• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoee

It wasn't bad at the time you could first make it. (EDIT: Let me rephrase this. It was actually fucking amazing if you made it as soon as it became available. It was my favorite weapon for a long time.) The problem is it fell WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY behind and couldn't be upgraded until HR7. The only other water charge blade at this point is Schildsect (Seltas Queen), which I upgraded into Schildsect+, but it pales in comparison to Izanami. It feels good to have an amazing water charge blade along with the awesome rare 6 Rathian one for fire.

Congrats! And yeah, GP is love, GP is life. So many free Supers because of it.

I now have every Chargeblade fully upgraded as far as I currently can : Blackguard , Guardsqual+, Axelion Blade and I'm short one Gore Feeler for the Elendskraft.

So it's really "hard" to decide if I want to spend ressources on another one right now. But on the other had , why should I keep it? :D

I now have every Chargeblade fully upgraded as far as I currently can : Blackguard , Guardsqual+, Axelion Blade and I'm short one Gore Feeler for the Elendskraft.

So it's really "hard" to decide if I want to spend ressources on another one right now. But on the other had , why should I keep it? :D

It's definitely a good idea to make all available charge blades, but you may want to make the Dear Lutemis alongside that Axelion Blade. Here's why:

Common misconceptions about Charge Blade:
[...]
3. Thinking Elemental Phials are weak

While a KO phial type weapon is far better for general usage since the combo does the same damage no matter who you are up against and its blasts do the same damage no matter what part of the monster you hit, it is not as strong as using an elemental phial type against a monster that is weak to that element and hitting with precision. Elemental phials require expect play – missing a shot to a monster’s head makes a huge difference.

Let’s look at the Fatalis Charge Blade, which has 576 attack and 410 dragon. Hitting Shagaru Magara in the head with attack 2 deals a whopping 188 damage, while the more powerful Caedus Charge Blade (720 attack) deals only 64 damage. Overall if you land the full 3 attacks on the head you do 350 damage while Caedus does 264 (Shagaru Charge Blade does 293). Even with artillery master, the Caedus charge blade is less (300).

But if you are not very good and you miss the head, you’ll see a huge drop. A full 3 hit combo done to Shagaru’s body (tough as shit) will give you 132 damage while Caesdus Charge Blade does 197 (Shagaru Charge Blade = 181), or 230 with Artillery Master.

In other words, KO phials are kinder to hunters who are not precise and allow you to not have to swap weapons often.

Source: http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/74038704409/mh4-understanding-charge-blade

It's a good idea to read through the whole article.

Edit: And that's another reason Permanence is so good. Great sharpness for quests around its level, and it's element phial. (Schildsect is element also though).

So some mental notes:
- Really need to stop trading blows with (any) monster.
- Find a better spot to blow my CB load (that two-handed slam hurt!)
- Always remember to use Back+X (Super, Super, Super NEVER Ultra!)

Basically spend some time re-learning CB and actually use GP intentionally.

Why no Ultra? Placed well it normally clinches a ko for me and it I stay aggressive charging the shield isn't a problem.
Just letting everyone know: I have claimed this as my avatar. Mine! D:

(http://i.imgur.com/DoZnnX2.png)

Anyone know where you can get this chill kitty outfit?

Why no Ultra? Placed well it normally clinches a ko for me and it I stay aggressive charging the shield isn't a problem.

The damage potential of multiple supers with red shield's 20% damage boost is greater than an ultra, plus you get to keep the improved guard of red shield, and you stack more damage with each guard point with red shield. If you're using impact, nothing is more satisfying than KO'ing a monster midcharge because they crashed headfirst into a red shield guard point. I've KO'ed Shagaru out of the air when it did its aerial charge doing this.

Filth

So I finished all 4 * quests. Can't find any yellow quest bubbles. Was told to due expeditions. I did about 10 expeditions. A guild quest to kill kut ku. I can't figure out how to get the 5 * quests :(. Bunch of people said do expeditions and I spent the time playing yesterday doing a lot. I got nothing. Helpppppp

deim0s

Just a preference. I could fire off more of it than spend it all in one shot. KO'ing the monster I could roughly do two(?) more bursts before it comes to.

Edit: @AmethystEnd explained it in better detail.

JimPanzer

The damage potential of multiple supers with red shield's 20% damage boost is greater than an ultra, plus you get to keep the improved guard of red shield, and you stack more damage with each guard point with red shield. If you're using impact, nothing is more satisfying than KO'ing a monster midcharge because they crashed headfirst into a red shield guard point. I've KO'ed Shagaru out of the air when it did its aerial charge doing this.

when's the exact moment to hold back+X, sometimes I seem to miss it and blow an ultra

ChuckNyce

Aww yeah got a full set of Jaggi armour, am I pro now?

Congrats, all about dat Tetsucabra tho!

images

PKrockin

Somebody keep me away from Gaijin Hunter's videos, every time I watch another tutorial of his out of curiosity I want to try a new weapon.

There are a million HBG shot types out there, how do I know which to use and when? Can anyone tell me some rules of thumb or know a good starting guide?

So I finished all 4 * quests. Can't find any yellow quest bubbles. Was told to due expeditions. I did about 10 expeditions. A guild quest to kill kut ku. I can't figure out how to get the 5 * quests :(. Bunch of people said do expeditions and I spent the time playing yesterday doing a lot. I got nothing. Helpppppp
What does the Caravaneer say?

So you've checked every town you have access to for yellow quest bubbles?

when's the exact moment to hold back+X, sometimes I seem to miss it and blow an ultra

It's not precise. I literally hold back on the control stick and spam X until the super goes off from the moment I trigger the ultra.

What might be happening to you is that the motion is relative to your camera position. So if you're facing the camera, instead of back and X, you'd need forward and X. Or facing diagonally forward to the right, you'd need diagonally back and to the left, etc.

Edit: Note that this camera relativity thing is secondhand information. I'm not sure about it. What I am sure about is that I never HOLD back and X. I hold back, and mash X.

JimPanzer

What might be happening to you is that the motion is relative to your camera position. So if you're facing the camera, instead of back and X, you'd need forward and X. Or facing diagonally forward to the right, you'd need diagonally back and to the left, etc.

that should not happen with orientation type 2, right?

anyone up for some G-rank 3?

Leezard

Try visiting the Grand Guru in Cathar, he's in a cave which has an entrance near the melder guy.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member

It's not precise. I literally hold back on the control stick and spam X until the super goes off from the moment I trigger the ultra.

Edit: Note that this camera relativity thing is secondhand information. I'm not sure about it. What I am sure about is that I never HOLD back and X. I hold back, and mash X.

From what I've tested, it's definitely relative to the direction the character is facing. I still accidentally use the ultra instead of the super sometimes, even though I'm pretty sure I'm moving the circle pad in the correct direction. Maybe I should start mashing X instead of holding it, as you said.

*edit* Ok, with orientation type 2 simply holding back and mashing X seems to work perfectly.

MH4U and Smash take up the OS's reserved CPU power, so it can't access Miiverse or a few other functions while those games are active. The system even reboots when you exit the game to free the memory again.

Ah, interesting. Sorry I can't help with your HBG question. I haven't gunned since MHF1, and even then it was only during Fatalis farms with Chronos Grenade since it was easy mode.

You better never try to taste Akantor's roar lol

I got killed by that after you left. I was at full health, but I was standing on lava whacking its tail, and I guess the lava got my health low enough that the roar finished me off all at once.

Was embarrassing.

Edit: Welp. Looks like all my classes are canceled due to a ridiculous amount of snow. Let's go for 24 straight hours of Monster Hunter.

bobohoro

You're missing the Nescylla one, which is pretty awesome and gives the most sharpness and some pretty handy poison. I find status attacks with the CB really helpful, since you will charge up your phials with fast sword attacks early on and by the time you switch to axe mode you'll likely have inflicted the ailment already.

I think I have around 10 different CBs in my inventory at the moment and I'm not even at G-Rank yet.

On the other hand the game seems to want me to play GS, since I got several Vulcanes, time-worn and rusted Ones sitting in my armoury from mining.

Filth

So you've checked every town you have access to for yellow quest bubbles?

I visited every city. Even the cat one. I see no yellow bubbles and I've done s ton of expeditions. I didn't complete all quests in 1-2-3 * but I did finish every single 4* :(

I visited every city. Even the cat one. I see no yellow bubbles and I've done s ton of expeditions. I didn't complete all quests in 1-2-3 * but I did finish every single 4* :(

I'm looking into this further, but for now, tell us what the Caravaneer says when you talk to him.

So I've had a long and crappy day at work.

Time to jump into some hunting. You guys around and good for HR7?

I'm here. I'll hunt whatever for however long, since all classes are canceled today. I've got the Dalamadur urgent up, but I'm down for anything.

Edit: I need about 10 minutes though. I'm unpacking (I moved into this apartment 2 months ago and I'm just now finishing unpacking).

Shengar

I got killed by that after you left. I was at full health, but I was standing on lava whacking its tail, and I guess the lava got my health low enough that the roar finished me off all at once.

Was embarrassing.

Edit: Welp. Looks like all my classes are canceled due to a ridiculous amount of snow. Let's go for 24 straight hours of Monster Hunter.
I was like "wtf just happened" when I saw the damage. Always raise my shield whenever Akantor stand up lol

Let's find more people and whack Dalamadur's head together then.

I'm not really sure about this, but have you checked villager request on Wycoon's menu? What I remember is that the urgent 4 Star to 5 Star Caravan quest is defeating Gore Magala. This quest began with a special mission where you have to rescue Ace Cadet and Ace Lancer from the disastrous mission on hunting the Gore Magala.

ramyeon

I'm here. I'll hunt whatever for however long, since all classes are canceled today. I've got the Dalamadur urgent up, but I'm down for anything.

Edit: I need about 10 minutes though. I'm unpacking (I moved into this apartment 2 months ago and I'm just now finishing unpacking).
Haha no worries, I know that feeling. I'm still partly living out of a suitcase here and I'll soon be packing it all up to head back home anyway haha.

Let me know when you're good to go, anyone else keen?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Oof, just spent some odd hours farming a G rank Gore Magala for a mantle; never got it, but at least I got the quest myself now.

tuffy

There are a million HBG shot types out there, how do I know which to use and when? Can anyone tell me some rules of thumb or know a good starting guide?
Physical shots break down into normal shots, pellet shots and pierce shots.

Normal shots are a standard shot that hits the target and does damage to that hitzone. You can carry an infinite number of normal lv. 1 but they're only half-strength, so they're pretty much worthless outside of small monster hunting. Normal lv. 2 is your standard full-strength shot. Normal lv. 3 hits the target and fragments, possibly ricocheting along the monster for more damage. It out-damages normal lv. 2 if even one ricochet hits, but using normal lv. 3 well requires looking for good ricochet zones (like under Rathian's wings). All the normal shots are recoil-less and should be fired from as close as you can get.

Pellet shots fire out like a shotgun blast with pellet lv. 2 and 3 achieving more hits. They're especially good for small bouncy targets like Great Jaggi, or for targets with "pellet magnet" hitzones like Zinogre's horn. Higher levels of pellet pack more recoil and should be fired from slightly farther back to ensure you get a lot of pellet hits. Pellet is also liable to flinch any blademaster folks in its cone of damage, so use with caution in multiplayer.

Pierce shots fire straight through the target and out the other side. Pierce lv. 2 and 3 damage more hitzones as they pass through but do less damage per hitzone, so they're best suited to progressively larger (or longer) targets. Pierce shots pack a lot of recoil and should be fired from 2-3 rolls back to be in optimal range.

Element shots do elemental damage to a single hitzone. They're recoil-less and as long as you hit the target at all, they'll do full damage no matter the range. Dragon shot is a bit of a special case, though. That works like a pierce shot and packs a big recoil.

Crag shots hit the target, stick to it, and then explode a moment later like a barrel bomb. Enough crag shots can KO the monster, but LBGers are a bit better at that. Damage is independent of your weapon's attack power, is range-independent and packs a big recoil.

Clust shots hit the target, rain down several little bomblets, and then all those bomblets explode like little barrel bombs. Damage is also independent of your weapon's attack power. These are also liable to blast any of your blademaster pals all around the map if they're anywhere near the target.

The various status shots inflict status on the monster, with status 2 shots packing more status (and also more recoil) than status 1. Best suited to LBGers who can rapid-fire them at an incredible rate.

Paint shots and tranq shots work like paintballs and tranq bombs, but have an enormous effective range.

Anyway, hopefully that's a decent-enough overview. It's early and I'm just going by memory, but I think that just about covers it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom