• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chunky

I wish there was some kind of "screw off" skill where small monsters just get deflected off of you if they attack. Level 2 of the skill gives them damage when they deflect, level 3 of the skill kills them, sends them flying and can cause their launching to be used as a weapon against other monsters nearby.

What could work well would be an item called 'Pheromone', or something similar, which basically makes small monsters not attack you, maybe even make them attack the larger monsters. Like Velociprey would do to Rathian in MHFU.

I lost out on carving a KechaWacha because a pack of asshole Genprey paralysed me three times in a row. Seriously, fuck small monsters.

shuusin

Neo Member
That depends really. You should find a weapon that you feel the most comfortable with as the rarity of the materials needed are more or less similar across all weapons. Only then can we know what kind of armor that you need.

I like to use bows online and long swords offline.

L Thammy

Good morning, noob here.

I understand later in the game material is only dropped if you cut off a monster piece. I generally only use the Insect Glaive. I'm pretty sure this weapon can't cut parts off. What weapons have the capability of cutting of monster parts?

You should actually be fine; you'd just have to aim at the tail.

If you get to that point in the game and find that you can't get the tail off, try a longsword. Greatswords are also good for that purpose, but longsword would probably be more your speed.

Good stuff! I'd take Pink Ian over Azure Los any day, though. So annoying..

Fought Azure last night with a GAF group and it was pretty easy, but I thought the same about Pink until I fought it solo. I have trouble with setting up optimal attacks with a bow when they're enraged in single player. The Palicos help for a short amount of time but don't last long.

How do the rest of you long range players play? Just sheathe your weapon until the rage passes and dodge?

Edit: Realized I said long range when I only use spread bows. Question still stands, I guess!

Chunky

Good morning, noob here.

I understand later in the game material is only dropped if you cut off a monster piece. I generally only use the Insect Glaive. I'm pretty sure this weapon can't cut parts off. What weapons have the capability of cutting of monster parts?

Any weapon in the game can break parts, eg Kecha's ears, Al Gore's feelers etc.
However, monsters with long tails can have them chopped off by applying cutting damage, which IG does so you're fine.
Hammer and Hunting Horn are the only ones that can't do some form of cutting damage, which they make up for by being able to stun monsters very easily and lower their stamina faster.

Good morning, noob here.

Its a cutting weapon. you can absolutely cut parts with the Glaive.

L Thammy

Hammer and Hunting Horn are the only ones that can't do some form of cutting damage, which they make up for by being able to stun monsters very easily and lower their stamina faster.

Technically untrue. Hunting horn has a stab attack which does cutting damage, and it can cut tails. But it's not at all practical for the purpose.

EDIT: Wait, did they replace the stab with the double swing? I'm forgetting now.

Veal

I never gave it much thought but there was a pretty big increase in graphical fidelity in comparison 3U! Normal/specular maps all over the place, more intricate texture work, much larger scale environments, DOF, reflections, smoke and fog, greatly enhanced lighting effects and frame rates that top out at 60fps in 3D (!) and never seem to drop below 30 (at least on n3DS.) It's pretty impressive how much Capcom is getting out the hardware.

My free themes failed to install when I downloaded the full game. Any idea on how to get them? Capcom support or Nintendo support?

They aren't showing up in the theme section under collection or whatever.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I used a Plesioth Watercutter to beat Gravios and I must say it sheaths way faster than the Khezu Shock Sword. With that much of a difference I feel like it should be it's own category in the weapon info.

Speaking of the Khezu sword, I used it to kill a Khezu. In that same fight I was testing out support palicoes and they dropped shock traps... which worked on it....

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm glad i can stick with my Insect Glaive to cut off monster parts.

With that said, second noob question.

How do i get better guild quests at the end of my expeditions? Seems like i only ever get Velocidromes. I mean, I'm kicking all kinds of ass, never fainting, defeating numerous different enemy monsters in one expedition, but get like 10 velocidrome guild quests. What do i do to get other monsters?

Hale-XF11

My free themes failed to install when I downloaded the full game. Any idea on how to get them? Capcom support or Nintendo support?

They aren't showing up in the theme section under collection or whatever.

This happened to me. I then found the download code for the theme in the eshop on the digital receipt for the game itself.

Ricky 7

Does sharpness affect Gunlance shelling power? I tried to look it up and some people are saying it does whilst others are saying it doesn't?( ? _ ? )

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm glad i can stick with my Insect Glaive to cut off monster parts.

With that said, second noob question.

How do i get better guild quests at the end of my expeditions? Seems like i only ever get Velocidromes. I mean, I'm kicking all kinds of ass, never fainting, defeating numerous different enemy monsters in one expedition, but get like 10 velocidrome guild quests. What do i do to get other monsters?

Well many monsters have a pool of possible Guild quest drops. In low rank its common to get tons of Kut Ku and Velicidrome.

I think monsters like Rathalos, Gravios, Najarala, and Gore Magala have a higher chance to drop other monsters.

Does sharpness affect Gunlance shelling power? I tried to look it up and some people are saying it does whilst others are saying it doesn't?( ? _ ? )

Nope it just lets you shoot more shots without losing as much sharpness.

Artillery is one of the few skills that modifies Shell damage (and Felyne Bombardier)

ilium

Fought Azure last night with a GAF group and it was pretty easy, but I thought the same about Pink until I fought it solo. I have trouble with setting up optimal attacks with a bow when they're enraged in single player. The Palicos help for a short amount of time but don't last long.

How do the rest of you long range players play? Just sheathe your weapon until the rage passes and dodge?

Edit: Realized I said long range when I only use spread bows. Question still stands, I guess!

Yea, it's a problem I found no good solution for yet. I recently switched to tigrex bow which uses rapid shot so its even more difficult to get good hits in. It was easier for me while using spread because I didn't need to aim for weak points as much.

Artemis here BTW, we had good runs yesterday indeed ;)

Can I hit G rank with that? I need a high rank armor too and I'd like some fresh air, played all the game with low rank Tetsucabra, time for a change.
I hit G with it. Never got one shotted until Ukanlos ice beam, but that's easy to dodge (or just bring flash bombs). I then immediately upgraded to Velociprey X and that's done well enough for G1.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
What're the best skills/armor set for Charge Blade. Right now I just upgraded from Tetsucabra to Gore Magala, but the skills attached feel soso (fart proof and increased attack when monster is angry). I feel like there have to be some skills that make the class even better.

Flash Bombs and Traps buy precious time.

Dragon Element Scatter bow (like the Gore one) should allow you to stun it more often but yeah its just a matter of positioning and dodging.

Evade Distance and Hear Protect could go a long way in opening up more opportunities

Anyone else having issues trying to break the Frill off of the Great Jaggi?

Also, do traps only work on bosses, not on regular enemies?

burgerdog

I got a Worn Hammer, Worn Gunlance, Demon's Isle and a Rusted Sword. I'm going to need a lot of Earth Crystals.

Yoooooooo, need revenge on S gore today. The disconnects were ridiculous last night and the stupid thing didn't die despite the fact that I wailed on it for nearly 30 minutes.

Well many monsters have a pool of possible Guild quest drops. In low rank its common to get tons of Kut Ku and Velicidrome.

I think monsters like Rathalos, Gravios, Najarala, and Gore Magala have a higher chance to drop other monsters.

I see "low" on my expeditions. How do i get higher ranks?

Hrm. What's the best way to unlock the *8 gathering quests? Specifically need Frozen Seaway, need to farm for Adv Armor spheres haha. There's no good HR armor that has the skills I need yet. :x

I see "low" on my expeditions. How do i get higher ranks?

I think its tied to your Guild Hall Hunter Rank but im not sure

It could be tied to progress on both the Caravan and Guild Hall

Also some monsters have to be "Unlocked" before they show up on expeditions at all and therefore Guild Quests as well

This is done through various questlines in the Caravan and Gathering Hall. Rule of thumb? Complete everything :(

Ricky 7

Nope it just lets you shoot more shots without losing as much sharpness.

Artillery is one of the few skills that modifies Shell damage (and Felyne Bombardier)
Alright that's good to know, I can continue spamming wide charged shots with the skills you mentioned. I'm surprised how powerful that combination is.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'm still trying to understand the whole expedition thing. So at the end of the expedition, you unlock potential monsters to fight in the arena? You guys mention Guild quests so I was wondering if there is something else I'm missing here?

Asking again - Lagombi+ materials, is that from HR5 or 6? Would like to to roughly know where to helping making an armor set.

Anyone have WorryWart from a set? Gloaming set gives it, and need +6 to clear it. Those HR Snow Bunnies are begging to be killed.

Flash Bombs and Traps buy precious time.

Dragon Element Scatter bow (like the Gore one) should allow you to stun it more often but yeah its just a matter of positioning and dodging.

Evade Distance and Hear Protect could go a long way in opening up more opportunities

I was using Khezu Bow III with Thunder Atk +3 and it was getting enraged often. Very tedious.

And yeah, I can imagine Wind Resistance and Earplugs would be amazing against the Rath-family.

Yoooooooo, need revenge on S gore today. The disconnects were ridiculous last night and the stupid thing didn't die despite the fact that I wailed on it for nearly 30 minutes.

Revengeance!

Also, HR7 has a lot of fun monsters we can farm. For real this time:

Teostra
Daora
Deviljho
Akantor (love using a Hammer here)

Filth

Mo bros. I just did every single 4 * quest in the village and nothing else unlocked of told me where to go. How do I unlock 5* ??

I was using Khezu Bow III with Thunder Atk +3 and it was getting enraged often. Very tedious.

And yeah, I can imagine Wind Resistance and Earplugs would be amazing against the Rath-family.

One thing I never consider is exhaust coatings

Could be a viable strategy when combined with traps and flashes.

Its resource intensive but could give you the largest window of attack while limiting rages.

Fandangox

Honestly have had good luck playing with random people online, one group in particular was so good that one of them knocked me out of a wyvern fire that was going to miss, so I wouldn't waste it.

Mo bros. I just did every single 4 * quest in the village and nothing else unlocked of told me where to go. How do I unlock 5* ??

Check the Expeditions. I believe that's when you get the Gore Magala expedition, which is required to advance and will then unlock the Urgent quest.

I think you have to do an Expedition to repel Gore Magala then you should get an urgent to kill one. Might be remembering that wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom