• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ckman

Maaan they really do a ton of damage. Still not enough to make me upgrade my armor but I'm thinking about just using mega potions already.

The new Lance jump is so fun to use that I keep spamming it and getting hurt :lol

Typically the only time you should die anyway is from BS combo attacks and beams if you aren't prepared for them. I have really only died from being backed into a corner and combo'd. One time I also got poisoned combo'd and thrown out of the area, fell into another zone got up and dropped dead from the poison. I love combos.

I totally thought Tigrex was going to be a big tiger. Instead it was a leapy dragon. Like goddamn that motherfucker leaps across an entire stage. Wasn't too bad of a fight, tho. You just have to know he'll leap and run at you.
Well he's pronounced "tigger-ex" in Japanese after all...

Vire

I dont know why you wouldn't use mega potions as a default they are incredibly easy to make and they cut down the number of times you need to go into the potion flex animation.

burgerdog

I totally thought Tigrex was going to be a big tiger. Instead it was a leapy dragon. Like goddamn that motherfucker leaps across an entire stage. Wasn't too bad of a fight, tho. You just have to know he'll leap and run at you.

Oh, god, it's worse when someone mounts it. It'll roll around from one side of a zone to another in 2 seconds.

Moondrop

Banned
Dual Black Gravios are owning me in the caravan. The openings seem so tiny that I get restless and then careless. At least I'm not falling for the AoE burn after beam any more. Perhaps I should upgrade from my HR velociprey armor but I was hoping it would carry me to G.

upandaway

I don't know how you are managing without mega potions, may be you are really good, but for me I always carry 10 of each.. even herbs.. one does never know when they are needed
I'm still pretty early, I'm actually playing pretty badly thanks to rusty skills, I think most of the regulars here will do much better than me

Typically the only time you should die anyway is from BS combo attacks and beams if you aren't prepared for them. I have really only died from being backed into a corner and combo'd. One time I also got poisoned combo'd and thrown out of the area, fell into another zone got up and dropped dead from the poison. I love combos.
Yeah but it's such a pain to get caught off guard and then have to find openings to take 3 potions in. I'm not using a cat either so if the monster is in rage mode, it takes me a long time to heal back up.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
when melding talismans with the fouth option to get random quantity and quality. Can you just dump your white talismans in there or do you get better results from reds / blues / greens?

Dual Black Gravios are owning me in the caravan. The openings seem so tiny that I get restless and then careless. At least I'm not falling for the AoE burn after beam any more. Perhaps I should upgrade from my HR velociprey armor but I was hoping it would carry me to G.

Build the azure rathalos set, slap on some water dual blades, and totally murder black gravios.

Anura

Spam mounts to break his back. Once you break back the gas where come out on top after the beam

Vire

Yeah but it's such a pain to get caught off guard and then have to find openings to take 3 potions in. I'm not using a cat either so if the monster is in rage mode, it takes me a long time to heal back up.

Why aren't you using mega's? You could probably only need to take 1-2 megas vs 3 potions.

I bring 10 potions, 10 mega potions and 10 honey.

I use the mega potions first and if I need more for whatever reason I just combine the potions and honey for more.

I have around 600 honey from the Wyporium so supply isn't an issue.

Moondrop

Banned
Spam mounts to break his back. Once you break back the gas where come out on top after the beam
Right, I knew about breaking his back and redirecting the gas but I'm not aggressive enough with mounting. Perhaps I'll bring a launching Palico. Thanks.

Build the azure rathalos set, slap on some water dual blades, and totally murder black gravios.
I dunno about a new armor set but I will look into a water weapon.

NewGame

Banned
when melding talismans with the fouth option to get random quantity and quality. Can you just dump your white talismans in there or do you get better results from reds / blues / greens?

I've found that the game doesn't care about any quality. It just wants 3 tali of any type.

I already experimented with stuff like:
- Using the same rarity tali
- Using tali with the same skill
- Using tali with the same slots
- Using tali with the same build (2 skills, 1 slot)

It doesn't change anything, you still get total rngs that have no bearing on the original talis you used. It kinda makes me mad because it's perfectly sensible to think 'if I can get 3 different maestro tali why can't I get another maestro tali at the end of it' but instead you get like pellet+2 and expert-9 zero slot.

Desire sensor makes me so mad some times.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I've found that the game doesn't care about any quality. It just wants 3 tali of any type.

I already experimented with stuff like:
- Using the same rarity tali
- Using tali with the same skill
- Using tali with the same slots
- Using tali with the same build (2 skills, 1 slot)

It doesn't change anything, you still get total rngs that have no bearing on the original talis you used. It kinda makes me mad because it's perfectly sensible to think 'if I can get 3 different maestro tali why can't I get another maestro tali at the end of it' but instead you get like pellet+2 and expert-9 zero slot.

Desire sensor makes me so mad some times.

Well that's sort of good news? I guess now I can just fucking dump all of my horrible talismans into the melding pot and maybe it'll spit out something decent.

Valus

Can you not dung bomb one of them away?

Yes, but it's not as random as you think. Gaijin Hunter basically said that the more rare stuff you throw at it, the higher chance you have of getting rare stuff in return.

Dreavus

I dont know why you wouldn't use mega potions as a default they are incredibly easy to make and they cut down the number of times you need to go into the potion flex animation.

Check a few posts back, he's trying out a challenge of using starter gear with no mega potions or palicos until High (?) Rank. Can't remember if there was anything else to it.

Kudos if you can do it. Personally I don't think I could get past the G. Magala fight without some upgrades.

upandaway

Why aren't you using mega's? You could probably only need to take 1-2 megas vs 3 potions.
I wanted to try challenging myself, but I didn't think they'd do so much more damage than in 3U!

Man, whatever, I'm not using mega potions until I'm failing a quest

Vire

I wanted to try challenging myself, but I didn't think they'd do so much more damage than in 3U!

Man, whatever, I'm not using mega potions until I'm failing a quest

Oh ok well good luck I guess and yes 3U kinda had training wheels on because they gave you a free 50 defense because they thought western players were bad. So you might be noticing that.

ohlawd

Lol, no problem! Did you almost get your urgent?

Los sucks...

ooh you're not using your old handle? been wondering if I'm ever gonna play with Anura and tuffy again like in 3U ;_;

nah, need more. for urgent I need

Brute Tigrex
Black Gravios
Brachydios/Stygian Zinogre
Black Diablos

also wanna do that Pink quest to unlock more Wycoon mats and the two research lab quests

upandaway

Check a few posts back, he's trying out a challenge of using starter gear with no mega potions or palicos until High (?) Rank. Can't remember if there was anything else to it.

Kudos if you can do it. Personally I don't think I could get past the G. Magala fight without some upgrades.
Yeah that's about it. At the very very least I'm not using cats anywhere in solo, except for any ridiculous "A Mark of a Hero" type quests.

Really I think I can manage for at least another star if I can get some practice on some of the weapons. Then I'll start using armor seeds and defense+ food strategically and hope for the best.

Kyzon

Anyone hunting in the G1 right now?

I want my first gunner gear to be G I think, so I think it's about time I start doing these keys and whatnot.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah that's about it. At the very very least I'm not using cats anywhere in solo, except for any ridiculous "A Mark of a Hero" type quests.

Really I think I can manage for at least another star if I can get some practice on some of the weapons. Then I'll start using armor seeds and defense+ food strategically and hope for the best.

If you want to max out your guild card not using cats is going to make it a lot more annoying later on.

ohlawd

and oh yeah you too :p

call me when you get to G

upandaway

If you want to max out your guild card not using cats is going to make it a lot more annoying later on.
Hmm how much? It was a bit annoying leveling Cha-Cha up but not that big of a deal, if this is any similar to that I'll be okay

and oh yeah you too :p

call me when you get to G
Hey! My semester starts next week so god knows how much I'll be able to play, much less online, I'll try my best though. Worst case, hopefully you'll still be around by August!

R0ckman

Probably not a good idea overall unless you are doing this for the sake of doing it, they have a lot of bonuses, thief cats for example will give you more rewards at the end of quests if they have a specific skill.

Kinsei

Banned
Hmm how much? It was a bit annoying leveling Cha-Cha up but not that big of a deal, if this is any similar to that I'll be okay

You have to level 10 cats up to level 20. I currently have over 100 hours (most of them have been solo) and I only have 8 cats at level 20.

upandaway

You have to level 10 cats up to level 20. I currently have over 100 hours (most of them have been solo) and I only have 8 cats at level 20.
Dang, I don't even know how to hire cats yet

I'll bring them around when I'm gathering or doing severely weaker monsters, I guess... that should speed up the leveling a little bit.

My main point is that I don't really have fun playing with AI companions, the monsters aren't nearly as aggressive towards me.

My standard inventory, off the top of my head:
Mosswine Jerky
Mega Potion
Herbal Medicine
Energy Drink
Powercharm
Powertalon
Armorcharm
Armortalon
Mega Pickaxe
Mega Bugnet
Paintball
Dung Bomb
Tranq Bomb
Pitfall Trap
Shock Trap
Whetstone
Lifepowder

Plus other stuff depending on the specifics of the fight.

Kinsei

Banned
My standard inventory, off the top of my head:
Mosswine Jerky
Mega Potion
Herbal Medicine
Energy Drink
Powercharm
Powertalon
Armorcharm
Armortalon
Mega Pickaxe
Mega Bugnet
Paintball
Dung Bomb
Tranq Bomb
Pitfall Trap
Shock Trap
Whetstone
Lifepowder

Plus other stuff depending on the specifics of the fight.

My standard inventory

potion x10
mega potion x10
whetstone x20
dust of life x2 (for multiplayer)
lifepowder x3 (for multiplayer)
power charm
power talon
armor charm
armor talon

la_briola

My Basic item set for Multiplayer looks like this:

• Book of Combos 1
  • Book of Combos 2
  • Potion * 10
  • Mega Potion * 10
  • Max Potion * 2
  • Ancient Potion * 2
  • Lifepowder * 3
  • Powercharm
  • Powertalon
  • Armorcharm
  • Armortalon
  • Well-done Steak * 8
  • Mosswine Jerky * 5
  • Paintball * 5
  • Mega Pickaxe * 5
  • Mega Bug Net * 5
  • Whetstone * 18
  • Honey * 10
  • Might Seed * 6
  • Adamant Seed * 6
  • Nulberry * 10

My standard inventory

potion x10
mega potion x10
whetstone x20
dust of life x2 (for multiplayer)
lifepowder x3 (for multiplayer)
power charm
power talon
armor charm
armor talon

This is me, plus Energy Drink.

My Basic item set for Multiplayer looks like this:
  • Book of Combos 1
  • Book of Combos 2
  • Potion * 10
  • Mega Potion * 10
  • Max Potion * 2
  • Ancient Potion * 2
  • Lifepowder * 3
  • Powercharm
  • Powertalon
  • Armorcharm
  • Armortalon
  • Well-done Steak * 8
  • Mosswine Jerky * 5
  • Paintball * 5
  • Mega Pickaxe * 5
  • Mega Bug Net * 5
  • Whetstone * 18
  • Honey * 10
  • Might Seed * 6
  • Adamant Seed * 6
  • Nulberry * 10

What's with your oddly specific numbers?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I always have these on me

10x mega potion
10x potion
10x antidote
10x welldone steak
1 powercharm
1 power talon
1 armorcharm
1 armor talon
5 mega pickaxe
8 tranqs
1 shocktrap
20 whetstone
5 mightpills
10 nullberries

I think it's important to carry a trap and tranqs, you never know when the hunt can take a turn for the deadly and you just need to end it ASAP. Also the more I play the less I rely on paintballs

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What's the max Hunter Rank possible? How are people already HR180? I assumed the Rank would end at 8+ like the caravan quests :(

HR999 is the max possible, what happens is after you finish HR7 (or G3 I'm not sure how it works in MH4U) your hunter rank becomes unlocked and it sort of levels up as you continue playing.

upandaway

In 3U I also always brought hot and cold drinks with me because I kept forgetting them otherwise. I just had 5 of both on me at all times.

R0ckman

HR999 is the max possible, what happens is after you finish HR7 (or G3 I'm not sure how it works in MH4U) your hunter rank becomes unlocked and it sort of levels up as you continue playing.

HR7 unlocks it after Dalamadur, then after another urgent quest fighting Ulkanos, you rank to G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom