• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

Guys help me. I don't understand how breaking works. I can't find a guide anywhere. I need tetsucabra tusks, but don't understand how I break certain parts, ie jaw. Do I have to stun and calture? What exactly do I have to do?

hit them until they break, that's the only rule, same with almost everything, there are very few exception, like the Teostra head...

Tetsucabra tusks break with simple damage to them. Other parts require specific conditions, like 'cutting' tails.
do I have to use a certain weapon to break a jaw?
I use bow I also used Great Sword in the demo. I've never had trouble breaking his tusks with either.

Some monster drops in 4U seem to be linked to mounting, so I would throw that into the mix as well if you don't mount.

tuffy

Thanks for the big write up.I kind of get what they all do now, my only question is, assuming I stick with Normal Lv2/3 for smaller monsters, Pierce Lv2/3 for big ones, and elemental for element-weak monsters, when are the weird ones like Crag, Cluster, and Exhaust useful?
Crag is good for KOs. Just pump a bunch of them into a monster's face and down he'll go. Both crag and clust are also good for part breaking or the occasional monster that doesn't have good shot hitzones. They're pretty situational though, and usually an LBGer's forte instead.

Exhaust shot supposedly drains the monster's stamina faster and might cause a KO if you hit it in the head. It's hardly ever useful.

Slicing shot does slicing damage and may be used to cut off tails if you're really desperate - since it takes quite a lot of shots to actually cut off a tail.

Blast shots probably still work like slime shots. Build up enough blast and there's a barrel bomb-style explosion. Might as well stick to crag and clust, though.

Wyvern Fire offers a Gunlance-style explosive shot at point-blank range for limiter-off HBGs. Haven't tried this one yet in 4 Ultimate, but I suspect it's still not very practical.

I think that just about covers it for all the oddball shots. HBGs generally stick to the physical shots since the amount of elemental or status shots you can carry is not very large and it doesn't have the ammo multiplication power of LBGs rapid-fire. So it's usually a matter of choosing between normal, pierce or pellet for much of the hunt.

wiibomb

Slightly different back, but yup.
46478336ad.jpg

that's amazing, that's pretty much confirmed for me...

Get tranquilzr ability and capture it at the end to improve your odds. Plesioth is a good armor for it and has enough slots to make gems to get para immunity.

Is the tranquilzr ability different or better than the normal "weaken monster, trap, tranq bomb x3" method?

Kazerei

Banned
Does anyone have G rank Gore Magala? I need parts from the regular one, and it looks like my only options are Guild Quests or wait/pray for DLC.

Slicing shot does slicing damage and may be used to cut off tails if you're really desperate - since it takes quite a lot of shots to actually cut off a tail.

Slicing shot is really only useful if you're Rapid Firing it with a LBG. Even then, you have to hit every one of them just right or else you'll run out of ammo - it does small damage and takes forever.

wiibomb

Tetsucabra tusks break with simple damage to them. Other parts require specific conditions, like 'cutting' tails.

yeah, I was talking mostly about heads and other parts except tails

I can only think about tails, but most tails require cutting damage, and that's it, all the other parts break from simple damage, except very few exceptions like the rajang tail or the Teostra crown need to be damaged with specific elements

Berordn

yeah, I was talking mostly about heads and other parts except tails

I can only think about tails, but most tails require cutting damage, and that's it, all the other parts break from simple damage, except very few exceptions like the rajang tail or the Teostra crown need to be damaged with specific elements

Don't shells need to be broken with blunt hits?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This game is so stingy with handsome scrap. So much fishing and adventuring just to scrape together a decent full outfit and weapon for both my cats.

This game is so stingy with handsome scrap. So much fishing and adventuring just to scrape together a decent full outfit and weapon for both my cats.

Seriously. Handsome Scrap+, too. I've been sitting on like, quadruple what I need to make the highest def armor available for my cat, but I'm missing 2 handsome scrap+s.

Kinsei

Banned
can finally get some quality hunting in later tonight. Hoping to find someone to casually work through HR4 and above. I'm pretty far into 9* caravan so I could solo it but relaxing 2-3 person hunts sound good about now.

How do I get more Wystones? I keep seeing quests to suppress monster frenzy but I don't have a wystone capable of that. Just the damage bonus one...and to be honest I'd rather just keep using that. Damage bonus + intentionally getting the virus is awesome. That poor Rathalos got obliterated.

All wystones suppress the frenzy, they're just letting you know the secondary ability.

R0ckman

Has monster's spamming attacks always been a problem in the series? Playing MH3U, I don't remember it being THIS bad. Monsters are usually always obsessed with me in this one, when in MH3U I felt that the monsters actually did attack Cha-Cha and and Kayamba a fair amount of time too. They very rarely give a damn about the felynes.

Alric

do I have to use a certain weapon to breal a jaw?

Impact weapons like the hammer work well on certain types like the jaw. It depends, is your weapon constantly bouncing off the part you are trying to break? The other thing is using a trap to bring them down and setting up barrell bombs next to the part and letting them do massive damage to break it. There is also hitting their legs enough that they trip and then attack the part. If your weapon bounces too much it needs to be either a higher grade sharpness or use something like the sword version of the Switch Axe that doesn't bounce.

Mupod

All wystones suppress the frenzy, they're just letting you know the secondary ability.

I think my problem is that I killed the monsters too quickly without enough Wystone usage then. I've only tried it on two hunts and I didn't know the wystone regenerated in the first one. The second was that rathalos/seltas queen duo quest and they have half hp.

Maybe I can try it with the damage reduction stone since it has a much longer duration. I've got a Deviljho up next and I don't have as much experience gunning him as I do Brachy (who lasted like 7 minutes).

Dice

Question is.. do the cats deserve that effort
Well I'm low rank so it's mostly just a case of the outfit upgrades being SO CUTE.

But I will say that one of them landed the killing blow on a gravios as I was still getting my footing from the dismount, so they ARE doing damage. Hell, I got them a couple ludoth claws that do 100 water and I wonder how much that is going to help me against zinogre.

Numb

Been struggling with the HR5 B.Gravios for 2 days now
tried with 2 or 3 party randoms but they leave
Looking for assists
Room 00-4939-9289-3599 pass 8008

Valus

Heck yes they do. One of my cats have the Gore Magala set and he's like the reaper. Has no feet anymore, just floats around with a purple flame lantern scythe and hoodie that hides his whole face except glowing purple eyes.

And my other cat has the basarios set, which is hilarious because when you crouch, she will go solid snake on you but basarios style, aka hide under a rock.

I love them.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Frenzied Brute Tigrex is fucking scary, regular Tigrex has been kind of a push over this whole game. His brute cousin on the other hand is horrifying. Insanely spastic, few openings until you start exhausting him, and his mega damage dealing roar is horrifying.

wiibomb

Frenzied Brute Tigrex is fucking scary, regular Tigrex has been kind of a push over this whole game. His brute cousin on the other hand is horrifying. Insanely spastic, few openings until you start exhausting him, and his mega damage dealing roar is horrifying.

wait till you see it's other cousin... that thing is a horrifying thing...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
OMG that scene when you go to dismiss a Palico is the best thing ever.

I'm finally at the beach town.

Also I had two of my first two wtf moments in the game. I'm probably going to mess up the names. When the Zamtrio expanded its stomach and ate me I was like o_O

Second wtf moment was facing off against the Najarala. How big it was and how it mimicked a snake coiling around to try and block off my chance to escape surprised me.

Also got my first legit awesome weapon. I had been using a relic 2 handed blade and got pretty good with it, but never had enough armor spheres to upgrade it and the sharpness only got up to yellow. I was able to upgrade one of my long swords to this lightning coil one that is so good.

Dice

kiranico is down life is meaningless

edit: I'm trying to get the scholar outfit and just came into the knowledge that to get more arena battles you do the capture missions. So they send you on a mission to capture them just to fight them to the death for fun, lmao. Thug life.

Kandinsky

I guess I just need to keep playing/progress to get more Palicoes and their gear?, because so far I only got one cat and the Mario Bros sets :p

Shengar

Yes, for me at least.
They make a good distraction when you need some break to heal or sharpen. With the right forte, healing that is, they can save you in a pinch since their reaction time is much better than the Shakalakas (especially regarding antidote). Plus, the costumes are very cute, like Royal Ludroth for example.

Can't wait to see frenzied Green Nargacuga.
No frenzied Lucent pls

PrankT

I use both lance and HH. I use the lance more in single player as it seems just insanely good with Guard or Evasion skills. You can laugh at people running for dear life or getting blown to bits by a huge AOE attack while you just press R+A or B and keep poking the monster to death. It's so safe it lets you stay on the monster constantly and not give a shit about what it's doing. You almost say goodbye to "circle and look for an opening" lol. The downside is it's prone to getting tripped up by small monsters or other hunters' attacks.

The horn is absurdly useful in multiplayer, Attack Up Large alone gives the whole party a ridiculous 20% attack boost. There's also infinite stamina, wind immunity, HG earplugs, and a few other useful songs. It's also actually an very mobile weapon (fastest drawn weapon run speed and moderate attack speed) that never bounces thanks to the two tier Self-Improvement song on every horn. Its range is pretty good as well, the wide swings letting you snipe the head when it would be out of the reach of hammers. It doesn't have through-the-roof damage and KO potential of the hammer though and learning when and how to play recitals and encores is tough especially since monsters will immediately target you next when you start playing. A tricky weapon but very satisfying and your team will love you for using it well:

rWFWmvZ.gif

OK, I will just have to try them both. The horn has always seemed like a very interesting weapon, so I can't wait to try it out.

Dice

I guess I just need to keep playing/progress to get more Palicoes and their gear?, because so far I only got one cat and the Mario Bros sets :p
Yeah at some point in the story it unlocks all the palico stuff, and from then on you can recruit a new one every mission, then after a while you starting getting all choosy with their abilities and whatnot.

Plus, the costumes are very cute, like Royal Ludroth for example.
Trouble is when a cute costume has Target Small headgear. The only time I see target small being good is for bombers who could actually disrupt them from going after you.

Blitzhex

G2* - Farming D.Seltas Queen and some Seltas Queen later, need few more moonlashes and maws.
Hall ID: 59-7774-2648-7120

Edit: Closed

R0ckman

I can't find evasion charms, what can I do to change this? I'm doing feline explorer to gather charms and I'm still just getting the same skills over and over.

PKrockin

Crag is good for KOs. Just pump a bunch of them into a monster's face and down he'll go. Both crag and clust are also good for part breaking or the occasional monster that doesn't have good shot hitzones. They're pretty situational though, and usually an LBGer's forte instead.

Exhaust shot supposedly drains the monster's stamina faster and might cause a KO if you hit it in the head. It's hardly ever useful.

Blast shots probably still work like slime shots. Build up enough blast and there's a barrel bomb-style explosion. Might as well stick to crag and clust, though.

Wyvern Fire offers a Gunlance-style explosive shot at point-blank range for limiter-off HBGs. Haven't tried this one yet in 4 Ultimate, but I suspect it's still not very practical.

I think that just about covers it for all the oddball shots. HBGs generally stick to the physical shots since the amount of elemental or status shots you can carry is not very large and it doesn't have the ammo multiplication power of LBGs rapid-fire. So it's usually a matter of choosing between normal, pierce or pellet for much of the hunt.
Again, thanks for the tips. I just did a Tigrex, Gravios, and then Rathian + Rathalos mission as practice. Shot Rathalos out of the sky twice as he tried to limp away, and one of the shinies he dropped was a Plate. :p Too bad I missed the last shot as he finally flew away, since the first shot at the next area killed him. Would have been a great finish. I think I'm getting the hang of it. Hanging around a Tigrex with a gun, no mobility, and no block is a little hair-raising. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom