• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chorazin

So I'm wearing Jaggi Armor, and I'm rocking the Switch Ace. What's the next armor set I should work towards? Armor in this game confuses the hell out of me.

cavefishes

Neo Member
Alright I'll keep trying. Thanks!

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of concrete data out there on Bumblepumpkins, but I've heard and experienced that they don't really show up if you collect from the inbox after every hunt. Try making some requests and not picking them up until they're totally complete.

Berordn

So I'm wearing Jaggi Armor, and I'm rocking the Switch Ace. What's the next armor set I should work towards? Armor in this game confuses the hell out of me.

It'll ultimately depend on what skills you decide to go for. Tetsucabra's pretty good since it'll give you defense and health easily.

Moondrop

Banned
1) What Palico types are people using for single player? At first I used healing, and it was pretty good when both cats would dual horn. But now I've moved on to stealing, which involves the cats mounting- nice for a mid-battle break. Except my primary cat now uses a weak single horn; probably need to retrain him. Is there anything better out there?

2) Should I bother with melding excess talismans? Seems like a waste of resources when they are already RNG.

3) Does the color of a mining node matter?

As a Gunlance user that"s why I imnediately dropped Auto-Guard. Can't rely on it, its better to be able to do it oneself.

Guard Up however..

I think Auto-Guard is a little different since that can actually put you into a bad position depending on the situation. Evade + just gives you more room for error with something you should probably be already doing (evading). Evade + also lets you dodge through some roars but I don't know what the minimum level required for that is.

Hah. That's why people are usually advised to not get used to those crutches. Good luck finding an endgame set that has those.

It's mainly the Evade Distance Up that I don't want to go without. As a Switch Axe user being able to cover large distances with evades is very useful. Also lets me roll into an attack from further away as well.

Nargacuga X has Evade+2 and Evade Distance Up by default. 3 probably is overkill but I had the talisman and gems to do it so I figured why not.

I just fought Mrs-Fly-and-Fire Rathalos without my precious marathon runner ability... oh my god it was so annoying...

I don't do a lot of running with those two. If they are too far I usually just let them come to me unless Rathalos decides to stay in the air shooting fireballs for too long.

R0ckman

1) What Palico types are people using for single player? At first I used healing, and it was pretty good when both cats would dual horn. But now I've moved on to stealing, which involves the cats mounting- nice for a mid-battle break. Except my primary cat now uses a weak single horn; probably need to retrain him. Is there anything better out there?

2) Should I bother with melding excess talismans? Seems like a waste of resources when they are already RNG.

I use healing if the unique skills help. I have one that revives faster and uses healing skills more often, sometimes twice in a row. I also use stamina cat, which steals monster stamina. They also heal during the stealing animation if they have a skill for it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So far melding has melded shit into more shit. I suppose then that the main idea is to meld 3 things that have the stat you want but are too weak?

Whats your bomba setup? Are you in Grank? I don't think Im going to make a SB setup till I get there.

I'm only in High Rank, and right now all of my armor is still LR, so right now it's:

Narga Cap
Lobster Mail
Narga Braces
Narga Faulds
Lobster Greaves

With gems and talismans, I've got Evasion +1, Evade Extender, Bombadier, and Trap Master. I'm still working out my HR set for now haha, I haven't been playing THAT much.

Anteo

Set up more healing cats as your 1st stingers, the skills of these 5 cats affect your main cat.

Oh man S. Magala plates can eat a sauteed dick for breakfast.

23 of these assholes and counting. I've gotten to the point where it dies faster than I can cut the tail AND break the head so I don't get those chances every time.

And then the quest doesn't come up because it's Advanced. Augh.

Busaiku

What went wrong? I dash juiced and everything was fine. Narrowly missed the Ioprey boss thing; saw him exit the map.

I wasn't using Dash Juice, so that was my problem.
Ran out of energy about halfway, with about 5 minutes left. Takes about 6-7 minutes for a full transport, so I just gave up.

Did it the 2nd time though, with time to spare.

R0ckman

Online is actually pretty fun. Haven't run into jerks or leeches. Only time things were kinda weird were when a guy brought Kecha Wacha garnments into the B. Gravios battle. One hit kills everytime.

Has anyone actually ran into jerks? Battles end so fast its hard to judge if someone is a noob unless they are doing nothing but getting carted and one hit multiple times.

Online is actually pretty fun. Haven't run into jerks or leeches. Only time things were kinda weird were when a guy brought Kecha Wacha garnments into the B. Gravios battle. One hit kills everytime.

Has anyone actually ran into jerks? Battles end so fast its hard to judge if someone is a noob unless they are doing nothing but getting carted and one hit multiple times.

The real trolls are in HR and higher.If you just started it, it's not something you'll notice until the monsters get harder and it becomes easier to tell how dumb some people are.

I wasn't using Dash Juice, so that was my problem.
Ran out of energy about halfway, with about 5 minutes left. Takes about 6-7 minutes for a full transport, so I just gave up.

Did it the 2nd time though, with time to spare.

Are you using a set with the Transporter skill(Loc Lac set)? For those missions I use that and the cooking skills that affect item transport.

Dice

BTW the controls fucking up happened again in my Rathalos fight. I was running away and tapped L to make the camera face her. I saw she was about to shoot a fireball so I pushed up-right to dodge while making an approach, instead my character dodged toward the camera (which would be down if I intended it) but I still had time so I tried again, but it did it AGAIN.

It makes no sense that my character would have dodged toward the camera unless it was using controls relative to my character instead of relative to the camera, that or it just straight up didn't realize that the camera was now facing the opposite direction. I would cut some slack for just once, thinking maybe I was caught up in the moment and somehow input the dodge before I adjusted the camera, but that wouldn't explain the second dodge.

From what I have noticed, it does this more often when my weapon is drawn, so I don't know WTF is going on but it definitely causes me trouble.

Need 3 Nerscylla shears to upgrade my hunting horn and there's a 35% chance of dropping one.....upon a capture. *sigh* This line has attack/defense buffs which are good for online.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Need 3 Nerscylla shears to upgrade my hunting horn and there's a 35% chance of dropping one.....upon a capture. *sigh* This line has attack/defense buffs which are good for online.

Pretty sure it's better to just kill the nercscylla for sheers since you have a 25% chance on carve.

Also if you do aracnophilia in HR4 quests you have an 18% chance to get additional shears from quest rewards.

Dice

change the evade controls then under orientation in options
What I'm saying is that evade controls are set to be in relation to camera in the options, and are most of the time, but sometimes they still function as though they were in relation to character.

Ah, finally, some HR quality armor.

All Nargacuga (LR), but with Chakra gloves and Skull head. Mmmm tasty. It's an extra 100 defense from my lobster monstrosity, and I look less like ass haha.

bobohoro

BTW the controls fucking up happened again in my Rathalos fight. I was running away and tapped L to make the camera face her. I saw she was about to shoot a fireball so I pushed up-right to dodge while making an approach, instead my character dodged toward the camera (which would be down if I intended it) but I still had time so I tried again, but it did it AGAIN.

It makes no sense that my character would have dodged toward the camera unless it was using controls relative to my character instead of relative to the camera, that or it just straight up didn't realize that the camera was now facing the opposite direction. I would cut some slack for just once, thinking maybe I was caught up in the moment and somehow input the dodge before I adjusted the camera, but that wouldn't explain the second dodge.

From what I have noticed, it does this more often when my weapon is drawn, so I don't know WTF is going on but it definitely causes me trouble.

You can't change directions with an evade that easily. If you are running from a monster, you can't just suddenly jump towards it, the Superman Evade will always go the way you are fleeing, you can just slightly influence the direction a bit.

Same thing with evading while your weapon is drawn. Some weapon types have side steps, some back hops and some let you roll forward. You have to time and aim your attacks in a way to get out of the monster's counterattacks with the tools available for you.

Dice

You can't change directions with an evade that easily. If you are running from a monster, you can't just suddenly jump towards it, the Superman Evade will always go the way you are fleeing, you can just slightly influence the direction a bit.
But I wasn't RUNNING running that a superman would be happening. If the controls can't keep up, it makes no sense. What is the point of direct controls if your character is unresponsive and decides they'll "get around to it" so it functions like move commands in a MOBA.

Same thing with evading while your weapon is drawn. Some weapon types have side steps, some back hops and some let you roll forward. You have to time and aim your attacks in a way to get out of the monster's counterattacks with the tools available for you.
Yeah, that's why I don't play lance, but a longsword does have a side roll, and so if I push up-right there is no reason my character should go toward the camera. That makes no sense. There is no mistaking opposite directions. If it can't do what I said, I would rather it do nothing at all than to do the completely wrong thing.

Normally I don't consider egg runs much fun but I have to admit I enjoyed stealing three eggs from a pair of Frenzied 'raths. That was pretty intense.

Santiako

Only time that happened I was hunting Gore with some randoms, I play Swaxe so I was focusing on the tail and there was a guy with a hammer that kept spinning like an idiot towards the tail and kept interrupting my attacks :mad:

After the hunt we asked him to stop doing the dreidel and focus on the head but he kept doing it (to the tail!) so the host kicked him.

bobohoro

But I wasn't RUNNING running that a superman would be happening. If the controls can't keep up, it makes no sense. What is the point of direct controls if your character is unresponsive and decides they'll "get around to it" so it functions like move commands in a MOBA.

Momentum? I would think it weirder if your hunter would be able to evade every way she pleases without concern to her position or prior movement. But I can't really comment on the issue with certainty, haven't had it happen and it might have something to do with your analog nub's inputs.

Yeah, that's why I don't play lance, but a longsword does have a side roll, and so if I push up-right there is no reason my character should go toward the camera. That makes no sense. There is no mistaking opposite directions. If it can't do what I said, I would rather it do nothing at all than to do the completely wrong thing.

LS has no backhop, so I think pushing back while evading might default to the neutral forward roll.

I had my first terrible online experience last night. Doing the Fire Drill mission (G Brach and S. Zin), a player with sub-400 def is the lobby leader. I don't think much of it and suggest he should bring some max potions. He refuses because "I don't have many left." I then suggest we take down the Brach first and run out of the room whenever both monsters are together until one runs off (this takes about 30 seconds). Then we begin the hunt with a party of 4.

We get Brach enraged and I mount him. Guy knocks me off. Great. Then, instantly one shotted. Shocking, such surprise. Guess who doesn't have max potions? So he runs back in and gets one shotted. Again. Great.

Then he gets the idea to hunt the Zinogre all by himself. He gets carted right as we kill Brach (but no carves).

So I leave the lobby because he's the lobby leader to find a new game. I grab the quest and ready up. I also went to get a nice cold glass of water. When the mission starts, I read the names of our party... He followed me. He then proceeds to ruin this run in almost the same exact way, failing yet again to bring max potions and stubbornly refusing to just goddamn wait in the camp after carting. So I got pissed and told him to farm a goddamn G set and get better at the game before fucking up everyone else's fun, since it was obvious that he had been carried all the way to G.

That was it for me yesterday. I tried the quest again today with a competent group and we beat it with no carts in less than 15 minutes.

Dice

Momentum? I would think it weirder if your hunter would be able to evade every way she pleases without concern to her position or prior movement. But I can't really comment on the issue with certainty, haven't had it happen and it might have something to do with your analog nub's inputs.
Momentum doesn't seem to play a role with LS 95% of the time. It can do crazy changes of direction. Also I'm not using the n3DS so I don't have an analog nub.

LS has no backhop, so I think pushing back while evading might default to the neutral forward roll.
Sideways should default to the sideways roll that it can do, not the opposite direction of the one that it can't, just like it does all the time in open practice. In fact, it can go from running toward the camera to diving up-right just like I wanted to in the fight. If there are special controls that change only when you're in battle, that is incredibly stupid. I'm pretty sure it is just a bug that makes it function according to the character instead of the camera.

I think I'll go fight a monster now to see if it does change when you're fighting a big monster that is targeted.

Edit: Just tested on an expedition and in-fight controls are no different. Panic run or no, weapon drawn or no, right after swing or stab attack or no, they work in the direction I push. Even the superman dive will go the completely opposite direction that I'm running, so it seems momentum has no meaning to LS. Camera position or recent changes or monster attacks also don't seem to affect it at all. I'm perfectly willing to believe the controls are a bit buggy and function in relation to character sometimes.

Netto-kun

Anyone want to farm high rank Brachydios and/or Azure Rathalos? Need parts to upgrade/unlock weapons from the former while I need Rubies from the latter.

Blitzhex

Hunted x24 seregios g rank with my friend cause he wanted a lens. I got 3 lenses and he got none.

DESIRE SENSOR IS REAL

betterbelieveit.

Edit: Lens count up to 4, friend 0. He says hes trying to beat the desire sensor.... it can't be done.
Edit2: 5 lens now, at this point im pretty much getting a lens every kill. He really pissed off the desire sensor now.
Edit3: 6 lenses, another from reward box in the same quest. Friend 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom