• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pics_nao

10 Seregios back to back breaking everything and no dissenter... I did get that Rathian Ruby that I don't need anymore after 1 hunt though.

Fucking desire sensor.

_Isaac

Lol. Everybody here is talking about super advanced stuff. I finally got my game, and I'm just getting started. It's a slow start, but I think that's good, so I can get used to everything this game has to offer. I just beat a bug monster called Sleten or something. I forget. It took a long time. I always lost it, and I kept forgetting to mark it with a paintball. I finally beat it after like half an hour. My hands were a little cramped too.

H7->H8 Urgent Dalamadur

MH4-Question_Mark_Icon.png

Help, please.

10-0631-8140-6941
still looking for one more

For LR D Mohran, which skill set is better?
Artillery +10, Spd Gather +10
Artillery +20

It's from LR High Metal set. I sadly lack one more slot for Artillery +15.

XaosWolf

Fought Brachydios today. What a pain in the arse he is.
Now I'm farming Rathalos for the cooks Wyporium request, and I'd rather be fighting Brachydios.

The combination of his constant running, constant flying, his fireball spam, him kicking me all over the place every time his toe wiggles, and that awful tilting platform gimmick where your hunter slides when at a 5° angle... Just awful.

Question: Still only on Silver tick for 6* Caravan. Do the Wyporium requests count? Cos there's no one else handing any out.

I believe you have to hit HR7 in the guild hall to unlock some 6* caravan quests. In the original MH4, 6* was the end of the caravan, hence the weird sense of progression lol.

Also check the shrine in Cathar.
I'm on 7*. All available Low Rank Urgent quests have been done.
This progression system makes no sense. "Welcome to High Rank, here's some Low Rank quests instead!"

Seil

Fought Brachydios today. What a pain in the arse he is.
Now I'm farming Rathalos for the cooks Wyporium request, and I'd rather be fighting Brachydios.

The combination of his constant running, constant flying, his fireball spam, him kicking me all over the place every time his toe wiggles, and that awful tilting platform gimmick where your hunter slides when at a 5° angle... Just awful.

Question: Still only on Silver tick for 6* Caravan. Do the Wyporium requests count? Cos there's no one else handing any out.

I believe you have to hit HR7 in the guild hall to unlock some 6* caravan quests. In the original MH4, 6* was the end of the caravan, hence the weird sense of progression lol.

Also check the shrine in Cathar.

Seil

I'm on 7*. All available Low Rank Urgent quests have been done.
This progression system makes no sense. "Welcome to High Rank, here's some Low Rank quests instead!"

Yeah, you need to progress in the guild hall part to unlock the end of Caravan 6. At HR7, you should be able to get more quests in the caravan from the guy in the shrine in Cathar, I believe. I've not actually focused much on Caravan 6 personally.

In MH4, there was no high rank caravan, outside of the monsters in 6* that happen to be high rank. These quests were the endgame for the solo part.

MH4G/U added Caravan 7+ and the content therein. So, since the game doesn't end at Shagaru, it branches off into actually continuing the story or doing the 6* stuff.

yami4ct

Alright, got the Dalmadur urgent. Finally made it guys! Anyone that wants to help is more than welcome.

ID:16-4583-8776-0734

Just finally made my first end game insect glaive: Hazy Caster (Chameleos) with effect extender bug. I'm in love with the 2 minute triple up. If I'm feeling really lazy (read: high rank or lower quests) I'll do a double up red/white, wait until it's almost out, then grab orange. This leads me to bring to send my bug out maybe 8 times a fight. Incredible.

And once I get another Lrg Elder Dragon Bone, it'll have 150 spd (it's at 14x). Man, this is great.

Just about to make a mixed set for G rank, should be excellent. I'll be farming a few Kushala Daora tomorrow, I bet.

Shengar

For LR D Mohran, which skill set is better?
Artillery +10, Spd Gather +10
Artillery +20

It's from LR High Metal set. I sadly lack one more slot for Artillery +15.
If you positioned yourself correctly when Dahren die, you can earn all the carve without speed carving. Just make sure you're on its right side (left from player perspectiv) when it die.

If you positioned yourself correctly when Dahren die, you can earn all the carve without speed carving. Just make sure you're on its right side (left from player perspectiv) when it die.

I was thinking of Speed Gathering for the faster ballista/cannon pickup. How many carves can you get from him? I think I only got 9 when the quest ended?

tm24

Yay. Finished my Gore/Ceanataur set! Along with my G. Magala sword, im now rocking a white sword at caravan 5. This is gonna be fun!

PKrockin

I'm getting a really crazy idea to put Guard +2 on a heavy bowgun armor set and just tank hits with a shield add-on repeatedly instead of dodging. Then I can keep firing Normal shells in the monster's face. Is this possible or does the HBG shield still give you pushback and chip damage from most things?

Don't know if I just disconnected or the room died out on us, but sorry about that and I hope the rest of y'all were able to finish up.
no idea, I was left alone. wasn't my urgent I got mine already right before it, thanks a lot. anyways I very very very slowly was able to finish that solo.

H40->G1 Urgent Ukanlos

MH4-Question_Mark_Icon.png

Help, please.
67-6758-7277-9757
pw 2580

closing room for now

yami4ct

Finally made it to G! Woo. Took significantly longer than it did in 3U, but the final HR quests were way better as well. Aknator, Teostra, Kushala Daora, Dah'ren Mohran, Dalamadur and Ukanlos are so much better a quest set than a handful of subspecies, Deviljho and Goldbeard Ceadeus (ugh).

Dalmadur was everything I've been wanting from a big Monster Hunter boss since I started playing it. Just massive, Godzilla Kaiju style beast. Loved how trying to navigate around the monster to find the parts you want is actually part of the sort of puzzle of the fight. Just a really interesting, fun, imposing boss. I couldn't even see my party half the time and that just added to the mystique of it. So much better than Ceadeus. Hope they continue to do one or two of these kind of massive beast fights every Monster Hunter game.

Not sure if any of my party were Gaf members, but I assume they were. If you were in there, thanks a ton! Really helped out. Looking froward to being able to hunt G-Rank with you guys now.

Peru

Lol. Everybody here is talking about super advanced stuff. I finally got my game, and I'm just getting started. It's a slow start, but I think that's good, so I can get used to everything this game has to offer. I just beat a bug monster called Sleten or something. I forget. It took a long time. I always lost it, and I kept forgetting to mark it with a paintball. I finally beat it after like half an hour. My hands were a little cramped too.

The one negative to Monster Hunter games - seeing people leaving you behind in the dust. I'm usually not one to rush through games at the best of times, preferring to take things in or rather just playing a little each day, but this time I was knocked out for 8+ days not even gaming at all so I feel so far behind. It's good though, no need to stress. Finally started doing some online quests last night and am a fight or two away from high rank in village. Just take things at your own tempo, there will always be other players at your level.

Seil

What's the difference between an Element Phial Charge Blade and an Impact Phial Charge Blade with an element?

An Elemental phial deals elemental damage when using the axe mode's burst attacks while the Impact phials explode.

Elemental phials will deal more damage to an elemental weak point, while impact phials will deal a stable amount of damage regardless of position and defenses(and help with KOing).

An elemental phial is superior damage when used properly, but the impact phials have extra utility and work equally well no matter the monster.

Elija2

An Elemental phial deals elemental damage when using the axe mode's burst attacks while the Impact phials explode.

Elemental phials will deal more damage to an elemental weak point, while impact phials will deal a stable amount of damage regardless of position and defenses(and help with KOing).

An elemental phial is superior damage when used properly, but the impact phials have extra utility and work equally well no matter the monster.

But if an Impact Phial CB has an element then it also does a bit of elemental damage?

Liethe

But if an Impact Phial CB has an element then it also does a bit of elemental damage?
yes. the element value displayed on the weapon works on any hit regardless of if you have phials filled or not. Whatever damage is added on the actual phial-using hits is separate.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Started playing yesterday. Still on the basic village quests. Man I want to fight a Kecha Wacha though. Have to fight the urge to go online, I promised myself I would do it too early this time!

Seil

Yes. Think of raw, element and phial all separately.

All of your hits are going to deal elemental damage appropriate for your weapon's element and the monster's resistance to it. The phial burst is an extra for the A attacks in axe mode. The first attack is one burst, second is two and the third varies. Super is three bursts while the ultra becomes increasingly powerful depending on how many phials you have for it to expend.

Those bursts are either elemental or explosive, depending on the phial. So an elemental phial weapon is going to get a lot of extra elemental damage. When used on a weak point with the appropriate element it can easily outdamage an impact phial in most cases. Meanwhile, the explosions of an impact phial will deal the same damage regardless of weak points and so on. An explosion to the leg is the same as an explosion to the head damage-wise, even if the leg takes less normal damage. Of course, an explosion to the head is going to help stun the monster.

Edit: I suppose I should note that the damage for an impact phial's bursts is calculated from your raw and an elemental phial's burst is calculated from your element, though. So, higher element also means higher elemental bursts. And higher raw means stronger impact bursts. So don't think of them TOO separately.

Elija2

yes. the element value displayed on the weapon works on any hit regardless of if you have phials filled or not. Whatever damage is added on the actual phial-using hits is separate.

So if I'm fighting a monster that's resistant to that element then I'll do less damage to it overall?

Liethe

So if I'm fighting a monster that's resistant to that element then I'll do less damage to it overall?
Less damage only compared to a weapon that has an element that would work better on that monster. In the worst case scenario against a monster that completely nullifies your element, your amount of raw damage on the weapon will still of course work fully.

Elija2

Less damage only compared to a weapon that has an element that would work better on that monster. In the worst case scenario against a monster that completely nullifies your element, your amount of raw damage on the weapon will still of course work fully.

Oh, so it's always better to have a weapon with an element than one with no element (assuming their stats are the same)?

Liethe

Oh, so it's always better to have a weapon with an element than one with no element (assuming their stats are the same)?
I would say so yes, but usually it doesnt equal out like that assuming both weapons are the same rarity. Elementless weapons tend to have something else going for them whether it's more sharpness or affinity or something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom