• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to monster hunter

Thoughts on auto guard for cb?

Started using it and it seems really good
You run the risk of relying on it, and you might be in for a rude awakening later in the game when you take it off because a certain armor skill blend requires so.

Also, auto-guard activates for everything, so you might find yourself in a situation where you decided to auto block a quick succession of harmless stuff like chip damage, wind pressure, etc only to find yourself eating an actual attack due to running out of stamina on the minor stuff.

Juraash

Got myself to HR6 last night, that black Gravios quest was so annoying. I made it harder on myself by meleeing his ass and just playing solo. I really need to step back from progression soon and build a damn bow set. Gravios and friends were such jokes in MHFU with a bow and I have some decent ones built already.

The keys leading to HR7 seem...a bit scary. Stygian Zinogre is one of my weaker hunts, but he also has a pretty solid set for bows iirc. Maybe I'll farm him a bit offline for practice.

Gonna shoot for G-Rank (hopefully) this weekend. I don't know how feasible it is to solo those urgents, but I may give it a few tries before I try grouping. That being said, I always seem to burn out before I hit g-rank, probably because I go solo. Maybe I should take the plunge with group play since I'm pretty determined to play g-rank this time around.

Never got an answer for this question, is the in-game friend request system different from the main 3DS one?

A little, in that it is better, and works the way the main 3DS system should work. You don't have to manually add the other person back. Yu send a request, they accept, and you are both added to each other's 3ds friends list.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The keys leading to HR7 seem...a bit scary. Stygian Zinogre is one of my weaker hunts, but he also has a pretty solid set for bows iirc. Maybe I'll farm him a bit offline for practice.

Gonna shoot for G-Rank (hopefully) this weekend. I don't know how feasible it is to solo those urgents, but I may give it a few tries before I try grouping. That being said, I always seem to burn out before I hit g-rank, probably because I go solo. Maybe I should take the plunge with group play since I'm pretty determined to play g-rank this time around.

The HR6 keys that lead you to HR7 aren't as bad as they seem. I think the hardest one is probably the Stygian Zinogre because of his weird ass hitbox on the back flippy tail slam. Also the constant dragonblight is hell if you're using element heavy weapons.

The ones that are true hell are the HR7keys that lead you into G rank. I've tried to do Akantor like 8 times now and every single time my group totally bungles it. That one move akantor does where he does like a swipe followed by a tail slap is guaranteed to cart some one who doesn't realize how much damage it does.

Teostra is even worse when it comes to people who don't know what they're in for.

I still haven't managed to find a group of people who can finish the key's, I might just solo them but ugh. I'd rather just work together with people so it's less stressful.

Mupod

Got myself to HR6 last night, that black Gravios quest was so annoying. I made it harder on myself by meleeing his ass and just playing solo. I really need to step back from progression soon and build a damn bow set. Gravios and friends were such jokes in MHFU with a bow and I have some decent ones built already.

I'm taking my time and only just finished my HR6 keys. I solo a lot, more so in this game than 3U since there's no convenient GAF lobby to jump into. Wish the friends list was more detailed, I can see people playing online but I don't want to jump online and shit up their lobbies with my high rank nonsense.

I will definitely make the push to G this weekend, though. Before that I'd like to clean up some more of my caravan quests and fight the elder dragons and Rajang alone.

On that subject does anyone know why Akantor didn't pop up after beating the Najarala as part of the cowardly felyne's quest chain? Do I need to do something in the gathering hall?

A little, in that it is better, and works the way the main 3DS system should work. You don't have to manually add the other person back. Yu send a request, they accept, and you are both added to each other's 3ds friends list.

It baffles me how it's way more easy to add someone through MH4U than through nintendo's stupid friend code exchange system.

R0ckman

I solo'd up to HR7, so it's possible. I'd reccomend playing with people though, it gets boring trying to shoot up by yourself, because of the monsters robotic AI it's not interesting.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to use the uh...i guess it's the calling ability? Like, in MH3U, you could tap the screen and call one of your shakas.

I know its possible to do if you have that icon on your bottom screen, but i dont have that configuration, so im wondering if its in a menu somewhere.

I notice sometimes when i set up traps my kitties are still on the other side of the area fighting, and i'd like to call them over.

R0ckman

I always thought that this was a restriction by Nintendo. Why the hell are other games not set up to do this?

Mupod

I just realized I've done my last 80+ hunts with this Najarala HBG. I should really make something else, I was thinking the Kushala Daora gun for pierce but I've yet to unlock him.

I'm also curious if anyone has drawn up a quick list on which monsters I should stick to normal 2, normal 3, or pierce 2/3 on. I generally just go on intuition, but I'm curious what other people do. My current process consists of googling the Japanese name of monsters, and putting that + ヘビィボウガン (heavy bowgun) into youtube. Then I pick a video that looks like a speedrun and see what shot type they are using. It's awfully clunky. Does help that HBG is a popular speedrun weapon though.

edit: why do they all blow themselves up with felvine bombs. I'm confused, Japan.

la_briola

The n3ds cybergadet grip is here!

0w3eYz6h.jpg

Album: http://imgur.com/a/ZTPcj

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
edit: why do they all blow themselves up with felvine bombs. I'm confused, Japan.

It serves two purposes

Might Pill doesn't have a visible debuff icon and felvyne bombs debuff which doesnt do anything has the exact same duration, so you know exactly when to pop a second pill.

Additionally the recovery animation from using an item (where you do the pose) is cancelled by the explosion which takes place after the buff is already active from using the item. This means that you not only cancel the animation but you also propel yourself forward into the next zone. Basically doing an action you wouldn't be able to do until you finished posing.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That grip makes me want to get a CPP, so my XL can stop being such a pain, but I don't want to if they are going to release the normal n3DS here and I'll just upgrade soon, so the uncertainty of the normal n3DS coming here or not carries an additional dimension of annoyance.

Fucking Nintendo...

Beartruck

For 4 star caravan quests, is it better to have a set of rathian armor, or cenataur armor? I'm a longsword user, so I want the sharpening, but I'm not sure if that is better than the extra health and fire damage.

Dreavus

It serves two purposes

Might Pill doesn't have a visible debuff icon and felvyne bombs debuff which doesnt do anything has the exact same duration, so you know exactly when to pop a second pill.

Additionally the recovery animation from using an item (where you do the pose) is cancelled by the explosion which takes place after the buff is already active from using the item. This means that you not only cancel the animation but you also propel yourself forward into the next zone. Basically doing an action you wouldn't be able to do until you finished posing.

Knocking themselves into the next zone I understood right away, but I found out about the buff/debuff timers matching up yesterday. Pretty clever!

Dice

For 4 star caravan quests, is it better to have a set of rathian armor, or cenataur armor? I'm a longsword user, so I want the sharpening, but I'm not sure if that is better than the extra health and fire damage.
You can get extra health and damage from the kitchen and items. Sharpening speed (and cutting dulling speed in half) is only gonna come from armor skills.

ohlawd

anyone dumb enough

I mean, awesome enough to finish some G2 quests with little ol' me. couple keys to unlock the rest of G2, get some of the research lab stuff done, blah blah

if not, I'll do G2 with randoms

Can anyone help me out with something, I'd like to get a bow to mess around with, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm HR7 if that makes a difference.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So is the akantor greatsword good? It's got a ton of raw but abysmal sharpness, it looks almost worthless unless you're only going for level 3 charges.

tuffy

I'm also curious if anyone has drawn up a quick list on which monsters I should stick to normal 2, normal 3, or pierce 2/3 on. I generally just go on intuition, but I'm curious what other people do.
I've just been winging it.

I'll use pellet if I need to target multiple monsters at once (drome + little dromes, Seltas + Seltas Queen) or the target is especially bouncy (Kirin) and there's nobody else around to hit.

I'll use pierce if the target seems especially long (Najarala), large (Dah'ren Mohran) or durable (Gravios).

I'll use normal on smallish targets (Congalala) or just as a general-purpose shot.

But good pierce guns are at short supply at the stage of the game I'm at, so it's hard to judge if my choices are optimal or not.

Anura

I'll use pellet if I need to target multiple monsters at once (drome + little dromes, Seltas + Seltas Queen) or the target is especially bouncy (Kirin) and there's nobody else around to hit.

I'll use pierce if the target seems especially long (Najarala), large (Dah'ren Mohran) or durable (Gravios).

I'll use normal on smallish targets (Congalala) or just as a general-purpose shot.

But good pierce guns are at short supply at the stage of the game I'm at, so it's hard to judge if my choices are optimal or not.

Well at least when you get to Gogmazios you can make his HBG. It's the pierce gun I've been using and it seems really good.

Mupod

so wait, if I shoot Najarala in the nose, will it travel along his body or just exit through the back of his head? I usually go normal 2 on him and aim for the face - it staggers very fast and often so I'm doing something right.

I heard pellet has been nerfed and doesn't 'magnetize' so I've been avoiding it - I've only fought one Kirin and I had little trouble landing normal 2 on its horn. I did used to farm it with a pellet gun in FU though, that was insanely broken.

Valus

So is the akantor greatsword good? It's got a ton of raw but abysmal sharpness, it looks almost worthless unless you're only going for level 3 charges.

I have it and love it. Only on HR atm though, but I have Sharpness +1 so it comes with enough green to not really bounce on anything. Plus the sword itself is fucking huge AND evolves/becomes even bigger when you triple charge it. It's awesome. I took off Jho's tail with just one fully charged super slam + swipe. So satisfying.

bobohoro

that doesn't appy to the caravan quests since they only require to be unlocked, what you ar talking are the guild Hunter Rank quests which are only at the guild hall or dundorma

Nope, specific Caravan quests for 6* LR will only unlock with a certain HR (the later cowardly palico questline for example) and those quests will also list the requirement on the quest info screen. If you are unsure if 6* quests have HR monsters in them, that's the easiest indication of it.

Same thing with the 10* Caravan quests and G monsters, I'd assume, am not quite there yet.

I'm new to monster hunter

Thoughts on auto guard for cb?

Started using it and it seems really good

It's a crutch I wouldn't rely on, since you will want to drop it later on for better talisman or more control. With CB it can especially hinder your skill growth, as you want to learn your guard points and how to use them right, instead of relying on auto guard.

TheExodu5

Banned
How is Hunting Horn solo? I love the moveset and the reach, but wonder if I'm better off sticking to something else for singleplayer.

Beats

Finished up my early Grank gunner set:
Ice Res +15 (Came with the Talisman I got)
Recoil Down+1
Evasion+1
Evade Extender
Pierce Up

Using the Hermitaur Z Cap, Vest, Leggings along with a Butterfly Manus X and Chrome Metal Coat for Torso Up. Only thing I'm worried about is defense, but I shouldn't be getting hit. These G monsters hit me pretty hard though when I do get hit :x

tuffy

Well at least when you get to Gogmazios you can make his HBG. It's the pierce gun I've been using and it seems really good.
I'm nearing the end of high rank so it'll be a little while, but I've also heard good things about the Gravios gun and one of the Fatalis ones.
so wait, if I shoot Najarala in the nose, will it travel along his body or just exit through the back of his head? I usually go normal 2 on him and aim for the face - it staggers very fast and often so I'm doing something right.
I presume it'll just keep heading straight, so it depends which way he's facing. But when he's coiled around a Palico or a teammate it seems like there's a decent chunk of hitzones to pierce through even when not facing him head-on.
I heard pellet has been nerfed and doesn't 'magnetize' so I've been avoiding it - I've only fought one Kirin and I had little trouble landing normal 2 on its horn. I did used to farm it with a pellet gun in FU though, that was insanely broken.
Even if it doesn't magnetize like it used to, I figure it still had some value for targeting zones that might be hard to hit consistently otherwise. I was bringing down low rank Zinogre with low rank guns in under 10 minutes which felt good enough at the time.

Kinsei

Banned
Just fought my first Teostra and got a gem from a shiny! I also had a Seregios dissenter so I just need a couple more horns to make the CB!

Why do they bother letting you repel him? He has so little health in this game that it's completely pointless.

Vuze

I'll use pellet if I need to target multiple monsters at once (drome + little dromes, Seltas + Seltas Queen) or the target is especially bouncy (Kirin) and there's nobody else around to hit
Pellet on Queen Seltas? Pierce all the way and forget about Seltas, she'll be dead before he can even touch you lol

OmegaZero

Anyone got any GS tips for Seregios?

I'm having trouble getting in anything higher then a level 1 charge unless I mounted/flashed bombed him to make an opening.

I know its possible to do if you have that icon on your bottom screen, but i dont have that configuration, so im wondering if its in a menu somewhere.
Other people have mentioned the menu shortcuts, which is neat, but I feel they took the lazy approach to the solution.

When you press start, on the touch screen , options come up to customize your touch screen. The top option lets you customize it, and there is a second options list in THAT customization screen that lets you change certain touch elements up.

Everyone should really look into this. It helps out, as the default touch screen tools are pretty lame.

tuffy

Pellet on Queen Seltas? Pierce all the way and forget about Seltas, she'll be dead before he can even touch you lol
I'm just thinking about when he's latched on and carrying her around. Blasting him off with a pellet barrage while they're airborne is hilarious, and good for a few free shots while she picks herself back up again.

Sifl

I finally found a good group for Gogmazios, and about 20-25 minutes in I dced. I finished him off by myself with under 5 mins left. Never fighting this guy again.

la_briola

Where'd you get yours? I've been trying to hunt (heh) one down for the XL but all the import shops (all 2 of them) I know of have been out of stock despite being launched in Dec 2014. I mean, seriously...?
ebay, just search for cyber gadget grip and New Nintendo 3DS.

Dice

Is there a melding guide or is it just random? So far it has been completely useless.

I'm just thinking about when he's latched on and carrying her around. Blasting him off with a pellet barrage while they're airborne is hilarious, and good for a few free shots while she picks herself back up again.
Airborne? Never saw that. Artillery God + Crag shot repeater + Attack up + Bombardier

12 explosions in 4-5 seconds, knocked down for a reload to another round. Queen has taken major damage and soon runs, Seltas ejected and already limping.

Pierce only goes through x amount of parts. However, on a monster like Naj or other long/big ones, it's almost guaranteed to hit its max amount, doing a ton of damage; it'll also probably pass through the tougher parts and hit the weaker areas like bellies and backs and stuff. If you're fighting, say, Congalala, Pierce would be terrible because it'll pass right through him only hitting him maybe once or twice. You'd be better off with Normal.

Hey can someone explain how the online works in this game because I'm kinda lost.

I just went online (I thought) but did my one and only guild quest by myself? I don't get it. It didn't seem to look for players or anything. Maybe I should have set up a gathering hall but then when I tried to do that I couldn't pick my guild quest, I could just specify a range of quest levels?

...and then there's the friend for hire gong :/ ??

I'm baffled, someone please explain.

ohkay

You can get extra health and damage from the kitchen and items. Sharpening speed (and cutting dulling speed in half) is only gonna come from armor skills.
I think attack up from armor stacks with the kitchen attack buff, so you'd still want both.

Hey can someone explain how the online works in this game because I'm kinda lost.

I just went online (I thought) but did my one and only guild quest by myself? I don't get it. It didn't seem to look for players or anything. Maybe I should have set up a gathering hall but then when I tried to do that I couldn't pick my guild quest, I could just specify a range of quest levels?

...and then there's the friend for hire gong :/ ??

I'm baffled, someone please explain.

To go online, you have to use the menu from the world map. create a gathering hall only makes a lobby, which after you make one you can choose quests like normal. All of the options there are just info on the room, but you can leave it default.

The gong you refer to is right beside the table for eating, but I think you are mixing up hunter for hire with the gong. If I remember right, the gong only advertises the room to everyone, so randoms can join if they couldn't already (passcoded). Hunters for hire come from guild cards (can pass them out online) and are only useable in single player. From solo gathering hall, you can send them out on quests to get stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom