either to have that different multiplayer Monster Hunter experience hunting whatever for fun, or helping newer players rank up, or it's for farming a monster I think is kind of annoying to fight (recently Khezu). I don't care very much if the other players aren't pulling as much weight as me when I just want some materials as long as they don't triple cart because I can kill the monster myself. Any damage they do is helping me get the materials faster.

All I'm saying is if you're having trouble with a monster now and want to take the shortcut around straight up mastering its attack patterns and having a good strategy, you're only going to hit a bigger roadblock later when you come upon the more dangerous subspecies or quest variant. No need to assume anyone who thinks that is some elitist douchebag speedrunner.

Use a Ludroth LBG, it can rapidfire Water shots. Really fast and easy with that setup.

Seconded. It's what I did against Gravios and my first kill time was less than 8 minutes, and I still had 25 rounds of Water S left. Just make sure once you break whatever part you need break, to stop attacking it and start attacking his legs or belly, as those are the most weak.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I do feel like I cheated Gravios by switching to a LBG, but was I really going to become a better GS user for it? He moves so slow, it's just infinite bounce. If anything, I learned the lesson of using the right tool for the job.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I do feel like I cheated Gravios by switching to a LBG, but was I really going to become a better GS user for it? He moves so slow, it's just infinite bounce. If anything, I learned the lesson of using the right tool for the job.

Gravios is really easy with a greatsword though,

Level 3 charges won't bounce ever and you can easily charge attack his belly while under him / hit legs.

He has so many openings.

Hey guys, quick question. I've done all the Caravan Low Rank 6 star quests, but I have a silver star instead of a gold one, and I know there's more in there, I need elder dragon bones. How the hell do I unlock the ability to fight the Teostra?

I'm using charge blade and it just seems like it would be better. I say this having never touched SnS but only Charge Blade's SnS.
That's like rating the switch axe base on the charge axe...

SnS is about being super nimble and throwing items like its no ones business. Charge Blade is just a flashy imitation that lacks any of the SnS's capabilities. Totally different weapons really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom