• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane1345

Good morning fellow hunters....

Holy crap I'm tired. Was up until 4am playing with friends from about 7pm. God I love this game. My arms and my wrist hurt (I should really take breaks) but I'm going to have breakfast and back into the hunt. I love this game....zzzzzzzzz

Also people who attack whilst I'm mounted

tumblr_m2ldqwLOHP1r6x0bw.gif

there is a special place in hell for you >)

Kane1345

Also I was reading reddit and it looks like anyone who bought the bundle will NOT be getting the free theme :/

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but looks like Nintendo is giving us the shaft. At least we have an answer though :T
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/762804-monster-hunter-4-ultimate/71213453
"Just got off of the phone from Nintendo. They representative said that we wouldn't get the code due to the fact that we got the game at a discounted price. And that the code was only available to those who downloaded it from the E shop not the pre-installed."

Sucks but whatever really. Love the LE MH4 console anyway and I'll buy the theme since it's kinda cheap.

What happened? It was Friday, and now it's not... halp.

Just got to the fourth village, still sticking Tetsu + nerscylla glaive. Gravios took almost 15 minutes because I forgot how to fight him.

This game is trouble.

Cyrix

Neo Member
Hey all you hunters out there, this is a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT.

Backup your SD card! Especially if you bought the game on the eShop.

A few hours ago I was in hunting bliss with a friend when suddenly both screens went black! A message appears telling me to restart the system and upon doing so I find that my SD card is no longer recognised!

Further Inspection/testing would reveal that my SD card had died completely. So now here I am at 2:30 in the morning having just returned from the 24-hour walmart down the road with a new card, waiting on MH4U to download again so I can see where things stand.

Do yourself a favor and back your shit up on the reg.

Also I was reading reddit and it looks like anyone who bought the bundle will NOT be getting the free theme :/

Sucks but whatever really. Love the LE MH4 console anyway and I'll buy the theme since it's kinda cheap.
Meh, that theme in the themeshop is better anyway. Love those sound effects. I still hope we'll at least be able to buy it later though.

Renoir

Still new at this. Coming from the demo and all. I made an armor,I didn't see an option to add skills. How do I do that?
Also I can't stack quest???! I got to go back to town each time or I'm doing something wrong?

I don't know if it's a placebo effect or the better screen, but I really feel like the game on my N3DS XL is much more beautiful then the demo on my old XL. In the demo I had to put 3D on to see what everything was, but now even with 3D off everything is pretty clear.

So I remade my character because I didn't like the look of the first one I made (turned out really orange ingame), but I already downloaded the Starter Pack on the first one. Am I shit out of luck now or can you get it once per character?

I don't know if it's a placebo effect or the better screen, but I really feel like the game on my N3DS XL is much more beautiful then the demo on my old XL. In the demo I had to put 3D on to see what everything was, but now even with 3D off everything is pretty clear.
Could be the graphics upgrade helping you

Kane1345

Yup it definitely does look better and I love playing the game in 3D. I think it works pretty well here

Still new at this. Coming from the demo and all. I made an armor,I didn't see an option to add skills. How do I do that?
Also I can't stack quest???! I got to go back to town each time or I'm doing something wrong?

Every piece of armor gives a few points to certain skills, which you can look up with X or Y (not sure which one). When a certain thresshold in points for a skill is reached (usually 10 points) that skill is active on the armor set. Usually the armorpieces of a same set give points for the same few skills so some or all of them should be active on the final armor. There are also negative skill points that give negative skills, so you may want to gem those out by applying skill gems to armorslots that counter the negative skillpoints below the threshold. On the other hand, you can add new skills (or improve existing skills, e.g. attack up S, M, L) by adding skill gems.
This probably seems overwhelming in the beginning but you'll get the hang of it after a while.

And no, you can't stack quests. You best clear out your bags after every quest anyway, so this isn't really a problem.

Yup it definitely does look better and I love playing the game in 3D. I think it works pretty well here
Yes, I've been switching between 3D on and off and the new 3D effect is really amazing. The slightest movement would disturb the effect in the demo, but now it's awesome.

ramyeon

Finally finished forging my first full armour set this time around, Velociprey. Went for this over Jaggi for the Attack Up.

Kane1345

This game is addicting.

Should I aim to craft new weapons or just keep upgrading the starting one? I'm using the Charge Blade ATM.

Aim to craft new ones. If you feel that the goal of a new weapon might take a while to achieve then you can upgrade your existing weapon til then as long as it doesn't involve using resources for the weapon your going for. That's what I do anyway :)

Has anyone tried local co-op? Me and my roommate were getting a really unacceptable amount of lag. Lot's of teleporting around. It's weird because I never had issues like this in the demo. I'll play with it more tomorrow.

ramyeon

The localization for this game is amazing

The Jaggi set now is only Sharpener and Half Stun :(
Yeah it's not what it used to be :( was my go-to starter armour in 3U.
Did you just keep waiting for Velocidrome to cycle around in Expedition mode? I can't see any other way to fight it...
If you register the Guild Quest you can fight it over and over again (Though it levels up each time).

Shengar

Did you just keep waiting for Velocidrome to cycle around in Expedition mode? I can't see any other way to fight it...

Guild Quest, but holy crap it hit like a fucking truck
A level 1 Guild Quest Velocidrome rage leap attack reduce my health to half and give me my first faint ffs
If you have level 1 Velocidrome guild quest and you confidence with your own skill, I said go for it.

If you register the Guild Quest you can fight it over and over again (Though it levels up each time).

Both the armor and the monster are now shit tier. Poor Jaggi ;__;

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you register the Guild Quest? Thanks in advance.

Guild Quest, but holy crap it hit like a fucking truck
A level 1 Guild Quest Velocidrome rage leap attack reduce my health to half and give me my first faint ffs
If you have level 1 Velocidrome guild quest and you confidence with your own skill, I said go for it.
Well shit. I wonder if it's even worth it. I've been doing fine so far up to Kecha Wacha with 3 Derring/2 Vprey armor.

Pejo

Shit I am having the hardest time breaking Great Jaggi's frill. I've fought him like 20+ times now and only broke it once. Why the hell is it so tough to do.

Shengar

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you register the Guild Quest? Thanks in advance.

Well shit. I wonder if it's even worth it. I've been doing fine so far up to Kecha Wacha with 3 Derring/2 Vprey armor.

Open your menu (the one with item inventory) by pressing select. The Guild Quest menu should be on the second page

I must said that most of my difficulty against it is caused by my weapon of choice, Lance, which I'm not proficient with at the moment (still unable to put up guard and sidestepping instinctively). If say, I use LS instead at that fight, I'm sure I'll fare better against it.

Shit I am having the hardest time breaking Great Jaggi's frill. I've fought him like 20+ times now and only broke it once. Why the hell is it so tough to do.

What is your weapon? If your weapon is too overpowered it'll even more difficult to destroy certain parts since your excessive damage to the Jaggi body will kill it even quicker.

Marsminchen

Neo Member
Wonderful OT and great avatars! I think I'm going to nab one of them too.

My copy and XL arrived yesterday. Needed one hour to transfer and two more hours to create character and kitty. Spent the rest of the evening hunting mushrooms and I still don't know which weapon to pick. I guess I'll try a bunch of them again and decide afterwards...

But the game is fantastic. Feels like coming home. I love the music and the cutscenes! :)

I like how Velocidrome's a genuine challenge this time around. I remember back in the day when it flinched on literally every single hit (no exaggerating here).

Hahah. There's another one like that in which one person tries very hard to avoid saying 'penetrate'.

Pejo

Maybe it's your weapon choice?

Yea I thought about this too. So far I've tried Charge Blade, Switch Axe, Hammer, and finally Gunlance. I was always killing him before the break until i switched to gunlance and basically just blocked and jabbed my way to a break. Still he died like 2 hits after the break. Seems kinda crazy how little HP they gave Jaggi in this. Or gave his frill a ton of HP, idk.

uhm, are people only signing up for the ID list, but don't add anyone then? I got 7 contacts out of adding 50 ID's -.-
I've only put my ID on there for now, going to start adding some people later. But I thought we could play together without adding friend codes or did I hear that wrong?

fantomena

Received my copy of the game today. Will write a review for my blog actually. :)

Anything I need to know as a beginner before I jump in?

NIGHT-

So I got a text thurs about my CE copy being ready to pick up Friday. I called GameStop and they said orders are being shipped to addresses not in stores. My copy wasn't even paid off, am I screwed?

So I got a text thurs about my CE copy being ready to pick up Friday. I called GameStop and they said orders are being shipped to addresses not in stores. My copy wasn't even paid off, am I screwed?

They should have said that when you ordered it, iirc it was always for shipping only. If they never told you that, it sounds like a goof on their part, but I'm not sure how that helps you from not being screwed...

le.phat

The glaive kind of OP imo. It took me up until zambrioth before i switched out my starter set for different armor. Its the mobility. Every monster from the earlier games are complete pushovers due to the fact that their movesets are too rigid and they cant adjust to fast moving targets. And then there's the almost guaranteed mounting. The new monsters are alot more mobile though. I've just slain gore magala and that was the first critter that killed me since i started playing (thursday).

ilium

i will add everyone from our FC list as soon as i put the game down for a break. it's just so addictive :<

so much fun to put a monster with sleep coating to rest, put down two large bombs and blow it up hehe.

has anyone seen some sort of weapon progression chart? like what are good bows to work for?
i want to make the velociprey armor set but don't know where to get it. does anyone have a guild quest to share with him?

vareon

I'm still too wary of my internet connection to ask anyone to play online :/ hopefully someone here want to play a test play later on and be ready if I disconnected.

Oregano

Still just at the beginning but the gathering seems a lot more generous than in Tri. Is that an actual change or am I imagining it/misremembering?

Peru

Egg on my face as my first cart comes against the... Kecha Wacha! I decided to not upgrade my armor at all until I was done with 2 star quests, and too cocksure I went in on him without knowing what he was capable of. Still, love that guy, what an athletic joker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom