• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emalde

How does GQ sharing work anyway? I have done a bunch of expeditions but I only have 1 G rank velocidrome and a bunch of level 1 kut-kus. All I get is kut-kus. Ever. I don't know why.

I'd really like Gore/S.Magala, and Deviljho, but I never seem to see those expeditions, least of all with the weapons I'm looking for. (IG)

Whenever you hunt a monster/grab a shiny (this one in particular has stupidly low rates of success) in Expedition, depending on what the monster was you have a chance of getting a Guild Quest for one of 3-5 monsters afterwards.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/wiki/guild_quest_monsters

What? the charge blade and IG is a noob weapon or something? Not that I mind or anything but if it is, why is that? This is my first MH game and i main the charge blade, I like swapping between the two different weapons and shit. I would've gone dual blade but I literally ALWAYS go dual blade when its an option so I wanted to do something different and picked 1 I never go with(sword & shield and big ass weapon)

There is no way a CB is a noob weapon. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. All MH weapons require you to learn the timing and spacing of your attacks but CB has a lot going on on top of that. Maybe noobs pick it because its seems fancy though. I assume CB and IG are so popular because vets want to use the new stuff.

wiibomb

It needs the skill awakening in order for its elemental damage to be active

oh that was it.. I was hinking it was the symbol of the relic equipments lol..

yeah if the number is greyed out you need the awakening skill to "awaken" that element, for that you need +10 free element skill points

Kensuke

Got my Deviljho and Gore excavations to level 127, which makes them 'super g'. Besides a few divine armor spheres the spoils haven't been that amazing. Hopefully I can find a cool weapon or charm soon.

Shiina

Capture have 2% chance for Umbrage, while body carve have 3%
1% difference, not sure if that justify people for having, let alone spamming such preset chat message

fair enough, but 1% difference? come on...

Doesn't capture usually yield two items and certain monsters you can carve up to 4 times? That would make it 2*2% vs. 3-4*3%, so 4% vs. 9-12%.

Got my Deviljho and Gore excavations to level 127, which makes them 'super g'. Besides a few divine armor spheres the spoils haven't been that amazing. Hopefully I can find a cool weapons or charm soon.

I remember you said you farmed Rajang for his heart. Is the C10 Bad Hair Rajang a G-rank quest? That's what Kiranico said anyway. I have to farm him at some point as well.

There is no way a CB is a noob weapon. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. All MH weapons require you to learn the timing and spacing of your attacks but CB has a lot going on on top of that. Maybe noobs pick it because its seems fancy though. I assume CB and IG are so popular because vets want to use the new stuff.
IG is hard, it got no idea how to use it lol
Just play the weapons you like and mind the other players, as long as you avoid hitting them you're good. I was 500+ hunts with dual blades in 3U, who cares about "n00b weapon" mentality?
That's what I do anyway I'm just curious why the previous poster said he doesn't care if people say they're noon weapons

Emalde

Got my Deviljho and Gore excavations to level 127, which makes them 'super g'. Besides a few divine armor spheres the spoils haven't been that amazing. Hopefully I can find a cool weapons or charm soon.

The specific monster target also has a big effect on the rewards as you get closer and closer and eventually hit 140. Oroshi Kirin reportedly has the best results, which is why I'm trying to pick one up.

Dragoshi1

Cephadrome, I HATE YOU SO MUCH.

Fantastic cutscene, though.

Still using my Stealth Glaive, now at Lv5, and using Battle Armor gemmed for Atk Up, but gonna need a 2 slot weapon to take advantage of Atk Up L.

cheesekao

Any gunlacers around here? I've been looking around for gunlance armor sets for high rank and the Seltas S set is pretty crappy compared to the low ranked one. Any recommendations? I'd like to have things planned out before I get the game.

Kensuke

I remember you said you farmed Rajang for his heart. Is the C10 Bad Hair Rajang a G-rank quest? That's what Kiranico said anyway. I have to farm him at some point as well.

Yep, he's G rank. It's also the 'furious' version. Online I've only seen the normal version (in apex), but his stuff makes you a different set. The furious version has better skills.

The specific monster target also has a big effect on the rewards as you get closer and closer and eventually hit 140. Oroshi Kirin reportedly has the best results, which is why I'm trying to pick one up.

Really? What's so good about Kirin sub compared to others? I have a HR one, only leveled it to 70 so far.

Comandr

I have been playing with the SA but due to lack of good upgrade (until I get higher in rank) I decided to try the SnS , I really like the moves and the backward jump+charge attack , so much that I have not touched my SA since I tried this .
Is the SnS viable at higher rank ? I plan on using both but maybe more the SnS since I prefer to have better mobility/agility over dmg

SnS doesn't do less damage than any other weapon. There is an extremely complicated weapon formula but I'm going to dumb it down to insulting levels. Think of it as DPS.

Let's take <SnS> that has an Attack of 100. The attack value is not the actual damage you inflict on the monster. For the sake of argument, we'll just shave off the last number. Each strike you deal to the monster does 10 damage. That is not a large number, but you can swing very quickly.

Now let's look at <Great Sword> It has an Attack of 500. So by our napkin math, 50 damage per hit. But this weapon is very slow, and landing successful hits is actually somewhat challenging.

So while landing huge hits is satisfying, using slow weapons can actually drag out the battles much longer than whittling away at monsters with fast weapons like SnS.

For reference, I did a cursory examination of the highest True Attack (which is a hidden stat calculated by the attack value of a weapon and swing speed) [read: DPS, for our layman's study]

Great Sword: Ukanlos Skycleaver
Attack 1728
True Attack 360

Sword & Shield: Bescaled Dalamadur
Attack 462
True Attack 330

Now if you just look at the printed attack value on the weapon itself in the game, the margin between these two weapons APPEARS to be enormous. But when you look at their True Attack, the values are actually much, much closer, and when you factor in that the likelihood of landing successful hits is also much greater for the average player with a faster weapon, the Bescaled Dalamadur could arguably be more powerful in any given set of hands.

Of course, none of this touches on monster part defense, etc. As I stated in the beginning: there is a very complicated manner of calculating real world damage-per-hit.

TL;DR: All weapons are viable.

Whenever you hunt a monster/grab a shiny (this one in particular has stupidly low rates of success) in Expedition, depending on what the monster was you have a chance of getting a Guild Quest for one of 3-5 monsters afterwards.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/wiki/guild_quest_monsters

I knew about drop rates, but the resource you provided is amaaaazing. Bless you.

Further edit: Since this is a large post (and those tend to attract attention) I'm going to take this opportunity to share a tip that I have learned over my career hunting monsters. I want to touch on this really quick because I've seen a couple posts regarding it. I don't claim that any of the information I am about to disclose is true or factual, just my observations.

When monsters start to salivate/drool, they are fatigued. They will start looking for food. Some monsters will fly or run away to eat. This is a great time to drop down Tinged/Poisoned Meat. I've had success in them just stopping what they're doing and chowing down after I drop it. Not only does this provide a huge window to do a ton of damage while they're munching, they don't often flinch during this period. Then, in the case of Tinged meat, the paralysis effect takes hold and you have more of an opportunity to let loose.

When monsters limp, their HP is extremely low, and they are "capture ready." In my 400+ hour career (which I know isn't much compared to a lot of our veterans here.) I can say with confidence that once a monster starts limping, it will almost always immediately run away to go sleep. Sleeping is the only way for monsters to recover HP. Food will recover their stamina, but won't heal them. This recovery process is fairly slow, and creates a wonderful opportunity. A monster that has fled to sleep is practically a guaranteed capture. If you have Auto-Tracker or a paintball in effect, you will be able to see the monster on your map. A red monster is "in combat," if you will; blue means they have become passive. If your monster starts to limp, LET IT GO. Do not chase it. Watch it on the map, you'll see it reach an area and slow down, and eventually turn blue. It's now asleep. If you chase the monster into it's sleeping area before it actually falls asleep, it will just continue fighting. When you are on your last leg and out of items, this can lead to a quest failure.

Walk right up to the monster, lay a Pitfall/Shock trap right on top of it, and give it a good kick. Two tranquilizers and it's a done deal. A capture-ready monster should never need more than two tranqs. More than 2 and it's not ready to capture, don't waste any more.

That's it. Sorry for the long post. Hopefully it's informative to someone.

Emalde

Really? What's so good about Kirin sub compared to others? I have a HR one, only leveled it to 70 so far.

Because it's a "rare" GQ, it probably has a slightly better rewards table. I think any Elder Dragon GQ falls under this, but reportedly (this is all anecdote from the handful of Japanese players I've spoken to TBF) Oroshi > Kirin for rewards, but they still have roughly the same amount of HP so the time/effort for rewards is at its best squarely with lv140 Oroshi.

Shiina

Yep, he's G rank. It's also the 'furious' version. Online I've only seen the normal version (in apex), but his stuff makes you a different set. The furious version has better skills.

Yeah that's the one I need for other parts, too. Gonna make his waist. Time to get good.

Valus

Does anyone know what the critical damage multiplier is? I'm curious is it's worth it to sacrifice raw damage for affinity boosts with fast weapons.

On another note, would anyone be interested in farming HR Brachy later tonight? I'm looking for the gem, specifically.

cheesekao

Does anyone know what the critical damage multiplier is? I'm curious is it's worth it to sacrifice raw damage for affinity boosts with fast weapons.

On another note, would anyone be interested in farming HR Brachy later tonight? I'm looking for the gem, specifically.

1.25 IIRC.

R0ckman

Because it's a "rare" GQ, it probably has a slightly better rewards table. I think any Elder Dragon GQ falls under this, but reportedly (this is all anecdote from the handful of Japanese players I've spoken to TBF) Oroshi > Kirin for rewards, but they still have roughly the same amount of HP so the time/effort for rewards is at its best squarely with lv140 Oroshi.

What the hell, I didn't even have to farm to get the Kirin quest, just looked up who drops it, went in fought the monster and it dropped.

Shengar

My problem with the Magala LS is that it starts off so weak. The Raw at first is really low, the elemental is low, and while it has decent sharpness at lvl 2, it degrades to green in just a few hits.
Compare it to Wyvern Blade "Blood", which you can get right about the same time, it pales in comparison. Not to mention the Rime sword that, once you get Advanced Armor Spheres, is up in the mid 500s raw, with the next closest at that time only being 462.

(Also, I thought the Ice Rimeblade was only available in MH3U, not in this one? I can't find it anywhere in MH4U)
It's started very weak, but scaled pretty good which is why it's good investment for carrying throughout G Rank (assuming you can get the rare material of course).

Just checked, it isn't really rimeblade any more, I reckon because the name is reserved for guild quest weapon. It still Ice Blade, but there isn't Rimeblade anymore, nor Rime & Treason. After Ice Blade, there's plus version, then Edel's Blade.
Doesn't capture usually yield two items and certain monsters you can carve up to 4 times? That would make it 2*2% vs. 3-4*3%, so 4% vs. 9-12%.

If you put it like, it's a big difference. But still not warrant for the asshole attitude since not all people knowing Kiranico or Ping's Dex exist in, let alone memorize the drop.

Cephadrome, I HATE YOU SO MUCH.

Fantastic cutscene, though.

Still using my Stealth Glaive, now at Lv5, and using Battle Armor gemmed for Atk Up, but gonna need a 2 slot weapon to take advantage of Atk Up L.

I actually just beat him! The power of Sonic Bombs and Barrel bombs. :)
He did get a lot of hits on me though...

It's started very weak, but scaled pretty good which is why it's good investment for carrying throughout G Rank (assuming you can get the rare material of course).

Just checked, it isn't really rimeblade any more, I reckon because the name is reserved for guild quest weapon. It still Ice Blade, but there isn't Rimeblade anymore, nor Rime & Treason. After Ice Blade, there's plus version, then Edel's Blade.

Yeah, the Rimeblade is a "relic" weapon now. I can't find anywhere online that has any stats for it. When I play some tonight, I'll post some up. It's a fantastic LR & early HR sword.
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH4U:_Relic_Weapons

Emalde

It's a 25% damage boost when you critical hit, which means there are specific raw damage breakpoints for weapons where you should prioritize Critical Eye over Attack Up where critical becomes a larger boost than the raw increase (ie when a 25% boost is more raw damage than the +20-25 Attack)

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunt...ome_misconceptions_regarding_affinity/cowxuhc

R0ckman

For Rajang did they do anything interesting like if you getting a critical in as he's holding up a huge chunk of the earth he pulls out it makes him topple over and drop on him for huge impact damage? There really needs to be more of these kinds of things in this game. I just feel like it's lame that very few monsters have some kind of thing where you can get a BIG advantage for even a limited time, as cheap as the earth throw is with like no lag after he throws it, you'd think they'd add that element into the fight.

Any gunlacers around here? I've been looking around for gunlance armor sets for high rank and the Seltas S set is pretty crappy compared to the low ranked one. Any recommendations? I'd like to have things planned out before I get the game.

I use gunlance but right now I don't have an armor to go with it either. Though looking at the armor page on Kiranico it looks like there's a lot of options later in high rank but by that time you could probably cheese your way through and then you hit G and all the gear you got is now collecting dust.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
gravios so ez

is there some more bullshit that happens when you try to fly to the next place?

Figured out how Battered Weapons work that you get from expeditions, thanks to this GameFAQs post. Not sure how accurate it is.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/762804-monster-hunter-4-ultimate/71254979

If you want relics, the type of relic gets locked in for 2 weapons and 1 armor piece. The mission info will say what types of weapons the quest can give. You can tell really early on what weapon it'll be, you will get at least 1 levelling it early.

If it says it gives a longsword, and you want that, run the quest till you get a Longsword. Say you get a Rimeblade. No matter how high you level the quest, the longsword that drops will always be a Rimeblade, but each version of the blade will be different with different types of characteristics like sharpness affinity raw damage and so on.

Because it's random weapons you could regularly craft are drastically different. I have a Kehzu gunlance with poison instead of shock element.

Run the mission and decide if that weapon is what you want an ultimate version of. The weapons can be equipment not craftable in the game, or if they are craftable, odd and completely different.

ilium

Figured out how Battered Weapons work that you get from expeditions, thanks to this GameFAQs post. Not sure how accurate it is.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/762804-monster-hunter-4-ultimate/71254979

If you want relics, the type of relic gets locked in for 2 weapons and 1 armor piece. The mission info will say what types of weapons the quest can give. You can tell really early on what weapon it'll be, you will get at least 1 levelling it early.

If it says it gives a longsword, and you want that, run the quest till you get a Longsword. Say you get a Rimeblade. No matter how high you level the quest, the longsword that drops will always be a Rimeblade, but each version of the blade will be different with different types of characteristics like sharpness affinity raw damage and so on.

Because it's random weapons you could regularly craft are drastically different. I have a Kehzu gunlance with poison instead of shock element.

Run the mission and decide if that weapon is what you want an ultimate version of. The weapons can be equipment not craftable in the game, or if they are craftable, odd and completely different.

I wonder if it makes sense to start grinding weapons before g-rank?

L Thammy

I failed a quest because of a fucking Jaggi. I had tiny a sliver of life left, was rolling away to sheath and use a mega potion. Rolled right into a Jaggi and got killed by a nibble.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I failed a quest because of a fucking Jaggi. I had tiny a sliver of life left, was rolling away to sheath and use a mega potion. Rolled right into a Jaggi and got killed by a nibble.
This is why we need a replay feature.
My condolences.

First attempt at Daimyo Hermi. Got wiped in a few hits, seems it's time to upgrade that LR armor. Gloamspring looks good, and I have the parts for the set. GS and HH user, so it's be good for those, aside from critdraw on the HH. Worrywart sucks, though, where do I see lagombi and zamitrios HR, hr5? Lookin to gem it out.

R0ckman

I wish there was some kind of "screw off" skill where small monsters just get deflected off of you if they attack. Level 2 of the skill gives them damage when they deflect, level 3 of the skill kills them, sends them flying and can cause their launching to be used as a weapon against other monsters nearby.

Been using velociprey armor up until I got my first Gore Magala hunting quest. Kinda feeling nostalgic because velociprey armor is the first full set of armor I ever crafted in MH1.

Mupod

I wish there was some kind of "screw off" skill where small monsters just get deflected off of you if they attack. Level 2 of the skill gives them damage when they deflect, level 3 of the skill kills them, sends them flying and can cause their launching to be used as a weapon against other monsters nearby.

cats are pretty damn effective at dealing with small monsters now. Just put the right hat on them, and some impact weapons for good measure. I've only had one Rhenoplos-related incident since starting 4U, and he was a dirty hacker who charged right through Gypceros' body.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Finally at heaven's mount. I hope this first quest isn't too hard because all I want is gossamite ore which is used in like 70% of the upgrades I want to do. I will have my ice blade+!

This is why we need a replay feature.
My condolences.
Seriously replay would be so awesome.

I've been stuck on Pink Rathian for the past two days and finally busted out the traps and flash bombs. I was hoping to do that as a last resort against harder monsters but I'm hitting a wall. Had it limping, attacked it while it was asleep and ended up using my last cart.

My anus is sore after that one.

Gave it another go and beat it pretty handily that time, yay. That dive it does followed by a tail whip is just brutal though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone ever have a particularly frustrating Expedition run where you feel like you're a new player again? I just had a Kut-Ku + Gypceros tag team my ass 3 times. I mean, I'm no pro at Mon Hun, but this was just ridiculous. Poison, on fire, tails flailing, beak munching, charging, dizzy, stun....It was just insulting, haha.

Good morning, noob here.

I understand later in the game material is only dropped if you cut off a monster piece. I generally only use the Insect Glaive. I'm pretty sure this weapon can't cut parts off. What weapons have the capability of cutting of monster parts?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Good morning, noob here.

I understand later in the game material is only dropped if you cut off a monster piece. I generally only use the Insect Glaive. I'm pretty sure this weapon can't cut parts off. What weapons have the capability of cutting of monster parts?

Why wouldn't it be able to cut off parts? It does cutting damage right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom