• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shurayuki

The gong you refer to is right beside the table for eating, but I think you are mixing up hunter for hire with the gong. If I remember right, the gong only advertises the room to everyone, so randoms can join if they couldn't already (passcoded). Hunters for hire come from guild cards (can pass them out online) and are only useable in single player. From solo gathering hall, you can send them out on quests to get stuff.

You can set which quests will be available for your HfH using the gong settings if you're offline.

If you're online you can change the room settings there yeah.

ilium

How is Ukanlos compared to Dalamadur?

pretty cool!

happy-ba-dum-tss-l.png

edit. aw, damn. i confused dalamadur with akantor. ._.

upandaway

Just did the Tetsu with the Insect Glaive. I'm still so bad at it, I got him to sleep and then I ran out of potions. I thought I'm dead, threw the insect at him... and he died. Phew! Haha.

If this is happening now, I really don't know how far I will last with this challenge. I'll try going as far as I can, but holy crap the stone smash did like 80% to me.

I guess I would have had a much easier time if I didn't use the Glaive... I really need to get used to the power+ combos, they're hard to use. I'll stick to using my trusty lance for first time monsters though.

This really livened up the music at the volcano, I wonder if the previous music will show up again.

Question guys. I'm trying to unlock the whale hammer and I already did the huntathon for zinogre but I didn't see the two black gravios which according to Kiranico is the next hunt in the chain. Did I forget something?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Question guys. I'm trying to unlock the whale hammer and I already did the huntathon for zinogre but I didn't see the two black gravios which according to Kiranico is the next hunt in the chain. Did I forget something?

Did you talk to everyone with a speech bubble / did you do the other quests?

Maybe you have to do a quest in the meantime for their next quest to pop up?

To go online, you have to use the menu from the world map. create a gathering hall only makes a lobby, which after you make one you can choose quests like normal. All of the options there are just info on the room, but you can leave it default.

The gong you refer to is right beside the table for eating, but I think you are mixing up hunter for hire with the gong. If I remember right, the gong only advertises the room to everyone, so randoms can join if they couldn't already (passcoded). Hunters for hire come from guild cards (can pass them out online) and are only useable in single player. From solo gathering hall, you can send them out on quests to get stuff.

Ok great, that helps thanks.

So is there any benefit to joining someone else's room rather than completing my own quests in a room of my own making? I'm keen to progress and I'm also wary of jumping in to someones high level quest.

Mupod

So on Dahren Mohran, he only has two breakable parts on his back right? One in each 'section'? With those parts being the equivalent of Jhen's back scales, where you want to break them with your weapon and move on.

I'm not sure what to do with the anti dragon bombs in that case. Is there some way to get up on his horn and place them? The one time I fought him, I broke it with the dragonator in the final phase.

upandaway

Is it just me or are decorations a lot more expensive than before? Gathering and Spd. Gathering has no business requiring this many parts, it's crazy

Mupod

Is it just me or are decorations a lot more expensive than before? Gathering and Spd. Gathering has no business requiring this many parts, it's crazy

More than once I've been happily crafting decorations then suddenly everything's greyed-out and I'm broke as a joke. Don't remember that happening in other games.

lyrick

So on Dahren Mohran, he only has two breakable parts on his back right? One in each 'section'? With those parts being the equivalent of Jhen's back scales, where you want to break them with your weapon and move on.

I'm not sure what to do with the anti dragon bombs in that case. Is there some way to get up on his horn and place them? The one time I fought him, I broke it with the dragonator in the final phase.

I'm almost certain you can break through the crown/wall like portion near the front blowhole and access the horn. There are a couple of mining spots behind it as well.

For you MH pros, how many potions do you go through in a fight that you consider "went well".

Also, if I'm not bouncing my attacks, is the number of times I have to sharpen a good rough way to gauge how much damage I've done to a monster?

PrankT

I see a lot of comments about soloing in HR. Perhaps I'm the only person who never goes for monsters in HR alone. It takes too long and is wayyyyyyyy more fun with other people. If you have the option, play with other people! Even if you have no clue what to do. I got carried on a few monsters that I had never seen before, but I will pass that knowledge along by helping someone else next time. It's all part of the experience.

Kinsei

Banned
For you MH pros, how many potions do you go through in a fight that you consider "went well".

Also, if I'm not bouncing my attacks, is the number of times I have to sharpen a good rough way to gauge how much damage I've done to a monster?

What rank? In low rank I only use the three first-aid meds. In high rank I consider a no cart run where I only use 3-5 regular potions a good run. I haven't made it to G rank yet.

I see a lot of comments about soloing in HR. Perhaps I'm the only person who never goes for monsters in HR alone. It takes too long and is wayyyyyyyy more fun with other people. If you have the option, play with other people! Even if you have no clue what to do. I got carried on a few monsters that I had never seen before, but I will pass that knowledge along by helping someone else next time. It's all part of the experience.

between 10 and 15 minutes (my average time for the HR6 and 7 high rank monsters) isn't a long time. Even HP tanks like Gravios and Black Gravios go down in under 15.

Mzo

If you only used a couple of megas you're probably doing fine.

Not really, because WHERE you hit the monster makes a huge difference in damage. I'd use the monster flinches if anything.

Diablo's minions do not grow stronger with more players, so it's always beneficial to have people along when doing guild stuff. The randoms online tend to be a) Hispanic and b) pretty good at the game.

tuffy

Against something like Rathian that I've really got down, I won't use any potions at all. If I'm really in the zone, I don't even get hit at all. But against monsters I'm still working on, 2-3 mega potions seems more typical. Stuff I've just met takes more but that's natural.

Vire

It really depends. I always feel really good if I didn't use any healing at all except my palico's in low rank. Only 1-2 mega pots in High and not carting in G rank.

However there are times when I am willing to take an extra hit or two if I think its going to cut down the total time of the hunt like going for a risky KO or being extra aggressive to prevent a monster from zoning. I guess what I am trying to say is I am way more interested in how long the hunt takes vs how much healing. To me its no great challenge to play extra cautiously and not get hit but getting sub 10 min runs is my marker if I am on target or not.

Peru

I'm better now and feel dirty wasting too many potions, but when I first got into MH through Tri I basically considered any no-cart hunt successful, unless it took forever. Multiplayer is sometimes messier though, you end up going for things you shouldn't and at least I, personally, don't play as cleanly and well as in singleplayer.

Vire

I'm better now and feel dirty wasting too many potions, but when I first got into MH through Tri I basically considered any no-cart hunt successful, unless it took forever. Multiplayer is sometimes messier though, you end up going for things you shouldn't and at least I, personally, don't play as cleanly and well as in singleplayer.

Its much harder to predict the AI when its multiplayer so this is pretty normal I think. Some times you expect the monster to do something because it would normally do it when you are soloing but then it decides to charge a player on the other side of the map behind you.

Anura

Its much harder to predict the AI when its multiplayer so this is pretty normal I think. Some times you expect the monster to do something because it would normally do it when you are soloing but then it decides to charge a player on the other side of the map behind you.

Also sometimes a charging monster like diablos will go after a player running just in front of you so when you try to dodge it the normal way he just plows through you

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I totally thought Tigrex was going to be a big tiger. Instead it was a leapy dragon. Like goddamn that motherfucker leaps across an entire stage. Wasn't too bad of a fight, tho. You just have to know he'll leap and run at you.

Cerity

So GAF, any tips for gathering sets? I just got to caravan 8* and thought about doing some farming so any advice on farming sets is welcome :D

Leather armour is pretty dece and cheap if you're just gathering. Both the LR and HR vers give you gathering +1 and speed gathering, LR version has Whim but you should be able to gem that in pretty easily on the HR ver. Either that or boost gathering all the way up really.

Also crouch to gather faster, saves you from going through the animation of it. With speedgather you can gather twice as fast as someone standing w/o speed gather. I've got it as a chat thing for when I do d. mohran lol, our fastest clear time on the LR ver is 7-8 mins I think :D

upandaway

Maaan they really do a ton of damage. Still not enough to make me upgrade my armor but I'm thinking about just using mega potions already.

The new Lance jump is so fun to use that I keep spamming it and getting hurt :lol

Agreed on everything, though if it's a new monster or I haven't used the weapon in a while (I'm pretty rusty with the lance), I'll cut myself some slack

wiibomb

Maaan they really do a ton of damage. Still not enough to make me upgrade my armor but I'm thinking about just using mega potions already.

The new Lance jump is so fun to use that I keep spamming it and getting hurt :lol

I don't know how you are managing without mega potions, may be you are really good, but for me I always carry 10 of each.. even herbs.. one does never know when they are needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom