• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiina

Is the Scylla IG any good? I've been using Gore's for what feels like forever. It's either that or I got for the Scylla CB.

Nerscylla and Gore IGs are pretty much the only ones worth using in all of LR and most of HR. Gore has some nasty material requirements at some point (plate, gem, two different mantles) but has dragon damage which comes very in handy as a lot of monsters in HR are weak to it. Nerscylla has the advantage of having fairly cheap materials and native purple sharpness at max rank. Unless you got really lucky with your Gore drops I'd say craft and upgrade the Nerscylla glaive.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well I completed my extremely long and super safe preparations for Gore Magala and they worked. He still almost carted me in the beginning because I'm not used to great sword, but the guard really really helped me out, especially with the mega dash juice going. Also thanks to whoever suggested getting Defender Hi because that saved my ass several times as I fumbled with the huge sword and camera. My cats also held up hella long at the crucial start, no doubt with the help of the armor horn I used. I even got a magala plate at the end.

I hope the game doesn't have too many of these walls out of nowhere that require so much upgrading all of the sudden compared to what was before.

God damn, I'm having terrible luck getting a Brach tail. Spent two hours last night and just fought him twice trying to get it, but nope. It's not even that rare of a carve.. Doesn't help that I don't enjoy fighting him very much lol.

Is there a good method for destroying arms/tails btw? I've just been whacking them with the axe of my charge blade which seems all right. Just wondering if there is a quicker and more effective method.

As long as you're keeping up red shield for the 20% damage buff in axe mode, then no, that's the fastest way.

Shengar

God damn, I'm having terrible luck getting a Brach tail. Spent two hours last night and just fought him twice trying to get it, but nope. It's not even that rare of a carve.. Doesn't help that I don't enjoy fighting him very much lol.

Is there a good method for destroying arms/tails btw? I've just been whacking them with the axe of my charge blade which seems all right. Just wondering if there is a quicker and more effective method.

LS draw attack and its downward slash is pretty good for cutting hyper-aggressive monster with high tail like Brachydios. Mounting and paralyzing is a good option, but unless there is skilled IG user in your team or two abnormal status attacked, those option wouldn't be reliable.

Question about Felyne Pyro: I know it improves Barrel Bomb L's, turning them into Barrel Bomb L+, but... does it affect Barrel Bomb L+'s? Or is it pointless to do L+'s if you are going to use Felyne Pyro?

I want the most effective way to become Bomberman. And Scatterfish's are a pain in the ass.

Any screens of the game on the New 3DS yet? All I've seen so far is off-screen captures showing the upgraded graphics shot from a potato.

You'd think direct-feed screens would be all over the place.

Salaadin

Bought full Diablos set but I'm really missing the extra weapon sharpness on my old set. Now I'm trying to gem in handicraft but I need 6 gems to do it, each gem requiring agnaktor carapace, which I need brute tigrex parts for... But I don't have brute tigrex unlocked yet. So frustrating.

Afrocious

Anyone mind helping me with some HR 2 quests? I'm getting tired of randoms who can't do simple things. Send me a PM or respond to this post if interested.

Disappointed that there isn't any "black" hairstyles in the game, at least for the female character. Like not even corn rows.

I know right? I'm sporting an afro which I dig when I can see it coming through my armor lol.

Any screens of the game on the New 3DS yet? All I've seen so far is off-screen captures showing the upgraded graphics shot from a potato.

You'd think direct-feed screens would be all over the place.

Go to Miiverse, those are all direct captures. Keep in mind a lot of them will be in 3D, and thus won't have AA when you view them on a web browser. Even on New3DS, there is no AA when in 3D. (I'm not sure if old 3DS ever has AA).

EDIT: Also I answered my own question, it looks like "Felyne Bombadier" is in fact non-applicable to any sort of actual bombs, it's only the Armor skill Bombadier that affects bombs, and Felyne Pyro only upgrades BBL to BBL+.

PKrockin

Go to Miiverse, those are all direct captures. Keep in mind a lot of them will be in 3D, and thus won't have AA when you view them on a web browser. Even on New3DS, there is no AA when in 3D. (I'm not sure if old 3DS ever has AA).
There's definitely some sort of AA going on with 3D off with my old 3DS.

PKrockin

So I have a question regarding the weapons, are they all balanced? Or is there a tier?
Well balanced enough that you can pick whatever you like best and not have to worry about screwing yourself with your choice. There's no tier list. I don't think there was even any agreement on whether most weapons were "good" or "bad" in 3U.

ramyeon

Well I completed my extremely long and super safe preparations for Gore Magala and they worked. He still almost carted me in the beginning because I'm not used to great sword, but the guard really really helped me out, especially with the mega dash juice going. Also thanks to whoever suggested getting Defender Hi because that saved my ass several times as I fumbled with the huge sword and camera. My cats also held up hella long at the crucial start, no doubt with the help of the armor horn I used. I even got a magala plate at the end.

I hope the game doesn't have too many of these walls out of nowhere that require so much upgrading all of the sudden compared to what was before.
I didn't really find G. Magala a wall, in fact the thing I love about MonHun games is that there usually aren't many walls you come across that can't be climbed with simple preparation and learning the way the monster works. Didn't need to make any upgrades for G. Magala specifically at all, although that is in part because I fought him in the demo so many times I suppose.

There are definitely harder monsters to fight once you get to High Rank and G Rank, and Urgent quests will likely be a bit of a difficulty spike since they're monsters from the next rank up (Specifically those to get into High Rank and G Rank).

But that's all part of the fun! You'll go back to G. Magala later on and destroy him because you've gotten that much better.

Soloed Gore in LR with the bow first try, no carts :) Granted I had fought him plenty of times in the demo, but never with the bow, only with the CB. This victory felt so good. And yes I know I am very behind compared to everyone else, but it's midterm season /:

ohlawd

Well balanced enough that you can pick whatever you like best and not have to worry about screwing yourself with your choice. There's no tier list. I don't think there was even any agreement on whether most weapons were "good" or "bad" in 3U.

bottom tier in 3U
dual blades
longsword
sns

half joking

Both the CB and Bow for the Gore Magala look great and have good stats. Should I bother making them in LR, or do I have something better waiting for me in HR?

Verelios

Hunting Horn is definitely not a friendly weapon. I still have no idea what the hell I'm doing when I set out with one.

I want to get into this game so badly. So few people I know play it currently, and I'm awful at the combat system. I have been watching the Gaijin Hunter youtube channel in hopes of learning. Any tips for noobs?

I want to get into this game so badly. So few people I know play it currently, and I'm awful at the combat system. I have been watching the Gaijin Hunter youtube channel in hopes of learning. Any tips for noobs?

It's more important to not get hit, than it is to hit.
^This is the most important tip.

EDIT:
are you joking?

do you not see the similarities between the three weapons I posted? cute
No actually I don't lol

ramyeon

Get it, you'll learn as you go and there's enough of a community here on GAF that not knowing people who play has never been an issue for me.

Watching the gaijinhunter and projared tutorial/introduction to MonHun videos will definitely help.

i seriously hope none of you guys do this

I still fear the day I accidentally hit X and resort my equipment box to the horrible default.

Page 1 and 2 for talismans because I get new ones constantly.

Page 3: Weapons. Columns 1 and 2: Greatswords. 3 and 4: Hammers. 5 and 6: Horns. 7 and 8: Lances. 9: Gunlances. 10: Other.

Page 4: Armor. Each set lined up in its own row. None of this grouping by hat, chest, arms, etc. garbage.

I've been sorting my equipment box since Freedom Unite, and it works for me. Never have trouble finding anything, and honestly, I don't care enough to spend time dicking around manually sorting everything.

I didn't want to come off as elitist or anything but I was applying my own feelings towards common online courtesies to other people. I would absolutely hate it if I was the one dragging down the team so I was thinking that people should at the very least kill a monster in village before they attempt to kill it with others online. For those that exist in village anyway.

I understand.

I think we're actually on the same page here regarding online performance.

There's a demo that let's you try all of the weapons so you can familiarize yourself with the game. As for the multiplayer, I personally am like Gaijin in a sense that I enjoy playing alone, compared to most people here I am behind in rank because of life lol. I can play at my own speed, and when I take a beast down alone it feels great. Don't think that you MUST play this game online, because you don't. The online experience is phenomenal, but all monsters are perfectly soloable.

Dice

I didn't really find G. Magala a wall, in fact the thing I love about MonHun games is that there usually aren't many walls you come across that can't be climbed with simple preparation and learning the way the monster works. Didn't need to make any upgrades for G. Magala specifically at all, although that is in part because I fought him in the demo so many times I suppose.

There are definitely harder monsters to fight once you get to High Rank and G Rank, and Urgent quests will likely be a bit of a difficulty spike since they're monsters from the next rank up (Specifically those to get into High Rank and G Rank).

But that's all part of the fun! You'll go back to G. Magala later on and destroy him because you've gotten that much better.
As I said earlier, if he got a hit in, the next two would come quick and 3 hits was enough to KO. There was almost no observing of patterns because I was dying too quick. I needed upgrades. My sword was also bouncing off of him half the time, which really didn't help at all. He was easily 10x harder than anything prior. I would call that a steep enough jump from what was the natural development curve that it is a wall.

PKrockin

Hunting Horn is definitely not a friendly weapon. I still have no idea what the hell I'm doing when I set out with one.
don't u dis the horn, bro i will fite u ლ(`ー´ლ)

I've been sorting my equipment box since Freedom Unite, and it works for me. Never have trouble finding anything, and honestly, I don't care enough to spend time dicking around manually sorting everything.
It takes 3-4 seconds to move a newly forged weapon over a few pages so it looks nice and neat rather than a clusterfuck all smashed together. It adds a bit to the satisfaction of getting a new weapon IMO. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nerscylla and Gore IGs are pretty much the only ones worth using in all of LR and most of HR. Gore has some nasty material requirements at some point (plate, gem, two different mantles) but has dragon damage which comes very in handy as a lot of monsters in HR are weak to it. Nerscylla has the advantage of having fairly cheap materials and native purple sharpness at max rank. Unless you got really lucky with your Gore drops I'd say craft and upgrade the Nerscylla glaive.
So I'll take it since I have Leumundsgift, and the plate to go Leumundsbruch, I might as well stick with Gore. That's fine by me.

Dice

Nerscylla and Gore IGs are pretty much the only ones worth using in all of LR and most of HR.
I got a relic bone staff IG that is 403dmg 120drag affinity 10% at level 1. Expeditions are pretty cool.

ramyeon

As I said earlier, if he got a hit in, the next two would come quick and 3 hits was enough to KO. There was almost no observing of patterns because I was dying too quick. I needed upgrades. My sword was also bouncing off of him half the time, which really didn't help at all. He was easily 10x harder than anything prior. I would call that a steep enough jump from what was the natural development curve that it is a wall.
Gore could definitely one or two hit me when I fought him too (Especially when he was in his rage/frenzy mode), that's pretty normal. It is definitely something you can overcome - upgrading armour of course is the easiest solution, but there are other workarounds.

If you're bouncing you definitely need to upgrade your weapon though, yeah.

Dunno if I'd say Gore was 10x harder than anything prior.

Gore could definitely one or two hit me when I fought him too (Especially when he was in his rage/frenzy mode), that's pretty normal. It is definitely something you can overcome - upgrading armour of course is the easiest solution, but there are other workarounds.

If you're bouncing you definitely need to upgrade your weapon though, yeah.

Dunno if I'd say Gore was 10x harder than anything prior.

Having just done Gore again with the CB, I really don't think he's that much harder than a Rathian, he is a lot more aggressive. Once you figure his pattern out though, it's not that tough of a fight.

Roubjon

Does anyone know how to unlock 3 star Caravan Quests? I did all the key quests but no urgent quest is unlocking. I really hate these single player quests but I need to do them anyways to unlock shit I guess? So frustrating I just want to fight the harder monsters in the Guild lol. I wish there was an option to unlock all this stuff immediately.

PKrockin

Does anyone know how to unlock 3 star Caravan Quests? I did all the key quests but no urgent quest is unlocking. I really hate these single player quests but I need to do them anyways to unlock shit I guess? So frustrating I just want to fight the harder monsters in the Guild lol. I wish there was an option to unlock all this stuff immediately.
What does the Caravaneer say?

Kinsei

Banned

Do two expeditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom