• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, Firestone and especially Gossamite Ore are rare to the point of absurdity. I needed like five to make the Alloy S set and I was lucky to get one per trip to H. Mountain.

That said, got the Ceanataur Head Axe hammer and the full Alloy S set. Upgraded it a bit with some Armor Spheres and I'm doing pretty good now. Got my sights set on the Hermitaur armor next. Should probably jump back into the online quests first though. I'm already a bit OP for HR3.

Full results of that reddit weapon survey

Don't scroll down to "Are there any weapons you DISLIKE seeing another hunter bring along in a hunt?", HawthorneKitty. lol

I was surprised to see how almost nobody considers the light or heavy bowgun their "main".

Well, of course the SnS is underpowered.

Bombs, however, are not, nor are traps.

SnS is mainly a conduit for other things, really. To an SnS user, the sword and shield are a smaller part of the arsenal of tools, so in that sense I guess they are, taken on their own, a bit weak. But they make every other tool at their disposal better.

Plus, you're agile and shit.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have somehow pissed off the God of RNG. 4 tetsucabras and one particularly pain in the ass zamtrios and not a single paddock oil. WHY DON'T YOU WANT ME TO HAVE AN ICE BLADE+?????????

Edit: Finally got it and tested it out on a poor little iodrome. Even though it is strong vs ice, the mission was still under 6mins. I feel that I am one with the longsword now.

ChrisD

Man, why do things have to flee in Expeditions? I much preferred the more casual, laid-back feeling of Moga Woods. You could have a thirty minute fight if you wanted to by interspersing gathering between it. If I wanted to do a quest I would choose a quest. Maybe it's just because I'm tired right now, but I don't think I've been as flustered as I was just now when the "The Monster got away..." message popped.

On a brighter note, I love that they brought back Monoblos. For all intents and purposes, it's just Diablos, but I much prefer his fight for some reason.

Owensboro

I'm starting to get frustrated with this game and I can't really pinpoint why. I've been stuck in this loop of finding something to upgrade, looking up how to get the mats, and then getting discouraged because whatever monster I need is 2 ranks away or I can't hunt it from a regular quest. It doesn't help that I just fought a high rank Khezu for the first time and it took way to long to kill (5 minutes left message popped up) and was a pretty boring fight of cat and mouse with me just waiting until it did two specific attacks. I guess I'm going to have to finally start paying attention to elemental weaknesses.

I need to find something else to shoot for. What's a good high rank set of armor for the Hunting Horn?

Kinsei

Banned
I'm starting to get frustrated with this game and I can't really pinpoint why. I've been stuck in this loop of finding something to upgrade, looking up how to get the mats, and then getting discouraged because whatever monster I need is 2 ranks away or I can't hunt it from a regular quest. It doesn't help that I just fought a high rank Khezu for the first time and it took way to long to kill (5 minutes left message popped up) and was a pretty boring fight of cat and mouse with me just waiting until it did two specific attacks. I guess I'm going to have to finally start paying attention to elemental weaknesses.

I need to find something else to shoot for. What's a good high rank set of armor for the Hunting Horn?

Qurupeco is good.

ChrisD

It's the inverse for me.
I've got like 500k lying around and I never buy anything, just get food.
And I don't sell anything either.

I'm in a perpetual state of being broke because I keep buying armor and weapons I won't even use for a couple dozen hours lol. A visit to the armory always results in the purchase of at least one thing.

Actually kind of enjoy it. Reminds me of when I first started playing Unite. Constantly buying stuff, never having much in the bank. Feeling rich when I have 30k haha.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to say, the Charge Blade is absolutely amazing. The satisfaction I'm getting from this weapon is amazing.

I've always loved the Gunlance and such weapons with a nice big "payoff" mechanic, but this is ridiculous. Juggling the charge and two modes, and all the neat little motions/sounds that accompany everything... just so much fun to use.

I love this game so much. Been a MonHun nut since Freedom, but skipped MH4 as I didn't have a 3DS until recently, but I'm surprised at what a huge leap it's taken. I keep getting blown away. Just fought the Seltas Queen (killing 3 Seltas throughout, haha) and I'm still amazed.

Can't believe I'm having so much fun doing Village quests by myself... Can't wait to get to G-rank and jump online (both with friends and randoms).

Man, Firestone and especially Gossamite Ore are rare to the point of absurdity. I needed like five to make the Alloy S set and I was lucky to get one per trip to H. Mountain.

That said, got the Ceanataur Head Axe hammer and the full Alloy S set. Upgraded it a bit with some Armor Spheres and I'm doing pretty good now. Got my sights set on the Hermitaur armor next. Should probably jump back into the online quests first though. I'm already a bit OP for HR3.
Firestone has eluded my harvest tours for a while now and it makes me sad.

PKrockin

Wow, the "classic" monsters' subspecies are garbage. Is there a single difference between Gypceros and Purple Gypceros? Does Purple Gypceros's poison maybe drain your health a little faster? How about YKK and Blue YKK? Are they literally palette swaps?

Qurupeco is good.
I dunno, a lot of the skill points go toward a Wide Range +2 which isn't great for the horn. I'd get whatever you want that has at least 5 slots so you can gem in Maestro. Monoblos gives Attack Up Large, Adrenaline +1 and has 8 slots, that seems good.

ChrisD

Wow, the "classic" monsters' subspecies are garbage. Is there a single difference between Gypceros and Purple Gypceros? Does Purple Gypceros's poison maybe drain your health a little faster? How about YKK and Blue YKK? Are they literally palette swaps?

Yes, they're mostly pallete swaps with maybe one new move.

You learn to love them just for the different armor colors. Or at least I do since I've fallen into the trap of Fashion Hunter(TM). :p

Riposte

I can't believe Amazon wants me wait until March 12, at the earliest, in order to get this game shipped me. That's madness. The other retailers are selling it for over 10 dollars the normal price.

I dunno, a lot of the skill points go toward a Wide Range +2 which isn't great for the horn. I'd get whatever you want that has at least 5 slots so you can gem in Maestro. Monoblos gives Attack Up Large, Adrenaline +1 and has 8 slots, that seems good.

Purple Gypceros's poison is more potent and he can flash with no warning. Those are the two big differences.

Normal Kut-ku and Blue are pretty much palette swaps though I'm sure there are some minor differences.

But Rathian to Pink Rathian and Rathalos to Azure Rathalos...

those are fairly significant changes. They used to basically be palette swaps in the older games but I'm impressed with what they've done here. Well, I didn't play 3U since I refused to buy a Wii U when I already played Tri (and p3rdG) so maybe they were like that in 3U also.

Kinsei

Banned

Purple Gypceros has better poison, Red Khezu can stretch it's neck while walking, and Black Gravios as a new beam move. Other than them every pre-third gen subspecies I've fought has been just a palette swap. I can't say for certain on Crimson Fatalis since I haven't fought regular Fatalis yet, but I imagine at least the meteors are still exclusive to her.

PKrockin

But Rathian to Pink Rathian and Rathalos to Azure Rathalos...

those are fairly significant changes. They used to basically be palette swaps in the older games but I'm impressed with what they've done here. Well, I didn't play 3U since I refused to buy a Wii U when I already played Tri (and p3rdG) so maybe they were like that in 3U also.
I don't remember about Azure Rathalos but Pink Rathian at least had the triple explosion bite in 3U. All the Rathians and Rathaloses sort of blend together for me and I forget which one does which, especially since I hated fighting them at the time so I avoided them like the plague.

I don't remember about Azure Rathalos but Pink Rathian at least had the triple explosion bite in 3U. All the Rathians and Rathaloses sort of blend together for me and I forget which one does which, especially since I hated fighting them at the time so I avoided them like the plague.

I see. Well, new to me, at least. Did Pink Rathian have the twisting backflip that covers a wider area in 3U?

Scher

I see. Well, new to me, at least. Did Pink Rathian have the twisting backflip that covers a wider area in 3U?

Yeah, pink rathian had the weird flip when she flies up into the air in 3U. I remember the people I was playing with not being very happy about it.

Yeah, pink rathian had the weird flip when she flies up into the air in 3U. I remember the people I was playing with not being very happy about it.

You ready to come back yet, Scher? Same room's still up.Shengar had to go for a bit too, but I'm HR7 now.

I always forget which ones don't poison, so I always bring antidotes.

I think they all poison now. Rathalos/Azure Rathalos inflict it with that homing claw attack.

Even since the very first MH, Rathalos could poison with the kicks. It was just a rarer move and too easy to dodge in the old games.

Although, if you did get hit by it, it was also a guaranteed stun in the old games so it sucked even more. I was surprised the first time Los kicked me in this game; I was already rotating the stick and mashing X to get out of stun, but stun never happened.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I meant to edit this into my previous post and double posted instead. My bad.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Retried Seltas again, and broke the horn this time around...neat! I really wanna get that cool looking Seltas armor, seems like a good goal to set for myself early on.

Until then, I'm hunting Velociprey and Velocidrone. I got my assed kicked by the big one...sigh...I hope I don't hit my "wall" this early in the game. I mean I beat it, eventually, but I died too much for my comfort and it took too long.

I found a Rusted Gun Lance though...what's the meaning of "Rusted"? Are those bad? Good? It says I need to polish it first, where do I do that?

MrPanic

Just beat Black Gravios for the first time. What a terribly boring fight he is. As far as I'm concerned, Gravios is the worst monster in the series.

Juraash

Just did Seregios about 30 minutes ago and holyyyyyy shit. That fight is crazy fun, but it can go south really fast. Fought him 4 times and achieved about a 70% success rate with avoiding the bleed. But man it is terrifying when you get it, he can chain you to death really fast if you're unlucky. Still lots of fun and it the great sword and how made, so I'm happy.

WorldStar

Banned
damn the hr1 urgent quest where you fight Nerscylla is fukin me up

tryin to solo it cuz i cant figure out how do urgent quests in multiplayer

i just wanna move on to hr2 :(

MrPanic

Been struggling with him since yesterday
I just stopped even trying to fight him legit, it's just too unfun. I just grab my insect glaive and spam jump attacks all day. That Black Gravios has way too much health though, mounted him over ten times. 25 minutes of spamming jump attacks ain't fun at all, but that's still more fun than fighting him normally.

It's really a badly designed monster, you can clearly see the signs that he was made with the mount mechanic in mind. Surely they could've designed him in a way that mounting isn't the only way to have fun fighting him. Nope, it's jump or hate your life with him. If they patched him out of this game I wouldn't even be mad.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Gravios is the monster big enough and slow enough for gunners to actually be able to solo from a distance.

Busaiku

Yeesh, Rathalos and Rathian are like exponentially harder than Rathalos or Rathian.
Luckily I managed to keep them separated after abandoning once.

How do I get a Velocidrome Head? I've been fighting and killing them for the better part of two hours now. What am i missing? I've tried hitting just the head, mounting it numerous times, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom