• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandelbo

Would it be better to upgrade my Bone Axe+ to the Bone Smasher or Barbarian Axe? I want to be careful since I know lots of other weapons are derived from them.

Newbie hunter here. Can I play the game solely as a bowman?

I want to try an archer build but I don't have a clue where to start. The game just gave me a sword and shield.

Totally, I switched back and forth between LS and bow last game. You can pick up the bow at your "house" in the trunk.
Make sure to watch some videos on how to use the bow though, you usually have to be closer to the monster than you think to use it effectively.

MrPanic

Finally put my first armor together. Kinda a pain to make the velociprey armor since you can only farm Velocidrome through a guild quest where he hits pretty hard on a 6 defense armor, good thing he gets pretty predictable with so little moves. Just had to go for that armor since it's the only one that resembles the lr Jaggi armor from mh3u skillwise, unlike this game's jaggi armor.

Also scored my first death already against Gypceros, definitely wasn't ready for that weird moveset he has. There goes my plan to never die in low rank.

Nachos

Would it be better to upgrade my Bone Axe+ to the Bone Smasher or Barbarian Axe? I want to be careful since I know lots of other weapons are derived from them.
Haven't messed with the switch axes in this game yet, but see if this helps any.

Should probably be mentioned in the OP: Athenas Armor Set Search Tool for MH4G/U
Consider it added.

Never tried an MH before so sorry for the ignorance. How do I change weapons? I just fried some meat for some guy and I want to try all my weapons!
The first level version of each weapon type should be in the blue box in your living quarters by the guild marm. EDIT: Beaten

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Farming Great Jaggi frills is suffering, i have to be extremely careful not to obliterate him before breaking his face.

The fight literally lasts 75 seconds.

ACESmkII

Wow!! Going from playing on standard 3DS XL to the New 3DS XL definitely helped in the FPS range and Textures for sure. Also, camera control with the C-stick is pretty nice.

I can't stop playing holy shit :lol I'm still in val halbar and just finished the second expedition quest with yian kut Ku. I'll probably hop online later if anyone is still up. My jaggi set is upgraded twice as well as the default charge blade so monsters are going down in 5 mins and less.

I wanna main the insect glaive is well but I have no idea how the upgrade system works. I was randomly feeding it nectar and I got its power attribute up +9 but have no idea how. Really confusing

Is the pre-order bonus pin supposed to be packaged inside the box?
No. Preorder one from GameStop is in its own package. You probably should ask if you didn't get it. Mine, they forgot and told me they didn't have many left so I dunno if they were just handing them out willy nilly or what.

The collectors edition has a pin inside the larger box with your other swag though.

I only played for 30 minutes, did the boat tutorial, did the first mission with roasting the steak and I can already tell that this game is so much better at teaching the player what they are supposed to do. Getting started and off and running has been a big problem with Monster Hunter games and this one has already fixed that big time. Love it!

Pejo

oh man, some of the adult themed jokes are amazing. The opening text for the Great Jaggi quest by the NPC girl had me laughing so hard.

Loving it so far. I am a little sad the the insect glaive suffers from the same problem the switch axe did in Tri, in that you start with the bone one and then you didn't fight anything that gives you part for a new one for a long ass time. It's kind of a bummer to be enjoying a weapon only to have to switch to something more effective because the game isn't giving you any options.

Soul Lab

A friend of mine has problems with mh4u or his n3ds. We don't know. a couple of times now he got an error and the software closes. he has to restart the software. Any ideas?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You know I kind of love being in full great jaggi with the cheif greatsword. It's a nice change of pace from all that G rank armor I've gotten used to wearing.

Kecha Wacha fight was pretty cool

Yeah I really liked climbing over him and smashing his fingers so he'd let go.

It was a really well designed encounter.

RobbieNick

Man MH4U really failed to fix the beginning part of the game for me. I'm so tired of clicking through text and doing gathering quests. Optional tutorials are fine, but I should be able to instantly get into fighting large monsters if I already know what I'm doing.

If you downloaded the day 1 patch and got the starter pack with extra goodies and a Mario costume for your Palico, you wouldn't need to do the gathering quests because you'd already have a steak and Mega potion in your inventory to give to your boss.

Condom

Man MH4U really failed to fix the beginning part of the game for me. I'm so tired of clicking through text and doing gathering quests. Optional tutorials are fine, but I should be able to instantly get into fighting large monsters if I already know what I'm doing.
But that's like, not the point of the game.

The gathering is an important part and it's quite fun to see your item box grow once again. You can't go fight a rathian but then see you miss the essentials to combine a tranq bomb or pitfall trap.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Someone was showing armor sets a few pages ago, so I've decided to join:
j4ctgMJ.jpg

Skills:
Evasion +3
Evade Distance
Sharpness +1
Bombardier (I'm using a Dalamadur glaive, which has blast element on some attacks)

Sadly, I'm not great at MH, so I have to compensate with evasion skills.

Was really tired today but I played majoras mask as much as i could while i was awake.. getting sleepy again but popped in MH and watch the intro.. Im about to go to sleep so hyped :) Cant wait to play tomorrow.

SkyOdin

Never tried an MH before so sorry for the ignorance. How do I change weapons? I just fried some meat for some guy and I want to try all my weapons!

Best way to try all the weapons is to do the first two quests. After you do those, training quests for every weapon will appear. If you sign up for one of those, you are immediately thrown into an Arena-style fight against a Great Jaggi where someone gives you some basic instruction in how the weapon works.

demigod

Did they do away with the farm in this game? Damn not sure what weapon to go with, new axe or glaive....decisions decisions.

ramyeon

Anyone feel like farming the Velocidrome guild quest a bit? Need a few more bits and pieces to complete the Velociprey set.

Did they do away with the farm in this game? Damn not sure what weapon to go with, new axe or glaive....decisions decisions.
Before I quit last night I unlocked an old guy that let's you multiply items and trade for caravan points. I assume that's the farm equivalent in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom