• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobohoro

Anyone have a XL circle pad pro? Would anyone would recommend one?

It's servicable, but makes an already big handheld even bigger and is probably nothing you'd want to lug around on travels. But for playing MH it's good, especially since it helps in longer playsessions due to being easier to grip.

I don't know if it's a placebo effect or the better screen, but I really feel like the game on my N3DS XL is much more beautiful then the demo on my old XL. In the demo I had to put 3D on to see what everything was, but now even with 3D off everything is pretty clear.

I'd wager the full game looks better than the demo. Played both on my 3DS XL and there is a noticeable difference. Can't wait for my N3DS coming in next week.

I'm playing really slow right now, taking in as much of the new stuff as I can. Up to the first urgent quest now, having decimated every monster with the charge blade. Fights were way faster than I remember them in 3U.

Kuntz

I find the early monsters reaaaaly weak, like they limp really quickly,and I'm learning lance.

Must be experience, probably.

Can't wait to hbg things in multi, but this time I want to unlock everything in solo first.

Armaly

Played a little bit last night. I love the new 3ds. Getting used to the c stick I'd going to take a bit. Anyone ever use that slide pad? How is it?

Pics_nao

What in the flying fuck is with this monster in the 3 star urgent? A giant spider that can put you to sleep and when it does it expands its tusks to eat you whole?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPEEEEEE

Nohar

What in the flying fuck is with this monster in the 3 star urgent? A giant spider that can put you to sleep and when it does it expands its tusks to eat you whole?

Yup, you'd better not be arachnophobic. The Nerscylla is one creepy monster.

Been trying out the Insect Glaive and I really enjoy it, but can someone tell me if there's way to farm speed nectar early on? I got some nectar from rewards, and most of it is power nextar, which I don't really need. I want speed nectar that makes my insect fly faster.

le.phat

Been trying out the Insect Glaive and I really enjoy it, but can someone tell me if there's way to farm speed nectar early on? I got some nectar from rewards, and most of it is power nextar, which I don't really need. I want speed nectar that makes my insect fly faster.

You can farm lots of nectar during an expedition. Theres like 4-6 flowerlike plants (red/blue) from which you can extract 3-5 nectars. One expedition run should net you 15 nectars in avarage.

Its funny how I also bought Majora's Mask yet after playing about 30mins of it, I just wanted to go back to my hunting. I knew it would be this way anyway lol. Gonna leave that one for when I get my reading week break ahaha.

With messed up eyebrows.
The localization in this game is just so good lmfao.

demonkaze

So me and my brother are having a bit of a problem with Local Multiplayer. We both got a new 3DS XL yesterday and have set up our connections fine but whenever we go into a local game the connection drops during the middle of a quest every time without fail, any idea what we can do to rectify this? Would using Online instead of Local be better for us?

Kane1345

So me and my brother are having a bit of a problem with Local Multiplayer. We both got a new 3DS XL yesterday and have set up our connections fine but whenever we go into a local game the connection drops during the middle of a quest every time without fail, any idea what we can do to rectify this? Would using Online instead of Local be better for us?

Couldn't hurt to try online and see what happens. Online has been really great for me so far so as weird as it is to choose it over local MP give it a try, might work out.

With messed up eyebrows.

Best line in the game so far: "........you and your eyebrows are my only hope"

tumblr_lkot6w6QHJ1qcrzkko1_500.gif

Mets9

When in free roaming/fighting the Magala I had some framerate drops, 3DS XL. How's the online for owners of "old" 3DS?

Meffer

Last night, I beat the G. Jaggi for the first time in this game. In under five minutes.
Mind you I'm not not new (started with MH3U). I'm just surprised I killed him THAT fast with no upgraded weapons or skill that increase my attack.

Shengar

Just destroyed Kecha Wacha, that was a fun fight!
The fight for me was "that was it?" when it finally down. I guess Lance moveset is too good for Kecha Wacha
Received my copy of the game today. Will write a review for my blog actually. :)

Anything I need to know as a beginner before I jump in?

Test every weapon and see which one works for you! Also try to gather a lot of material and resources then combine them into more useful items. If your combat skill isn't good enough, try to oveprepare yourself with items.

hey Gaf, would you recommend this for a MonHun newbie?

Of course, the newest and the best installment of the series in introducing newbie to the game.

Peru

There are still elements which can be confusing in terms of items, weapon and armour upgrading etc., but outside of the core systems and the fighting itself my best advice to beginners is not to worry too much about it because you'll understand it after a while as you go along.

Renoir

man this game..

found dodo bird that lays eggs great. got the egg now i got back..
"those jaggis were here on my way in " wtf..
go in for 2nd egg..
"that wall wasn't there when i was there last" wtf...

also what is a PAW Pass. 1st guild quest is saying hang out in the hunting ground for 50min. or bring a paw pass.
I figured something with paws.. ill go to that cave with all the cats but they dont have shit to say. wtf.. why are they hanging out in that cave any way?

but yea. still having fun. XD myaaaa

There are still elements which can be confusing in terms of items, weapon and armour upgrading etc., but outside of the core systems and the fighting itself my best advice to beginners is not to worry too much about it because you'll understand it after a while as you go along.
Yea. Out of Ammo explained a bit about that, but man when i go in the menu its like looking into the MATRIX..

Beats

Not sure if I'm doing this right, but I made a room for HR1 quests if anyone wants to join. Gathering Hall ID is 26-3969-3565-6666.

Quote for pass code:

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My goddamn L button broke during last nights hunts. Now I either have to find a screwdriver I can open my 3DS with or try and find some store locally that still has a New 3DS in stock

bobohoro

Welp. That's it. Pre-Order canc...oh, game deleted. I can't deal with stuff like that, heck I just stopped my 5th try of Limbo a few days ago at exactly the same spot I stop every time, where the spider is introduced. I just can't.

Are the cats strong enough so I can just stare at a wall while they finish this quest for me? ;(

In the end I went with a female after all...

SnS with Bnahabara set and Scaly Sword for now. Sleep -> KO so fun.

Edit:

Sorted my item box for 30min. Capcom needs to finally add an option to sort these things in categories.

Dizzy

Banned
This is huniliating. Going from a G rank warrior in MH3 to some scrub doing menial tasks in MH4.

Hopefully the good stuff comes soon. This is starting to feel like GTA4.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I watched a tutorial and tried bow again and it still sucks. I think longsword is my style.

Peru

also what is a PAW Pass. 1st guild quest is saying hang out in the hunting ground for 50min. or bring a paw pass.
I figured something with paws.. ill go to that cave with all the cats but they dont have shit to say. wtf.. why are they hanging out in that cave any way?

It will show up in the item chest after two minutes and you can deliver it to end the quest. The quest is simply for you to explore the area and gather whatever resources you want.

The cats are sneaky bastards.. they can steal from you out in the other areas if you're careless. And if they get away with it the stolen goods may end up in their cozy cave.

I watched a tutorial and tried bow again and it still sucks. I think longsword is my style.

There's a 'training quest' for each weapon in the game. The bow is super cool when someone good uses it, a tempting weapon for me but I've never taken it far. If I do go ranged in a serious way it will be the bow, though.

Cob32

Managed to kill
s. Magala
on first try but only had 2 potions left. Need to practice this fight more before I go online I think.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
There's a 'training' quest for each weapon in the game. The bow is super cool when someone good uses it, a tempting weapon for me but I've never taken it far. If I do go ranged in a serious way it will be the bow, though.
I just don't like all the shot charging. Not my style. I like getting in there and tearing shit up. Being recklessly in danger and using adaptability to come out unscathed.

So... the guild quests received in the gathering hall meant to be played with ppl locally/online? And village quest is basically your solo mission?

Bracket

All right, added my information to the Google Doc. I'm Eastern Standard Time, and I'm thinking of rotating through SnS, Bow, Hammer, and Lance (occasionally).

Feel free to add me!

I just got to
Harth
btw.

Peru

I just don't like all the shot charging. Not my style. I like getting in there and tearing shit up. Being recklessly in danger and using adaptability to come out unscathed.

There's a Hollywood type coolness to standing your ground, charging and timing release just right to get it off to hurt the monster and not yourself. Bow probably a bad weapon to start off with, like all the ranged ones.

The longsword R spam attack does give you a cathartic burst of violence, though. And yeah getting up in and under the body of the monster delivers on the old balancing game of trusting your own evade skills enough to dare stay there for some serious hitting, but not so long you ignore the tells of the monster romping wildly. And since some of the earlier monsters are smaller and faster it's a good fit. The hammer strikes the right balance for me between mobility + close range melee and heavy power. But I did pull out the basic long sword you're given to break the Great Jaggi's frill.

So... the guild quests received in the gathering hall meant to be played with ppl locally/online? And village quest is basically your solo mission?

There are arena quests there as well which you should try out on your own for Gladiator style wrassling.

jorgejjvr

I'm looking for two EST players who are willing to play in a group. However I plan on staying on low rank for a while since my friend may take a while to actually purchase the game.

Pics_nao

The first Gore fight is fucking me in ways I never knew possible. Guess it's time to finally upgrade my armor. Time to get fucked by the desire sensor.

tuffy

The early low ranks armors are still a big pile of meh, I see. Might have to just whip up a set of Alloy for the Pellet Up skill until I can get to Lagombi or find a bunch of Nargacuga parts. And my HBG upgrade options aren't much better until I can get to Rathian for the Longfire. But at least the early low star quests are going quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom