• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sane_Man

I'm trying to make the Tetsucabra S armor and I need Rheno Carapaces to finish the set. You need to carve high rank Rhenoplos for them. Problem is, I can't seem to find any Rhenoplos in any of the high rank missions I have. I've looked in S. Hollow, Dunes and P. Forest and there's none to be found!

Do I need to unlock more missions to find them?

Seil

I'm using charge blade and it just seems like it would be better. I say this having never touched SnS but only Charge Blade's SnS.

Actual SnS is an extremely fast attacking, but low power weapon. You can use items without sheathing. You can dodge out of any attack in your combo. And it's great at dishing out elemental and status damage.

Both weapons let you stick to the monster when played at a high level, but SnS allows a different playstyle. SnS lets you use bombs or other utilities as though they're part of your actual attacks. It also allows you to do a jumping attack up small ledges, so it works in both directions for mounting.

They're both effective weapons but played differently, outside of the fact sticking close is core to high level play.

Kinsei

Banned
Hey guys, quick question. I've done all the Caravan Low Rank 6 star quests, but I have a silver star instead of a gold one, and I know there's more in there, I need elder dragon bones. How the hell do I unlock the ability to fight the Teostra?

You need to reach HR7 to unlock the caravan 6* Teostra quest.

PKrockin

I'm trying to make the Tetsucabra S armor and I need Rheno Carapaces to finish the set. You need to carve high rank Rhenoplos for them. Problem is, I can't seem to find any Rhenoplos in any of the high rank missions I have. I've looked in S. Hollow, Dunes and P. Forest and there's none to be found!

Do I need to unlock more missions to find them?
I just did the Purple Gypceros HR caravan quest and I believe there were some at the area that's at the very bottom of the map with all the ores, where monsters go to sleep. The very bottom right of the map. I forget which number area it is.

PKrockin

Actual SnS is an extremely fast attacking, but low power weapon. You can use items without sheathing. You can dodge out of any attack in your combo. And it's great at dishing out elemental and status damage.

Both weapons let you stick to the monster when played at a high level, but SnS allows a different playstyle. SnS lets you use bombs or other utilities as though they're part of your actual attacks. It also allows you to do a jumping attack up small ledges, so it works in both directions for mounting.

They're both effective weapons but played differently, outside of the fact sticking close is core to high level play.
One of these days I need to learn Sword and Shield make some kind of crazy Speed Eating, Wide Range, Bomb Boost, etc. set and play around with that. It sounds like fun. I just don't like the idea of tickling the monster's toes the whole time. That range :(

Sane_Man

I just did the Purple Gypceros HR caravan quest and I believe there were some at the area that's at the very bottom of the map with all the ores, where monsters go to sleep. The very bottom right of the map. I forget which number area it is.

Right on. Cheers.

LProtag

Is Poise a good SnS? I was playing with some people online and it turns out I can make it. I was thinking about trying SnS out, worth a shot with this or is it only good against stuff weak against water?

Is there a video on how to use the sword and shield in MH4U? I keep hearing it's been improved a lot since the previous games. I'd like to learn how to use it better.

Seil

Right on. Cheers.

You could also do the blue yian kut-ku quest I believe it is, to unlock the sunken hollow harvest tour which has rhenoplos in area 8. Which I wish I'd known about when I made my tetsu set lol.

The NPC in Dundorma that gives you that quest will give you a number of quests that unlock HR harvest tours and are pretty easy.

Sometimes it can be fun repeating a stage a few times. That 7* Kecha Wacha x2 quest is easy but was having much fun wrecking them while collecting some + items and Hercudromes to upgrade the Ravager-line GS I've been using. I also enjoy seeking out terrain opportunities to drop on monsters with the GS (as opposed to relying on IG jump). So satisfying looking down from a tower mid-stage, targeting and successfully pounding something into the ground with a devastating GS.

Infinite

I guess I should use the A attacks more with the SnS.

Yep.
Yeah. The X, X, X... combo is really bad. It messes up your footing and spacing and can stumble other hunters. What you wanna do is start a combo with R+X instead of just X and then do X, A, A as your combo. The R+ X starter also has the benefit of option selecting to give you a guard if a monster hits you before the attack animates and hitting pretty high.

Mr. Fix

Doing the solo caravan stuff will unlock all your farming/fish equivalents in this game. Since you just hit high, start stomping on some Great Jaggis and wear them as armor. It's actually a really good place to start as a blademaster.

1. The Wyporium--the trader--will take an item you have and multiply it.

2. Wyporium upgrades, cooking upgrades, caravan quest-exclusive monsters.

3. I just got to High Rank and I'm using Hermitaur armor. It has Guard +1 and Defense Up Small. I gemmed out the Thunder Resistance -1 and gemmed up to Guard +2 and Half Stun with a talisman.

Thanks for this!

Beats

Yeah. The X, X, X... combo is really bad. It messes up your footing and spacing and can stumble other hunters. What you wanna do is start a combo with R+X instead of just X and then do X, A, A as your combo. The R+ X starter also has the benefit of option selecting to give you a guard if a monster hits you before the attack animates and hitting pretty high.

Outside of attacking from the shield for 2 hits with X pretend the X button doesnt exist :p

Yeah, I mostly used the full X combo into the A combo, but I'll have to change that up lol.

Shengar

Is Poise a good SnS? I was playing with some people online and it turns out I can make it. I was thinking about trying SnS out, worth a shot with this or is it only good against stuff weak against water?

Rule of thumb for elemental SnS is that it's excellent against monsters who are weak to their element, but not effective to others. This is why SnS advised to have multiple weapons in their arsenal.

God damn, I'm having terrible luck getting a Brach tail. Spent two hours last night and just fought him twice trying to get it, but nope. It's not even that rare of a carve.. Doesn't help that I don't enjoy fighting him very much lol.

Is there a good method for destroying arms/tails btw? I've just been whacking them with the axe of my charge blade which seems all right. Just wondering if there is a quicker and more effective method.

PKrockin

God damn, I'm having terrible luck getting a Brach tail. Spent two hours last night and just fought him twice trying to get it, but nope. It's not even that rare of a carve.. Doesn't help that I don't enjoy fighting him very much lol.

Is there a good method for destroying arms/tails btw? I've just been whacking them with the axe of my charge blade which seems all right. Just wondering if there is a quicker and more effective method.
I have trouble cutting its tail too. Aside from mounts, shock traps, and maybe someone with a paralysis weapon it seems very hard to reach. I don't bother going for it with a lance and I'd really rather fight it with a horn than a greatsword.

Ways to break parts faster are barrel bombs, the Destroyer (?) armor skill, and using the blast ailment. Other than that I think it's a matter of doing a certain amount of damage to that part of the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom