• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was helping some people do their HR4 urgent when this guy walked in.

OEE4fzR.jpg

He carted twice in 3 minutes and nearly ruined the run until the 3 of us killed it. I tried to explain to him how armor skills worked but as I was typing it out the room crashed.

It's like this game doesn't want me to teach people things.

EDIT: I just looked at the image again and realized HE WAS FULLY GEMMED OH MY GOD WHYYYY

I wonder how much it would change people's understanding of how armor skills activate if they shifted the decimal point one spot to the left

Dreavus

I was helping some people do their HR4 urgent when this guy walked in.

OEE4fzR.jpg

He carted twice in 3 minutes and nearly ruined the run until the 3 of us killed it. I tried to explain to him how armor skills worked but as I was typing it out the room crashed.

It's like this game doesn't want me to teach people things.

EDIT: I just looked at the image again and realized HE WAS FULLY GEMMED OH MY GOD WHYYYY

To be fair the game IS really bad at explaining this. The only time you see the skill pop up on the menu is when you actually get it to +10, otherwise there's nothing so you can't really tell if you're doing something wrong. In the tutorial for skill points I was waiting for them to say "...and when you get a skill to at least 10 points, that's when the benefits kick in..." but it never came. I think it just vaguely says something about getting "enough" in one skill and that's it. :(

HeeHo

This is truly a masterful game. I love it. Just hit g rank in online tonight. I liked 3U a lot but this feels really polished. I would buy the Wii U version if it ever released. I miss playing on the big screen.

But yeah, I hope the West gets a lot more exposure to MonHun now.

R0ckman

The hell is up with rajangs horns? Me and one other guy kept 3 charging his head together and still only broke one. Unfortunately we kept getting people who were more concerned with killing him.

burgerdog

I'm excited about the fact that the next handheld from Nintendo should have decent tech. Which means that MH will have finally get out of ps2-wii era graphics. Mind you, I do find MH4U to be a pretty game, especially on an n3ds.

The hell is up with rajangs horns? Me and one other guy kept 3 charging his head together and still only broke one. Unfortunately we kept getting people who were more concerned with killing him.

I was in a pretty good group earlier with another hammer user, and its damn horns just won't break >_<

We paralyzed him twice, but couldn't knock him out - is he immune to knockouts?! I even have Knockout King.

Btw, burger your room is full.

Elija2

What are some items that I should always be multiplying with the Wycoon (other than the obvious like herbs and blue mushrooms)?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Good games, NetMapel. I got a hell of a lot of heavy bowgun practice, I feel pretty good with it now.

Hey yeah that was good hunting ! Did we ever connected through the Friends list though ? I don't think I saw your name on my Friends list for some reason. I thought I registered you ?

Vuze

What are some items that I should always be multiplying with the Wycoon (other than the obvious like herbs and blue mushrooms)?
Honey(and I wouldn't even say you'd want herbs and blue shrooms there but I guess that depends on your progress)

burgerdog

I was in a pretty good group earlier with another hammer user, and its damn horns just won't break >_<

We paralyzed him twice, but couldn't knock him out - is he immune to knockouts?! I even have Knockout King.

Btw, burger your room is full.

You and Munch?

I dropped and now yours is full lol

Cerity

Thinking about looking into maining a gunner weapon? The shots and coatings all are crafted from stuff you can multiply at the wycoon. I think I have 650~ nitroshrooms right now lol.

I am stuck with the HR1 quest, the Gypceros Project. What am I doing wrong? I've laid traps underneath him while sleeping (no luck) and I've inadvertently killed him multiple times. I also tried capturing after it was tired and drooling, trapped and threw 5 tranq bombs at it with no success.

Even if I lay a trap and try to drag him across after he has slept, I have no luck. Pls help

Doombear

I'm convinced they think it's just that +3 attack gives them some minor boost to attack.

I am convinced of this too. I can think of no other reason for it to be as prevalent as it has been in the rando groups I have jumped into from time to time.

I nabbed the LE MH n3DS but still ordered the Collector's Edition of the game. I gave the physical cart to my daughter to play. She's 11, just beat Kecha Wecha urgent and then Tetsu (and is progressing through Village 2 now) all solo. The first day she started playing, she said "I don't get anything from only a few points right? It has to add up to what the skill screen says?"

Reknoc

I am stuck with the HR1 quest, the Gypceros Project. What am I doing wrong? I've laid traps underneath him while sleeping (no luck) and I've inadvertently killed him multiple times. I also tried capturing after it was tired and drooling, trapped and threw 5 tranq bombs at it with no success.

Even if I lay a trap and try to drag him across after he has slept, I have no luck. Pls help

Use Pitfall Traps.

Doombear

Use Pitfall Traps.

This and it sounds like maybe it isn't weak enough to trap. Drooling does not mean trappable. Limping does. As for sleeping, is it sleeping for sure or just playing dead? Wait for it to limp, that is how you know you can trap it. Drooling just means it has run out of stamina.

ohlawd

I am convinced of this too. I can think of no other reason for it to be as prevalent as it has been in the rando groups I have jumped into from time to time.

I nabbed the LE MH n3DS but still ordered the Collector's Edition of the game. I gave the physical cart to my daughter to play. She's 11, just beat Kecha Wecha urgent and then Tetsu (and is progressing through Village 2 now) all solo. The first day she started playing, she said "I don't get anything from only a few points right? It has to add up to what the skill screen says?"

the stuff GAF and randoms can learn from an 11 year old

burgerdog

41-6999-1024-1791 pw 2222
Room for two. Doing HR7 keys, I need two and Cunanan might need more, maybe less, or maybe none. Then can we can farm g1.

This and it sounds like maybe it isn't weak enough to trap. Drooling does not mean trappable. Limping does. As for sleeping, is it sleeping for sure or just playing dead? Wait for it to limp, that is how you know you can trap it. Drooling just means it has run out of stamina.

Yes he was asleep. So with a pitfall trap under his feet while asleep, will it wake automatically wake him and trap? Or do I have to hit him to wake him up?

Meffer

What is a good armor set for starting in High Rank story? I'm currently in the first Zinogre set upgraded a few times. But that hermit still did decent damage to me.

Leezard

What is a good armor set for starting in High Rank story? I'm currently in the first Zinogre set upgraded a few times. But that hermit still did decent damage to me.
Hermit deals a lot of damage. After you beat him, jaggi/ velociprey /tetsucabra is OK armor.

rpmurphy

Yes he was asleep. So with a pitfall trap under his feet while asleep, will it wake automatically wake him and trap? Or do I have to hit him to wake him up?
Don't attempt to capture until you see him limping. Then lay down the pitfall trap (be careful he may leave the zone so put it down in the next zone if he does). You should only ever need two tranqs, and if that wasn't quite enough, wail on him some more with your weapon.

If you have difficulty with knowing when to capture, there is a skill called Perception (Nerscylla armor set should have it). Painted monsters will blink on the mini-map when it's ready for capture.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

That's fine, the daimyo hermitaur just does a lot of damage, you'll be good for a while. Just make sure you use your armor spheres to keep it up to date.

Scher

I would like to express how much I hate the Dalamdur fight. It is absolutely terrible and stressful, and those meteors falling almost all the time in the last phase are the worst.

Astarte

High Rank Seltas Queen gave me more trouble than Pink Rathian and 2 HR Zinogres at the same time. This thing is just..god dammit that took a long time.

Shengar

I would like to express how much I hate the Dalamdur fight. It is absolutely terrible and stressful, and those meteors falling almost all the time in the last phase are the worst.
Have you try mining those for shattered omen? It is ten times worse, especially wheN desire sensor activated

Juraash

Did some solo guild hall stuff today and got through to high rank. Capped the session off with the Pink Rathian urgent which was kind of a bitch. She really liked to stick to the smaller areas on the map, which made her stupid flips a nightmare.

I tried to control where she was with dung bombs with mixed results. Still fairly pleased with the progress overall, I don't really need much pre-G Rank stuff so I'm just trying to plow through. I've only ever solo's but hopefully this week I'll try and branch out some and play with actual people.

Scher

Have you try mining those for shattered omen? It is ten times worse, especially wheN desire sensor activated

I try to mine them whenever I see them, and I've managed one shattered omen so far. I'm going to need, like, 4 more of those for bowguns and I don't know if doing that fight is worth it.

Shengar

I try to mine them whenever I see them, and I've managed one shattered omen so far. I'm going to need, like, 4 more of those for bowguns and I don't know if doing that fight is worth it.
Yea, but for me what makes it so stressful is the fact that Dalamadur sometimes refused drop any meteor at all. This is the time I wish the online feature can have lobby name so I can make room "Omen Mining".

Re: Skill system obfuscation

I think I only managed to learn about how skills work (and this was AFTER learning about their importance) by noticing the display screen deim0s posted.

What I want to know is if there's a way to learn about what a skill does that I don't have without having to look it up on the net.

Raide

I think I only managed to learn about how skills work (and this was AFTER learning about their importance) by noticing the display screen deim0s posted.

What I want to know is if there's a way to learn about what a skill does that I don't have without having to look it up on the net.

Its a legacy thing from 100's of years ago. Capcom kinda expect you to know what stuff is without really explaining it. Its like the Dark Souls lore but Monster Hu7nter skill descriptions.

They have got a bit better in MH4U but its still pretty damn confusing with so many layers of stuff on top of even more layers.

deim0s

Press start or menu then "status" is a way. It'll describe the active skill you currently have on.

jaosobno

Could someone explain how Kinesect evolution works?

So far, I'm getting only Power+ nectar. I'd like to evolve it to Speed path, but, no one offers such nectar, and I'm not getting it as a mission reward. Should I just wait until I start getting Speed nectar, or can I feed it anything (which is something I did so far - was that a mistake?).

Crawled our way to G3 the other day with my friend, and did our first Tigrex. While the new elevation makes him a bit easier, he does seem like he does come more to life with the climbing and mounting.

Could someone explain how Kinesect evolution works?

So far, I'm getting only Power+ nectar. I'd like to evolve it to Speed path, but, no one offers such nectar, and I'm not getting it as a mission reward. Should I just wait until I start getting Speed nectar, or can I feed it anything (which is something I did so far - was that a mistake?).
not necessarily. Some of the bug evolutions require a little power and or stamina to upgrade so since you dumped some nectar into power you'll have more choices for bug evolutions later.

The wycoon sells nectar but its one type. The type changes every time you complete a quest. So one time he might be selling ice+ then after completing another quest he might be selling power+ etc etc. just wait till you see him selling speed nectar and buy a lot of it. I did that and now I have about 300 speed nectars

Later in the game you can farm nectar too but it's not until 8* and 9* iirc

I mean when I'm browsing armor and I see a skill and have no clue what it does without obtaining the full set.
When viewing the armor use the circle pad(or the L and R i think, i know its one of those) to go all the way to the last menu. It will tell you what skills/skill points that part of the armor has

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom