• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

I think I'm just gonna build the rebellion chest piece and be done with dalamadur.
What make it bad isn't about the fight being boring (kinda like it actually) or about the falling meteor .....no screw that falling meteors is the worst.
It is Dalamadur dies before I can mine any shattered omens. I've mine its meteor 6 times across 7 fights and only got one shattere omens. Mind you that this material treated as middle tier drops where you need at least 3 for an upgrade. In the end you feel lile farming for two different gems for a single weapon which is very bad.

Dragging out the fight intentionally for Dalamadur to drop mineable meteors seems the most plausible method. But farming with randoms you can't do that. This is where I really miss lobby name from MH3U. If the lobby have a name, I could just slapped "shatterrd omen mining" and have three other people running around like chicken waiting for the meteor stuck during the last phase.

What make it bad isn't about the fight being boring (kinda like it actually) or about the falling meteor .....no screw that falling meteors is the worst.
It is Dalamadur dies before I can mine any shattered omens. I've mine its meteor 6 times across 7 fights and only got one shattere omens. Mind you that this material treated as middle tier drops where you need at least 3 for an upgrade. In the end you feel lile farming for two different gems for a single weapon which is very bad.

Dragging out the fight intentionally for Dalamadur to drop mineable meteors seems the most plausible method. But farming with randoms you can't do that. This is where I really miss lobby name from MH3U. If the lobby have a name, I could just slapped "shatterrd omen mining" and have three other people running around like chicken waiting for the meteor stuck during the last phase.

Yeah, I love the fight, but can't get a consistent group. Feels like an MMO raid (just know where to stand, and when), which isn't Monster Hunter, but the variety is nice.

Sometimes you just gotta drop 2 traps ya know?

I like your style.

Kard8p3

Charge Blade and Dual Blades, make every element you can, because they matter a lot for those weapons.

Great Sword, go for whatever the highest raw/sharpness you can find is. Element isn't as important.

Is there a list somewhere of what monster is weak to what element?

Kyzon

I"m back home. Anyone wanna hunt?
I'm down for whatever since I finally got my first Gunner armor.

I'd love to hit the High Rank Spider as well during our stay :D

Farmed Dalamadur for Rebellion Mail, then prepared to farm Shagaru for the Phosgem for a night. Got it on my first kill.

To be honest I might still kill Shagaru a few more time once I finish the honed blade set. Probably my favorite monster in the game.

Is there a list somewhere of what monster is weak to what element?

This is quick reference. More Xs means weaker. Honestly not that great since it doesn't give exact percentages.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tvbtc1lZBZn2kA-Mq3-jX4g/htmlview#

[EDIT: Lol, I didn't notice until now, clicking the monster name in the above link takes you to the monster page in Kiranico. Handy.]
Go here for a better resource, but takes more navigation:

http://kiranico.com/

Or, the best thing is download this:

https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh4gdex/en_us

I've now had it open for 2 weeks straight. It's only 50 megabytes, and it doesn't require an installation. Has everything you could possibly want or need, not just monster weaknesses.

Kyzon

zlCfzTEwkFgyXGg-Do

Bought the best (looking) armor I'm sure.

Hmm, no gaf rooms up right now?

Kard8p3

This is quick reference. More Xs means weaker. Honestly not that great since it doesn't give exact percentages.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tvbtc1lZBZn2kA-Mq3-jX4g/htmlview#

[EDIT: Lol, I didn't notice until now, clicking the monster name in the above link takes you to the monster page in Kiranico. Handy.]
Go here for a better resource, but takes more navigation:

http://kiranico.com/

Or, the best thing is download this:

https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh4gdex/en_us

I've now had it open for 2 weeks straight. It's only 50 megabytes, and it doesn't require an installation. Has everything you could possibly want or need, not just monster weaknesses.

Thanks! I definitely appreciate it :)

Bought the Tetsu S set, I feel like a rock now. Shagaru's attacks make me laught.

Still have to choose between upgrading to Dusterstolz or buying the red pincer, and I almost feel ready to tackle pink rathian.

PetrCobra

just a question so I know I'm not doing something wrong.

Yesterday I was doing my Dah'ren Mohran urgent with two randoms and in the second phase I was shooting at it (the usual "ballista-first-cannon-when-it's-close"), they both went in and attacked him directly, a few minutes in one of them started giving me signals and kept saying "help" in the chat, and after the quest ended he said something about me being "lol, so lazy". I thought, what? Are all players actually expected to fight the monster up close and not even bother with the big guns? Is that the best approach? I always thought that the ballista and cannon are actually more effective.

squall23

Yesterday I was doing my Dah'ren Mohran urgent with two randoms and in the second phase I was shooting at it (the usual "ballista-first-cannon-when-it's-close"), they both went in and attacked him directly, a few minutes in one of them started giving me signals and kept saying "help" in the chat, and after the quest ended he said something about me being "lol, so lazy". I thought, what? Are all players actually expected to fight the monster up close and not even bother with the big guns? Is that the best approach? I always thought that the ballista and cannon are actually more effective.
It depends on the weapon. However, more often than not, if everybody fights it head on, it'll die sooner.

Cannon is perfectly fine, especially if you ate for pyro (I can't think of what other felyne skill could be more useful in that fight). I dunno what they mean by "lazy". It's not like fighting him up close is any more difficult.

VandalD

Wonder how long I can get away with wearing my dumb Hunting Horn armor with super low defense and the weapon itself that is pretty poor quality. Group's tearing it up.

deim0s

Even once I never fought that thing in melee (except for breaking his top parts)... Most of the time consistent cannon/ballista fire would topple him in the final phase's starting area, screwing up 4 potential carves.

Wonder how long I can get away with wearing my dumb Hunting Horn armor with super low defense and the weapon itself that is pretty poor quality. Group's tearing it up.

What makes it hunting horn armor? Just Maestro (I haven't checked out your skills)?

If so, I wish I could give you charms, because I have a +10 maestro.

VandalD

What makes it hunting horn armor? Just Maestro (I haven't checked out your skills)?

If so, I wish I could give you charms, because I have a +10 maestro.
Yep! I made it just because it has maestro. I'm not actually good with hunting horn either. You may have noticed!

PetrCobra

It depends on the weapon. However, more often than not, if everybody fights it head on, it'll die sooner.

Cannon is perfectly fine, especially if you ate for pyro (I can't think of what other felyne skill could be more useful in that fight). I dunno what they mean by "lazy". It's not like fighting him up close is any more difficult.

Even once I never fought that thing in melee (except for breaking his top parts)... Most of the time consistent cannon/ballista fire would topple him in the final phase's starting area, screwing up 4 potential carves.

Seems I'm not completely crazy then. Thanks :)

squall23

Seems I'm not completely crazy then. Thanks :)
I think you misinterpreted my post. Ever since MH3, I've learned that going up and fighting it kills it super quickly and is more beneficial. (after it leaves the invisible wall anyway)

1. If it falls over a certain way, you can carve it's mouth.

2. If it falls over another way, the team can climb on it's head and damage it's blowhole which does a lot of damage to it if not outright killing it.

3. You'll get closer to the monster itself when it dies thus able to actually get all the carves.

I mean, IMO, having one guy on the ballista and cannon when it's a full team of 4 is fine. But if it's a 3-man team, I would've just went in.

jaosobno

I found this extremely in depth insect glaive flowchart.

Ka4p05F.png

You also get white from wings. Otherwise, this "guide" is spot on. You just spam XXA->XXA->XXA... as soon as you get Red+White. Orange is nice because it increases total juice duration as well as DEF.

Seil

You also get white from wings. Otherwise, this "guide" is spot on.

Jho doesn't have wings, diagram is fine =p

Really there are a number of exceptions. Tails especially vary. Some are red or orange.

Edit:

Orange is for more than just duration and defense. White+Red is just a small attack up, while having all three is large. Also earplugs =p

jaosobno

Sure can. Don't spend too much time farming the non combat missions though, try to progress on big monsters as much as you can, take a break to complete villager quests now and then (often unlock new features for your caravan), do the odd expedition, and don't be shy about going online.

Generally the farming missions are there when you need a bunch of a specific item to craft some armor/weapons, so you don't need to complete them all to progress - certain key missions advance you, and those are 90% of the time the kill a big thing quests.

Wow, didn't know this, I thought that I had to complete every single quest to progress. I just started Gathering Hall quests are some of the first are very tedious. "Survive until times expires", "Deliver X Sushifish", etc. No thx. I'd rather fight Tetsucabra and the gang.

And thank you for the info!

Seil

Wow, didn't know this, I thought that I had to complete every single quest to progress. I just started Gathering Hall quests are some of the first are very tedious. "Survive until times expires", "Deliver X Sushifish", etc. No thx. I'd rather fight Tetsucabra and the gang.

And thank you for the info!

You mean a harvest tour? Those also end by turning in a ticket that appears in the supply box after being in the quest for 2 minutes.

The purpose is to be a free gathering quest to just do whatever. You go do whatever, go to camp, turn in the ticket and end the quest at your leisure.

PetrCobra

I think you misinterpreted my post. Ever since MH3, I've learned that going up and fighting it kills it super quickly and is more beneficial. (after it leaves the invisible wall anyway)

1. If it falls over a certain way, you can carve it's mouth.

2. If it falls over another way, the team can climb on it's head and damage it's blowhole which does a lot of damage to it if not outright killing it.

3. You'll get closer to the monster itself when it dies thus able to actually get all the carves.

I mean, IMO, having one guy on the ballista and cannon when it's a full team of 4 is fine. But if it's a 3-man team, I would've just went in.

No, I understood that. I figured there were 2 opinions that said there's nothing wrong with shooting it against one that was slightly against it, so in the end how I played it didn't end up looking completely wrong. It died quickly enough anyway. Thanks for the follow up though, those are definitely solid points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom