• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Charge blade has been my weapon of choice for the 25 hours or so that I've played, so switching to the bow has been interesting. I'm not really a fan, I prefer to go right in. This is my first MH so I'm sure vets will have more seasoned viewpoints...but I think they're bad. (Which could be a bad opinion haha)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Charge blade has been my weapon of choice for the 25 hours or so that I've played, so switching to the bow has been interesting. I'm not really a fan, I prefer to go right in. This is my first MH so I'm sure vets will have more seasoned viewpoints...but I think they're bad. (Which could be a bad opinion haha)

Here ya go xD This might help you understand them a bit better. The main issue I have with them is the fact the attacks they do is based on the bow you are using.

Watch how he aims with it too towards the end of the video. He doesn't use a second analog as far as I know as well.

R0ckman

Is there a kinsect guide anywhere? I hear people saying speed is the best but..eh.. I'm finding the stamina bug pretty useful.

tuffy

I had to add a surprise question mark to my automatic mounting phrase ("I mounted it?!") simply because the odds of me actually winding up on a monster's back are remote.

Eteric Rice

So, what are the mandatory sets in this game? Like the sets you get to make the game a bit less stressful. Anyone have suggestions?

And I've heard that Hammer kind of sucks in this one, Is this true?

How can I avoid being blinded/stunned by Gypceros' stupid flashlight head? So sick of that. Breaking line of sight doesn't work. The only thing is being far enough away, which isn't always an option.

That and I also hate Khezu who can stun lock you with his dumb lightning attack and then cart you in 5 seconds flat. Khezu is the first monster I haven't been able to beat the first time through. Thankfully, I'm not the only one.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
How can I avoid being blinded/stunned by Gypceros' stupid flashlight head? So sick of that. Breaking line of sight doesn't work. The only thing is being far enough away, which isn't always an option.

That and I also hate Khezu who can stun lock you with his dumb lightning attack and then cart you in 5 seconds flat. Khezu is the first monster I haven't been able to beat the first time through. Thankfully, I'm not the only one.

Hit that jerk in the face.

Block it, roll through it, or dive through it.
Coward options!
Smarter options :D

Kinsei

Banned

Block it, roll through it, or dive through it.

NewGame

Banned
well, the highest rarity set with pellet up is Seltas Z which comes with:

Crag S+ +15
Pellet Up +10
Destroyer +10
Sheathing +6
Artillery +5
Precision -12

crag s+. totally useless.
destroyer. totally useless, because if i'm using scatter bows i am not trying to break parts ffs!
sheathing. kind of useless, because bow is mobile and you don't really sheath that often.
artillery. useless.

the whole armor system is just a big clusterfuck of nonsense.

Have you heard of Athena's Armour Set Search?

Beat Shagaru Magala in village today :D Alllmost triple carted. Rushed in to many times, and Shagaru punished me for that. Still using the Kaiser Blade and a Kut-ku/Velociprey combo armor with attack gems to get Attack Up L. I want the Gore CB but I need 2 feelers and I don't feel like farming Gore. I still need to do the Gore Magala urgent online though, so hopefully I'll get some feelers soon so I can forge a new CB.

Have to finish up some village quests I skipped, then it's on to the Daimyo Hermitaur :D

So, what are the mandatory sets in this game? Like the sets you get to make the game a bit less stressful. Anyone have suggestions?

And I've heard that Hammer kind of sucks in this one, Is this true?
None, really. But the basic of basic is to get jaggi armor, then tetsucabra armor, then HR tetsucabra armor

Daimyo Hermataur seems like a good point to start in HR. All of his stuff seems to only require materials that he and the small ones drop so it shouldn't be a pain to farm.

But I'm only going for that Nargacuga armor for now.

Is there a later version of it that has more defense/skills?

Hit my first wall in single player.

Can't seem to beat the 6* Gore Magala quest, "Crazy Stupid Love".

I guess I should just craft something to give me more defense. Still using Rare 3 gear for my gunlance and bow set.

I get one shotted while I'm using the bow. It was fun at first but now I just want to get through this quest.

ilium

You need to finish the story (urgent to get into 10*) to get all of the wystones.

uughh...

I guess I should just craft something to give me more defense. Still using Rare 3 gear for my gunlance and bow set.

I get one shotted while I'm using the bow. It was fun at first but now I just want to get through this quest.

same for me, but at the 8* urgent. that fight is just no fun whatsoever and makes me want to quit. you know, the bosses in the souls games were always the least fun for me, but the story/lore kept me going. MH is just one huge boss gallery. it's a blast with others, but a chore alone. for me at least.

Have you heard of Athena's Armour Set Search?

yes, but i haven't tested it yet. i'm using ping's dex atm. no idea if athenas a.s.s. is better.

Kinsei

Banned

That Gore Magala is high rank. Yeah, you probably want to make a better armor set.

uughh...

same for me, but at the 8* urgent. that fight is just no fun whatsoever.

Seregios? That's one of the most fun fights in the game IMO.

When you hit a wall in single player you should just hop online and make progress that way. Get some better armor from farming online stuff then use that to have an easier time at beating single player stuff.

That's what I'm doing now at least.

ChrisD

Am I just a poor player trying to pin blame on anything but myself, or do Palicoes seem to be the leading cause of infinite combos? Going back and forth on whether or not I should drop this stupid Felyne, or keep it for the once-in-a-day helpful distraction that allows for Whetstone use.

I ask because friggin' Pink Rathian pinned me against a wall while enraged, then charged into it again as my Palico was above said wall, THEN charged into it again to kill me. On that note, I hate small areas -- Give me Dunes every day.

Shiina

When you hit a wall in single player you should just hop online and make progress that way. Get some better armor from farming online stuff then use that to have an easier time at beating single player stuff.

That's what I'm doing now at least.

Pretty backwards advice in my opinion. You should be learning monsters in single player to not be a burden on your team in multi player, not relying on your team to carry you through it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8bwefJXR0I

The brachy portion of this gore magala brachy combo orchestra theme is fucking awesome.

Also that gore magala picture is top notch.

39292840_m.png

Am I just a poor player trying to pin blame on anything but myself, or do Palicoes seem to be the leading cause of infinite combos? Going back and forth on whether or not I should drop this stupid Felyne, or keep it for the once-in-a-day helpful distraction that allows for Whetstone use.

I ask because friggin' Pink Rathian pinned me against a wall while enraged, then charged into it again as my Palico was above said wall, THEN charged into it again to kill me. On that note, I hate small areas -- Give me Dunes every day.
Are you pressing anything when getting knocked down to get back up immediately?

Don't press anything to do a delayed wake-up, helps prevent getting hit again.

Kinsei

Banned

Palicoes suck. Once I get 10 to level 20 and my ace to level 30 for the guild card awards the furballs will never join me on a quest again.

ilium

Seregios? That's one of the most fun fights in the game IMO.

no it's not! :<

i get bleed status...wait for him to attack my palico so i can eat meat...he rushes me and stunlocks me to death or gives me bleed again. he's all over the place and all i can do is roll evade, which, suprise suprise, is terrible for bow because you can't charge attack anymore.

guess i better take a break for today, because i'm really salty right now :\

ChrisD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8bwefJXR0I

The brachy portion of this gore magala brachy combo orchestra theme is fucking awesome.

Also that gore magala picture is top notch.

39292840_m.png

We posting up sweet MonHun music? Brachydios Swing is mandatory.

Palicoes suck. Once I get 10 to level 20 and my ace to level 30 for the guild card awards the furballs will never join me on a quest again.

...Ten to level twenty? Oh jeez. I was hoping there was just an award for the Ace. At least I know it's not just me being beyond salty.

Are you pressing anything when getting knocked down to get back up immediately?

Don't press anything to do a delayed wake-up, helps prevent getting hit again.

Don't mind me, just someone with 500+ hours who has not once thought to do this. How the frick. THANK YOU for this reminder.

Kinsei

Banned
no it's not! :<

i get bleed status...wait for him to attack my palico so i can eat meat...he rushes me and stunlocks me to death or gives me bleed again. he's all over the place and all i can do is roll evade, which, suprise suprise, is terrible for bow because you can't charge attack anymore.

guess i better take a break for today, because i'm really salty right now :\

All of it's bleed attacks have to hit you three times to inflict the status ailment. Roll as soon as you get hit with a scale to avoid the other two hits. If you can't get the timing down then just fight it close to an area exit.

So, I always assumed Pellet shots were kinda worthless and really only used for small monsters. I'm seeing a lot of love for it here now, though. What are the benefits of it? I feel like it would be a terrible idea online since you'll be tripping up your teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom