• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VandalD

Hey Hunters!

I've heard good things about this game being the most approachable to a new player, but at the moment I don't have the funds to get a N3DS. Is this passable on the 3DSXL? If so, I'm assuming I'll need to get my hands on a circle pad pro; since the CPP for the 3DSXL was Japan only, will it work on US hardware?

Thanks!
I play on an original XL with the touch screen direction pad for camera control. Try out the demo in the shop. You can also resize and move the touch screen pad in the full game. While the C-stick nub would be nice, it's not at all game breaking to not have.

VICI0US

So bow mains what skill would you say is better, focus or attack up xl? Debating between tigrex/rathalos or lagi armor for high rank.

Raide

So bow mains what skill would you say is better, focus or attack up xl? Debating between tigrex/rathalos or lagi armor for high rank.

Attack up is always handy but the Lagi set is viewed as a damn good set. Mainly due to Tenderiser and Fast-charge.

VandalD

Stamina/Marathon Runner or Focus feel pretty essential for bows, with Focus coming out on top, especially since you can use Dash Juice to negate stamina loss.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Aw hell I'll just go ahead and make the Zinogre set. There are other nice thunder guns, by time I get to the S class I'll want to use a different kind of armor, and for right now Fashion > Surviving.

Edit: Or maybe I want the sword! Hmmmmm...

As a new player, what's the first armour set I should be aiming for? Any tips welcome!

Jaggi set is OK but if you have the patience for a little more grinding then try getting the Velociprey set. Latter set gives you the ability to see monsters at the map 24/7 when properly gemmed.

Spades

Jaggi set is OK but if you have the patience for a little more grinding then try getting the Velociprey set. Latter set gives you the ability to see monsters at the map 24/7 when properly gemmed.
Tetsucabra would be my recommendation.
Tetsucabra for defense or Velociprey for offense.

Awesome - thanks guys. Happy to grind it out as I'm really enjoying the game! It's just a little overwhelming when you don't know much about the game and what to aim for.

tm24

Tetsucabra for defense or Velociprey for offense.
If you want to take offense to the next level, you mix the velociprey legs and waist with the kut ku helm (gunner), chest and legs and a bunch of attack gems and get attack up large

Volcynika

Hehe, I thought it was easier than G. Magala. :p I had the G. Magala armor and I beat it quite easily. And remember, traps don't work on it.

I'm a dual blade user, and I was doing fairly ok for the most part, then once supplies ran low, things went south. :/

May do some of the other quests to up my caravan's stuff.

Qurupeke

I'm a dual blade user, and I was doing fairly ok for the most part, then once supplies ran low, things went south. :/

If health is your only problem, then just bring M Potions, Potions and Herbs. A farcaster would be also useful in order not to die once and lose the food buffs. Demondrug could also help you kill it faster in case you have Defensive food buff.

And most importantly, try to avoid getting damaged. A combo may look nice but be careful.

Derring (initial set) > Tetsucabra (because of the HP skill) > Kirin (fashion hunter)

I haven't failed a single quest so far, and I'm about to go fight Kushala Daora. 8)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I can't tell which is more annoying, fighting Nerscylla as ranged or Rathalos as melee.

Volcynika

If health is your only problem, then just bring M Potions, Potions and Herbs. A farcaster would be also useful in order not to die once and lose the food buffs. Demondrug could also help you kill it faster in case you have Defensive food buff.

And most importantly, try to avoid getting damaged. A combo may look nice but be careful.

Thanks. I've got the Leader's Shotels (which have done alright up to now) but I may look to getting a more powerful weapon before attempting it again.

Qurupeke

How to get bumblepumpkin? I've read wycoon gives it but Im not getting any. I'm only multiplying honey so far.

Multiply stuff on max cycles and you'll eventually get them. They're a real pain at first but just do different quests to pass your time. If you're impatient just keep doing the Steak quest over and over again but this gets boring.

As forewarned I'm up for HR1 quests. I'll be around for an hour. My Gathering Hall is 67-1003-4669-7404 and the password is 5558.

Edit: Annd done, thanks for the help Kuntz!

Hah. That's why people are usually advised to not get used to those crutches. Good luck finding an endgame set that has those.

Well there's Acrobatics which will give him Evade +1 and Distance, which is what I plan on getting.

Mainly so I can dodge my own bombs though. :x

What are the basic requirements before doing g rank even once you've unlocked the quests?

Edit: In terms of general recommendations. Ie, go in with so much defense/attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom