• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

I just stopped even trying to fight him legit, it's just too unfun. I just grab my insect glaive and spam jump attacks all day. That Black Gravios has way too much health though, mounted him over ten times. 25 minutes of spamming jump attacks ain't fun at all, but that's still more fun than fighting him normally.

It's really a badly designed monster, you can clearly see the signs that he was made with the mount mechanic in mind. Surely they could've designed him in a way that mounting isn't the only way to have fun fighting him. Nope, it's jump or hate your life with him. If they patched him out of this game I wouldn't even be mad.

I use the switch axe and never ever mount. even when on higher ground because my weapon takes time sheathing and unsheathing. I prefer whacking more. I am done for today trying to kill him. Made me really sleepy. I might ask for some party members here since randoms just leave.

Exuro

Beat shagaru magala and unlocked high rank. Kind of odd that High rank is 7 and the only rank 6 quest I did was fighting the crab, which unlocked 7. Whats with that?

Cerity

How do I get a Velocidrome Head? I've been fighting and killing them for the better part of two hours now. What am i missing? I've tried hitting just the head, mounting it numerous times, etc.

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/item/velocidrome-head

3vmWdrh.png

so yeah, start capturing and breaking heads.

MrPanic

How do I get a Velocidrome Head? I've been fighting and killing them for the better part of two hours now. What am i missing? I've tried hitting just the head, mounting it numerous times, etc.
It's a rare drop. Breaking its head is your best chance but it's still a low chance. If you're on low rank you might wanna try capturing it, on high rank you're better of killing it.

Advise based on http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/monster/velocidrome

PKrockin

Sweet, I got a Guard +5 talisman with two slots. Now with HR Hermitaur armor I've got Defense Up Small and Guard +2 with 9 unused slots not counting weapon slots. Let the analysis paralysis begin.

Kard8p3

oh man. I think I'm in love. I use to gun so much in Tri, I remember me and a friend could down Jho in <12 mins(I don't even think that's impressive, is it?) and I forgot all about it until I decided to try HBG. Shit is hella tight. I just wish my CPP would hurry up and come in the mail :(

Question. If you're fighting brachy and you haven't broken his arms but he's limping should you go for the cap to get them hammers? (Or pounders)

tm24

So whats a great gunner/blade set to aim for? Im currently using a mix of velocidrome/kut ku and its great so far, even though its ugly as fuck

Also, fuck najarala

MrPanic

I use the switch axe and never ever mount. even when on higher ground because my weapon takes time sheathing and unsheathing. I prefer whacking more. I am done for today trying to kill him. Made me really sleepy. I might ask for some party members here since randoms just leave.
Believe me when I say I'm not a fan of mounting either. Even though I use the IG regularly I barely use it to mount unless I'm trying to get certain monsters out of their rage mode, I rather stay on the ground and whack them just like you. I'm just making an exception for Gravios (and basarios) to adapt that spammy playstyle just because they're so obviously weak to it and aren't fun to fight either way. I've tried a bunch of weapons on Gravios and the fight stays boring with all of them, so I'd just rather opt to kill him quickly so I can get to the fun monsters again than waste my time on him because I want to play in a particular way.

Don't mind me though, I just hate Gravios a lot.

Meffer

Spent HOURS fighting Zinogre breaking all his parts and cutting the tail and STILL NO GODDAMN PLATE. I fucking swear the drop rate for some things is WAY too low. I'm giving up for the night.

Tenbatsu

Spent HOURS fighting Zinogre breaking all his parts and cutting the tail and STILL NO GODDAMN PLATE. I fucking swear the drop rate for some things is WAY too low. I'm giving up for the night.
Just go into the hunt pretending that you don't need one and you will get it. Trust me on this ;)

You don't need his plate. That's what I say every rath fight and sometimes it works.

NewGame

Banned
Spent HOURS fighting Zinogre breaking all his parts and cutting the tail and STILL NO ~~~~ PLATE. I ~~~~ swear the drop rate for some things is WAY too low. I'm giving up for the night.

Turn off the game

Set the date about a week or so ahead

when you start the game, do not go look at any Zingore armors or weapons- in fact don't go to the armoury at all

Go online and join someone elses Zinogre party (so you don't have to post the quest)

hug poogie

slay zinogre

get plate

100% desire sensor free.

PKrockin

I don't ever spend hours fighting the same monster even if I need a certain plate/gem for something. I fight it a few times, fight something else that drops parts I want, then take a break. Right now I could use some Shagaru, Seltas, Tigrex, Rathian, Rathalos, E. Congalala, Garuga, Kecha, or Zamtrios parts to upgrade various weapons I have.

btw i have 3 zinogre plates in 3 kills and 1 cap :^)

Leezard

Turn off the game

Set the date about a week or so ahead

when you start the game, do not go look at any Zingore armors or weapons- in fact don't go to the armoury at all

Go online and join someone elses Zinogre party (so you don't have to post the quest)

hug poogie

slay zinogre

get plate

100% desire sensor free.
I hunted my first HR Zinogre in the caravan right now. I get a Jasper on the first carve and I didn't even want it. Your method should work perfectly.

edit: and a plate in the quest rewards, god bless the desire sensor

ramyeon

I don't ever spend hours fighting the same monster even if I need a certain plate/gem for something. I fight it a few times, fight something else that drops parts I want, then take a break.
This is how I have always felt like I should play MonHun, but never how it ends up working out for me in reality.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Ah finally built my azure rathalos set.

I got 4 plates and 4 rubies before I saw the last tail, seriously weird stuff.

I love this set because it lets me play around with basically any weapon I feel like using. Gonna go try out the seltas dual blades for a bit, they look like such a good time.

Then later i'll probably try and gem in artillery with one of these talismans I have and try out a gun lance.

Then I'll finally use that switch axe I put together that's jut been collecting dust

So many possibilities!

PKrockin

This is how I have always felt like I should play MonHun, but never how it ends up working out for me in reality.
Personally after the third time hunting the same monster in a row it just gets really really boring and the last thing I want to do is fight it again.

So i've always wondered, what are the books in the shop for? I know the Book of Combos increases your combination rate but what about the monster books like Bird Wyverns Vol 1. or Gore Magala book. Are they used for anything?

Madouu

So i've always wondered, what are the books in the shop for? I know the Book of Combos increases your combination rate but what about the monster books like Bird Wyverns Vol 1. or Gore Magala book. Are they used for anything?

As far as I know, they fill up the monster info in your hunter's notes (menu)

I'll start the real high rank quests later, just so preoccupied trying to get weapons because I realized that I don't have enough of them.

VandalD

If you guys are still playing in say..50 mins let me know, I'm in a dota match but I'd love to party up since I've yet to do so.

edit: also i have no idea how to join a room or anything, so if someone would be nice enough to explain that would be awesome :)
Tap World Map, then hit Solo/Multiplayer, Online Multiplayer, Find a Gathering Hall, then enter the Gathering Hall ID. Or you can leave that blank to search random groups.
Room Made. Passcode is 4371
Need your gathering hall ID too.

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/item/velocidrome-head

3vmWdrh.png

so yeah, start capturing and breaking heads.

Seems legit.

I get heads pretty reg and I use a hammer on those coked out bird like monsters cause they're just asking for a head pounding.

Anyone ever break off all the rocks from the hr spider? I did the quest where you have to kill 2 of them and after a pounding it ran off. I followed it and ... WOOOHH! That damn thing was naked and looked like a reg spider!

Had to go ham and kill it asap cause that thing was creeping me OUT!

PKrockin

Seems legit.

I get heads pretty reg and I use a hammer on those coked out bird like monsters cause they're just asking for a head pounding.

Anyone ever break off all the rocks from the hr spider? I did the quest where you have to kill 2 of them and after a pounding it ran off. I followed it and ... WOOOHH! That damn thing was naked and looked like a reg spider!

You can break that? It actually looks like Gypceros hide or something.

Cerity

Seems legit.

different drops rates. Gypceros head has a 30% chance to drop if you break it's head.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/item/gypceros-head

And yeah, it's actually white underneath it all. Explains the colour of the armour and weapons.

Caved in and made the Regios X; any recommendations to gem in?
If you have an evasion talisman or handicraft talisman, maybe that. I have a 3 socket stun+12, so I went with AuM (3x3soc Atk deco) and negate stun. When I use a weapon with a socket I'll gem out slow sharpener.
In the process of doing Seregios 4 times for everyone's urgent, I got 4 dissenters and 3 lenses so I figured I'd make the armor.

I like it. Not bouncing is awesome, I like the extended wyvern dodge, and it's just all around better than my old Velociprey X.

Awesome string hunts, Shengar, Scher, and Jockey.

We all have our Dalamadur urgents up now, but unfortunately, we had to quit for the moment.

However, I do have this sexy, sexy thing to show for all our work.

zlCfzTDdHiYwvxe6VU

NO MORE "PERMANENCE". FUCKING FINALLY.

Do I unlock more armor pigments later in the game, aside from the black, red, etc?
Or do I buy them?

If it's like the previous games, then high rank armor, you only get set colors, but absolute endgame tier armor will have like a color slider like the game had when you were picking hair color, and you can basically do whatever color you want.

Hedge

If it's like the previous games, then high rank armor, you only get set colors, but absolute endgame tier armor will have like a color slider like the game had when you were picking hair color, and you can basically do whatever color you want.

I see, thank you!

deoee

Awesome string hunts, Shengar, Scher, and Jockey.

We all have our Dalamadur urgents up now, but unfortunately, we had to quit for the moment.

However, I do have this sexy, sexy thing to show for all our work.

zlCfzTDdHiYwvxe6VU

NO MORE "PERMANENCE". FUCKING FINALLY.

Was the weapon that bad?

I have got one Earthgem to spend but can't decide what on :-(

deim0s

Ok, reached HR7 solo! That S. Magala fight is crazy but good! Carting twice is not too bad:

7MfRdAll.jpg

When I got out of basecamp the second time it took one draw slash and a shield thrust! :/

So some mental notes:
- Really need to stop trading blows with (any) monster.
- Find a better spot to blow my CB load (that two-handed slam hurt!)
- Always remember to use Back+X (Super, Super, Super NEVER Ultra!)

Basically spend some time re-learning CB and actually use GP intentionally.

Was the weapon that bad?

I have got one Earthgem to spend but can't decide what on :-(

It wasn't bad at the time you could first make it. (EDIT: Let me rephrase this. It was actually fucking amazing if you made it as soon as it became available. It was my favorite weapon for a long time.) The problem is it fell WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY behind and couldn't be upgraded until HR7. The only other water charge blade at this point is Schildsect (Seltas Queen), which I upgraded into Schildsect+, but it pales in comparison to Izanami. It feels good to have an amazing water charge blade along with the awesome rare 6 Rathian one for fire.

Ok, reached HR7 solo!

[Snip]

So some mental notes:
- Really need to stop trading blows with (any) monster.
- Find a better spot to blow my CB load (that two-handed slam hurt!)
- Always remember to use Back+X (Super, Super, Super NEVER Ultra!)

Basically spend some time re-learning CB and actually use GP intentionally.

Congrats! And yeah, GP is love, GP is life. So many free Supers because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom