• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

Is it more common for people to wear what they like and not gear up and make armor for battles specific conditions?

Everyone's different. I generally make an all-purpose armor set but when I know I'm going to farm a very difficult monster I gear up for it. But some armor skills lend themselves to specific weapons more than others. Crit draw/focus on a greatsword for example, or marathon runner for hammers.

In general it's a good idea to have one set with earplugs, and one with evasion abilities. I know you can theoretically roll through monster roars but you can't get free attacks while you're doing that, and lag exists. As for evasion, some monsters have very quick attacks that are made trivial by evade+2. Gravios' sweep beam for example.

May be its like molten tigrex, the thing is slow as fuck, but hits like a truck, 2 hits and you are done...

Hah. I fought it for the first time last night and was taken aback at how gigantic and slow it was. It speeds up in rage mode but honestly as a gunner it's not any worse than the other Tigrex species. It did hit me a couple times though (OW), mainly because for some reason it seemed resistant to mount attacks. Honestly the HBG mount is only worth it for the free reload, it's so hard to actually get a knockdown with it and you can really screw yourself over.

On a related note when I was fighting it, I couldn't help but think about the fan theory of Akantor being a very old Tigrex.

la_briola

Going from my experience of playing the original tri 'looking for experts' translates into 'I'm bad and need people to carry me'.

And I hate 4's community... It's so bad. Almost as bad as the original Tri. I don't even know why... 3U's was amazing

But 4's community (not U) was so amazing! <3
We had such a blast, or at least I did. :lol

Pila

Sooo, is there a way to speed up guild quests levelling? I have a lv 11 Basarios quest and I need high rank. Did the quest once and it's lv 14 now... we don't have a food skill or something for levelling them faster? Maybe I should just do high rank expeditions and hope to find a new one... tried couple of time but I didn't get guild quests. I'd much rather having a good old classic high rank quest Basarios tbh. ^^

PKrockin

What rank are you facing them on? Regardless, it is an extremely rare drop.

I don't know if this is helpful to you, but on High Rank there is only a 1% chance of getting them from a tail carve and a 2% chance from wounding their head. Even if you wound their head and carve the tale on every kill, there is still only a ~45% chance of getting a Rathian Ruby on a run of 20 kills.

For G Rank, the Rathian Ruby only comes from carving the tail. There is a 6% chance of getting one from a single tail carve, or ~70% chance of getting one on 20 kills.
The Monster Hunter 4U Dex lists the drop rates for a ruby from a HR Pink Rathian as:
Tail carve: 4%
Shiny drops: 2%
Capture: 4%
Wound head: 4%
Wound back: 1%

Those seem like pretty decent odds altogether.

wiibomb

On a related note when I was fighting it, I couldn't help but think about the fan theory of Akantor being a very old Tigrex.

it has been widely speculated, and everything points to that, in fact that is teased in the older MH games..

like the garuga rumor that tells it is
a son of rathian and a kut ku

also, akantor is not the only one...
Ukanlos is supposed to be another very old Tigrex, but in a snowy area, since Tigrex can be in a volcano and snowy area too, both this are their respective "elders" in each area

tuffy

Just gotta pray for a charm. I was about to give up and go back to Lagombi when I found a +4 evade dist 2 slot charm. Just enough to make any set work and I've been rocking rath soul for a while.
I may wind up doing some charm runs just for that. I just noticed there's a new Gathering +3 skill so I've upgraded my Leather S set and I could do some Frozen Seaway runs until something turns up. It would widen my options considerably!
Same. I'm still rocking Jaggi S. I might end up forging the Pink Rathian set since I happen to have all the materials, gemming in Evasion, pretending I'm fashion hunting, and calling it a day.
My nephew plays Fashion Hunter, whipping up weapons and armor just because they look cool. It's a carefree attitude, for sure! But then I see skills like Prudence and I feel the need to try it out. So onward I go.

wiibomb

Sooo, is there a way to speed up guild quests levelling? I have a lv 11 Basarios quest and I need high rank. Did the quest once and it's lv 14 now... we don't have a food skill or something for levelling them faster? Maybe I should just do high rank expeditions and hope to find a new one... tried couple of time but I didn't get guild quests. I'd much rather having a good old classic high rank quest Basarios tbh. ^^

Guild quest get into High Rank at lv 46, each hunt rises the level by 5 before that, if you do not get the quest or do not have the patience to get farm for it, your only hope is to level them, there is no workaround, you need to level it the same way, there are no shortcuts

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I never watched the Gaijin Hunter video on LBG even though I've been using it a lot. As usual that cleared some things up, corrected some mistakes, and taught some new tricks.

Edit: I partially play fashion hunter, but it does indeed work out well sometimes.

Tom_Cody

Is it really 45% chance over 20 runs? Wouldn't the percent stay at 1% and 2% every time?
The chance of getting one is the same from one run to the next, but the chance of not getting one decreases if you view all of the runs as a system.

High Rank:
Probability of getting one on a twenty runs (if you carve the tail and wound the head) = 1-((1-0.01)^20)*((1-0.02)^20) = 0.453958808

G Rank:
Probability of getting one on twenty runs (if you carve the tail) = 1-((1-0.06)^20) = 0.709893759

Edit:
The Monster Hunter 4U Dex lists the drop rates for a ruby from a HR Pink Rathian as:
Tail carve: 4%
Shiny drops: 2%
Capture: 4%
Wound head: 4%
Wound back: 1%

Those seem like pretty decent odds altogether.
My bad. I was working off incorrect info. Revised:

High Rank:
Probability of getting one on a twenty runs (if you carve the tail, wound the head, wound the back, get one shiny drop, and capture it) = 1-((1-0.04)^20)*((1-0.02)^20)*((1-0.04)^20)*((1-0.04)^20)*((1-0.01)^20) = 0.952848079, ~95%.
Probability of getting one on a single run (if you fulfill all of the above conditions): ~14%.

So, yeah, pretty decent, assuming you are fulfilling all of the conditions to increase your odds.

Pila

Guild quest get into High Rank at lv 46, each hunt rises the level by 5 before that, if you do not get the quest or do not have the patience to get farm for it, your only hope is to level them, there is no workaround, you need to level it the same way, there are no shortcuts

This expedition thing is a pain =( I have two options: I can farm a bunch of useless low rank Basarios in my guild quest or I can do a bunch of useless expeditions praying for a high rank Basarios quest to show up. I realize monster hunting takes time but this is really slow. It's just high rank I could kill that big stone on my own if only there was a standard quest. Meh, it seems like wasting time. I don't "get" expeditions I guess, thanks for your reply. =)

ilium

This expedition thing is a pain =( I have two options: I can farm a bunch of useless low rank Basarios in my guild quest or I can do a bunch of useless expeditions praying for a high rank Basarios quest to show up. I realize monster hunting takes time but this is really slow. It's just high rank I could kill that big stone on my own if only there was a standard quest. Meh, it seems like wasting time. I don't "get" expeditions I guess, thanks for your reply. =)

i need some HR basarios parts, we can farm and level it up together if you want?

burgerdog

Nah we did the double seltas quest no problem.

Thanks for the Dalamadur.

Ah, dang it. I tried to join the room again but saw Cunanan offline so I thought everybody was gone. I need to add you and Kei to my friendlist next time I get the chance. Anyway, I killed one seltas in three minutes, then I decided I was too tired to find the next one and quit. Dalamadur drained me, that monster is just no fun at all.

Pila

i need some HR basarios parts, we can farm and level it up together if you want?

Thanks for your kind offer ^^ I can't play right now I'm at work. Maybe later? Best thing would be finding people who have the quest already so we could just farm the monster and get the stuff we want! ^^

Oh I read on reddit that Heavenly Crystals can be mined during high rank expeditions? I can't believe there is something missing from my trusted Kiranico, maybe I should remember there are other websites. Now I feel like a moron lol.

ys45

So I'm at the HR4 quest now (thanks to some fellow gaffers !)
I was wondering if I should go with the G Jaggi High rank armor right away or wait for a better one ?

I have a low rank Tetsu armor equiped for the moment .

Spades

I will gladly help. When you start a room, just post the room ID and password.

Tbh, the thrill of MH is overcoming those challenges yourself and then moving on to the real meat. :D

OK, I'm on and have created a room.

Friend Code: 0576-4101-9322

Gathering Hall ID: 48-5847-4299-1985
Pass: 1234

Anyone else who wants to come hunt with and help a noob learn the ropes, please do!

Thanks for your kind offer ^^ I can't play right now I'm at work. Maybe later? Best thing would be finding people who have the quest already so we could just farm the monster and get the stuff we want! ^^

I think I have an HR Basarios guild quest.Once I get home from work I can check. I need some stuff from him too.

Edit:
By the way, anyone have tips for Black Gravios? I can't seem to kill him quickly enough on expeditions. I mean, I can't even get him to limp before he runs away. I thought I was doing good damage with the spider cb, but I guess not enough.

Oh I read on reddit that Heavenly Crystals can be mined during high rank expeditions? I can't believe there is something missing from my trusted Kiranico, maybe I should remember there are other websites. Now I feel like a moron lol.

Kiranico is pretty lacking when it comes to things acquired on Expeditions. It also doesn't have anything on Rusted Fragment/Ancient Fragment either.

But yes, you can get Heavenly Crystals in HR Expedition from mining blue rocks.

Alric

There are still charm tables, but all of them are bigger, more balanced and reroll every time you load up your character (or game?) so you can't mess that up anymore like in MH3U.

I read that they are but you aren't locked in this time. Your bracket changes each time to exit the game.

Oh thank god, thats good to know. I was actually in a great bracket for MH3U, but I haden't read up anything on 4, so it's good to know.

Tom_Cody

I am so envious of everyone who is so far into the game. I'm only about 20 hours in (plus ~10 with the demo) and I'm very much still in Low Rank.

Question:

What is the next matched armor set I should go for after the Tetsucabra set (I just got to Cheeko Sands)? I was amazed at how big of a boost my defense got once I switched to that set after previously just using a random mix of armor pieces.

Pila

Kiranico is pretty lacking when it comes to things acquired on Expeditions. It also doesn't have anything on Rusted Fragment/Ancient Fragment either.

But yes, you can get Heavenly Crystals in HR Expedition from mining blue rocks.

I learned my lesson: ask GAF before farming low rank Basarios like a moron. I was sure mining its back was the only way. Thanks again.

ilium

sure, later sounds good, i'm not at home right now as well. ;)

drop me a message if/when you want to do it

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Question:

What is the next matched armor set I should go for after the Tetsucabra set (I just got to Cheeko Sands)? I was amazed at how big of a boost my defense got once I switched to that set after previously just using a random mix of armor pieces.

I honestly have one major rule when upgrading armor, I get sets that support new weapons, that being said most low rank sets have some pretty lame bonuses, I would suggest your next set be the gore magala / centaur mix that lets you get sharpness +1 because that's a very useful and versatile skill.

2 Gore pieces (chest and head I believe) + 2 centaur pieces + any leg piece with torso up = Sharpness +1 in LR
Add some decorations and you get speedsharpener on top.

Pics_nao

What rank are you facing them on? Regardless, it is an extremely rare drop.

I don't know if this is helpful to you, but on High Rank there is only a 1% chance of getting them from a tail carve and a 2% chance from wounding their head. Even if you wound their head and carve the tale on every kill, there is still only a ~45% chance of getting a Rathian Ruby on a run of 20 kills.

For G Rank, the Rathian Ruby only comes from carving the tail. There is a 6% chance of getting one from a single tail carve, or ~70% chance of getting one on 20 kills.

Facing them on high. Didn't even realize that the drop rates were so low. Got so many before I wouldn't even notice.

Spades

Give me a mo, will join now

Thanks for joining - I feel so much better about the game now. It's SO much more fun when you're playing with other people!

I'll continue to upgrade my equipment and armour and hope to play with you again soon!

Tom_Cody

I honestly have one major rule when upgrading armor, I get sets that support new weapons, that being said most low rank sets have some pretty lame bonuses, I would suggest your next set be the gore magala / centaur mix that lets you get sharpness +1 because that's a very useful and versatile skill.

2 Gore pieces (chest and head I believe) + 2 centaur pieces + any leg piece with torso up = Sharpness +1 in LR
Add some decorations and you get speedsharpener on top.
I should have mentioned that I'm a bow user.

Raide

Thanks for joining - I feel so much better about the game now. It's SO much more fun when you're playing with other people!

I'll continue to upgrade my equipment and armour and hope to play with you again soon!

Anytime!

Keep on progressing and getting those items you want. Any questions, just throw them out here for everyone. :D

Alric

Anyone else try to get every maxed version of a weapon from their preferred weapon choice? In MH2 - MH3U, thats how I was with the long sword and now am trying to do so with the Charge Blade.

tuffy

Load up might be harder to get in low rank but normal up should be easy to get along with evade and expert for critical eye.
Mixing a set for Load Up doesn't look all that bad in low rank, actually! Seltas Cap and Leggings, Gore Coat and Gore Vest seems to get the job done in 4 armor pieces. That's even easier than Normal Up which would need a bunch of traded Uragaan bits until one gets to high rank.

S. Magala is a lance user's worst enemy I swear. =\

Finished the urgent though! Time for some G-rank and to find some decent armor. Getting really sick of Tetsu armor lol.

Also, how bad is the 3DS' wireless? I'm getting disconnects in freaking local multi when I'm sitting less than a meter away from the other person's 3DS lol.

OmegaZero

Is it just me, or is (High Rank Caravan) Seregios horrible for GS users?
I can barely get any hits in aside from mounting and aerial flash bombing (which seems to be hit or miss with his movement patterns).
The few openings he does show seem to either require me to take damage (his bird-like claw attack with alternating legs) or only get off a level 2 charge at most (tail swipe and standing scale shot).

Anyone got any tips? Maybe I should switch to an alternate weapon for him?

Tom_Cody

Ahhhh well then, just try going for something where you can get load up or normal up.

Load up might be harder to get in low rank but normal up should be easy to get along with evade and expert for critical eye.

Mixing a set for Load Up doesn't look all that bad in low rank, actually! Seltas Cap and Leggings, Gore Coat and Gore Vest seems to get the job done in 4 armor pieces. That's even easier than Normal Up which would need a bunch of traded Uragaan bits until one gets to high rank.
Thanks guys.

I was ideally just hoping to go for a matched set for simplicity's sake, but it sounds like I will be better off thinking about going for specific skills sooner than later.

tuffy

What would be the most efficient way to farm brach gems? Trying to get my armor set and weapon upgrades.
G rank Brachy tail carving/capturing looks like the best odds, but high rank Brachy tail carving/body carving isn't far behind. I guess it depends on which you have access to and can take down fastest.

After being absolutely crushed that the Rathian gun is now a heavy instead of light, i decided to go after the Rathalos one.
But uh..i can't really understand how the branches work. It looks like I have to start with Cross bowgun+, then upgrade to grenade launcher? Am I looking at that right?

I was a big fan of the Rathian gun because of the rapid fire and the status inflictors. It looks like Rathalos gets some too, but...again im not sure what.

Shengar

Welcome to my world! :lol

Congrats!
I forgot to type that second charm is evade distance! I guess soloing all that G rank Ref Khezu really paid off :p

Really tempted to try serious HBG set with Nibelsnarf X gunner, but I'm still overwhelmed with all the option that gunner arsenals offered.

tuffy

After being absolutely crushed that the Rathian gun is now a heavy instead of light, i decided to go after the Rathalos one.
But uh..i can't really understand how the branches work. It looks like I have to start with Cross bowgun+, then upgrade to grenade launcher? Am I looking at that right?

I was a big fan of the Rathian gun because of the rapid fire and the status inflictors. It looks like Rathalos gets some too, but...again im not sure what.
You're looking at it right. It's an odd upgrade path to be sure. There is a Rathian LBG branch way down the line that apparently rapid-fires poison 2 and clust 1 which is actually a bit of an upgrade from the old Rathian line. The Rathalos line eventually rapid-fires crag like it did before, which means lots of KOs. Though its rapid-fire normal 2 is down to 3 shots I think, which is a slight downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom