• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilium

so what's a decent defense value for going into g-rank? i've seen ~400 but that's obviously for blademaster, because that value is pretty much impossible to achieve as a gunner in high rank. so i guess it's ~200? i'm at ~280 right now and wonder how far into g-rank that will get me?

edit. i mean, i know i should probably make a g-rank set asap, but i need Load Up and preferably evasion, and the Kushala X set is so far away.. :\

Definitely get stamina thief, HH is a beast in exhausting monsters. Dealing the final blow on a B.Tigrex with a rectal is the best btw..

giggle.gif

Saro

I think you can, but you should use either the MH Dex or karanico to look fr a set with those skill.. just take into account that those skill are very special ones and you might find them until later sets

what I'm trying to say is that you might need to build another set before one with those skills

Handicraft was never rare before third gen, just annoying to get. In MHFU you could get it on full low rank Ceanataur if you were willing to get four Monoblos hearts to make the gems needed.

You really shouldn't be using third gen as any sort of barometer for this game as it has much more in common with the second.

Mono S armor (Monoblos is the urgent to reach 8*) gemmed for attack up xl and adrenaline +2. Always have your axe mode charged (I'm not talking about the phials). Never use the ultra unless you're both sure it will hit and your charge is running out. Elemental damage really matters on this weapon so you'lll need to make a lot to remain effective. Master your guard points, they'll really save your ass and be a good way to damage a monster where other weapons can't.

Thanks for the info. I feel like now I have something to work for again :)

upandaway

I have to say I'm really loving the caravan area theme, I could sit there for hours. Needs a night version though, Moga Night is my favorite MH track.

Expeditions are also cool.

Ridley327

They're not all "Low Rank"

Oh, I know (the Gravios quest took forever), but just when I think I'm done with it, they throw something else at you. I've got what appears to be the final Cowardly Felyne quest and the Dahren urgent lined up, so I can't imagine what else they could throw at you in LR at this point.

Kinsei

Banned
Please explain this, because I've never known it.
So you keep unlocking these 6* Caravan quests, and the higher your HR is online, the more you unlock. So, are not all of these monsters Low Rank?

Yep. Once you reach HR4 you unlock a few high rank quests and you'll keep getting more every rank up until you reach HR7.

If I ever get to G rank I will definitely be using the Nargacuga armor for my bow set.

Evade Distance Up, Evade+2, and Sneak by default make it good for multiplayer. After that getting Focus and Loading on it would be a priority I think.

Kinsei

Banned
But they show up as 6* quests, which I thought was low rank - so they're not low rank quests then.

6* is the MH4 single player post-game so it doesn't follow the same rules as the other quest tiers. Most of the 6* quests are low rank, but there's a handful that aren't. The same also goes for 10* quests where it's a mix of high rank and G rank quests.

bobohoro

But they show up as 6* quests, which I thought was low rank - so they're not low rank quests then.

Easiest way to see which quests feature HR monsters is to look at the requirements featured in the quest info. If there is none, it's LR, if you need HR4 or above, it's HR. Same for 10* quests and G-Rank monsters requiring HR8 and above.

wiibomb

Easiest way to see which quests feature HR monsters is to look at the requirements featured in the quest info. If there is none, it's LR, if you need HR4 or above, it's HR. Same for 10* quests and G-Rank monsters requiring HR8 and above.

that doesn't appy to the caravan quests since they only require to be unlocked, what you ar talking are the guild Hunter Rank quests which are only at the guild hall or dundorma

zogged

Oh man, what was just gonna be a regular khezu hunt went completely tits up when a deviljho came out of nowhere and wrecked me. Is there anything that controls other monsters showing up in missions or is it random?

R0ckman

Oh man, what was just gonna be a regular khezu hunt went completely tits up when a deviljho came out of nowhere and wrecked me. Is there anything that controls other monsters showing up in missions or is it random?

It's not random, if it has "DANGER" in the description that means you have a certain amount of time before another monster appears or there will be a monster there (if it's a harvest quest).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
edit: ^

If you obtain the skill Gamechanger from eating, and the quest has the possibility for a large monster to show up, then it will. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw if a monster will show up and which one it will be. Some quest always have a secondary monster show up that's not part of the Quest.

Kinsei

Banned

If you see a question mark with "Danger" on it when selecting the quest then it's possible to have another boss spawn. The only thing you can do to affect it is eating and getting the felyne gamechanger skill which makes the chance of the boss spawning 100%. Next time bring dung bombs just in case.

lyrick

that doesn't appy to the caravan quests since they only require to be unlocked, what you ar talking are the guild Hunter Rank quests which are only at the guild hall or dundorma

No, Caravan 6* is goofy.

I finally got my Red Checkmark After knocking out High Rank Frenzied B. Tigrex which required HR5 in the Gathering hall to unlock.

HR4 unlocks 3 HR Monster Caravan quests (after talking to townfolk).
HR5 unlocks 4 or 5 HR Monster Caravan Quests.

Everything about those quests is HR except that you start at camp with supplies.

Kandinsky

For the Link costume DLC, do we have to hunt something for a quest or will the items be there to craft the gear like the Mario ones from the starter package?, I really hope it's the former.

There are definitely some 6* Caravan quests that require a certain Hunter Rank to unlock. I just hit HR4 last night, and got a few new 6* Caravan quests.

Mupod

Does the N3DS get a brief moment of slowdown when a new monster spawns in? My OG 3DS chugs for a second or so, it actually is quite useful as a warning.

Anyways, I soloed a very annoying brute tigrex to finish off HR6 and got my Shigeru Miyamoto gathering hall urgent up. Doubt I'll have time to do it until Thursday though.

I also farmed just enough Stygian Zinogres to make the set, then realized I don't really want the set. Maybe I could make some Stiggy weapons, but the 4U nerf to his hunting horn makes me sad.

Vuze

For the Link costume DLC, do we have to hunt something for a quest or will the items be there to craft the gear like the Mario ones from the starter package?, I really hope it's the former.
Yeah, for event stuff you gotta do event quests to get the special materials. I was actually pretty surprised that they randomly gave out the Mario shrooms via the eShop way, that was a primer if I'm not mistaken.

If you wanna spoil yourself for the Link costume quest:
Zinogre, Kirin and Rajang in the arena.

Does the N3DS get a brief moment of slowdown when a new monster spawns in? My OG 3DS chugs for a second or so, it actually is quite useful as a warning.

Anyways, I soloed a very annoying brute tigrex to finish off HR6 and got my Shigeru Miyamoto gathering hall urgent up. Doubt I'll have time to do it until Thursday though.

I also farmed just enough Stygian Zinogres to make the set, then realized I don't really want the set. Maybe I could make some Stiggy weapons, but the 4U nerf to his hunting horn makes me sad.

It most certainly does. I'm on normal 3DS, though.

On that note, unlike most people, I absolutely LOVE it when an unexpected monster appears. It's like a "Who's it gonna be?" moment of anticipation, and makes the quest more fun!

Kandinsky

Yeah, for event stuff you gotta do event quests to get the special materials. I was actually pretty surprised that they randomly gave out the Mario shrooms via the eShop way, that was a primer if I'm not mistaken.

Awesome, thanks :D!

Edit: speaking of that, the Mario Palico gear seems to be OP at lower rank, maybe thats the reason the game seems almost too easy early on.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It most certainly does. I'm on normal 3DS, though.

On that note, unlike most people, I absolutely LOVE it when an unexpected monster appears. It's like a "Who's it gonna be?" moment of anticipation, and makes the quest more fun!

I still have nightmares from just fighting something in 3U and then the music suddenly changes to the deviljho theme and I turn around and he's just standing there roaring at me.

Mupod

They weren't kidding when they said this is the biggest MH yet. For comparison 3U had 51 boss monsters.

I appreciate the huge variety - especially in equipment, which dwarfs all other MH games. It wasn't enough to include tons of monsters, they even put in gear from monsters not in the games. And that relic weapon/armor nonsense that I haven't quite figured out yet.

I still don't think some of the 2nd gen revamps got enough of an overhaul. Rathalos and Rathian in Tri were like totally different fights, but Gravios for example is pretty lame. Tri felt like a proper generational leap but severely lacked content - 4U seemed more focused on improving the content and basic gameplay. Not complaining, but sometimes you want to have your cake and eat it too.

Frenzy is a fun mechanic that mixes things up even further. It makes the fights more frantic and, if you're playing correctly, faster. The Wystone boost and intentionally infecting yourself can result in some pretty crazy damage.

I still have nightmares from just fighting something in 3U and then the music suddenly changes to the deviljho theme and I turn around and he's just standing there roaring at me.

Joe was legit terrifying in Tri but I just got used to him in that game. It was a mind blown moment when I realized Tri's 'spotted by a monster' music actually is the opening notes for Joe's theme, like it was foreshadowing him all along.

Zeldana

Neo Member
Yup, noticed it for the first time in the Everwood a couple days ago. On an OG 3DS myself. Of course it's not quite as handy when the monster literally spawns on top of you, but I'm OK with running away and letting the two monsters spar among themselves for a while.

I main DBs but I'm looking to try HH, CB, and maybe LBG this time around. I played with DBs in 3U as well with the Bow as my secondary weapon, but I really wanted to learn HH and figured now's the best chance to jump in.

Ridley327

Yeah, that's always been a thing. The little hiccup generates a lot of excitement for me, so it's a nice little "feature."

wiibomb

yes, it has happened everytime on my n3DS, it seems only on a respawn though...

Mupod

Thankfully, no lagstabbing to be fearful of!

Oh god, I just thought of a lagstabbing Deviljho.

This game's got that magic PSO netcode most of the time but once in a while you get weird lagginess. Teleporting monsters are pretty scary when you're in paper gunner armor.

Dreavus

Hey guys, is there any purpose to keeping duplicate guild quests? I.E. Same monster and around the same level? I read that if you complete it, levels up anyway (and you keep the quest, I guess?)

I'm pretty sure I have a whole bunch of starter level velocidrome ones lined up for some reason.

Quadraxis

So GAF, any tips for gathering sets? I just got to caravan 8* and thought about doing some farming so any advice on farming sets is welcome :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom