• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ckman

There are some serious issues with monster hit boxes I've found. To honest I think some monster physical attacks need to have a timing mechanic where certain parts of the attack animation do different amounts of damage. I have come across two instances where I have taken full damage from a monster attack just because I have touched them before the attack animation has fully completed but after the actually attack has ended. This usually happens if the monster is using most of its body in the attack.

Blunoise

There are some serious issues with monster hit boxes I've found. To honest I think some monster physical attacks need to have a timing mechanic where certain parts of the attack animation do different amounts of damage. I have come across two instances where I have taken full damage from a monster attack just because I have touched them before the attack animation has fully completed but after the actually attack has ended. This usually happens if the monster is using most of its body in the attack.
yea i go through that alot and it fustrates me. def a game mechanic that needs fix

The raths are guilty of that. Oh and Khezus electric AoE is so weird too.

Cerity

Was doing that caravan 6* gore magala thinking it'd be a cruisy LR deal. Started wondering why it was hitting so hard and why I was having so much trouble with it, kill it, start carving, "Gore Magala Nyctgem".

Oh.

ChrisDM

I apologize if this is the wrong place to discuss this, but I am now noticing that almost no retailers online or around me have copies of this game. Is there a planned restock at some point? I noticed Fry's said something about March 10th, but I thought I'd ask here because I am not sure if the information is out there or not. I don't want to pay more than the game costs MSRP unless totally necessary if there is no planned restock.

Picked up the N3DS w/ MH last night. This game is so much fun, mounting is addicting. Just reached HR2.

Has the hammer been nerfed a little? The attacks seem considerably slower. I moved onto IG, great weapon, I've been investing in speed (some in str) so far, is that the correct thing to do?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Gore could definitely one or two hit me when I fought him too (Especially when he was in his rage/frenzy mode), that's pretty normal. It is definitely something you can overcome - upgrading armour of course is the easiest solution, but there are other workarounds.
Well as I said earlier, if there was a quick retry, I'd definitely just go at it until I learned it, as I have in many games. However, the overbearing process attached to getting knocked out of and back around into the fight in this game is the kind of thing that makes me hate games, so I wasn't going to do that. I was close to dropping the game altogether until I saw a youtube of a guy taking way less damage that gave me hope. Even just starting in a more open area where you could better observe and learn would have been much better. I probably should have used the demo since it does just that and is much faster on retries.

ChrisDM

Picked up the N3DS w/ MH last night. This game is so much fun, mounting is addicting. Just reached HR2.

Has the hammer been nerfed a little? The attacks seem considerably slower. I moved onto IG, great weapon, I've been investing in speed (some in str) so far, is that the correct thing to do?

Where'd you pick it up from?

MrPanic

Do you guys generally sell your old equipment and weapons when you upgrade to a new set?

Nope, keeping them for the memories and for using them if there's a moment I get to play with friends that might still be a lower rank than me. It's not like there's too little box space and it ain't a good way to make money either.

R0ckman

I've heard that the healing Palico are overpowered? How so? Do they heal quite often? How are protection Palico? I have one, but he also has last stand so once he dies he's done for the hunt so I can't get a good feel for his usefulness.

stupei

I've heard that the healing Palico are overpowered? How so? Do they heal quite often? How are protection Palico? I have one, but he also has last stand so once he dies he's done for the hunt so I can't get a good feel for his usefulness.

I have two healing Palico in my first string, one deployed with me, and I feel like my health never drops below 60% and I almost never have to heal myself anymore. They do the combo move quite a lot when they're not being targeted.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Is there a fast way to leave a quest and keep your items like dying does?
I just wanna pop in and out for farming gathering spots and dying takes forever when I am trying to die.

PKrockin

I just wanna pop in and out for farming gathering spots and dying takes forever when I am trying to die.
Go on harvest tours. Otherwise complete quests via subquests. Farcasters can speed things up (bomb casing + exciteshroom I believe).

Sheesh, that sure is a lot of straw men and passive aggressiveness. I agree with him that if you're having trouble with a monster the problem is probably not your armor or weapon unless you're getting one-shotted, it's your skill.

From my own experience I have a really hard time believing anyone is learning much with 4 players wailing on a monster chaotically, stunlocking it, and spreading the its damage and attention among 4 players. When it's just me vs. monster it's much easier to focus and learn its patterns.

When I go online, it's generally either to have that different multiplayer Monster Hunter experience hunting whatever for fun, or helping newer players rank up, or it's for farming a monster I think is kind of annoying to fight (recently Khezu). I don't care very much if the other players aren't pulling as much weight as me when I just want some materials as long as they don't triple cart because I can kill the monster myself. Any damage they do is helping me get the materials faster.

All I'm saying is if you're having trouble with a monster now and want to take the shortcut around straight up mastering its attack patterns and having a good strategy, you're only going to hit a bigger roadblock later when you come upon the more dangerous subspecies or quest variant. No need to assume anyone who thinks that is some elitist douchebag speedrunner.

The text may have been dry but there was no passive aggressiveness intended in my post. The confusion was over the level of expectations intended on part of online players. I'm not sure where you got that assumption at the end but taking the game to its limits in terms of equipment optimization and in-game performance (in a team setting) is a legitimate goal. There is nothing elitist or "douchebag" about it.

I could elaborate further but I don't see any value in doing so at this point. I think we would be better served by playing the game some more instead of arguing.

Cerity

High rank trap?
Looking around you need to be HR5 to unlock that quest so I guess so.

Not sure about overpowered but they certaintly heal a lot. They get rid of status effectors pretty much immediately too.

Go do harvest tours? you can finish in 2 and a half minutes iirc.
go do some harvest tours?

PKrockin

The text may have been dry but there was no passive aggressiveness intended in my post. The confusion was over the level of expectations intended on part of online players. I'm not sure where you got that assumption at the end but taking the game to its limits in terms of equipment optimization and in-game performance (in a team setting) is a legitimate goal. There is nothing elitist or "douchebag" about it.

I could elaborate further but I don't see any value in doing so at this point. I think we would be better served by playing the game some more instead of arguing.
Well yeah, that post is 5 hours old by now and you've since clarified your position, so... :p

MikeDip

Harvest tours wont work for this, trying to use the food skill to spawn in the secret area for gathering.

It's just strange dying lets you keep everything and abandoning doesn't.

MrPanic

My second Palico got Team Attack Boost on Purrtuoso which causes it to continuously heal me for half a minute. Since their timing on using that team attack is usually spot on that usually heals me from low health to full health mid-fight. Like Purrtuoso isn't good enough on its own.

I don't use the healing palico's purely because they leave shinies behind, but I just read up that their shinies are supposed to shine green so you can tell them apart from real shinies. I guess I'll try em out since OP cats amuse me.

Is the scout-able palico that spawns in an area purely random? Cause I've been getting some bad luck with the type of palico's I'm getting.

I use one. Here are the things I've noticed they do:
-Health drops below 50%, they usually try to heal.
-Get poisoned, they try to cure it.
-If you get carted, there's a chance they'll buff your health bar to max.

In short, they're awesome.

MikeDip

I use one. Here are the things I've noticed they do:
-Health drops below 50%, they usually try to heal.
-Get poisoned, they try to cure it.
-If you get carted, there's a chance they'll buff your health bar to max.

In short, they're awesome.

You can only ever have your main cat and one other one out right? I can't deploy more, it only ever says train.
What is the point of all the slots in the 1st string section?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Palicoes are a bit complicated. There are many ways they can be fuckups.

Last stand can fuck you over, yes. Also, see what enemies they target first. I had a totally bitchin fighter, but what happened on an expedition while I was fighting gypceros and nerscylla at the same time with a light bowgun? He was chasing down kelbi, and then when he knocked them out he just stood 5 feet to the side and stared at them until they woke up and ran off, then he'd find another one. He got dismissed.

Slacking recovery is a bit give-and-take. If it plays out wrong, they'll forsake you when you need it most. If it plays out right, they use the time when you have the monster's attention to recover and end up lasting longer. The tank attack can be effective, but is basically useless against something that moves around a lot like a nerscylla. Bombers can be the shit if you're a gunner and play it smart, but suck if you have to be close to the monster and especially for GS and LS since a bomb will fuck up your charge/combo.

Sometimes they just suck and you don't know why. I had a protector once that thought blowing an armor horn once was all they needed to do. It literally just sat around doing nothing the rest of the fight. Never lived up to the "aggro the monster and tank" promise at all. Healers can also be great if they play horns to take away status ailments and restore life, but some of them think just dropping herbs on the ground is enough.

You can only ever have your main cat and one other one out right? I can't deploy more, it only ever says train.
To train more of them at once, so you can keep a few at higher levels without needing to keep an even balance of who fights with you, so you can have different types at the ready suited to different fights.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ that too \/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Seil

Every one of your first stringers affects your main palico. If you have 5 healing first stringers, your main palico will be healing and have access to a number of healing skills. The more cats of a type, the more skills of that type you have.

So, while you can only have one first stringer along for a quest, the others are still important in customizing your main palico.

Randy42

Just picked up the game today, my first MH. After trying the weapons I think I like Dual Blades or Hammer best, but since Hammer can't cut tails idk if its worth being the first thing I invest into.

Are there any specific high end DBs I should be aiming for from the get go? I look at the weapon tree on the wiki and there's so many options I just have no idea.

MikeDip

Every one of your first stringers affects your main palico. If you have 5 healing first stringers, your main palico will be healing and have access to a number of healing skills. The more cats of a type, the more skills of that type you have.

So, while you can only have one first stringer along for a quest, the others are still important in customizing your main palico.

Oh jeeze, cool. if I want say, mainly healing and defense should I do a 3healing/2defence split? There any science to this or just load it up with those cats? Does it matter if they are always set to train?

ChrisDM

Just picked up the game today, my first MH. After trying the weapons I think I like Dual Blades or Hammer best, but since Hammer can't cut tails idk if its worth being the first thing I invest into.

Are there any specific high end DBs I should be aiming for from the get go? I look at the weapon tree on the wiki and there's so many options I just have no idea.

Where did you find your copy?

Hey I am also a first timer who found dual blades to be my favorite. To answer your question, no don't look at endgame dual blades yet. Focus on what will work for you now. The endgame stuff is so far off and you can start those by crafting midgame blades that have no ties to early game Blades. Make sense?

Seil

Oh jeeze, cool. if I want say, mainly healing and defense should I do a 3healing/2defence split? There any science to this or just load it up with those cats? Does it matter if they are always set to train?

Experiment with combinations. You need at least two palicoes of a type to unlock the first skill of that type. So three healing + two protection would have the first two healing skills and the first protection skill. Its forte would be healing since there's more healing than protection. Fortes also affect personality. A healer will behave differently than a fighter.

You can also find a lot of information about this via the in-game help. At a palico board, the bottom left help button has a lot of information. You can also check via the Hunter's Notes in the normal menu.

Randy42

Hey I am also a first timer who found dual blades to be my favorite. To answer your question, no don't look at endgame dual blades yet. Focus on what will work for you now. The endgame stuff is so far off and you can start those by crafting midgame blades that have no ties to early game Blades. Make sense?

Yeah I guess. I just kinda like to have focused goals from the get go in stuff like this. Only done a few missions so far but I already have like 3 different DBs I could be using and that really screws with me xfd.

PKrockin

Good games Techno.

Hammer is a fine first weapon to learn. It's what I started with. Are you going to play online at all? Because most people online will be using a weapon that can cut tails. And they're often glad to have someone on the team who can tire monsters out faster with body blows and knock them out with head blows.

Either option is good, or you could play both.

Seil

How do i raise my Eco rating at the end of an expedition?

Eco rating goes up by one every time, or two if you eat Fish + Veggie for Felyne Ecologist.

Eco rating increases the odds of a Rare expedition, and if you go on a Rare expedition it will reset.

Edit: You can, therefore, increase it by simply running through doing nothing.

Randy42

Good games Techno.

Hammer is a fine first weapon to learn. It's what I started with. Are you going to play online at all? Because most people online will be using a weapon that can cut tails. And they're often glad to have someone on the team who can tire monsters out faster with body blows and knock them out with head blows.

Either option is good, or you could play both.

Yeah I plan to do online but not sure when the best time to start it is in relation to offline stuff. I'll prob play around with the starting hammer more next time I get on, I've only done one session so far and half of that was testing out the 1 star weapon tutorial missions.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I have helped like 6 friends get to HR5 today.

Feels good to guide more people into the meat of this game. All of them have never played monhun before and it's finally starting to click for them.

Yeah I guess. I just kinda like to have focused goals from the get go in stuff like this. Only done a few missions so far but I already have like 3 different DBs I could be using and that really screws with me xfd.

From what I've read, with dB we should always have multiple blades with different elements to be able to exploit the specific weaknesses of monsters. For example, I did my research and spent a little time crafting a water dB to battle Gravios, and it paid off with a first try kill.

Randy42

From what I've read, with dB we should always have multiple blades with different elements to be able to exploit the specific weaknesses of monsters. For example, I did my research and spent a little time crafting a water dB to battle Gravios, and it paid off with a first try kill.

Yeah someone suggested I start with water and fire ones for now. Should prob pick up the bone weps to see what I need to get to start the fire path (tho they have no slots or affinity at all compared to what look like the earliest water ones that do)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom