• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

Best charm I've found so far. If only it had evasion.

zlCfzTDidGkHGimoWw
holy shit

I never found a talisman half that good in 3U.

Again, thanks for the tips. I just did a Tigrex, Gravios, and then Rathian + Rathalos mission as practice. Shot Rathalos out of the sky twice as he tried to limp away, and one of the shinies he dropped was a Plate. :p Too bad I missed the last shot as he finally flew away, since the first shot at the next area killed him. Would have been a great finish. I think I'm getting the hang of it. Hanging around a Tigrex with a gun, no mobility, and no block is a little hair-raising. lol

I'm pretty sure my favorite (reasonable) way to finish off a flying enemy is by shooting them out of the sky. It's such a good feeling! Particularly a Rathalos that won't freaking land.

Unless you're Kensei, in which you can finish off someone by Kicking them. Seriously, how the heck did you do that Kensei?

Mupod

I never find good charms. I just run under the assumption that I'll never get one.

On that subject I just got the ability to meld timeworn and 'unknown' charms. Can the latter give me G rank charms? Should I save my vile frenzy crystals or is there a higher version later?

Try resetting your charm table by rebooting the game.

I know this game doesn't have locked charm tables, but I actually hardly ever turn my game completely off. So I'd be interested if someone has found a charm table manipulation guide.

I know you can cheese the melding to lock in one of the skills on the charm.

Shengar

Unless you're Kensei, in which you can finish off someone by Kicking them. Seriously, how the heck did you do that Kensei?
I think poison do the trick
I know this game doesn't have locked charm tables, but I actually hardly ever turn my game completely off. So I'd be interested if someone has found a charm table manipulation guide.

I know you can cheese the melding to lock in one of the skills on the charm.

Yeah me too. I rarely turned off my 3DS so MH4U have ridiculous average playtime on the 3DS playlog lol (21:04 at the moment).

wiibomb

I use both lance and HH. I use the lance more in single player as it seems just insanely good with Guard or Evasion skills. You can laugh at people running for dear life or getting blown to bits by a huge AOE attack while you just press R+A or B and keep poking the monster to death. It's so safe it lets you stay on the monster constantly and not give a shit about what it's doing. You almost say goodbye to "circle and look for an opening" lol. The downside is it's prone to getting tripped up by small monsters or other hunters' attacks.

The horn is absurdly useful in multiplayer, Attack Up Large alone gives the whole party a ridiculous 20% attack boost. There's also infinite stamina, wind immunity, HG earplugs, and a few other useful songs. It's also actually an very mobile weapon (fastest drawn weapon run speed and moderate attack speed) that never bounces thanks to the two tier Self-Improvement song on every horn. Its range is pretty good as well, the wide swings letting you snipe the head when it would be out of the reach of hammers. It doesn't have through-the-roof damage and KO potential of the hammer though and learning when and how to play recitals and encores is tough especially since monsters will immediately target you next when you start playing. A tricky weapon but very satisfying and your team will love you for using it well:

rWFWmvZ.gif

from where is this graph? I love it, found some very interesting info there

never knew people liked others with HBG

I use both lance and HH. I use the lance more in single player as it seems just insanely good with Guard or Evasion skills. You can laugh at people running for dear life or getting blown to bits by a huge AOE attack while you just press R+A or B and keep poking the monster to death. It's so safe it lets you stay on the monster constantly and not give a shit about what it's doing. You almost say goodbye to "circle and look for an opening" lol. The downside is it's prone to getting tripped up by small monsters or other hunters' attacks.

Any advice on which lances to pursue as I rank up through Low rank into HR and eventually G?

Shengar

Where do you get charms???

Mining or from quest rewards
Most useful charm mined from Volcanic Hollow secret area, where you can only reach in high rank and above with Felyne Explorer skill (or being lucky).

I already miss fighting him.
Definitely one of the best designed monster from many aspect. The fight is difficult for the right reason.
I farmed 15 Lucents for Cloudy Moonshard, but ain't bored from those hunts at all.

ilium

another day farming stygian zinogre, another day without an umbrage drop.

will this never end?! T.T

I'm pretty sure my favorite (reasonable) way to finish off a flying enemy is by shooting them out of the sky. It's such a good feeling! Particularly a Rathalos that won't freaking land.

haha oooh yes! was farming rathalos with lyzz yesterday and i kept shooting him out of the sky while he was trying to escape.

felt good man :]

can finally get some quality hunting in later tonight. Hoping to find someone to casually work through HR4 and above. I'm pretty far into 9* caravan so I could solo it but relaxing 2-3 person hunts sound good about now.

How do I get more Wystones? I keep seeing quests to suppress monster frenzy but I don't have a wystone capable of that. Just the damage bonus one...and to be honest I'd rather just keep using that. Damage bonus + intentionally getting the virus is awesome. That poor Rathalos got obliterated.

What time do you plan on hunting tonight? I'm pretty early into HR4 right now and wouldn't mind going through a bunch of quests. I should be home from work around 7pm central and as of right now I don't have any other plans so I should be able to hunt all night.

wiibomb

What would you guys say is the most versatile element?

I am thinking either thunder or water. Lots of things weak to water surprisingly.

for me it was fire... lots things are weak to it... but that's very arbitrary to say, I don't know the exact number of elemental weakness from every monster

Mupod

from where is this graph, I love it, found some very interesting info there

it's weird that HBG is above LBG, maybe just because everyone knows it does good damage. Status LBG is just so ridiculous with a good group though.

But look at the chart from the perspective of 'what weapon will interfere with my playstyle the least/most'. Ranged weapons generally don't get in anyone's way leaving more room around the monster. Lance might not be infamous for tripping, but other blademasters need to be especially conscious of them since they are easy to interrupt.

Personally I rate SA high on my list because it's the master of tail cutting, typically not something I can do myself as I often use hammer/HH/HBG.

Shengar

Personally I rate SA high on my list because it's the master of tail cutting, typically not something I can do myself as I often use hammer/HH/HBG.

In rate IG and ranged weapon user up high since they can bring any aerial mofos that just refused to touch the ground to kiss the earth below.

Mupod

What time do you plan on hunting tonight? I'm pretty early into HR4 right now and wouldn't mind going through a bunch of quests. I should be home from work around 7pm central and as of right now I don't have any other plans so I should be able to hunt all night.

Sounds like a good time to get started. And yeah, I've been raiding in WoW all week so I just want to sit down and pound out some MH all night. I'm in no rush and my current weapons can handle anything in high rank so I'll kill/farm whatever. I actually want to do that in order to start gathering materials for the low/high bowguns I'll need to upgrade later on.

My friend code is in my profile, obviously I'm at work atm though.

In rate IG and ranged weapon user up high since they can bring any aerial mofos that just refused to touch the ground to kiss the earth below.

My specialty is making Rathalos plummet 100 feet back to the cold hard ground as he tries to flee the area. I have a pretty good sense for when he'll stagger and normal 3 works great.

R0ckman

I'm seriously confused by gaijin hunter,

"To unlock the seed, just receive the charms before asking him to make new ones. Simple!"

His terms like seed, and lock unlock are throwing me off. Can someone explain this process better?

PrankT

I need something for both. Monoblos high rank solo was a bit too hard with my current set to farm it, I guess I'm going for Tigrex S (dat MHF nostalgia) and later Rathalos, as Shengar suggested. Thank you both!

You can do high rank Tetsucabra first and then use it to farm the others. There are a lot of Tetsucabra quests.

Salaadin

Wrapped up tetsu s set last night. Funny how much of a pushover he is. Those huntathon missions are a fantastic way to just get parts.

I'm going to miss Handicraft a lot though

What would you guys say is the most versatile element?

I am thinking either thunder or water. Lots of things weak to water surprisingly.

for me it was fire... lots things are weak to it... but that's very arbitrary to say, I don't know the exact number of elemental weakness from every monster

I just went through the list of every boss monster and subspecies and gave each element a tally mark for each monster that is severely weak to that element. If a monster was about equally weak to multiple elements, then those elements got tallies. Here are the results:

Thunder
Dragon
Fire
Water
Ice

As you can see, the spread is pretty equal as far as versatility.

XaosWolf

I'm seriously confused by gaijin hunter,

"To unlock the seed, just receive the charms before asking him to make new ones. Simple!"

His terms like seed, and lock unlock are throwing me off. Can someone explain this process better?

The seed would be a random string of characters that are used to decide the stats of the talisman. Eg: aah2h4bvd828

If you take the talismans BEFORE you order some new ones, the game will generate a different string instead.

If you take the talismans AFTER you order some new talismans, the new talismans will be made with similar stat sets as the string will stay as 'aah2h4bvd828' instead of generating a new one.

I haven't tried it in this game, but hopefully that gives you a general idea of how 'seeds' work.

Kandinsky

Yeah at some point in the story it unlocks all the palico stuff, and from then on you can recruit a new one every mission, then after a while you starting getting all choosy with their abilities and whatnot.

Trouble is when a cute costume has Target Small headgear. The only time I see target small being good is for bombers who could actually disrupt them from going after you.

4* offline to start hiring more cats.

Cool thanks guys.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I just went through the list of every boss monster and subspecies and gave each element a tally mark for each monster that is severely weak to that element. If a monster was about equally weak to multiple elements, then those elements got tallies. Here are the results:

As you can see, the spread is pretty equal as far as versatility.

Oh wow that's really cool to know.

Also it's interesting because that means statistically you could probably get away with just building and maintaining 2 elemental weapons and you should have all your bases covered for most fights.

R0ckman

The seed would be a random string of characters that are used to decide the stats of the talisman. Eg: aah2h4bvd828

If you take the talismans BEFORE you order some new ones, the game will generate a different string instead.

If you take the talismans AFTER you order some new talismans, the new talismans will be made with similar stat sets as the string will stay as 'aah2h4bvd828' instead of generating a new one.

I haven't tried it in this game, but hopefully that gives you a general idea of how 'seeds' work.

Much better explanation, Thanks!

Sounds like a good time to get started. And yeah, I've been raiding in WoW all week so I just want to sit down and pound out some MH all night. I'm in no rush and my current weapons can handle anything in high rank so I'll kill/farm whatever. I actually want to do that in order to start gathering materials for the low/high bowguns I'll need to upgrade later on.

My friend code is in my profile, obviously I'm at work atm though.

My specialty is making Rathalos plummet 100 feet back to the cold hard ground as he tries to flee the area. I have a pretty good sense for when he'll stagger and normal 3 works great.

Sounds good. I'm up for whatever as well. Got a Velociprey S set made the other day so I should be ok on armor for a little bit. Have a hammer for each element started so maybe I'll try to go for some hunts to get some of those upgraded.

My friend code is in my profile as well. I'll add you when I get home from work.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Getting charms in 4U is horribly frustrating.

I haven't gotten any charms I'd say are anywhere near awesome, my best charm is a +5 expert with 2 slots and +3 stam rec.

In fact most of my good charms are just the +10 gathering, +10 psychic, +10 speed setup ones I've found along the way. The one I mainly end up using is this +2 sharpener + 2 hunger with 3 slots.

Because 3 slots is really good.

Getting charms in 4U is horribly frustrating.

I haven't gotten any charms I'd say are anywhere near awesome, my best charm is a +5 expert with 2 slots and +3 stam rec.

In fact most of my good charms are just the +10 gathering, +10 psychic, +10 speed setup ones I've found along the way. The one I mainly end up using is this +2 sharpener + 2 hunger with 3 slots.

Because 3 slots is really good.

+10 psychic is insanely convenient. It may not help in any fighting, but man, it's nice to not have to search forever.

Valus

I'd kill for a +2 sharpness charm right now. Can't gem it out of my current set without losing sharpness +1 (handicraft). =\

Beats

Anyone want to help me with Ukanlos urgent to get into G-Rank?

31-3490-3796-8045
Pass is 1234.

Also, does anyone need these Guild quests?

Lv 81 Velocidrome
Lv 9 Yian Kut Ku
Lv 1 Basarios
Lv 42 Brachydios
Lv 42 Brute Tigrex
Lv 36 Basarios

PKrockin

from where is this graph? I love it, found some very interesting info there

It's from a survey from the Monster Hunter reddit board. There are some other interesting responses on there, like apparently only 2% of respondents considered the HBG their #1 main, and same for LBG. That seems very low even for a game with 14 weapons.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2wkjo2/results_from_the_weapons_survey/

Any advice on which lances to pursue as I rank up through Low rank into HR and eventually G?
I'm only in early HR myself but Red Tail and Usurper's Coming were very easy to make and had good raw, sharpness and element for the end of low rank to the beginning of high rank. Out of my 9 or so lances I used one of those two 80% of the time.

wiibomb

+10 psychic is insanely convenient. It may not help in any fighting, but man, it's nice to not have to search forever.

at the beginning is good, but later on I memorize where the monsters usually are and where they will never go, and then search those specific areas.

for example I know that tetucabra is always in area 8 or 9, it rarely goes to area 2 or 3, so I'll always go to 8 and almost always see it's there...

MH4U-Sunken_Hollow_Map.png

burgerdog

Anyone want to help me with Ukanlos urgent to get into G-Rank?

31-3490-3796-8045
Pass is 1234.

Also, does anyone need these Guild quests?

Lv 81 Velocidrome
Lv 9 Yian Kut Ku
Lv 1 Basarios
Lv 42 Brachydios
Lv 42 Brute Tigrex
Lv 36 Basarios

I thought you were already in g-rank? Unless I played with a different Beats yesterday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom