• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After being absolutely crushed that the Rathian gun is now a heavy instead of light, i decided to go after the Rathalos one.
But uh..i can't really understand how the branches work. It looks like I have to start with Cross bowgun+, then upgrade to grenade launcher? Am I looking at that right?

I was a big fan of the Rathian gun because of the rapid fire and the status inflictors. It looks like Rathalos gets some too, but...again im not sure what.

You're looking at it right. It's kind of a chore to do, but man it's an AWESOME gun. It has some of the best power for the rarity level, and once you get it to the second tier (Rathling Doombringer) you can rapid fire both Flaming AND Normal 2s. It's a beast of a gun, and I highly recommend the grind.

Raide

I think its Elemental Crit chance. minus number is pretty bad but some upgrade paths sort that out at higher levels.

What is affinity again? I was looking at some Tigrex Blades, but they have like -10 or -15% affinity on them.
Affinity is the percentage chance to either do 75% damage or 125% damage depending if its positive or negative.

So, for example, those Tigrex blades would have a 10% chance to do 75% damage on each hit.

PrankT

Horn question:

If you are playing with a horn user would you prefer Attack Up L and health boost or unlimited stamina and Attack Up S? Both horns add defense, so no biggie there. Seemed like monsters went down a lot faster when I was using Attack Up L for everyone, but I really love unlimited stamina (not to mention this horn costs me 100k!). This is before encore boosts.

la_briola

Horn question:

If you are playing with a horn user would you prefer Attack Up L and health boost or unlimited stamina and Attack Up S? Both horns add defense, so no biggie there. Seemed like monsters went down a lot faster when I was using Attack Up L for everyone, but I really love unlimited stamina (not to mention this horn costs me 100k!). This is before encore boosts.
IMHO: Attack Up L > HG Earplugs > Wind Pressure Negated/Tremor Res > Unlimited Stamina

depths20XX

What's up with people online just killing the monster when the quest requires you to capture it? Been having some bad groups online.

Valus

Wow I used to believe Zinogre was the super saiyan monster. But Rajang has shown me the light. And boulder. And pillar. Fuck that guy. S. Zinogre still has that SSJ4 flair tho.

I have my 7* urgent to get into G-Rank online, and am currently wrapping up 9* Caravan quests to get into Caravan G-Rank. My friends keep asking me to help them with their urgents to get into G-Rank, but I'm just not in a hurry to do it. I like completing all the quests before moving onto the next rank. It's more rewarding to beat them in the gear of that level instead of steamrolling through them later with G-Rank gear. Plus it betters you as a player as it forces you to actually learn the fight instead of just eating hits with super armor.

That being said I am still pretty excited for G-rank so I can finally get my extract extender bug. Almost there...I'm currently rocking HR Akantor Set (looks awesome, Sharpness +1, Hearing, Critical Eye +3),Najarala Glaive for when playing with friends and Shadow Walker Glaive for solo.

Just broke 100 hours yesterday. This game is way too addicting.

LMN

Is there suppose to be something special about the Afro cat that appear randomly in your room? Cause I talked to him many times and nothing happen.

wiibomb

but you can use cheap potions for unlimited stamina.

not exactly "cheap" since you need the dash extracts and those come from gypceros hunts..

and even then you could say the same about the ATK/DEF since you can use the armor drug and demon drug, and those boost the ATK/DEF for the whole quest or until you die

What's up with people online just killing the monster when the quest requires you to capture it? Been having some bad groups online.

warn people before entering the quest, and warn them when you see the monster leap, people always forget these quests exists

PrankT

IMHO: Attack Up L > HG Earplugs > Wind Pressure Negated/Tremor Res > Unlimited Stamina

I am feeling the same way. Was using the Akantor Horn since it was the first non-bagpipe Horn I could make, but Attack Up L was so great. 100k lesson! I should have held onto that Akantor Gem.

la_briola

not exactly "cheap" since you need the dash extracts and those come from gypceros hunts..

and even then you could say the same about the ATK/DEF since you can use the armor drug and demon drug, and those boost the ATK/DEF for the whole quest or until you die
[...]

Fair enough
, but Attack Up L stacks with everything, AFAIK.

Speaking of Hunting Horn, how many buffs can you have going at once? I got one that has a bunch and I love casting them all, but I have no clue which ones stick.

bobohoro

I'm finding myself hardly ready for anything HR. I really need to alter my play style or grasp these monsters attack projections a little better.

I'm winning but it hardly feels good when you finish a fight completely potionless

Yeah, you really need to shake off some of those bad LR habits. I was being way too aggressive with the Charge Blade, always trying fancy combos, not being effective with phials and blocking way too rarely because I didn't want to waste sharpness. Suffice to say, by the time I reached 9* quests in Caravan, monsters were eating me up, carting me and I was knee-deep in bottles of empty potions.

Now I sheathe more, fill up phials with less attacks and block/guard point monsters that have obvious charge attacks like the Tigrex, which can pretty much kill itself by running into my charged shield over and over. A better defensive game will go a long way in making hunts go by faster and with less hurting, especially by the end of HR and into G.

Btw, I finished 9* Caravan and am thinking of what to do next. Is there anything really important in 10* that I should tackle now, or should I focus on battling my way into G-Rank for some early armour upgrades and stuff?

Beats

Speaking of Hunting Horn, how many buffs can you have going at once? I got one that has a bunch and I love casting them all, but I have no clue which ones stick.

Probably all of them. At least with one of the horns I got I can have Attack Boost and Defense Boost L along with All Wind Pressure Negated going on at the same time. Though there are some buffs with short durations like Knockback Protection which might be hard to keep up with everything else.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH4U:_Horn_Melodies
Shows how long songs last with and without Maestro.

Mupod

Probably all of them. At least with one of the horns I got I can have Attack Boost and Defense Boost L along with All Wind Pressure Negated going on at the same time. Though there are some buffs with short durations like Knockback Protection which might be hard to keep up with everything else.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH4U:_Horn_Melodies
Shows how long songs last with and without Maestro.

Bugs me that they changed the Stygian Tristitia's songs in this one. That was the only HH I ever needed.

Apparently they moved its song list onto this:

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/huntinghorn/fatalis-ancient-lute

is it even something you can get in-game right now? Or is it event related?

Kandinsky

I'm excited about the fact that the next handheld from Nintendo should have decent tech. Which means that MH will have finally get out of ps2-wii era graphics. Mind you, I do find MH4U to be a pretty game, especially on an n3ds.

Why do people keep thinking this?, we will get the same but better res/performance graphics, ps2-wii assets for life yo.

VandalD

I'll be filling out my check marks in gathering hall quests until and if someone joins me to hunt whatever. I'm HR5. Newbies are welcome!

Hall: 67-5899-7330-9436
Pass: 1111

demonkaze

I'm up to the HR7 urgent (dalamadur?) and I'm rocking a rath soul set which is upgraded to 430ish defence, is this enough for the start of G Rank or should I get something else (Akantor set looks good)?

On that note, what's a good G Rank set for a Charge Blade user? Also was wondering if the Akantor CB is worth getting, the sharpness is awful on it.

I'm up to the HR7 urgent (dalamadur?) and I'm rocking a rath soul set which is upgraded to 430ish defence, is this enough for the start of G Rank or should I get something else (Akantor set looks good)?

On that note, what's a good G Rank set for a Charge Blade user? Also was wondering if the Akantor CB is worth getting, the sharpness is awful on it.

I need to do the Urgent also. Want to start a room? We can alternate.

Doombear

Gotta find a better way to play on a 3DS. Hope some grips come for N3DS soon.

This game's making my CTS flare up.

I hear ya, my pinky feels broken as hell from holding the bottom of the n3DS XL with it. Old people fingers. -.-

I got this today, after seeing someone in the Accessories Thread mention it (or maybe it was the n3DS OT).

iyWI4IU4IwY8Z.jpg

I can immediately feel less cramping, as I can just keep my fingers behind the system on the back instead of curled around the bottom right. The rounded grip fits perfectly in my palm so the support is there instead of my pinky. Love it so far. Cheap plastic, but it was $3 plus shipping from Eachmall. So far it's exactly what I needed.

Can't get this sucker in my pocket, but I don't even care. Maybe I'll just hang the whole damn thing from my neck with that huge CE lanyard =P

microfolk

Why nobody does send me their guildcard. :(
I send mine to everyone in the guild hall after greetings, is it bad form maybe? I want tons of mindless minions to send out doing quests for me, my guild hall feels so empty sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom