• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmurphy

I want my handicraft +5 with gem slot like I had in 3U. :(

So far the best I've got in 4U is evasion +3/fire res+13 and artillery +4/perception +10. No slots on either.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
+10 psychic is insanely convenient. It may not help in any fighting, but man, it's nice to not have to search forever.

It's less good once you've done hunts enough that you know exactly where monsters are going to spawn and what zones they move between.

What it's really nice for is for spotting intruder monsters before they barge in on your fight.

Getting charms in 4U is horribly frustrating.

I haven't gotten any charms I'd say are anywhere near awesome, my best charm is a +5 expert with 2 slots and +3 stam rec.

In fact most of my good charms are just the +10 gathering, +10 psychic, +10 speed setup ones I've found along the way. The one I mainly end up using is this +2 sharpener + 2 hunger with 3 slots.

Because 3 slots is really good.

The best one I've found so far is a Handicraft + 4 w/ 2 slots. I haven't actively searched/farmed for any yet. Still hoping to get a decent Evade Dist or Wide-Range talisman.

Ragejoy

Neo Member
Hey folks! looking for people to do the Ukanlos urgent for HR 7 if anyones up for it.

Gathering Hall ID is 57-1832-6625-0896

Im down to do it for all who joins, just want to get that g-rank! :D

Kinsei

Banned
Anyone want a Yian Garuga guild quest?

I'm pretty sure my favorite (reasonable) way to finish off a flying enemy is by shooting them out of the sky. It's such a good feeling! Particularly a Rathalos that won't freaking land.

Unless you're Kensei, in which you can finish off someone by Kicking them. Seriously, how the heck did you do that Kensei?

If a monster has less than 100 HP left when you mount it, you'll drop them down to 1HP instead of killing them. I knew she was almost dead when I mounted her so I took the chance and kicked her after the mount.

PKrockin

at the beginning is good, but later on I memorize where the monsters usually are and where they will never go, and then search those specific areas.

for example I know that tetucabra is always in area 8 or 9, it rarely goes to area 2 or 3, so I'll always go to 8 and almost always see it's there...

MH4U-Sunken_Hollow_Map.png
That's true for Tetsucabra. But I've seen Rathians fly off to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 in Ancestral Steppe.

Speaking of which, is there any logic to which area they label which number? It seems close to random.

Zoon

I'm thinking of trying a ranged weapon for the first time.I was playing the tutorials and concluded to the LBG.What skills should I get?I was thinking Recoil/Reload speed or Evasion/Evd dist depending on the weapon.Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of trying a ranged weapon for the first time.I was playing the tutorials and concluded to the LBG.What skills should I get?I was thinking Recoil/Reload speed or Evasion/Evd dist depending on the weapon.Any suggestions?

I wouldn't focus on reload and recoil primarily, as you can reduce recoil through silencers, and reload on lbg isn't that bad. Evasion and evade distance are incredibly useful. Rapid fire and status increases are also really good to make the most out of your status shots (poison, para, etc) if you decide to go the route of more support gunning.

But I tend to prioritize status shots myself when using the lbg, since I usually only use it when grouping. If I'm solo or want to do mostly damage, I tend towards the heavy bowgun.

Edit: If you are going the damage route, also consider the appropriate elemental up and shot up skills for whatever gun you are using.

Infinite

Anyone want a Yian Garuga guild quest?

If a monster has less than 100 HP left when you mount it, you'll drop them down to 1HP instead of killing them. I knew she was almost dead when I mounted her so I took the chance and kicked her after the mount.
I want the guild quest. What level?

That's true for Tetsucabra. But I've seen Rathians fly off to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 in Ancestral Steppe.

Rathian and Rathalos go all over the place in Ancestral Steppe, I made the mistake of thinking I need not paintball either in a quest there with both and somehow I managed to completely lose track of them both for well over five minutes when they both ditched area 8.I swear this happens to me infinitely more in this entry like the monsters can't sit still for more than 30 seconds in an area unless you're in there with them.
Still those odds of not running into either in that timespan, it was driving me slowly insane!

Zoon

I wouldn't focus on reload and recoil primarily, as you can reduce recoil through silencers, and reload on lbg isn't that bad. Evasion and evade distance are incredibly useful. Rapid fire and status increases are also really good to make the most out of your status shots (poison, para, etc) if you decide to go the route of more support gunning.

But I tend to prioritize status shots myself when using the lbg, since I usually only use it when grouping. If I'm solo or want to do mostly damage, I tend towards the heavy bowgun.

Edit: If you are going the damage route, also consider the appropriate elemental up and shot up skills for whatever gun you are using.

I'll start with the lobster set and the HBG.Thanks for help

shuusin

Neo Member
Low rank bow and long sword user here, what weapons and armors should i be focusing on near term, and what skills for the long term?

Low rank bow and long sword user here, what weapons and armors should i be focusing on near term, and what skills for the long term?

Check all three of these links:

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/107741806567/monster-hunter-4g-ultimate-noteworthy-armor-sets

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/94523313132/blademaster-skills-to-have-sets-to-make

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/99465093652/my-final-mh4-sets

Edit: My bad, I should've specified. Those links are to show you long term skills to aim for.

For short term long swords, I'm just gonna say try to make one of every element. Element is important for most weapons (hammer and greatsword, not so much) so there isn't really one single weapon that you'd want to stick with at low ranks.

Every time I have to fight a Gypceros I die a little on the inside. Fuck that monster. The one I just fought stole around ~10 items (including my fucking map) in one go. FUCK. THAT.

Eventually I'll hit G Rank, and actually start having the funds to power my Bomberman gameplay style...

Sucks being poor as shit. And constantly needing more Caravan Points.

Eventually I'll hit G Rank, and actually start having the funds to power my Bomberman gameplay style...

Sucks being poor as shit. And constantly needing more Caravan Points.
Most efficient way to craft bombs? I can't seem to get many scatterfish with the felyne fishing and it's frustrating...

Every time I have to fight a Gypceros I die a little on the inside. Fuck that monster. The one I just fought stole around ~10 items (including my fucking map) in one go. FUCK. THAT.

The strangest thing for me is that I don't remember finding Gypceros that irritating at all back on the PSP, yet here I am now having had to recently tackle the high rank varieties for their goods and am strongly considering one of my most hated foes to fight in the entire series, dude has now mastered erratic annoyance to a fine trolling art whilst also boring with its limited move selection.
And yet I still need more Toxin sacs, euuurgh.

Most efficient way to craft bombs? I can't seem to get many scatterfish with the felyne fishing and it's frustrating...

Maybe not the answer you were looking for but...use wycoon to make godbugs, sell godbugs for gobs of cash, buy barrel bombs when they are half price at the vendor.

Save the scatterfish for upgrading the store bought bombs to L+ when you really want that extra damage.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any recommendations for a first armor set? Tetsucabra seems solid for beginner armor.

Depends very heavily on your weapon. You don't want Guard if you're not using Lance, no point in Combo Rate on battle armor, etc. That said, Tetsucabra is good all-around armor. Kut-Ku is also a solid choice.

E: Also, the very easy to craft mixed set:

Kut-Ku Gunner Head
Kut-Ku Chest
Velociprey Arms
Velociprey Waist
Kut-Ku Legs

cheesekao

I just stopped even trying to fight him legit, it's just too unfun. I just grab my insect glaive and spam jump attacks all day. That Black Gravios has way too much health though, mounted him over ten times. 25 minutes of spamming jump attacks ain't fun at all, but that's still more fun than fighting him normally.

It's really a badly designed monster, you can clearly see the signs that he was made with the mount mechanic in mind. Surely they could've designed him in a way that mounting isn't the only way to have fun fighting him. Nope, it's jump or hate your life with him. If they patched him out of this game I wouldn't even be mad.
I don't think B.Gravios is that hard from my experience with it in P3rd. I didn't have much problems taking him down with my water gunlance. I hugged his stomach as close as possible and just shelled and poked away.

deim0s

So I joined Numbatista and saw how Akantor and Teo was like in MH4U.

Akantor is still the same - just a bit active and has the Tigrex run and Teo is mostly the same with that super-explodosius shit that can likely one-shot someone.

Sooo nice to see them F2/U monsters back!

Akantor is still the same - just a bit active and has the Tigrex run and Teo is mostly the same with that super-explodosius shit that can likely one-shot someone.

Yeah. Kushal got a bunch of new stuff, but Teo felt mostly the same. And yet, Kushal is still pathetic compared to Teo. Go figure.

Beats

Managed to solo the Ukanlos urgent on my first try. It took 30 minutes though with my fire SnS, but it wasn't too hard. It toppled over a lot when I kept hitting the back leg. Only thing that kept hitting me was the roar. > . <

My Palicoes were super helpful during that fight.

Mupod

I always had tons of trouble with Kushala Daora whereas I farmed G Teostra all the time in FU. Curious to see how those fights play out in this game but I have no idea how far I am from unlocking either. I'm well into 9* caravan and haven't seen them yet.

Managed to solo the Ukanlos urgent on my first try. It took 30 minutes though with my fire SnS, but it wasn't too hard. It toppled over a lot when I kept hitting the back leg. Only thing that kept hitting me was the roar. > . <

My Palicoes were super helpful during that fight.

Grats, and welcome to G rank.

Numb

That was the first time i faced them and it showed.
Teo seemed like it was gunning for me. Getting one-shotted is crazy too

Beats

Grats, and welcome to G rank.

Thanks!

I always had tons of trouble with Kushala Daora whereas I farmed G Teostra all the time in FU. Curious to see how those fights play out in this game but I have no idea how far I am from unlocking either. I'm well into 9* caravan and haven't seen them yet.

You need to be HR7 to get the Caravan Teostra quest. Don't remember what else you need to do besides that.

Going after my Ukanlos urgent once I finish this quest. Anyone want to join up?

I'll help out.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hm, I can get the Rustshard dragon element hammer (Breath Core Hammer) right now. Is it worth it? I know the dragon SnS was (still is?) super worth it back in MHFU. Used it to take down Kushala Daora a few times. Not sure how useful the hammer would be against the elder dragons, though. Since elements are usually more of a big deal on weapons that can hit several times quickly.

Hm, I can get the Rustshard dragon element hammer (Breath Core Hammer) right now. Is it worth it? I know the dragon SnS was (still is?) super worth it back in MHFU. Used it to take down Kushala Daora a few times. Not sure how useful the hammer would be against the elder dragons, though. Since elements are usually more of a big deal on weapons that can hit several times quickly.

For hammer, you're worried about sharpness and raw above all else. Don't worry about element, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom