• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrankT

Is there somewhere where I can find good tips for the Hunting Horn? I'm not very far in single player but I only use the Self Improvement song. Are there certain songs people prefer over others in multiplayer? Can I stack songs on each other? Are there things I shouldn't be doing?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-d8xCih5LSg

It's my favorite weapon at the moment. Only started using it a couple days ago and wish I used it earlier. Can't remember the name of the Horn, but I use attack up L, defend up L, and health boost. It's made available in high rank. Songs stack and you can do encores to make them stronger.

Garou

Large Bone (Attack: 264).

Failed for the third time. Getting pissed off now as I'm trying to do what people have said, keep back; time my attacks; retreat; heal; sharpen; but then every time I get hit, I'm half dead.

If this is what Monster Hunter is about, then perhaps it's not the game for me. :(

I don't mind a challenge, but right now it feels like it's very unbalanced and nothing I do seems to work.

You shouldn't lose that much health on a single hit. Are you still using the starter-armor?

PrankT

Yep. Hence my original question, which was what armour should I go for initially to upgrade. I'm guessing by your reply, I need to upgrade it to something else beforehand? :)
Upgrade your armor. Get jaggi or velociprey, whichever is easier to beat for you. I used both but liked velociprey. Then tackle tets and decide if you want his armor afterward.

Kinsei

Banned
Yep. Hence my original question, which was what armour should I go for initially to upgrade. I'm guessing by your reply, I need to upgrade it to something else beforehand? :)

Not really. Tetsu hits hard but it has such a low amount of HP that it's not a huge deal. What do you need to upgrade the large bone and are there any other weapons of that type you can craft?

Garou

Well, what was the last big monster you were comfortable hunting? Hunt that a couple of times for materials and build its armor. Skills are not that important in the beginning and anything will have more defense than the starter stuff.

Spades

Well, what was the last big monster you were comfortable hunting? Hunt that a couple of times for materials and build its armor. Skills are not that important in the beginning and anything will have more defense than the starter stuff.

Great Jaggi is the only one so far. He was a walk in the park for me compared to Tetsucabra.

Roldan

Is the CB too overpowered, or the game is easier in general?

My first encounter with Rathian lasted less than 5 minutes.

I mean, I knew its patterns due to the previous games, but man, when I thought the battle was just getting started, the Rathian died. It felt a little underwhelming >_>

R0ckman

The ranjangs are damn fun, one of the better designed monster species. The electro beams while devastating leave him wide open if he's dumb enough to start firing at close range.

Towards the end of one of our battles my cats just start beating the hell out of him like he was a common Jaggi. Cowardly feline was having a feild day, and busted his horn for me!

There are a few lame things like the monster lock on crap they have with some of their moves. Like the one where he raises up to charge a pound and even if you move to the side, while hes still facing another direction charging, the slam animation will lock onto where you are standing. So he's not penalized for preforming the move in a bad direction.

I mean, I knew its patterns due to the previous games, but man, when I thought the battle was just getting started, the Rathian died. It felt a little underwhelming >_>
We've all been playing G-Rank alot so probably too used to its higher health.

Garou

Great Jaggi is the only one so far. He was a walk in the park for me compared to Tetsucabra.

Well, there is your next task :)
Hunt it a couple of times and start wearing whatever part you can craft right away. Also use your armor spheres on it the Jaggi armor-parts if you have any.

This is actually a very essential part of Monster Hunter, welcome to the game :)

bobohoro

The starter armour (without sphere upgrades) has next to no defense and getting something like Jaggi armour will make a noticeable difference in terms of how many hits you can take. Additionally it has an armour skill to reduce stun build-up, which may also help in the beginning. Definitely try to get that and then maybe upgrade to the Tetsucabra armour itself, which will have some effects. For one, it's a pretty good starting armour with, for that stage, massive defense that can carry you through most of the beginning stages of the game. Second, you will fight the Tetsu a few times for it and can learn the monster, see yourselve improve and end up decimating the wall you first hit within a few hunts. Which is a great fealing and something not many games can do quite like MH. :)

Also see if you can craft a better weapon, there should be some options available for you. Especially look into sharpness, since I think the bone sword only goes up to yellow which might bounce on a few parts of the Tetsu. Getting green sharpness will definitely help you.

Santiako

Large Bone (Attack: 264).

Failed for the third time. Getting pissed off now as I'm trying to do what people have said, keep back; time my attacks; retreat; heal; sharpen; but then every time I get hit, I'm half dead.

If this is what Monster Hunter is about, then perhaps it's not the game for me. :(

I don't mind a challenge, but right now it feels like it's very unbalanced and nothing I do seems to work.

Are you eating from the cat cook before going to hunt? That gives a good boost of health and defense.

R0ckman

Its CB for the most part. Should probably use it more. Might go back to start creating those weapons.

co1onel

Is there somewhere where I can find good tips for the Hunting Horn? I'm not very far in single player but I only use the Self Improvement song. Are there certain songs people prefer over others in multiplayer? Can I stack songs on each other? Are there things I shouldn't be doing?
Most songs let you play it twice for an added benefit. Some people dont know that you can play a song twice without redoing the notes. Just hit R again after playing it. Try to get double recitals off whenever you can. The attack up song for example, will give you an even stronger boost on the second play. Playing stamina up twice will make it last longer. Things like that.

Attack up is by far the best song. A 10% attack boost across 4 people is quite a lot of damage. Stamina negate is a a great song when you have DS/Hammer/Bow users in the group. I can't really recommend health horns. You're better off just using life powders to heal people, or use wide range (although this is much more suited to the sns, since a hunting horn player doesn't really sheathe often). The hunting horn isnt really a support weapon, so you shouldnt feel like its your job to heal others anyways. What is useful since no one has max potions yet, is health boost, so you can give people max health after they cart. Earplugs are useful against monsters that roar. Wind pressure negate is useful against monsters like gore and rathalos.

Try to learn when its safe to recital onto the monster. They do quite a bit of damage, and you're not helping anyone by playing the songs off to the side. Of course sometimes there just isn't an opportunity to safely do it onto the monster, and its not worth waiting around for an opening, so just play it safely away from the monster or go back to attacking.

These are just the basics. Gaijin hunter has a great video for the hunting horn.

It's my favorite weapon at the moment. Only started using it a couple days ago and wish I used it earlier. Can't remember the name of the Horn, but I use attack up L, defend up L, and health boost. It's made available in high rank. Songs stack and you can do encores to make them stronger.
Sounds like the bagpipe horn.

OceanBlue

Thanks for the video. I definitely need to get more comfortable with the ranges on the Hunting Horn lol. I've been switching between Hunting Horn and Light Bowgun which is probably why it's taking me forever to progress lol.

Most songs let you play it twice for an added benefit. Some people dont know that you can play a song twice without redoing the notes. Just hit R again after playing it. Try to get double recitals off whenever you can. The attack up song for example, will give you an even stronger boost on the second play. Playing stamina up twice will make it last longer. Things like that.

Attack up is by far the best song. A 10% attack boost across 4 people is quite a lot of damage. Stamina negate is a a great song when you have DS/Hammer/Bow users in the group. I can't really recommend health horns. You're better off just using life powders to heal people, or use wide range (although this is much more suited to the sns, since a hunting horn player doesn't really sheathe often). The hunting horn isnt really a support weapon, so you shouldnt feel like its your job to heal others anyways. Earplugs are useful against monsters that roar. Wind pressure negate is useful against monsters like gore and rathalos.

Try to learn when its safe to recital onto the monster. They do quite a bit of damage, and you're not helping anyone by playing the songs off to the side. Of course sometimes there just isn't an opportunity to safely do it onto the monster, and its not worth waiting around for an opening, so just play it safely away from the monster or go back to attacking.

I see. Thanks for the tips. I assumed it was a support weapon and that I was just using it wrong lol. I need to learn the recital and encore followups. I usually just do them far away.

Edit:
I could help you out if you want to farm the Great Jaggi online to get the parts for his armor faster...

I can too. I need Great Jaggi stuff anyway lol.

Spades

The starter armour (without sphere upgrades) has next to no defense and getting something like Jaggi armour will make a noticeable difference in terms of how many hits you can take. Additionally it has an armour skill to reduce stun build-up, which may also help in the beginning. Definitely try to get that and then maybe upgrade to the Tetsucabra armour itself, which will have some effects. For one, it's a pretty good starting armour with, for that stage, massive defense that can carry you through most of the beginning stages of the game. Second, you will fight the Tetsu a few times for it and can learn the monster, see yourselve improve and end up decimating the wall you first hit within a few hunts. Which is a great fealing and something not many games can do quite like MH. :)

Also see if you can craft a better weapon, there should be some options available for you. Especially look into sharpness, since I think the bone sword only goes up to yellow which might bounce on a few parts of the Tetsu. Getting green sharpness will definitely help you.

Well, there is your next task :)
Hunt it a couple of times and start wearing whatever part you can craft right away. Also use your armor spheres on it the Jaggi armor-parts if you have any.

This is actually a very essential part of Monster Hunter, welcome to the game :)

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I know this is supposed to be the most accessible game in the series, but it still can be very overwhelming to new players.i appreciate the advice.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to get to HR 3, so need to do a Gore Magdala Urgent Quest. After that, I'm willing to do whatever. If there's any takers:

40-7679-0226-0985
Passcode: 9009

Veldin

Furious Rajang's Gorer material is so annoying to get. Breaking both horns is tough enough as it is but even then it's not a 100% drop. It took 5 runs just to get one.

I need 3 firecells stones

I've done 5 volcanic hollow tours

Not a single stone

What the fuck desire sensor.
Its even worse when you need a rare drop/carve like a gem or something. You finally get it after 10 or so fights then you fight the same monster again for the hell of it and immediately carve another gem

And you don't even need it this time

iCxXjseWrO1JG.gif

Spades

I could help you out if you want to farm the Great Jaggi online to get the parts for his armor faster...

That would be amazing, thank you. Hopefully it'll help me pick up some hunting tips also. I'm just about to head to bed right now, but I will send you a PM when I'm next on tomorrow if that's cool?

R0ckman

The biggest thing to remember about Monster Hunter is that it's not an action game. Take your time, wait for your openings, remember to dodge, and ALWAYS remember that it's perfectly acceptable to move to a new area to heal/sharpen/eat/get your head together.

It actually was originally created to be an action game according to the designers. I'm assuming that originally a lot of the things that are called problems by first time critiques were actually truly gameplay problems, but over time they evolved with the series and with fan philosophies, justified to be left untweeked. The popularity in Japan probably made it so these things would not be a major concern to reevaluate.

PKrockin

Remember that as soon as you play a song the monster will target you next ASAP.

Attack up is by far the best song. A 10% attack boost across 4 people is quite a lot of damage. Stamina negate is a a great song when you have DS/Hammer/Bow users in the group. I can't really recommend health horns. You're better off just using life powders to heal people, or use wide range (although this is much more suited to the sns, since a hunting horn player doesn't really sheathe often). The hunting horn isnt really a support weapon, so you shouldnt feel like its your job to heal others anyways. What is useful since no one has max potions yet, is health boost, so you can give people max health after they cart. Earplugs are useful against monsters that roar. Wind pressure negate is useful against monsters like gore and rathalos.

These are just the basics. Gaijin hunter has a great video for the hunting horn.
Believe it or not Attack Up Large is actually a 20% attack boost for everyone, not 10%. Assuming you stack it. I think it's around 15% the first play.

co1onel

I see. Thanks for the tips. I assumed it was a support weapon and that I was just using it wrong lol. I need to learn the recital and encore followups. I usually just do them far away.
I like to view the hunting horn as an offensive weapon that just happens to buff you and your teammates as you attack. With attack up L, the HH can dish out considerable damage
Remember that as soon as you play a song the monster will target you next ASAP.

Believe it or not Attack Up Large is actually a 20% attack boost for everyone, not 10%. Assuming you stack it. I think it's around 15% the first play.
Yeah you're right, I was thinking of attack up S since that's what I've been using lately.

onionfrog

That would be amazing, thank you. Hopefully it'll help me pick up some hunting tips also. I'm just about to head to bed right now, but I will send you a PM when I'm next on tomorrow if that's cool?
Sure. If I'm not available then just ask around in the thread. I'm sure others would be more than willing to help too

rpmurphy

I don't remember if this was a think in 3U, but I feel that monsters switch targets to me whenever I start playing a song with the hunting horn. Especially the Rathian species. It's not that easy to pull off the follow-through.

PKrockin

Hey guys.

Seasoned MH player about to get round to MH4U.

How is the online on an OG 3DS?
Big step down from MH3U Wii U in terms of communication since you only have preset shoutouts while on a quest. No voice chat. At least there's text chat in the gathering hall although typing on it is laggy for some reason.

The framerate online with multiple people is similar to that huge circular area with ankle-deep water on MH3U Deserted Island.

Ultrabum

Does anyone have a Deviljho G rank quest? I need 3 rippers to make a sword XD

Anyone want to farm him some? OR have a guild quest that they can send me?

SuperSah

Banned
Big step down from MH3U Wii U in terms of communication since you only have preset shoutouts while on a quest. No voice chat. At least there's text chat in the gathering hall although typing on it is laggy for some reason.

The framerate online with multiple people is similar to that huge circular area with ankle-deep water on MH3U Deserted Island.

You can use the keyboard online, right?

I only played 3U on 3DS.

Also, isn't the Samus, Link armour in the game etc?

PKrockin

I don't remember if this was a think in 3U, but I feel that monsters switch targets to me whenever I start playing a song with the hunting horn. Especially the Rathian species. It's not that easy to pull off the follow-through.
It was definitely a thing in 3U. Guess they hate the sound of bagpipes as much as everyone else. But yeah, it makes encores really hard to pull off without getting hit. I do have some luck being underneath the front of the monster facing away and doing the neutral encore when the monster is close to the stagger limit. Hopefully I'll smack the head a few times.

You can use the keyboard online, right?

I only played 3U on 3DS.

Also, isn't the Samus, Link armour in the game etc?
You can use the touchscreen keyboard to type messages in online gathering halls, yeah. I don't think the Samus, Link, etc. armor is out yet. Mario and Luigi costumes for your cats are though.

Prisoner

I really wish more people online would understand that multiplayer requires a little give and take.

Some people are incredibly selfish and only interested in the quests they need to complete.

tm24

Friend sets a trap to capture Gore Magala because fuck fighting him. He does it too far away where he's sleeping and it flies away. We go chase it, do some damage and it flies away and apparently lands straight on the trap.

I tell him that will never be that lucky again and how it won't happen again

PKrockin

I really wish more people online would understand that multiplayer requires a little give and take.

Some people are incredibly selfish and only interested in the quests they need to complete.
I get the feeling everyone is in a rush to get to the top of G-rank. When I jumped in 3U something like a year after it released I only encountered a handful of people like that over ~100 hours. Everyone was very chill and would take turns posting quests. If someone randomly asked the best way to get X material a lot of people would just offer to help farm it on the spot. It was the best online community I've ever seen in terms of generosity and helpfulness. The more restricted communication and likely higher concentration of kids on 3DS might contribute too.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Finally got the firecell stones, turns out they cant be mined from harvest tours, you need to do the powderstone quest to get a guaranteed like 7.

I was about to forge my silver rathalos set.

But then I realized if I do I would need to go farm more silver rath for 4 more carapaces to build the rathalos gleamsword to go with it.

Decisions decisions

Shiina

45minutes, one cart and almost my entire item pouch later I solo'd this lvl120 Jho. Every fart of his did between 60 and 80% of my health in my full HR gear. My head hurts.

Anybody happen to need anything from him? I still need one Blackpiel because he only dropped two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom