• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerity

Been trying out the bow but using it on maps with inclines and declines is nothing but infuriating. Monster shuffles down or up hill a slight amount, your attack misses and you need to go into 'quick' aiming mode to actually hit them. It really should just correspond to the vertical angle of the camera and the quick aiming mode for more precise shooting.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone else using Lance? I'm trying to "take it to the next level", but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to improve. I can take out really simple monsters like G Jaggi, Tetsucabra, Kecha, etc. But once I start trying to tackle harder monsters, I seem to run into issues. I get stuck under them, never find a good opening to attack, etc.

Tips?

Same question for Switch Axe. I can deal with more basic monsters, but as soon as they become "harder", I find myself take way more damage than I should.

Raide

Been trying out the bow but using it on maps with inclines and declines is nothing but infuriating. Monster shuffles down or up hill a slight amount, your attack misses and you need to go into 'quick' aiming mode to actually hit them. It really should just correspond to the vertical angle of the camera and the quick aiming mode for more precise shooting.

Yes it can be a bit annoying. After a while, you do adjust to it and keep yourself moving around the target to get the best angle. Since you need a certain distance away from the target for maximum damage potential, you should be able to manually hit the target, even if its off-screen. Can be tricky to do.

I do wish there was a touch of auto-aim for bows etc. The manual aiming is really cumbersome when you need to use it mid battle.

What do you guys reccomend as a high rank blademaster armor? It's time to get rid of my gore armor, been playing with it far too long because it just looks so badass.

Shengar

1 azure rathalos - 2 mantle, 3 ruby. wtf.

wtf
Did someone just hexed you or something? o_O

What do you guys reccomend as a high rank blademaster armor? It's time to get rid of my gore armor, been playing with it far too long because it just looks so badass.

Rath Soul armor
Pretty flexible armor set for any blademaster weapon. Kinda hard toi built due to its two rathalos ruby requirement, but it could carry through High Rank to early G Rank.

Kinsei

Banned

Caravan or guild hall? If caravan I recommend Mono S and if guild hall I recommend Tigrex S. Monoblos is only in the caravan quests which is why I'm asking.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is the Hermitaur armor any good for HR Caravan? Its defense numbers are ridiculously high, but skill-wise it seems a bit lacking (save for the obvious Defense Up skill). I'm running Alloy S right now and it's pretty good, but I'd like to have something in mind for my next set.

Mupod

can finally get some quality hunting in later tonight. Hoping to find someone to casually work through HR4 and above. I'm pretty far into 9* caravan so I could solo it but relaxing 2-3 person hunts sound good about now.

How do I get more Wystones? I keep seeing quests to suppress monster frenzy but I don't have a wystone capable of that. Just the damage bonus one...and to be honest I'd rather just keep using that. Damage bonus + intentionally getting the virus is awesome. That poor Rathalos got obliterated.

Caravan or guild hall? If caravan I recommend Mono S and if guild hall I recommend Tigrex S. Monoblos is only in the caravan quests which is why I'm asking.
I need something for both. Monoblos high rank solo was a bit too hard with my current set to farm it, I guess I'm going for Tigrex S (dat MHF nostalgia) and later Rathalos, as Shengar suggested. Thank you both!

Anura

Anyone else using Lance? I'm trying to "take it to the next level", but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to improve. I can take out really simple monsters like G Jaggi, Tetsucabra, Kecha, etc. But once I start trying to tackle harder monsters, I seem to run into issues. I get stuck under them, never find a good opening to attack, etc.

Tips?

Same question for Switch Axe. I can deal with more basic monsters, but as soon as they become "harder", I find myself take way more damage than I should.

What monsters are you stuck on? Some monsters like the spider get wrecked by a lancer underneath them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What monsters are you stuck on? Some monsters like the spider get wrecked by a lancer underneath them.

4* Caravan stuff. Khezu, Najarala, Tigrex, etc. Nerscylla isn't bad for Lance since there aren't many "fast" attacks to worry about (except sleep gas or whatever...that sucks).

wwm0nkey

We might be getting this apparently

DoZnnX2.png

Kandinsky

First time using Bow in Monster Hunter (always been a Hammer/Long and Great Sword user) and I'm having a blast, I also love the look of Gunner sets <3.

Tom_Cody

I'm a beginner to the series and I'm purely loving the bow so far.

I personally use the aim on virtually every shot. Damage varies with distance and body part so, especially since coatings are limited, I always want to make sure that every arrow I fire lands and inflicts maximum damage.

Also, I have only used Arc Shot bows thus far, so the visual representation that aiming provides for the impact zone is invaluable.

The only time I don't use the aim is if the monster's movement puts me in an non-optimal position and I hastily choose to let the arrow fly instead of resetting with an evade.

Ulgh. I cannot get Najarala's Chilling Beak or Marrow. I break this bastard's face, back and tail everytime. I usually pull off two mounts and never get any shiny drops or anything other than shells, fangs and sacs.

Kiranico says these are both rare drops (3-8%); I get that. Every other monster has a shiny drop whenever I mount. Why won't Najalara? If I'm going only for a head drop (like the beak), does it hurt my chances to break other parts of him?

Also, this is my first MH, but man, this game has it's hooks in me. The first time I faced this snake, I carted twice and used like 5 potions. Now I'm down to one potion maybe. I fought him like 3 times last night. The last time I forget to sharpen my blade, so I actually used a whetstone while he was coiling around me. I finished and then rolled out as he tried to clamp down. Felt like such a badass.

PKrockin

Physical shots break down into normal shots, pellet shots and pierce shots.

Normal shots are a standard shot that hits the target and does damage to that hitzone. You can carry an infinite number of normal lv. 1 but they're only half-strength, so they're pretty much worthless outside of small monster hunting. Normal lv. 2 is your standard full-strength shot. Normal lv. 3 hits the target and fragments, possibly ricocheting along the monster for more damage. It out-damages normal lv. 2 if even one ricochet hits, but using normal lv. 3 well requires looking for good ricochet zones (like under Rathian's wings). All the normal shots are recoil-less and should be fired from as close as you can get.

Pellet shots fire out like a shotgun blast with pellet lv. 2 and 3 achieving more hits. They're especially good for small bouncy targets like Great Jaggi, or for targets with "pellet magnet" hitzones like Zinogre's horn. Higher levels of pellet pack more recoil and should be fired from slightly farther back to ensure you get a lot of pellet hits. Pellet is also liable to flinch any blademaster folks in its cone of damage, so use with caution in multiplayer.

Pierce shots fire straight through the target and out the other side. Pierce lv. 2 and 3 damage more hitzones as they pass through but do less damage per hitzone, so they're best suited to progressively larger (or longer) targets. Pierce shots pack a lot of recoil and should be fired from 2-3 rolls back to be in optimal range.

Element shots do elemental damage to a single hitzone. They're recoil-less and as long as you hit the target at all, they'll do full damage no matter the range. Dragon shot is a bit of a special case, though. That works like a pierce shot and packs a big recoil.

Crag shots hit the target, stick to it, and then explode a moment later like a barrel bomb. Enough crag shots can KO the monster, but LBGers are a bit better at that. Damage is independent of your weapon's attack power, is range-independent and packs a big recoil.

Clust shots hit the target, rain down several little bomblets, and then all those bomblets explode like little barrel bombs. Damage is also independent of your weapon's attack power. These are also liable to blast any of your blademaster pals all around the map if they're anywhere near the target.

The various status shots inflict status on the monster, with status 2 shots packing more status (and also more recoil) than status 1. Best suited to LBGers who can rapid-fire them at an incredible rate.

Paint shots and tranq shots work like paintballs and tranq bombs, but have an enormous effective range.

Anyway, hopefully that's a decent-enough overview. It's early and I'm just going by memory, but I think that just about covers it.
Thanks for the big write up.I kind of get what they all do now, my only question is, assuming I stick with Normal Lv2/3 for smaller monsters, Pierce Lv2/3 for big ones, and elemental for element-weak monsters, when are the weird ones like Crag, Cluster, and Exhaust useful?

Tips?
Guard +2 will make your life so much easier. You're not really getting "stuck" under monsters when whatever they can do to hit you can be countered with a minor stamina loss, no health loss, and no pushback. It won't be so much looking for openings as it will be poking it until it attacks, countering it, and continuing the stabby times. Khezu doing his stationary shockwave? Guard advance into it. Tigrex triple charging? Block all of them. Monoblos hipchecks? Counter, backhop for positioning, keep stabbing him. Just remember you can't counter after the third stab in a combo, so don't get too stab happy in the moment right before a monster attacks you.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ulgh. I cannot get Najarala's Chilling Beak or Marrow. I break this bastard's face, back and tail everytime. I usually pull off two mounts and never get any shiny drops or anything other than shells, fangs and sacs.

Kiranico says these are both rare drops (3-8%); I get that. Every other monster has a shiny drop whenever I mount. Why won't Najalara? If I'm going only for a head drop (like the beak), does it hurt my chances to break other parts of him?

Also, this is my first MH, but man, this game has it's hooks in me. The first time I faced this snake, I carted twice and used like 5 potions. Now I'm down to one potion maybe. I fought him like 3 times last night. The last time I forget to sharpen my blade, so I actually used a whetstone while he was coiling around me. I finished and then rolled out as he tried to clamp down. Felt like such a badass.
Get tranquilzr ability and capture it at the end to improve your odds. Plesioth is a good armor for it and has enough slots to make gems to get para immunity.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for the big write up.I kind of get what they all do now, my only question is, assuming I stick with Normal Lv2/3 for smaller monsters, Pierce Lv2/3 for big ones, and elemental for element-weak monsters, when are the weird ones like Crag, Cluster, and Exhaust useful?

Guard +2 will make your life so much easier. You're not really getting "stuck" under monsters when whatever they can do to hit you can be countered with a minor stamina loss, no health loss, and no pushback. It won't be so much looking for openings as it will be poking it until it attacks, countering it, and continuing the stabby times. Khezu doing his stationary shockwave? Guard advance into it. Tigrex triple charging? Block all of them. Monoblos hipchecks? Counter, backhop for positioning, keep stabbing him. Just remember you can't counter after the third stab in a combo, so don't get too stab happy in the moment right before a monster attacks you.

I'm actually one piece away from Guard +1 (I need a Gypceros head to get the Barroth Scalp to make my Barroth chest piece). After that, I can work on gemming for Guard +2.

Thanks for the tips. :)

finally got to High Rank on both multiplayer and singleplayer. Always feels great to get armour sets with decent skills and generous amounts of gem slots.

wwm0nkey

how do you know it's coming?

Its going to go out via event quest in Japan. I say might because I saw some people say the item name was translated to English on some site, so its a possibility.

Its also not a JoJo crossover, its a style....just clear as day JoJo inspired style lol

Guys help me. I don't understand how breaking works. I can't find a guide anywhere. I need tetsucabra tusks, but don't understand how I break certain parts, ie jaw. Do I have to stun and calture? What exactly do I have to do?

wiibomb

Its going to go out via event quest in Japan. I say might because I saw some people say the item name was translated to English on some site, so its a possibility.

Its also not a JoJo crossover, its a style....just clear as day JoJo inspired style lol

oh I thought it was exactly from JoJo,.. well I'm happy to see it's coming, the translated name is proof enough

wiibomb

Guys help me. I don't understand how breaking works. I can't find a guide anywhere. I need tetsucabra tusks, but don't understand how I break certain parts, ie jaw. Do I have to stun and calture? What exactly do I have to do?

hit them until they break, that's the only rule, same with almost everything, there are very few exception, like the Teostra head...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom