• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

depward

So I got my copy today and am a total noob. Any recommendations for easy to use/noob friendly weapons?
Totally not a "newb friendly" weapon type but I think people might have an easier time starting with SnS, hammer or longsword.

Have fun and give it time: Monster Hunter is an incredible series.

JNA

Banned
WHn7ati.jpg

This came in the mail today. :)

How is the game guys? I'm mostly a noob to the series.

So I got my copy today and am a total noob. Any recommendations for easy to use/noob friendly weapons?

This is my first Monster Hunter game and my advice to a fellow newbie would be to do ALL of the weapon training quests (unlocked relatively early into the game). Some weapons weren't really for me but I found a few I really liked that I probably wouldn't have picked up until much later

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Shit forgot how much of a pain it is to get a local group going. Not that it's hard just totally forgettable, so many things u need to do. Guess I'm spoiled by Xbox and ps, click invite friend done.
Gotta get all the noob quest done later, but it's all coming back to me.

Totally not a "newb friendly" weapon type but I think people might have an easier time starting with SnS, hammer or longsword.

Have fun and give it time: Monster Hunter is an incredible series.

Alright its almost finished downloading I'll send the code through PMs in a second

Long Sword, Dual Blades, Sword and Shield

This is my first Monster Hunter game and my advice to a fellow newbie would be to do ALL of the weapon training quests (unlocked relatively early into the game). Some weapons weren't really for me but I found a few I really liked that I probably wouldn't have picked up until much later

Thanks all, didn't realize you could try multiple weapons, for some reason I thought you were stuck with one weapon until you have materials to craft others. I'm leaning toward SnS (since I heard you can use potions while having weapons equipped?) but trying everything sounds like a good idea too

javadoze

Nothing says "THIS IS MONSTER HUNTER" more than spending an hour finishing 4-5 starter quests, but then taking 25 minutes to beat the sushifish quest.

I hate you sushifish.

This came in the mail today. :)

How is the game guys? I'm mostly a noob to the series.

It's great!

Just realize you shouldn't button mash and the game has a lot of risk/reward in the combat system. There's a lot to do, but this is the most accessible MH ever, so you'll do fine. :)

Brofield

Girlfriend is here for the weekend, so naturally I'm doting on her before I play MH4 or Majora's Mask 3D.

I was looking through my collector's edition though. When I was assembling the Gore Magala statue, what's the pink hexagon for?

"hi" - My girfriend Annie wanted to say hi as I typed this

Beat the Kut Ku in expedition. Bounced off of everything but it's head so it was pretty annoying. Luckily charge blade axe mode has minds eye. Having not played anything before 3, I'm assuming Qurupeco is based off of this thing? Lots of shared moves.

Highwind

Managed to get to Caravan 4 which is the cat island.

My best weapon is a Bone Staff+. ;_;

Tried online but the experience wasn't good so far. Couldn't find a room that'd hunt Tetsucabra and one room ended up hunting something entirely different. Managed to find one but the other 3 carted lol so I gave up and farmed him offline. I have most of his armour except for the arms. Oh well.

Tomorrow I might farm for more armour but I wish I was in high rank tbh.

Cocaloch

I'm really excited to start playing this, but our building has a new front desk worker and she just decided to take a break when UPS delivered. So now I have to wait for next week before I can get the game.

Yo, don't mean to beg, but if anyone has a Theme code they don't intend to use, I'd love to nab it off you. Makes no sense, the Limited Edition not coming with it.

Supposedly it's at the bottom of your eShop receipt.

Quadraxis

I just got back from a 6 hour hunting session with a friend, in which we reached hr2 together. Damm it was fucking awesome. First time Nerscylla took really long, but we bested her. Dat feeling when you finally kill it, pure gaming bliss :D

Delio

Hmm Trying to decide the next armor to be working for. Is the Kut-Ku the next logical step now that i have him?

Damn are the early quests this handholdy?I'm only at the deliver well done steak quest and I'm pretty sure I turned tutorials off unless I'm mistaken and the guildarm and caravaneer keep telling me the most obvious stuff

Ridley327

I'm so glad the game lets you edit the chat shortcuts, particularly the status ones that automatically pop up. I couldn't resist putting in NOT THE HEAD BITE for the pinned prompt.

Damn are the early quests this handholdy?I'm only at the deliver well done steak quest and I'm pretty sure I turned tutorials off unless I'm mistaken and the guildarm and caravaneer keep telling me the most obvious stuff

The early quests always are. They even make a hilarious joke about it once you get into 2-star quests.

God, I fucking love you, 8-4.

Stoof

Are the online lobbies like MH3U or are they like the demo's lobbies? I hope we don't have to continue using those long numbers as rooms...

KdylanR92

Man i wish i could play this on my tv, I'm still not used to playing on the small screen and i've been playing MH4 for months.

Who's playing this on OG 3DS or XL? I see all the praises of how it looks on the "new" 3DS but I'm curious how it looks compared to the demo on the OG XL.

UPS delivered my package!

Those of you wondering about the Monster Hunter 4 case:

It a bit snug. It can easily be store outside of the black pocket if you dont have anything else to store. THis is with Duraflex + New 3DS XL. Also including ac adapter + USB charge cable.

Who's playing this on OG 3DS or XL? I see all the praises of how it looks on the "new" 3DS but I'm curious how it looks compared to the demo on the OG XL.

I'm playing on an OG 3DS, but I'm not sure if I can help, because I skipped the demo, only played a bit of MH3U.

I can, however, give a fresh opinion from somebody that have a low tolerance for lower framerates: so far it is not that bad, but I'm still with one cat and on the starting missions, things might get ugly with more cats / 4 players.

Kazerei

Banned
"End via Subquest" is so useful. I needed 4 King's Frills to upgrade a Greatsword, so I just did the subquest (break Great Jaggi's head) and ended it. Much faster than doing the whole quest.

I hate it when randoms end via subquest without discussing it though :\

I thought the game would already be downloaded :|
I was like where the hell is my game? Did I accidentally format it out?

Downloading as I speak.

wiibomb

"End via Subquest" is so useful. I needed 4 King's Frills to upgrade a Greatsword, so I just did the subquest (break Great Jaggi's head) and ended it. Much faster than doing the whole quest.

I hate it when randoms end via subquest without discussing it though :

Anyone can finish via subquest? What happens to the mission and the others when someone does that?

I'm playing on an OG 3DS, but I'm not sure if I can help, because I skipped the demo, only played a bit of MH3U.

I can, however, give a fresh opinion from somebody that have a low tolerance for lower framerates: so far it is not that bad, but I'm still with one cat and on the starting missions, things might get ugly with more cats / 4 players.

Cool thanks , I appreciate any input.

Choomp

Banned
Is this a good game to get into this series with? Or do I go with Tri that I already have. I had trouble getting into that, but I feel when I do it'll be a lot of fun.

Kazerei

Banned
Anyone can finish via subquest? What happens to the mission and the others when someone does that?
If it works like Tri, anyone can finish via subquest and the mission ends for everyone. Haven't encountered it yet in MH4U but that always annoyed me in Tri.

Is this a good game to get into this series with? Or do I go with Tri that I already have. I had trouble getting into that, but I feel when I do it'll be a lot of fun.

Probably the best one to get into the series with from what I understand.

God these cat puns - they are atrocious but I laugh every time:

"Meowlmen like me run the Courier Service. We link up hunters from all aclaws the land. It's a very impawtant job, nya!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom